• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Starfield

Initial testing is indicating that that is the most likely scenario, yes.

On the bright side, that surprise murder spree was a great honeymoon for me and my new bride!

I'd be worried if I married someone and they thought it was a great honeymoon to go out and kill vast quantities of people.

(Especially if my life insurance is all paid up.)

WW

I'd be worried if I married someone and they thought it wasn't a great honeymoon to go out and kill vast quantities of people.

(Especially if my life insurance is all paid up.)

WW

Fixed that for you.

giphy.gif

Initial testing is indicating that that is the most likely scenario, yes.

On the bright side, that surprise murder spree was a great honeymoon for me and my new bride!
That would stand to reason as it's a Bethesda game. Going back to Morrowind at least I can't think of any of their games where you could readily make amends with a faction that you had massacred. Well, at least not once that faction knows it was you.

Okay, I do have two small complaints.

Saturn could have been rendered better.

Mimas doesn't have the Death Star crater it is famous for.

Other than that, I'm having a blast.

I will check it out a year or two from now, Bethesda never releases anything that isn't utterly broken. When modders have fixed it a few years from now it might be worth testing.

I will check it out a year or two from now, Bethesda never releases anything that isn't utterly broken. When modders have fixed it a few years from now it might be worth testing.
That makes sense. I mean, except that the game isn’t broken. If you hate Bethesda then it makes sense.

Thee game is not "utterly broken", nor even a little broken. It has a few bugs, but so do all games.

So I was reading some articles yesterday on tweaking more FPS out of Starfield.

I run an Intel i9 12900, 32 gigs of 3200 DDR4, and an RTX3080, and with all of the complaining about performance, I felt I was doing OK with my average FPS of 70. My settings run pretty close to the Gamers Nexus suggested graphics settings guide:

1695652157410.png

One thing sparked my interest though, and that was the reported impact on some machines from enabling Resizable Bar in BIOS.

I had pushed off thinking about resizable bar back when it was an AMD feature, and realized that I should probably look into it now since nVidia and Intel now offer it as a standard. I booted into BIOS this morning and enabled resizable Bar.

So when I last played Starfield I had ended the session in Neon, a place where I generally get good FPS (average ~ 80) due to the generally low graphics requirements and lack of grass.

When I launched the game just now my FPS was 104.

Whoa....

Last edited:
Not actually spoilers, but if you're still very early in the game you might want to skip past the following...

I have not been entirely pleased with the Crimson Fleet storyline so far, but I am not quite done yet.
A lot of Mission Impossible stuff, that was *so* impossible, or at least improbable-as-presented, that it damaged my immersion.

Son Numbah One tells me the payoff in the end is pretty big, so I'm reserving judgement as yet.

Getting close to doing a big custom ship build, or more like rebuild. Got the skills, just need another couple KCr100s to be where I want to be for that.

Anybody bought the Stronghold ship, on Deimos? Or the Abyss Tracker? Thoughts?

Enjoying the game, its got its usual Bethesda pit falls and I could see past it all except 2 items, one more pressing than the other.

1. Encumbrance. Sorry nah, no more need for this, especially with the absurd amount of stuff the game throws at you vs your carry limit, EVEN IF YOU invest points into weight lifting and the way resources are handled if you create outposts, it's insanity, there's no need for this anymore, it has to just be removed entirely.

2. More importantly that ties into the encumbrance, vendor credit limits...

Look, I can bypass the vendor credit limit by sitting there for 24-48 hours and especially if I put points into commerce and I want to play the game without any exploits, it's absurd, Bethesda knows I can bypass the vendor credit limit, it knows especially as you progress through the game that if for example I go to a Trade Authority vendor I can sell like 2-4 items before having to sit there and wait for it to reset...

So all they're essentially doing is wasting my time for no reason whatsoever. I'm only at level 40 and there are already items that are like 4000-6000 credits and the Trade Authority has 11,000 credit limit... How did this get through QA?

I guess for a seamless experience you could always play The Outer Worlds while you're waiting.

1. Encumbrance. Sorry nah, no more need for this, especially with the absurd amount of stuff the game throws at you vs your carry limit, EVEN IF YOU invest points into weight lifting and the way resources are handled if you create outposts, it's insanity, there's no need for this anymore, it has to just be removed entirely.

Ahhhh - The good old days of Fallout.

#1 Enter a dungeon, cellar, cave, building.
#2 Do your initial fight and then explore.
#3 Hover up loot.
#4 Explore and fight some more.
#5 Hover up more loot.
#6 When you get close to encumbered... Run back to the entrance and dump it all in the trash can (container) normally near the entrance.
#7 Go back and explore, fight, loot some more.
#8 Repeat loot deposit as needed.
#9 Once done, load up, step outside and fast travel to wherever you've stablished your main base.
#10 Unload, fast travel back.
#11 Rinse, repeat.

WW

I'm not picking stuff up like I do in Fallout or Skyrim but getting rid of contraband is kind of a pain because of the credit cap, as was mentioned.

I have yet to build an outpost though that is my next project. This weekend was the first I really got to put in extensive play and the big picture is starting to come together for me. I can totally see sinking a thousand hours into this and still not getting everything done.

While I don't really have any complaints about the game and I'm feeling a familiar sense of immersion I am not thrilled with the level of similarity between all the planets. Yes, they have different resources and look different from one another but the same general structure is found on all of them. Once you hit a few different science buildings, caves and such you get the feeling that they are all just copied across all the planets.

I've put a ridiculous number of hours into Starfield (not even sure what the count is now, likely 200+) and am having a blast.

There are a few bugs, and a few features that could be better, but if there's a better space-opera themed game out there I have yet to meet it.
I built a C-class ship recently and armed it to the teeth, and found that my automatic turrets were chewing up my enemies so fast it wasn't really fun. I turned their power off in the power management box so I could use my manual guns and missiles instead, and only power them up for big tough battles.

Building that ship was quite a task, and took quite some while just to make it flightworthy under the rules. Then it took longer to get the look right, but it was fun doing it. Didn't cost as much as I'd expected... certainly less than a top-end ship from the shipyards!

Moving along with the main quest line lately, but taking a break from it to do some surveying and play with the outpost building system.

I've been paying attention to the music and sound effects recently, and noticed bits that sounded inspired by:
Star Trek TOS, Alien, Aliens and Star Wars. :)

Eh like every dialogue had a moment where the voice had to catch up with the dialogue. Manufacturing as well could be a lot better imo.

Starfield is on Steam sale right not.

Getting it for Christmas as I’m playing DOS2 right now.

WW

I still need to finish with Baldur's gate. I got caught up in learning about MS Fabric (which, at this point, I seem to have consumed all of the publicly available technical information about it from Microsoft (There will probably a whole bunch more coming in January though)).

I should focus on finishing up BG3 before I start my masters program though. Starfield and the new Cyberpunk expansion may be put off.

OK, I installed the game and... I got an error: Does not meet minimum graphics requirements.

WTF? I have played every game on my GeForce and it works fine, so I checked the internets for a fix and... it says you have to update Windows!

I should have known. MS bought Bethesda, and now demands you update your OS just to play this crap game? Sorry, but I dont want more spyware from Microsuck.

I got a refund. **** you Bethesda and MS.

OK, I installed the game and... I got an error: Does not meet minimum graphics requirements.

WTF? I have played every game on my GeForce and it works fine, so I checked the internets for a fix and... it says you have to update Windows!

I should have known. MS bought Bethesda, and now demands you update your OS just to play this crap game? Sorry, but I dont want more spyware from Microsuck.

I got a refund. **** you Bethesda and MS.
What version of windows are you running? 7 I assume?

I'm running it fine on Win10.

This holiday week, since I had a ton of time off, I fired up a new game and I'm kind of enjoying it. Finally figured out a few things I missed before...like that I have to research stuff before I can craft stuff.

There is a definite element of "grind" to the game and not much to keep dragging you back to the main story but it's really not a bad game. I do kind of wish that the planets had a little more diversity. It gets kind of boring hitting all kinds of different planets and finding essentially the same stuff. That kind of takes away from the adventure sort of feel I had with the Elder Scrolls games and the Fallout games.

Back
Top Bottom