• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iconic Objects from Our Childhood

434977936_347439364981086_1667563198841508644_n.jpg

I had collections of Ratfink posters, die-cast Ratfink hot rod cars, Ratfink stickers, and to top it all off a friend of my older brother did huge pencil drawings of The Jimi Hendrix Experience on my sliding closet door AND a giant Ratfink cartoon on the back of my bedroom door. (They were superb in their accuracy)
And then...one summer day I came home from two months at camp to find the drawings cleaned off and the Ratfink stuff tossed in the trash.
Pops had apparently decided it was time for his youngest son "to put away such childish things" and "take up tennis". 😆

---a game which I despised to my core because I despised the horsey set and the country club set that he aspired to so badly.
Mom was complicit for the simple reason that she wanted to please Dad and do his bidding.
Of course the closest Dad ever got to actually belonging to a country club was the MDW Army-Nay Club because at the time the major country clubs in the DC area still did not accept Jews...which was my main reason for not having any appreciation for tennis.

I did manage to learn how to ride horses, far and away from any snobby country club setting.

I had collections of Ratfink posters, die-cast Ratfink hot rod cars, Ratfink stickers, and to top it all off a friend of my older brother did huge pencil drawings of The Jimi Hendrix Experience on my sliding closet door AND a giant Ratfink cartoon on the back of my bedroom door. (They were superb in their accuracy)
And then...one summer day I came home from two months at camp to find the drawings cleaned off and the Ratfink stuff tossed in the trash.
Pops had apparently decided it was time for his youngest son "to put away such childish things" and "take up tennis". 😆

---a game which I despised to my core because I despised the horsey set and the country club set that he aspired to so badly.
Mom was complicit for the simple reason that she wanted to please Dad and do his bidding.
Of course the closest Dad ever got to actually belonging to a country club was the MDW Army-Nay Club because at the time the major country clubs in the DC area still did not accept Jews...which was my main reason for not having any appreciation for tennis.

I did manage to learn how to ride horses, far and away from any snobby country club setting.

Your dad should have told them that he wouldn't be a member of a club that would accept him anyway, as Groucho Marx reportedly did upon being denied entry to a club, but later invited.

My brother and I were avid Hot Wheels car collectors.

We had the track running all over the house.

View attachment 67500846
I had mostly Matchbox cars, except for the one variation of Hot Wheels cars that were a blast- Sizzlers. Those were the rechargeable electric cars.

One Christmas, I got the double orange track huge figure 8 with banked ends with Sizzler cars. The first version had a charger that looked like a gas pump with a hose and it held 6 C cell batteries. You plugged the hose into the side of the car, pushed down the top, and the car would recharge. That thing ate batteries. Later, they came out with a plug in Power Pit. It looked like a gas station. You plugged the car into the side, turned the timer knob on the top, and it charged the car.

Then came the black Fat Track, where the cars could scatter all over the track. We had an oversized oval in a buddy’s basement with the lap counter, and we ran serious races for hours. Good times…

Back
Top Bottom