• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iconic Objects from Our Childhood

I also had a Mr. Bim...

iu

My brother and I were avid Hot Wheels car collectors.

We had the track running all over the house.

View attachment 67500846
I bring those home for our older kiddo as a surprise when I go to the store sometimes. I like to do the whole, "Hey, what's that up there on the counter?" thing and then watch the reaction.

Those are the new ones, my first set didn’t have the three hollows!
I started with Dr. Suess, then Hardy Boys and then for some reason made the substantial leap to Dickens and Mark Twain.

I was born in 1960 and the space race to the moon was a main interest to a kid my age. Imagine having one of the coolest toys during that time, Major Matt Mason. Awesome vehicles, a space station, and other astronauts. That stuff was the best.

IMG_0029.jpeg

I saw The Toys That Built America episode on that. Kinda genius how that guy came up with this invention.
If true to history, was a lot of tinkering to give me my toy I scrolled and shook for hours!
Hell, I may go buy one now to see what I could do.
Screenshot_20240325-195637_Google.jpg
Nevermind...

Bit disturbing for a light-hearted thread. Buddy and I cruised in a Pinto for several years and luckily never got rear-ended.

I was enjoying the thread...
Now I need to go hammer on some Hungry Hungry Hippos to unwind.
I'm a festival.

This guy has the right idea but even at 5 years old (maybe less) we had it figured out WAY better.

Bottom can just needs a few holes punched in the top and then use an old fashioned pointy bottle opener to punch a hole in the side. We used 3 or 4 cans for the barrel and, if I remember correctly, the old tin soda cans worked great. Also, Ronson lighter fluid gave the best combustion. Where this guy was happy to get 40' we would regularly get 50-100 yards.

Also, Black Cat fire cracker fights were a ton of fun...as long as nobody got an eye blown out.

We'd make puddle jumpers, stilts, and kites.

Our chemistry sets would come with rockets you'd fuel with vinegar and baking soda.

The toy store shelves were LOADED with snap together models of cars, planes and ships but the glue together ones were always more detailed, though they took a lot more time.

That looks familiar. I think my grandparents had that at their house.
I saw him on Howdy Doody and had to have one...lol...

Zippy the Monkey or Chimp. 16" tall. Originally had red & white hat. Shirt with "ZIP" printed on front. Red Corduroy pants with suspenders. Black plush body with rubber face, hands and shoes. "Rushton Co" printed on bottom of shoe. No Banana. His arm squeeked too. Zippy was re-introduced to the market in the 1960s & 70s again, by the Rushton Co. He looks the same as the original 1950s version - except the 50s Zippy had Howdy Doody on his hat.

Zip the Monkey stuffed animal was derived from the famous real tv chimp of the 1950s. He made many appearances including the Howdy Doody Show.

Zippy's girlfriend was Tippy - she looks just like him except her fur is white and she wore a dress.
Tippy the Monkey by Rushton

Vintage Toy - Mr. Bim Monkey with Banana
Another popular 1950s - 1960s monkey was Mr. Bim. He came in 2 sizes. He holds a banana. https://www.timewarptoys.com/toptoys.htm#zippy

I also had a Mr. Bim...

iu

My daughter had/has that exact monkey, safely tucked away in storage. I think it was my wife's before my daughter had it.

Back
Top Bottom