• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iconic Objects from Our Childhood

b9e563606754c136e7a6ee7d519c07d1.jpg

We never got to have those. They wouldn’t fit in our desk. 😕

Model airplanes were my obsession from about 3rd to 6th grade.

View attachment 67500915

Well you and I have something in common. :)

I preferred WW2 warbirds, and they kept my interest until probably 8th grade, at which time model cars started to take over.

I did some ships too. A battleship or two, a few sailing vessels. Those generally ended up floating in a stream and sunk by BB gun fire though.

I couldn't wait wat for my feet to grow so that I could have a pair of checkerboard vans like my older brothers and sister.

Silly Putty and Sunday funny pages. Best combo ever!

It sure was!

True story, when I got engaged at Christmas, my hubby put my engagement ring in a silly putty egg in my Christmas stocking. Then he took a knee. I said yes. ;)

This guy has the right idea but even at 5 years old (maybe less) we had it figured out WAY better.

Bottom can just needs a few holes punched in the top and then use an old fashioned pointy bottle opener to punch a hole in the side. We used 3 or 4 cans for the barrel and, if I remember correctly, the old tin soda cans worked great. Also, Ronson lighter fluid gave the best combustion. Where this guy was happy to get 40' we would regularly get 50-100 yards.

Also, Black Cat fire cracker fights were a ton of fun...as long as nobody got an eye blown out.

We'd make puddle jumpers, stilts, and kites.

Our chemistry sets would come with rockets you'd fuel with vinegar and baking soda.

The toy store shelves were LOADED with snap together models of cars, planes and ships but the glue together ones were always more detailed, though they took a lot more time.

Made these all the time from dads beer cans.

Cap Guns, so we could pretend to be our favorite cowboy, in my case Lash LaRue.

1711427997100.png

The Duncan and Russell "Yo Yo" craze of the 70's still sticks in my mind. I think they had a resurgence in the 90's as well.

1/2 the kids in school had them walking the hallways.

A 40ish year old waiting in a subway "walking the dog"

I saw a Boston Cop in the middle of the Commons with one once.

Even Coca Cola was handing them out.

Did you know they still make these? I have some in my classroom for my science center.
Had one of these in 1963. So cool because they created 3-D images.

I found an Erector set that had been thrown in the garbage when I was a kid...I played with that thing for so many hours. A friend of mine told his parents and they bought me a box of new sets. I cant count the total hours I spent building things, tearing them down...building more. After that if I found something like old clocks, appliances...whatever...I took it home and proceeded to take everything apart and make things. Wow....thanks for reminding me of the memories.....

Back
Top Bottom