• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hurricane Matthew Expected to Barrel to Florida, the Carolinas

Maybe the storm will carry him out to sea.

We can't keep throwing our garbage in the ocean it will polute the sea life. Do you want your shrimp in sideways baseball hats trying to act all thug on you?

We can't keep throwing our garbage in the ocean it will polute the sea life. Do you want your shrimp in sideways baseball hats trying to act all thug on you?

I get all my sea food from the Pacific Ocean.

To all our friends in the path of this nasty bastard Stay safe. Let us know you're okay when you can.

CNN is absolutely freaking out. They act like a meteor us about to strike.

My little brother Steve is in Port St Lucie. He's riding this one out. This is his seventh hurricane. Good news is that the core of the storm won't be coming onshore. I think Florida is about to dodge a bullet here.

I'm hoping so. I hope everybody does.

During Andrew I remember phoning one of my little sisters and just begging her to get herself and her little family out. But she'd married a "native," and they always rode every storm out as a point of honor. So stupid.

As South Florida prepared for the possibility of a devastating strike by Hurricane Matthew, schools closed, evacuations began and residents prepared for the possibility of a historic catastrophe.

And then it slid on by
No damage was reported in Broward County by Thursday evening. The county hopes to reopen Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and the cruise ship hub of Port Everglades on Friday, and to resume Broward County Transit bus operations. Drawbridges, which were locked down during the storm, will resume to normal operations Friday at 6 a.m. Hurricane shelters will close.

“It’s very important for Broward County to return to normalcy,’’ Mayor Marty Kiar said.
Sighs of relief as Hurricane Matthew bypasses South Florida - Sun Sentinel

CNN is hyperventilating, but then again that is what they have always done best.

What was the theory behind leaving the dog, and leaving it tied to a garage?

Stupidity? Honestly, I don't recall with certainty. I want to say that in their haste to leave as the storm surge came in they forgot it. Either that or they couldn't take it to their evacuation site and just hoped it would make it. Apparently, it didn't. I'm always dumbfounded by the number of people who evacuate but just go off and leave their animals. Animal shelters are always overwhelmed with lost, terrified cats and dogs after a hurricane.

Stupidity? Honestly, I don't recall with certainty. I want to say that in their haste to leave as the storm surge came in they forgot it. Either that or they couldn't take it to their evacuation site and just hoped it would make it. Apparently, it didn't. I'm always dumbfounded by the number of people who evacuate but just go off and leave their animals. Animal shelters are always overwhelmed with lost, terrified cats and dogs after a hurricane.
As a loving, life-long dog owner I find this pretty sad.

I'm trading texts with my daughter and her husband, who reside on Indialantic (barrier island), but are staying with friends on the west side of Melbourne.

They still have cell phone use, obviously, and it's noisy as hell right now as the hurricane eye-wall goes by just offshore.

Weather from the automated reporting station at the Melbourne Airport (KMLB)
Temperature: 25.6°C ( 78°F)
Dewpoint: 25.6°C ( 78°F) [RH = 100%]
Pressure (altimeter): 29.00 inches Hg ( 982.1 mb)
Winds: from the NNW (330 degrees) at 43 MPH (37 knots; 19.0 m/s) gusting to 64 MPH (56 knots; 28.8 m/s)
Visibility: 1.25 sm ( 2.01 km)
Ceiling: 1100 feet AGL
Clouds: broken clouds at 1100 feet AGL, overcast cloud deck at 1900 feet AGL
Weather: +RA BR (heavy rain, mist)

Seems like they are lucky, though Merritt Island is getting hammered right now!
:(

Considering there are hundreds of deaths in Haiti... then it deserves a freak out.

My little brother Steve is in Port St Lucie. He's riding this one out. This is his seventh hurricane. Good news is that the core of the storm won't be coming onshore. I think Florida is about to dodge a bullet here.

Well maybe the first bullet, but some projected paths show the hurricane looping around and running back across Florida after it smashes up the coast of Georgia and South Carolina.

Considering there are hundreds of deaths in Haiti... then it deserves a freak out.

I've been in one hurricane (Georges in 1998). My next door neighbor, who'd never evacuated for a hurricane, including Camille in 1969, said it would be "a little blow." It was supposed to move further east, to Florida, but the eyewall came in over our house. The night it hit, I thought that "little blow" was going to tear the roof off. Then a tornado ripped through our subdivision, making a sound that reminded me of a wood planer. It was scary. That storm was a Category 2 when it hit us, with maximum sustained winds of about 100-110 MPH. (That, too, was a deadly storm, as it killed more than 600 people, mostly in the Caribbean.) After that, I decided to never again ride one of these things out (although we did stay for Typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines, one of the strongest storms on record in the Western Pacific that killed more than 6,000 people, but that was only because we got stuck on an island in the Central Visayas and couldn't evacuate.)

Anyway, suffice it to say I have a healthy respect for these storms and will do everything I can to avoid one.

Hillary blames Hurricane on climate change; says Trump ‘totally unfit’ to protect USA from ‘the threat of climate change’ | Climate Depot

Must have been nice to live 1,000 years ago, back before they had hurricanes and tornadoes.

Since Katrina, liberals have been panting and hyperventilating over global-warming driven hurricanes, and now 10 years later, we finally have one, and it's pretty typical in strength.

You can hear the disappointment in the voices on CNN, The Weather Channel, and MSNBC as this thing just won't cooperate and kill tons of Floridians. "Stupid hurricane."

Last edited:
But when it comes through again, winds are expected to be about 40-60 mph.

That's good. I thought the report said it would remain a hurricane.

That's good. I thought the report said it would remain a hurricane.
Melbourne_wind radar.jpg
Melbourne wind velocity radar shows the wind at 72 knts, but is a very small area.
I have not seen any actual reports of storm surge, which is where the real danger is.

Quite a few of the tide stations are down, (likely power outage), but here is one near coco beach
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/gmap3/index.shtml?type=TidePredictions®ion=
It looks like the tides got to about 4 feet above the tide state, but because of low tide, they were only
about 2 feet above the normal high.

Ya, the predictions were wrong, and the over selling of this storm will make it less likely that people will take the next one seriously, which as you will remember is why we had so much problem with people not evacuating for Katrina. The weather people, the politicians and the media all have massive incentive to go fear up, with the end result being that the little people get the idea that the elite are lying to them again, no matter how many times after the fact the elite recite the mantra "we just got lucky".

Well, now CNN is freaking out about Donald Trump's mouth while Fox is covering the hurricane.:shrug: Looks like a meteor struck the Trump campaign. :lol:

Power is out there is a tree limb that took down the main line. No time frame on when they will get it repaired. Truck drove through the neighborhood 6 times. Didn't stop or call any other truck to come out. We are probably last on thenlist.

We got lucky here. A few areas got it bad. I saw the storm surge at kings street in st Augustine (oldest city in the new world) was bad. The fort was still there though. Nice to see. I hope everyone has faired well. We did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom