• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hurricane Matthew Expected to Barrel to Florida, the Carolinas

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcn...arrel-florida-carolinas-n659396?client=safari

The U.S. was steeling itself for Hurricane Matthew as the monster storm pounded Haiti on Tuesday and set its sights on the Sunshine State and the Carolinas.

State of emergencies have been declared in Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina and millions of coastal residents were warned to get ready to evacuate.

"We cannot rule out a direct hit on our state," Florida Gov. Rick Scott warned. "These storms can change direction on a dime."

This one is gonna be nasty. I am prepping for this one no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df98d208192308e65669baa0c96063b6.png

To all of our friends down there, be safe and let us know you are okay.

This is looking to be massive by the time it hits Florida.

H_Matthew_1.jpg

To all of our friends down there, be safe and let us know you are okay.

This is looking to be massive by the time it hits Florida.

View attachment 67208083

Yep. It already is. I'm gonna boogie up to west Florida where I have family...IF they close my office and the storms plan on hitting us. My biggest concern is that I won't be able to get my girlfriend's family to evacuate because of the grandparents.

Chainsaw gased up blade sharp.
30 gallons fresh bottled water
Plastic, nails,hammer
Propane tanks full
Week of non perishable food
Candles batteries lanterns radio
Books games

About as prepared as I can get now it's a waiting game

I am just super thrilled to be flying around the east coast this week.

Plastic, nails,hammer
Propane tanks full
Books games

Yep. Honestly...the best prep for a hurricane is just what can get you out of the way and what you need to clean up after. Not many people realize that.

Looks like South Carolina is gonna get it now.

Good luck my southern friends. I hope this storm gets out to the Atlantic ASAP!

Plastic, nails,hammer
Propane tanks full
Books games

Wine and beer. Also, good luck.

I always make it a point to evacuate for a hurricane if it's anywhere close. Even if it's not much of a damage or storm surge threat, I can't stand being in a house in the South without air conditioning. Call me chicken, but I'd rather flee to a nice air-conditioned hotel room and go shopping or take in a movie while my stubborn neighbors are sweltering or worse.

True story: My wife and I live along the Mississippi Gulf Coast near Biloxi. In 2004, we fled north to Meridian during Hurricane Ivan. When we got back to the Coast, our coworkers teased us because Ivan was a non-event here. (We actually had worse weather in Meridian--strong wind gusts, downed trees, etc.--as Ivan followed a path north and westward along U.S. Highway 45 from Mobile, Alabama.) The next year, we fled Hurricane Dennis. Same story. We were chumps. On Saturday, August, 27th, we were monitoring a Category 2 storm that was now headed in our direction. A coworker asked me if we were going to leave again. I said I wasn't sure, but that evening I made reservations to stay Monday evening at a hotel several hours north of us. When I woke up about 4:00 AM to check the progress of the storm, I learned the thing, which by that point was being called Katrina, was a Category 5 storm with 155 mph maximum sustained winds and was now expected to hit Monday morning instead of Monday evening. I moved our reservation up to Sunday and decided to head further inland and eastward, to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (My preference is always to go north, because people always evacuate eastward or westward in an effort to completely avoid bad weather. The problem with that plan is the roads come to a complete standstill. We blew north with no traffic while I-10 was at a complete stop when we fled that afternoon.)

While many of our friends and coworkers were battling to save themselves or their property, we took it all in on the Weather Channel and CNN from our hotel room. (Even though Tuscaloosa is four hours north of the Coast, there were still 24,000 homes without power in that area. We were at a major intersection along I-20 and never lost ours.)

The aftermath: When we finally got home the following Friday, our neighborhood looked like a war zone, even though we were about a mile inland. But, while there was a debris line from floodwaters about six feet from our home that completely encircled it, it sustained little damage. On the other hand, one coworker who called us "chicken" stayed for the storm until he was forced to flee as the water rose. In his haste to leave, he left his dog, a beautiful, friendly young Rottweiler, tied to a detached garage behind the home. When he and his wife came back to where their home had stood, there was literally nothing left of it. (Not even a slab, since it had been on a raised foundation.) Even his dog was washed away with it. Today, as in much of that neighborhood, nothing exists there except brush and weeds. But he and his wife were actually lucky. A personal friend of ours lost his life and has his name permanently engraved on the Katrina Memorial's marble slab located on the Biloxi Town Green.

Moral of the story: If you can possibly evacuate, do so. Staying simply isn't worth the risk to your life.

I always make it a point to evacuate for a hurricane if it's anywhere close. Even if it's not much of a damage or storm surge threat, I can't stand being in a house in the South without air conditioning. Call me chicken, but I'd rather flee to a nice air-conditioned hotel room and go shopping or take in a movie while my stubborn neighbors are sweltering or worse.

True story: My wife and I live along the Mississippi Gulf Coast near Biloxi. In 2004, we fled north to Meridian during Hurricane Ivan. When we got back to the Coast, our coworkers teased us because Ivan was a non-event here. (We actually had worse weather in Meridian--strong wind gusts, downed trees, etc.--as Ivan followed a path north and westward along U.S. Highway 45 from Mobile, Alabama.) The next year, we fled Hurricane Dennis. Same story. We were chumps. On Saturday, August, 27th, we were monitoring a Category 2 storm that was now headed in our direction. A coworker asked me if we were going to leave again. I said I wasn't sure, but that evening I made reservations to stay Monday evening at a hotel several hours north of us. When I woke up about 4:00 AM to check the progress of the storm, I learned the thing, which by that point was being called Katrina, was a Category 5 storm with 155 mph maximum sustained winds and was now expected to hit Monday morning instead of Monday evening. I moved our reservation up to Sunday and decided to head further inland and eastward, to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (My preference is always to go north, because people always evacuate eastward or westward in an effort to completely avoid bad weather. The problem with that plan is the roads come to a complete standstill. We blew north with no traffic while I-10 was at a complete stop when we fled that afternoon.)

While many of our friends and coworkers were battling to save themselves or their property, we took it all in on the Weather Channel and CNN from our hotel room. (Even though Tuscaloosa is four hours north of the Coast, there were still 24,000 homes without power in that area. We were at a major intersection along I-20 and never lost ours.)

The aftermath: When we finally got home the following Friday, our neighborhood looked like a war zone, even though we were about a mile inland. But, while there was a debris line from floodwaters about six feet from our home that completely encircled it, it sustained little damage. On the other hand, one coworker who called us "chicken" stayed for the storm until he was forced to flee as the water rose. In his haste to leave, he left his dog, a beautiful, friendly young Rottweiler, tied to a detached garage behind the home. When he and his wife came back to where their home had stood, there was literally nothing left of it. (Not even a slab, since it had been on a raised foundation.) Even his dog was washed away with it. Today, as in much of that neighborhood, nothing exists there except brush and weeds. But he and his wife were actually lucky. A personal friend of ours lost his life and has his name permanently engraved on the Katrina Memorial's marble slab located on the Biloxi Town Green.

Moral of the story: If you can possibly evacuate, do so. Staying simply isn't worth the risk to your life.

Yep. I remember Katrina. It hit us pretty bad in Florida on the west end. Was shocking given how far west the eye was. That was a bad one for sure.

Good luck my southern friends. I hope this storm gets out to the Atlantic ASAP!

Some spaghetti models show it circling back towards Florida after it goes up the coast.

Some spaghetti models show it circling back towards Florida after it goes up the coast.

Yea. Due to a pressure trough I think. There is another storm out there behind it too

Back
Top Bottom