• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disney caves in high-stakes lawsuit against Ron DeSantis for control of district governing Orlando theme parks

Is that a progressive ideology? If you're rich you should be able to pay for special privileges? I thought progressives were supposed to be against that type of thing.

Do you know how Disney got the special district status in the first place? If you don't, you should look it up, it's an interesting story. If you do, you'll understand that these so-called "special privilges" come with a lot of expectations and benefits to the state of Florida. Disney has been an excellent corporate citizen. Progressives would not have a problem with that...hehe...

It's also interesting to note that there are more than 38,000 special districts in America (as of 2017).

There is a debate to be had about whether special districts are a good idea or not, I suppose. But this isn't about that. It's about DeSantis's ego and outrage at the fact that Disney had the guts to challenge his discriminatory "Don't Say Gay" bill. It's pettiness confused for politics, and those that will suffer the most are the citizens of Florida. Seems like a high price to pay to soothe poor ol' Ronnie's feelings. As a conservative, do you feel that's a fiscally responsible use of tax payer's money?

Do you know how Disney got the special district status in the first place? If you don't, you should look it up, it's an interesting story. If you do, you'll understand that these so-called "special privilges" come with a lot of expectations and benefits to the state of Florida. Disney has been an excellent corporate citizen. Progressives would not have a problem with that...hehe...

It's also interesting to note that there are more than 38,000 special districts in America (as of 2017).

There is a debate to be had about whether special districts are a good idea or not, I suppose. But this isn't about that. It's about DeSantis's ego and outrage at the fact that Disney had the guts to challenge his discriminatory "Don't Say Gay" bill. It's pettiness confused for politics, and those that will suffer the most are the citizens of Florida. Seems like a high price to pay to soothe poor ol' Ronnie's feelings. As a conservative, do you feel that's a fiscally responsible use of tax payer's money?
There are over 1900 special districts in FL alone. DeSantis wasn't going after all special districts, he only went after the one controlled by the corporation with the CEO that spoke out against his political actions.

Wrong.

Expired tags are illegal, Disney wasn't doing anything illegal. They had a legal contract. So it is revenge if you revved your engine, and a police officer gets mad at it, runs your plates and you've done nothing wrong, but issues a ticket for something they made up.
So not only don't you know what "deflection" means but you also don't know what an analogy is.

Reactions: PoS
It's also worth noting that Disney holds spot #11 for the most charitable corporations in America.

But, yeah, **** those guys, they like the gays...

Really? So then it is your assertion that the special dynamic that Disney had was not unique, and that it's prolific all over the place, even for poor people?
It doesn't have to be prolific or held by many to not be unique nor to be something not allowed.

I get privileges due to my service in the military that not everyone else gets. That is a privilege based on benefit seen from something I do/did. Disney brings in economic benefits, huge economic benefits to Florida, specifically that area, so they are given privilege for that service, agreed upon by the government and others, who do/did the same as Disney, could get similar benefits/privilege.

*lying, which is what you were doing with your post.
I most certainly am not. You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the specifics of the agreement so knock off the personal insults.

So not only don't you know what "deflection" means but you also don't know what an analogy is.
I certainly know what an incorrect analogy is, which is what you tried to pass off.

There are 1900 special districts in FL. DeSantis didn't go after special districting, in an act of government revenge against political speech, he used government force to remove Disney's special districting. That's it, that's all there is to it. You are wrong.

Yup, make political statements and be punished through force of government. The American Way.
AND, for anyone who thinks us libertarians march in lock step, read this and the preceding post!

Huh? This is a company town type of situation, and progressives (at least last time I checked) where not in support of that.

Huh? This is a company town type of situation, and progressives (at least last time I checked) where not in support of that.

I can't be bothered to explain progressivism to you, it's not the topic of this thread. Especially since you ducked my question about conservatism. And everything else in that post.

I certainly know what an incorrect analogy is, which is what you tried to pass off.

There are 1900 special districts in FL. DeSantis didn't go after special districting, in an act of government revenge against political speech, he used government force to remove Disney's special districting. That's it, that's all there is to it. You are wrong.
Now who's distorting? If Disney's case was strong they'd stick with it and win.

Logical fallacy, it may be more beneficial to put their appeal on hold and work on a compromise. There are many cases of parties or individuals with strong cases who instead settle outside of court.

There are over 1900 special districts in FL. DeSantis didn't go after all 1900+ special districts. He singled out Disney and their contract with the state of FL because the former CEO spoke out against DeSantis and his laws. This is obviously a targeted attack on Disney by the government of FL in response to the political speech of the former CEO.

Time is a tool too. Why spend a fortune on battling an outgoing douchebag? You don't get to be an empire like Disney by acting dumb.

Think of it like how the world tolerated Trump. It's one of the best things about America - if you don't like how they're doing things, grin and bear it for 8 years and try again. :)

There are over 1900 special districts in FL alone. DeSantis wasn't going after all special districts, he only went after the one controlled by the corporation with the CEO that spoke out against his political actions.
Exactly. So it's not the "Go woke, go broke" idiocy posited in the OP. Oh, and how broke has Disney gone?

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 11.21.46 AM.png

Investors seem to think it's not going broke anytime soon.

Exactly. So it's not the "Go woke, go broke" idiocy posited in the OP. Oh, and how broke has Disney gone?

View attachment 67501456

Investors seem to think it's not going broke anytime soon.
MAGAs have started taking delight in the use of government force against speech they don't like.

Quite honestly, MAGAs have become as obnoxious, if not more, than the ultra-woke folk.

What’s with the emoji?

DiSantis acted out of pure political spite. Punishing a business for not embracing his racist politics.

And you support that????

Boom! Just as I predicted, Disney loses! Get woke go broke! This is a win for democracy, justice and the American way. :love:
The title is wrong. Disney didn't cave, which I believe s contrary to the Breaking News Guidelines.
Exact same title as the cited article

Logical fallacy, it may be more beneficial to put their appeal on hold and work on a compromise. There are many cases of parties or individuals with strong cases who instead settle outside of court.

There are over 1900 special districts in FL. DeSantis didn't go after all 1900+ special districts. He singled out Disney and their contract with the state of FL because the former CEO spoke out against DeSantis and his laws. This is obviously a targeted attack on Disney by the government of FL in response to the political speech of the former CEO.
You really do like to do nothing but repeat, like a broken record. You've yet to rebut the point made. You assertion, with that statement, is that the same dynamic that Disney had exists all over the place, yet Disney isn't pushing it. If your assertion held water then their case would be very strong and there'd be no reason to drop it. Disney is worth over $200 billion. They have lawyers on retainer. They should easily be able to make their case with no hiccups, if anything you're saying is true.

the OP searches for any Republican story he can push in hopes that Republicans are winning something.

and then swears he's not a Republican. it's weird stuff.

But increasingly common amongst trump types.

You really do like to do nothing but repeat, like a broken record. You've yet to rebut the point made. You assertion, with that statement, is that the same dynamic that Disney had exists all over the place, yet Disney isn't pushing it. If your assertion held water then their case would be very strong and there'd be no reason to drop it. Disney is worth over $200 billion. They have lawyers on retainer. They should easily be able to make their case with no hiccups, if anything you're saying is true.
No, you haven't made a valid argument. You've used improper analogies, you pretended that Disney was up to something shady and that's why they got their special district revoked, but none of that is true.

Your use of logical fallacies also don't make your point. Plenty of people with strong cases will settle out of court for a variety of reason. It doesn't mean their cases are weak if they do. So that's just logical fallacy. I am merely repeating the facts of this situation, which you will not deal with. DeSantis went after only 1 of the over 1900 special districts in FL, and he went after that special district because the former CEO spoke out against DeSantis and the laws he was endorsing. That's what happened, that's just fact. You are still wrong.

Boom! Just as I predicted, Disney loses! Get woke go broke! This is a win for democracy, justice and the American way. :love:
Did they though? 😑

From the OP article:

The agreement came a day after the appointment of a new board member, replacing a DeSantis-appointed board chairman who was a Disney critic. Under the deal, covenants and a development agreement Disney supporters on the board made with the company just before the state takeover would be dropped and the new board agreed to operate under an earlier plan.

The new DeSantis appointees claimed the “eleventh-hour deals” neutered their powers and the district sued the company in state court in Orlando to have the contracts voided.

Instead, a comprehensive plan from 2020 will be used with the new board able to make changes to it, and the agreement suggests Disney and the new board will negotiate a new development agreement in the near future.

Seems to me, in the end Ron "Death"Santis didn't get what he wanted.

Is Disney still the powerhouse Disney of old?

I have to admit, my kids are a bit older and haven't watched Disney movies the past 5-7 years but I used to enjoy watching them myself back then, and before that they were putting out great work.

Has their content dried up, gone stale, (woke?), or are they the same as they have been?
Ever heard of the Marvel Universe or Star Wars?

Somehow, I think Disney's going to do just fine for the foreseeable future.

Ever heard of the Marvel Universe or Star Wars?

Somehow, I think Disney's going to do just fine for the foreseeable future.
Yes, clearly I remember the Disney of old (and Marvel and Star wars are both fairly old)

"Has their content dried up, gone stale, (woke?), or are they the same as they have been?"

Yes, clearly I remember the Disney of old (and Marvel and Star wars are both fairly old)

"Has their content dried up, gone stale, (woke?), or are they the same as they have been?"
So do I. Disney has a tradition of retelling old stories well. I think they still do that very well even as reboots. It's disappointing Disney closed its vault of classic animated movies. So, if you were lucky enough to get Cinderella, Snow White, Pinocchio on DVD, you're golden. VHS...😭

Back
Top Bottom