• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disney caves in high-stakes lawsuit against Ron DeSantis for control of district governing Orlando theme parks

Is Disney still the powerhouse Disney of old?

I have to admit, my kids are a bit older and haven't watched Disney movies the past 5-7 years but I used to enjoy watching them myself back then, and before that they were putting out great work.

Has their content dried up, gone stale, (woke?), or are they the same as they have been?
woke, almost everywhere.

Reactions: PoS

Boom! Just as I predicted, Disney loses! Get woke go broke! This is a win for democracy, justice and the American way. :love:
The government is the ruler of the land.

Remember this, Republicans, when the shoe is on the other foot.

It will make debates about policy instead of reality.

Yup, make political statements and be punished through force of government. The American Way.
You consider not having a special exemption being removed, that no one else has, as a punishment? I call that upholding standards and fairness.

You consider not having a special exemption being removed, that no one else has, as a punishment? I call that upholding standards and fairness.
Lots of others have that special exemption, and it is still in place. They weren't really that special.

And even the OP recognized that it was because they went "woke" not because of any actual concerns about fairness.

The whole ordeal has been idiotic

It was dumb for Disney to wade into politics

It was dumb to give them basically lifetime defacto control over a portion of the state.

It was dumb to try to remove that control simply because they got themselves involved in politics

Just stupid from start to finish
The whole thing is well overblown, this is true. But I do think there's a serious issue at the heart of this specific case.

The former CEO came out against DeSantis' "Don't say gay" bill and made a public statement. Was it dumb? Probably, but that's still political speech and the CEO is an individual who possesses the right (as do we all) to do so. Now if consumers of Disney product heard that and were outraged or put off and decided not to buy Disney stuff, that would be one thing. Disney isn't owed anyone's money, and consumers may buy what they want. There's really no issue in that case, just a consequence for the political speech made by other individuals. It happened with Anheuser Busch, and while I thought the "boycott" was rather overblown and melodramatic, it was a perfectly legal way to respond.

Here, however, it isn't the public or individuals reacting to political speech. It was DeSantis himself acting in full authority of his office as Governor. And that's the government. DeSantis did not like that the CEO spoke out against his bill, his authority, and as a result he used his position as a government agent to enact punishment against Disney itself. Now surely, Disney isn't owed the special districting it had traditionally enjoyed, and there could very well be situations where the government of Florida would seek to end that special treatment as it no longer serving Florida's interest. But that wasn't the case here, here DeSantis used it as punishment against the Disney corporation for the political speech of a former CEO. And in this case then, it is government force against the free expression of political speech.

In this term, it's not just some dumb move by DeSantis and Disney in some Reality TV moment. In this case it is the actual use of government force as punishment for political speech. And I think that goes far beyond "dumb" and well into the line of criminal action by government. Government is restricted, not the People. And while it may have been dumb for the Disney CEO to make a political comment, it is not within the proper powers of government to punish the corporation for that individual's speech. I believe it is dangerous to allow DeSantis to believe he's won here because we are talking of an act of government force against free speech. It's dangerous for government to believe that it has power over speech and may punish corporations for the speech of the individuals making up the corporation.

Boom! Just as I predicted, Disney loses! Get woke go broke! This is a win for democracy, justice and the American way. :love:

I think we can all breath a sigh of relief now.

Does this mean the Disney characters will no longer be grooming children for anal sex?

Or, maybe they ought not to bite the hand that feeds them...

Seems to me like they have paid for their privilege in full.

Or, maybe they ought not to bite the hand that feeds them...

Seems to me like they have paid for their privilege in full.
Is that a progressive ideology? If you're rich you should be able to pay for special privileges? I thought progressives were supposed to be against that type of thing.

The whole thing is well overblown, this is true. But I do think there's a serious issue at the heart of this specific case.

The former CEO came out against DeSantis' "Don't say gay" bill and made a public statement. Was it dumb? Probably, but that's still political speech and the CEO is an individual who possesses the right (as do we all) to do so. Now if consumers of Disney product heard that and were outraged or put off and decided not to buy Disney stuff, that would be one thing. Disney isn't owed anyone's money, and consumers may buy what they want. There's really no issue in that case, just a consequence for the political speech made by other individuals. It happened with Anheuser Busch, and while I thought the "boycott" was rather overblown and melodramatic, it was a perfectly legal way to respond.

Here, however, it isn't the public or individuals reacting to political speech. It was DeSantis himself acting in full authority of his office as Governor. And that's the government. DeSantis did not like that the CEO spoke out against his bill, his authority, and as a result he used his position as a government agent to enact punishment against Disney itself. Now surely, Disney isn't owed the special districting it had traditionally enjoyed, and there could very well be situations where the government of Florida would seek to end that special treatment as it no longer serving Florida's interest. But that wasn't the case here, here DeSantis used it as punishment against the Disney corporation for the political speech of a former CEO. And in this case then, it is government force against the free expression of political speech.

In this term, it's not just some dumb move by DeSantis and Disney in some Reality TV moment. In this case it is the actual use of government force as punishment for political speech. And I think that goes far beyond "dumb" and well into the line of criminal action by government. Government is restricted, not the People. And while it may have been dumb for the Disney CEO to make a political comment, it is not within the proper powers of government to punish the corporation for that individual's speech. I believe it is dangerous to allow DeSantis to believe he's won here because we are talking of an act of government force against free speech. It's dangerous for government to believe that it has power over speech and may punish corporations for the speech of the individuals making up the corporation.
You presented it better than I could.

Whether it is dumb or not for any company to speak in favor or against something should only be punished by private, non-government entities, if they feel that is something they want to do. Boycotts or even action by a board or those within the organization or others that do business (private business) with them are fine to take action against the businesses on a private level.

Governments should not be punishing anyone or any organization for what their people or even brand does with government action, especially not when it is being done because the person, company, brand, etc is speaking out against government action, positions, laws.

You think this is bad, just wait until Trump gets back in office (God Forbid). He's been salivating at the chance to silence his critics.

Code speak for people of color shouldn’t be allowed rights and gay people should be imprisoned
People of color? wtf does that even have to do with pushing overly perfect characters and bad plots, that are about as boring as watching paint dry, in order to sell a narrative?

Is that a progressive ideology? If you're rich you should be able to pay for special privileges? I thought progressives were supposed to be against that type of thing.
If you understood this you would know that if the agreement is totally reversed it is the taxpayers of orange county who will hurt the most not Disney. However, according to the agreement it is unlikely to happen....mind you the OP chose not other to share that part.

Code speak for people of color shouldn’t be allowed rights and gay people should be imprisoned
Not sure what that has to do with the choices corporations make. I think the hyperbolic 'be allowed rights, and imprisoned' is just that, hyperbole.

If they want to make POC or gay people the focus, then they will likely limit (or hurt) their bottom line because that is a smaller subset of the population.

But at the end of the day, it is their choice.

If you understood this you would know that if the agreement is totally reversed it is the taxpayers of orange county who will hurt the most not Disney. However, according to the agreement it is unlikely to happen....mind you the OP chose not other to share that part.
Is it a progressive position that the ultra rich should be able to pay for special privileges? Yes or No?

The whole ordeal has been idiotic

It was dumb for Disney to wade into politics

It was dumb to give them basically lifetime defacto control over a portion of the state.

It was dumb to try to remove that control simply because they got themselves involved in politics

Just stupid from start to finish
That part in bold is the entire thing. If you're getting away with something you shouldn't, don't draw attention to yourself.

People of color? wtf does that even have to do with pushing overly perfect characters and bad plots, that are about as boring as watching paint dry, in order to sell a narrative?
Not sure what that has to do with the choices corporations make. I think the hyperbolic 'be allowed rights, and imprisoned' is just that, hyperbole.

If they want to make POC or gay people the focus, then they will likely limit (or hurt) their bottom line because that is a smaller subset of the population.

stuff like , having to make Luke Skywalker, an ICONIC star wars character, a douchebag, Rey becoming a jedi in 2 minutes, plot holes like intergalactic starships giving chase at a snails pace to fill the story with "character development", killing off han solo to show what happens to "toxic masculinity" types...etc., etc, etc... all the while using the SAME PLOT as the original (death star only bigger) to sell tickets, because they LACK the ability to think of anything actually creative and good , storywise.

Star wars is unwatchable now.

Rogue one was the ONLY decent movie in this entire era.

Is it a progressive position that the ultra rich should be able to pay for special privileges? Yes or No?
Are the tax payers of Orange county ultra rich? Under the current agreement Disney pays for all the services , roads, fire, police, etc, within the property themselves. If the deal is dissolved all those costs transfer to the taxpayers.

That part in bold is the entire thing. If you're getting away with something you shouldn't, don't draw attention to yourself.
They weren't getting away with something they shouldn't, that had been the agreement for decades. DeSantis decided to weaponize that and use it as punishment for the political comments of a CEO. That's the entire thing.

This is what I tell my parents when they complain about Donald trump’s court cases.

They weren't getting away with something they shouldn't, that had been the agreement for decades. DeSantis decided to weaponize that and use it as punishment for the political comments of a CEO. That's the entire thing.
Companies do not have a right to self governance. They had a privilege and they pissed off the people in charge.

If it does hurt their bottom line, that is a choice that the consumers can make. The government should leave that up to the consumers.

Companies do not have a right to self governance. They had a privilege and they pissed off the people in charge.
The people in charge is the government, the government is not to infringe upon political speech. Removing contracted agreements in retribution for the political statements of a CEO is just that.

If it does hurt their bottom line, that is a choice that the consumers can make. The government should leave that up to the consumers.
That is what I said ...

The difference here is that this corporation was granted a privilege from the government that they took to dissing.

Don't piss in the wind, it'll blow back on you?

Back
Top Bottom