• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disney caves in high-stakes lawsuit against Ron DeSantis for control of district governing Orlando theme parks

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

The Mouse House agreed to a settlement that gives up its self-governing powers over the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which was dissolved by DeSantis in 2022 after the company opposed his “Don’t Say Gay” bill. Disney had controlled the special tax district for decades.
Under the terms of Wednesday’s settlement agreement, Disney lets stand a determination by the board of DeSantis appointees that the comprehensive plan approved by the Disney supporters before the takeover is null and void. Disney also agrees that a development agreement and restrictive covenants passed before the takeover are also not valid, according to the settlement terms.

Boom! Just as I predicted, Disney loses! Get woke go broke! This is a win for democracy, justice and the American way. :love:

Anyone who sees this as a "win for democracy" is deluded. This is a win for violating the Constitution and trying to bring about a dictatorship, government punishment of anyone who speaks out against the government.

Anyone who sees this as a "win for democracy" is deluded. This is a win for violating the Constitution and trying to bring about a dictatorship, government punishment of anyone who speaks out against the government.
Eh, Disney has spent more time building a new ride than DeSantis has left in office.

They’ll simply play the long game and wait him out.

Smart move on their part.

The whole ordeal has been idiotic

It was dumb for Disney to wade into politics

It was dumb to give them basically lifetime defacto control over a portion of the state.

It was dumb to try to remove that control simply because they got themselves involved in politics

Just stupid from start to finish

Is Disney still the powerhouse Disney of old?

I have to admit, my kids are a bit older and haven't watched Disney movies the past 5-7 years but I used to enjoy watching them myself back then, and before that they were putting out great work.

Has their content dried up, gone stale, (woke?), or are they the same as they have been?

Reactions: PoS
From the link:

Disney also agreed to put on hold the appeal of the federal lawsuit pending the negotiations on the development agreement and other matters, and it will drop its two state lawsuits against the district, one of which was a public records complaint.

Lets see how this plays out. Disney may restart the appeal if these negotiations go sideways.

Eh, Disney has spent more time building a new ride than DeSantis has left in office.

They’ll simply play the long game and wait him out.

Smart move on their part.
I'm not saying that Disney isn't looking at the longer game, and how little time DeSantis has, only that it isn't a win for democracy here. This was pure retaliation of the government against someone/some group speaking out against them, their policies. And the OP demonstrates this even with his "go woke, go broke" claim, since it shows that even he recognizes this was about Disney's political stances, not fairness in government or anything legitimate government related interest.

It was dumb to give them basically lifetime defacto control over a portion of the state.

It was dumb to try to remove that control simply because they got themselves involved in politics

So companies who speak out against politicians or their policies should be punished by the government? We should support that?

So companies who speak out against politicians or their policies should be punished by the government? We should support that?
Pick your poison.

Either curtail the one or stop griping about corporate personhood (and the money/influence they get)

Personally I come down for the removal of money in politics. I do think people (athletes, musicians and most others) , and corporations should shut up about personal politics when given the airspace for their fame or face whatever consequences come from speaking on them. (to a degree)

Disney decides not to waste money fighting a lame duck who will be out of office in a little over two years.

News at 10.

🤷‍♀️😂
the OP searches for any Republican story he can push in hopes that Republicans are winning something.

and then swears he's not a Republican. it's weird stuff.

Personally I come down for the removal of money in politics. I do think people (athletes, musicians and most others) , and corporations should shut up about personal politics when given the airspace for their fame or face whatever consequences come from speaking on them.
so you and i should not shut up but those people should?

But you said it was dumb of them to do it to begin with. We should never consider it "dumb" to speak out against politicians or political actions, legislation. That isn't okay. They weren't being "dumb" to do that. We should expect our country to be more willing to stand behind the principles we espouse, including that the government isn't able to retaliate against people or organizations that speak out against them, or "go woke" as some put it.

Pick your poison.

Either curtail the one or stop griping about corporate personhood (and the money/influence they get)

Personally I come down for the removal of money in politics. I do think people (athletes, musicians and most others) , and corporations should shut up about personal politics when given the airspace for their fame or face whatever consequences come from speaking on them. (to a degree)
Corporate personhood going away doesn't mean that they don't get rights, can't speak out against the government. Corporate personhood gives corporations an unfair advantage when it comes to finances in politics. That doesn't mean the policies of the people running those corporations, even presented by the companies, should be restricted by the government simply because they clash with the government ideology in charge. That's what dictatorships do.

Those people get rights too. You don't give up rights because you are famous.

There are 2000 special tax districts in Florida

Corporate personhood going away doesn't mean that they don't get rights, can't speak out against the government.
They aren't speaking out against the government, they are speaking out against one party in politics. But yes, corporate personhood going away LIMITS the amount of influence they have with/over the government.

Speak all you want, but your money won't flow to the party/candidate.

Reactions: PoS

Who started the stupid? DeSantis or Disney? DeSantis passed his ridiculous 'Don't say Gay' bill. He has since seen parts of it tossed out by the courts. In the end here, I agree, nobody wins. But in the long run, Disney's opposition to the fascist bill has helped people see the real conservative movement.

And they're not liking what they see.

Are you going to share the entire settlement or just the part you like.
He missed this

Instead, a comprehensive plan from 2020 will be used with the new board able to make changes to it, and the agreement suggests Disney and the new board will negotiate a new development agreement in the near future.

Disney also agreed to put on hold the appeal of the federal lawsuit pending the negotiations on the development agreement and other matters, and it will drop its two state lawsuits against the district, one of which was a public records complaint.

Boom! Just as I predicted, Disney loses! Get woke go broke! This is a win for democracy, justice and the American way. :love:

Huh... Apparently the limitation of American free speech gets people real excited in Oceania. Who knew they were so invested?

🤭

In the meantime, if you're a shareholder in Walt Disney Co, congrats, you've had a nice little month. :)

1711630301611.png

Is Disney still the powerhouse Disney of old?

I have to admit, my kids are a bit older and haven't watched Disney movies the past 5-7 years but I used to enjoy watching them myself back then, and before that they were putting out great work.

Has their content dried up, gone stale, (woke?), or are they the same as they have been?

I mean, if you google it today they're worth $221 billion. To put that in perspective, Budweiser was bought for $52 billion in 2008. Adjusted for inflation, that's $74.5 billion today.

So they aren't exactly not a powerhouse...hehe

They aren't speaking out against the government, they are speaking out against one party in politics. But yes, corporate personhood going away LIMITS the amount of influence they have with/over the government.

Speak all you want, but your money won't flow to the party/candidate.
Speaking out against the Party in charge, the government that currently holds power to make laws, is in fact speaking out against that government. It does not limit the speech rights of that corporation in any significant way, or shouldn't to limit their ability to fund politicians from a point where it becomes near limitless for them to do so. The reason most people are against the decision regarding "corporate personhood" is that it is unfair to individuals financially speaking when it comes to funding political campaigns.

Back
Top Bottom