• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christians vs. Satanists in handig out religious materials on public school [W:320]

Re: Christians vs. Satanists in handig out religious materials on public school groun

That's not an answer. On what legal grounds could you justify outlawing the practice of Satanism in the United States?

Re: Christians vs. Satanists in handig out religious materials on public school groun

Nilly prefers evil reign instead of God dealing with it. Nice, Nilly!

Well, in the realm of killings, Satan is Ted Bundy...the Christian god is Pol Pot.

That's not an answer. On what legal grounds could you justify outlawing the practice of Satanism in the United States?

It is idolatry, which is against the natural law.

On what grounds?

Christiainity is illegal in Saudi Arabia. Catholicism is illegal in China. Laws can be made to say whatever those in power want them to say. I agree that outlawing Satan would be impossible with the current first amendment in tact but there is a method for amending the constitution. You don't have to have grounds. You simply just have to be in charge and capable of changing the laws.

It is idolatry, which is against the natural law.
Again, that doesn't answer the question. On what LEGAL ground (not religious) could you justify outlawing Satanism in the United States?

Here's a hint: Use the Constitution to justify it.

Christiainity is illegal in Saudi Arabia. Catholicism is illegal in China. Laws can be made to say whatever those in power want them to say. I agree that outlawing Satan would be impossible with the current first amendment in tact but there is a method for amending the constitution. You don't have to have grounds. You simply just have to be in charge and capable of changing the laws.
That's my point. Outlawing any religion in the United States would be so insanely difficult to do as to be, for all intents and purposes, impossible.

That's my point. Outlawing any religion in the United States would be so insanely difficult to do as to be, for all intents and purposes, impossible.

You also forgot to say it would be inane, intolerant, and inapplicable

You also forgot to say it would be inane, intolerant, and inapplicable

Yes, those all apply as well. There is no justification, period, to outlaw a religion. It basically comes down to "do you not like this religion? Then don't practice it." Sadly, some people aren't intelligent enough to realize that.

Again, that doesn't answer the question. On what LEGAL ground (not religious) could you justify outlawing Satanism in the United States?

I did answer. It is against the natural law.

Here's a hint: Use the Constitution to justify it.

No.

Prove it.

I didn't think you'd be able to step up to the challenge.

Prove it.

I didn't think you'd be able to step up to the challenge.

There is only one Creator (see Aquinas's five ways).

Thus it is wrong to offer divine worship to other things.

Nonsensical demands are not challenges, they are nonsensical demands.

Yes, those all apply as well. There is no justification, period, to outlaw a religion. It basically comes down to "do you not like this religion? Then don't practice it." Sadly, some people aren't intelligent enough to realize that.

Not only that it is a law that cannot be enforced and as such it would be stupid to try,

There is only one Creator (see Aquinas's five ways).

Thus it is wrong to offer divine worship to other things.

Nonsensical demands are not challenges, they are nonsensical demands.
I've read Aquinas' Five Ways, and they are little more than rhetorical nonsense and sophistry. They are easily dismissed, and have been multiple times over the centuries. Thus, you still have the onus of proving your claim.

Think you can actually step up and do it this time? If so, it'd be a first for you!

I've read Aquinas' Five Ways, and they are little more than rhetorical nonsense and sophistry. They are easily dismissed, and have been multiple times over the centuries. Thus, you still have the onus of proving your claim.

Think you can actually step up and do it this time? If so, it'd be a first for you!

Simply asserting that they have been refuted does not make it so.

Simply asserting that they have been refuted does not make it so.

And simply asserting that Satanism violates some sort of natural law doesn't make it so either. Aquina's Five Ways are merely rhetorical nonsense. His entire basis for the "proof" of your sky fairy is just a posteriori arguments, appeal to popular opinion, appeal to ignorance, and appeal to authority. For the 13th century mind, he may have been a genius. But, his five ways is so chock full of fallacies as to be laughable. He is dismissed.

So, back to you. Back yourself up here, buddy. I know that's hard for you to do, but if you ever hope to be taken seriously, you should.

And simply asserting that Satanism violates some sort of natural law doesn't make it so either.

Which is why I showed that the claim was true.

Aquina's Five Ways are merely rhetorical nonsense.

I'll take your habitual refusal to attempt a refutation as an admission that you are incapable of doing so. If this is incorrect then please attempt a refutation.

I like how you left out Scientology ;)

Anyway I'm much more interested in getting Buddhist meditation into the schools since, unlike Christianity which says you're a piece of **** and need to kiss god's ass so he doesn't toss you in a furnace, or satanism which teaches you to be a selfish bastard who ruins the life of anyone who offends you....learning how to control yourself is actually beneficial and doesn't require any faith in any god or demon, doesn't demand your money, nor do you have to swear to believe whatever any book says just because it says it.

#runonsentencesFTW

Honestly buddhism is just as nuts as the rest of them, it seems to get a free pass compared to other religions. The central tenet of buddhism is you've got these different realms of reality above and below each other (literally above and below), and while there is no central supreme figure, there is some kind of formless moral judge who tots up everything you do in life according to some arbitrary objective good that and decides which realm you'll spend the next life in.

Then you've got the buddhist monks living in isolated temples, so desperate to reach nirvana they ignore sizable chunks of this world (sexual relationships, parenthood etc) to get a better shot at the next one under the guise of spirituality. Supposedly, Buddha's own first step on his own path to enlightenment was to abandon his wife and kids, leading his wife into a spiral of depression and screwing up his kids upbringing. These aren't things I particularly want to instill in future generations. How about we just teach kids nice things (like to treat others how you yourself would like to be treated, or how to meditate) without the f***ed up mythology attached? :)

What is the natural law and why is Satanism against it?

What is the natural law and why is Satanism against it?

The natural law is that law which flows from the nature of things. I demonstrated why Satanism is against it.

The natural law is that law which flows from the nature of things. I demonstrated why Satanism is against it.

How do we define/decipher this law and when did you show that Satanism was against it? Perhaps I missed that bit.

Which is why I showed that the claim was true.
No you didn't. You pointed me toward 700 year old rhetoric and claimed victory. That's not showing anything.

I'll take your habitual refusal to attempt a refutation as an admission that you are incapable of doing so. If this is incorrect then please attempt a refutation.

I've already refuted it. His entire premise is "we don't know, therefore God." That's appeal to ignorance, appeal to authority, and coupled with is "everyone calls this God" lines, appeal to popular opinion. That aside, you have yet to show anything about how the Five Ways proves your point.

Sorry, you lose.

How do we define/decipher this law and when did you show that Satanism was against it? Perhaps I missed that bit.
He didn't. He made a two or three sentence post, claimed victory, then tried to shift the burden of proof. So, you know...I guess it must be Monday.

A sure sign of where our society has gone very, very badly wrong. There are plenty of other, much more subtle versions of this going on all the time, but few this blatant.

We've established some rather corrupt principles, under which, as a society, we feel compelled to treat evil as equal to good.

"We've" means you and someone else. How you... and that other person treat evil is your business.

Back
Top Bottom