• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christians vs. Satanists in handig out religious materials on public school [W:320]

Koros

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Schools in Orange County, Florida may be reversing course on a contraversial decision. It appears that a few-year old policy of allowing groups to distribute bibles on public school grounds may be coming to an end, now that Satanists want to enjoy the same freedom.

Personally, I applaud the Satanists here. As the saying goes, "freedom of religion means all religions"...or, to be more homespun about it all, "what's good for the goose is good for the gander."

District meets as group wants to pass out Satanic material at... | www.wftv.com

Re: Christians vs. Satanists in handig out religious materials on public school groun

It gets waaay better. The Satanists want to hand out coloring books! Bahahahahaha .... hilarious.

Re: Christians vs. Satanists in handig out religious materials on public school groun

Satanists are generally atheists trying to make a point about religion. Like putting a statue of Baphomet next to the statue of the Ten Commandments near a courthouse.

Satanists are generally atheists trying to make a point about religion. Like putting a statue of Baphomet next to the statue of the Ten Commandments near a courthouse.

Well, I wouldn't put Satanists in the same boat as worshipers of the "Flying Spaghetti Monster". I think most members of the Church of Satan, while not believing in an actual Satan, view Satan as the good guy in the Bible. A character that championed knowledge and stood up to a tyrannical God. Similar to so called "Christian atheists" who don't believe in the supernatural but believe in much of the message taught by Christ.

Schools in Orange County, Florida may be reversing course on a contraversial decision. It appears that a few-year old policy of allowing groups to distribute bibles on public school grounds may be coming to an end, now that Satanists want to enjoy the same freedom.

Personally, I applaud the Satanists here. As the saying goes, "freedom of religion means all religions"...or, to be more homespun about it all, "what's good for the goose is good for the gander."

Satanism should be illegal.

How can you outlaw just Satan. Planning to censor 2,000 years of religious texts?

On what grounds?

Let people worship what they want to worship. Satanism has never caught on anywhere because it's not a coherent religion - it will fade away in a short amount of time. If people want to worship the sun, rocks, little bits of fuzz in their heater ducts - let em. Just don't push it on me. If I had a kid there - I'd simply tell him to bring it home and we can use it to line the bird cage. No sense in letting good paper go to waste.

On what grounds?

Satan has a cooler mustache and beard than god?

Let people worship what they want to worship. Satanism has never caught on anywhere because it's not a coherent religion - it will fade away in a short amount of time. If people want to worship the sun, rocks, little bits of fuzz in their heater ducts - let em. Just don't push it on me. If I had a kid there - I'd simply tell him to bring it home and we can use it to line the bird cage. No sense in letting good paper go to waste.
Funny...I've thought of using the bible to paper train dogs. So, I guess we have that in common.

But, that said, are you for or against allowing Satanists to distribute their materials alongside the Christians on public school grounds?

Funny...I've thought of using the bible to paper train dogs. So, I guess we have that in common.

But, that said, are you for or against allowing Satanists to distribute their materials alongside the Christians on public school grounds?

You beat me to it. I would use the Bible to prop up my heater that lost a roller.

Congratulations, you just showed conclusively you stand for what our Constitution does not.

A sure sign of where our society has gone very, very badly wrong. There are plenty of other, much more subtle versions of this going on all the time, but few this blatant.

We've established some rather corrupt principles, under which, as a society, we feel compelled to treat evil as equal to good.

A sure sign of where our society has gone very, very badly wrong. There are plenty of other, much more subtle versions of this going on all the time, but few this blatant.

We've established some rather corrupt principles, under which, as a society, we feel compelled to treat evil as equal to good.

On balance, Satanists have contributed far less evil to the world than Christians.

Well, I wouldn't put Satanists in the same boat as worshipers of the "Flying Spaghetti Monster". I think most members of the Church of Satan, while not believing in an actual Satan, view Satan as the good guy in the Bible.A character that championed knowledge and stood up to a tyrannical God. Similar to so called "Christian atheists" who don't believe in the supernatural but believe in much of the message taught by Christ.

Would that make me a satanist then? Because I've had similar thoughts despite being a strong atheist.

Why single out Satanism? Let's just outlaw all religions.

This isn't about "evil vs good." This is about one religion being given the go to pass out their religious materials to students on public school grounds and, as a result, other religions asking for the same. Would you feel different if the situation were reversed? Say Muslims had gone first and then Christians were the new group to be added to the mix? Would that change your opinion?

How can you outlaw just Satan. Planning to censor 2,000 years of religious texts?

Not that I want to ban it, but there is a satanic text that dates back 2000 years?
And he didnt say outlaw satan. He was referring to satanism.subtle but significant difference.

Not that I want to ban it, but there is a satanic text that dates back 2000 years?
And he didnt say outlaw satan. He was referring to satanism.subtle but significant difference.

The only way to outlaw satanism is to outlaw the religious texts that contain Satan, or force his existence edited out.

The only way to outlaw satanism is to outlaw the religious texts that contain Satan, or force his existence edited out.
Not true. Are you saying that to out law christianity it would be necessary to ban the kuran?

Not true. Are you saying that to out law christianity it would be necessary to ban the kuran?

Yes. Both are variants of the ancient version of Zoroastrianism. There is a deity that is good who creates no evil and therefore evil must originate with another source. It is the most ancient organized religion that we know of, extending back centuries BCE.
You cannot have good without evil has been so indoctrinated into the human mindset that it would be impossible to purge Satanism from society without purging Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Yes. Both are variants of the ancient version of Zoroastrianism. There is a deity that is good who creates no evil and therefore evil must originate with another source. It is the most ancient organized religion that we know of, extending back centuries BCE.
You cannot have good without evil has been so indoctrinated into the human mindset that it would be impossible to purge Satanism from society without purging Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

That wouldnt change anything. Those concepts exist regardless of labels.

That wouldnt change anything. Those concepts exist regardless of labels.

They exist because of Zoroastrianism's concepts being so pervasive that evil is an outside force whose origins are a Satan of some sort as opposed to Buddhism's position that evil is intrinsic to the individual.

What do Satanists do that make them evil, exactly?

Would that make me a satanist then? Because I've had similar thoughts despite being a strong atheist.

You'd think Americans would want to root for the underdog, wouldn't you? Siding with an all-powerful god is like choosing the ultimate George III over Washington. It's kinda weird.

To the OP, it is both amusing and sad how quickly the dominant religion in this country flees from the privileges it has granted itself when someone else comes along and asks them to share. It's sad to discover that so many Americans aren't really for freedom of religion, just freedom for their own religion.

Back
Top Bottom