• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Caitlin Clark Popularity

Gee, it couldn't be because the fans of sport - who pay to view either directly or through advertising - are mostly male?

Sport is an art and a science, but those aspects appeal more to women. It's also a contest of strength and ego, which appeal mostly to men. There is change, as men and women abandon their traditional roles and take more interest in the 'other' kind of sport. But still, if you compare interest in violent sports like ice hockey or gridiron across the genders, you will find much more male interest than female interest, in the fandom.

The rise of soccer is all about the women. The women's team ranks far above the men's team in world soccer. It's no coincidence that soccer is a non-violent sport, where physical contact is penalized. There are many other sports, which you'll only see in the Olympics, where physical contact is penalized. Men who play them are considered "sissies" but women who play them are welcomed into the American Parthenon, and their sports become respectable. Men follow on their coat tails (or skirt tails I guess.)

How is the fact that male sports are more popular than women's sports sexist? Concentrate on the meaning of the word "popular" and you have your answer.
No
And a lot of what you said is not sexist. Something that is preferred doesn't mean it is wrong.
I was very much into men's college basketball all through my youth and up till about 10 years ago.
What I enjoyed was the talent, the challenge of great players against great players. The best against the best.
And the fact I identify with male players doesn't make me a bad person. That is absurd.
If women want woman sports to be more popular, than they should support it. But, obviously, they do not.

Have you heard of the Great White Hope Larry Bird?
No, I don't follow sports. I mean, I've heard of Larry Bird, vaguely.

Caitlin Clark's fandom has vaulted the women's tournament to popularity I have not seen in a long time, maybe ever. I have seen just as many women's brackets being filled out as men's brackets.

Is this a short-term phase due to a popular white straight girl from the Midwest capturing the zeitgeist, or a permanent seismic shift in women's sports?
how about we pay homage to her dominant athletic ability and not concern ourselves with her gender, race, or sexual orientation

how about we pay homage to her dominant athletic ability and not concern ourselves with her gender, race, or sexual orientation

Marketing and revenue has more do than athletic ability and skill.

That's like saying a singers popularity and marketability is mainly based on the artists singing ability.

Marketing and revenue has more do than athletic ability and skill.

That's like saying a singers popularity and marketability is mainly based on the artists singing ability.
That post tells me you are no musician

Being white/straight/midwest gives her mainstream appeal to fans and companies trying to endorse her.

I am just stating facts. A black lesbian female basketball player isn't going to attract as much attention or popularity.
You may be right on The Black Lesbian part, but you're dead wrong on the Black Part (Candance Parker and Maya Moore) and the Lesbian Part (Sue Bird).
Those 3 aren't as good as Clark but they still go a lot of attention.

Being white/straight/midwest gives her mainstream appeal to fans and companies trying to endorse her.

I am just stating facts. A black lesbian female basketball player isn't going to attract as much attention or popularity.
Which shows that we don't care about merit as much as I'd like.

A sad testament for sure.

That is not true at all. It all depends on talent level and achievements.

"we" refers to the whole nation, and I think my statement unfortunately stands.

You make no sense. He nor you speak for all.
Your statement does not stand.

Caitlin Clark's fandom has vaulted the women's tournament to popularity I have not seen in a long time, maybe ever. I have seen just as many women's brackets being filled out as men's brackets.

Is this a short-term phase due to a popular white straight girl from the Midwest capturing the zeitgeist, or a permanent seismic shift in women's sports?

Wow! She's white and she's straight!!!11

Bucky, you have on occasion rubbed the white nationalist poop all over your face, but this time you put your head in the whole bucket.

Oh to the contrary, black lesbian basketball players, or at least their luggage, is very popular with FSB border agents

It is refreshing to see all our conservative friends here at DP openly admit their prejudices.

If anybody here bothered to tune in to the Iowa-LSU game tonight, you would have been entertained, which is what sports really comes down to. Caitlin Clark dropped 41 on the Tigers, to go with 12 assists and 7 rebounds. LSU was a very tough match-up, and the Hawkeyes battled. It’s just that they had Caitlin Clark and LSU didn’t.

Geno can say he’s got the best player in America all he wants with Paige Bueckers, but he’s on an island right now.

What on earth is the deal with this LSU coach? She seemed almost normal tonight
Usually she seems out of her mind and a total weirdo out there. I would be embarrassed to see myself acting like a total fool.
I have never ever seen any coach act like her. Ever.

2nd time I watched LSU play. If I were their coach I'd insist the two players Morrow & Reese not wear those eyelashes
during the game; one of them even needed contact lenses. Their vision had to be impaired with those extra long eyelashes
& they missed too many shots that they could have made if they could see better. Look, eyelashes are good for going
on a team trip or social gathering but not on the court.

Back
Top Bottom