• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Caitlin Clark Popularity

Youth participation in soccer is increasing, while participation in baseball is declining.

There will come a time in the not too distant future where Soccer is more popular than the other major sports in the US.

Isn't it, has it not been the most popular sport for girls?
I don't know a little girl that does not play soccer. For at least 2 decades.

The future is here, at least for girls and soccer.

Good for you guys I guess.
Never heard of her... looked her up, her stats... wow... the girl has talent.
Maybe that is why she is celebrated.

not just the stats. Her maturity and ability to communicate are unique.

Is this a short-term phase due to a popular white straight girl from the Midwest capturing the zeitgeist, or a permanent seismic shift in women's sports?
I like how you do not even bother hiding that you are trolling…

not just the stats. Her maturity and ability to communicate are unique.
For sure... I was just looking at some highlight reels... she is outstanding.
I read a couple articles, she is a clear leader and team player.
Kind of a fan of her myself now.
It says a lot about people who are trying to criticize people who admire this young lady.
Too bad.

Stop.

This young women blew me away when she spoke. I have heard her many times now. It's impossible not to both respect and like her
Her maturity is remarkable as is her skill
She’s very good at making lay ups.

Being white/straight/midwest gives her mainstream appeal to fans and companies trying to endorse her.

I am just stating facts. A black lesbian female basketball player isn't going to attract as much attention or popularity.
Why not?

Good for you guys I guess.
Never heard of her... looked her up, her stats... wow... the girl has talent.
Maybe that is why she is celebrated.
I wouldn't mind if that was the reason, but apparently you didn't read comment #1, so let me enlighten you:
Is this a short-term phase due to a popular white straight girl from the Midwest capturing the zeitgeist, or a permanent seismic shift in women's sports?
Guess who made this a white and straight issue?

Caitlin Clark's fandom has vaulted the women's tournament to popularity I have not seen in a long time, maybe ever. I have seen just as many women's brackets being filled out as men's brackets.

I'm guessing you have no idea who Lynette Woodard is or you wouldn't make such a blatantly racist remark.

WHATABOUT Taylor Swift. She's white, and last I heard, straight.
Not a fan.
Don't like pop music, and she is not really all that talented IMO. But lot's of extremely popular people in music were not as talented as others.
Lady Gaga, for instance, is exceedingly more talented than Swift could ever be. So is Jay-Lo and an array of others.

Not a fan.
Don't like pop music, and she is not really all that talented IMO. But lot's of extremely popular people in music were not as talented as others.
Lady Gaga, for instance, is exceedingly more talented than Swift could ever be. So is Jay-Lo and an array of others.
I was being satirical.

Soccer is a distant 4th to Football, Basketball, and baseball, regarding popularity in America.
So what? You say that as if it is an effective rebuttal to the points I made, when it doesn't even begin to address them.

?? Seismic shift ?? Women's sports has been gaining ground across the spectrum for many years already. Just look at the coverage our women's soccer team has been getting since a couple of World Cup victories.

Nationalism overcomes sexism. I guess that's a step forward for America.

Not a fan.

I mean, to say that J-Lo is a more talented musician that Taylor Swift is just laughable.

I'm not really a fan of Taylor's type of music, but even so, she is miles more talented than J-Lo.

So what? You say that as if it is an effective rebuttal to the points I made, when it doesn't even begin to address them.

Indeed. Soccer would still be insignificant in America, but for the world prominence of the women's team.

And no thanks to the professional body. Soccer in America springs from school sports, where soccer was promoted for being a (supposedly) non contact sport in which boys and girls could compete equally. The national soccer league realized that they had world class talent in women's soccer, and despite lack of public interest they fielded good teams for the World Cup and Olympics. Nationalism did the rest, and now even the men's team does well in the international arena.

I mean, to say that J-Lo is a more talented musician that Taylor Swift is just laughable.

I'm not really a fan of Taylor's type of music, but even so, she is miles more talented than J-Lo.
Talented overall.
Swift has an okay voice. She obviously uses a lot of tenor additive to her voice, echoing etc.
I don't particularly think either one has a great voice without tuners, echo etc.
But yes, I think J-Lo is more talented.
But either way a person sees is subjective.

Talented overall.
Swift has an okay voice. She obviously uses a lot of tenor additive to her voice, echoing etc.
I don't particularly think either one has a great voice without tuners, echo etc.
But yes, I think J-Lo is more talented.
But either way a person sees is subjective.

Sure, but Taylor pretty much write all of her own music.

J-Lo not so much.

Sure, but Taylor pretty much write all of her own music.

J-Lo not so much.
I don't get either one.
I find pop music to be repetitive as hell, unimaginative, and where the music to the song is the same beat over and over and over with a lot of flashing lights and shiny outfits.
But then... there is Lady Gaga... equally dislike her pop songs... but she does a lot more than just that. That gal can freaking sing! And play instruments very well. And act as well.
Only reason Swift is more popular than Gaga is her looks... IMO.

How is the fact male sports is more popular - sexist?

Gee, it couldn't be because the fans of sport - who pay to view either directly or through advertising - are mostly male?

Sport is an art and a science, but those aspects appeal more to women. It's also a contest of strength and ego, which appeal mostly to men. There is change, as men and women abandon their traditional roles and take more interest in the 'other' kind of sport. But still, if you compare interest in violent sports like ice hockey or gridiron across the genders, you will find much more male interest than female interest, in the fandom.

The rise of soccer is all about the women. The women's team ranks far above the men's team in world soccer. It's no coincidence that soccer is a non-violent sport, where physical contact is penalized. There are many other sports, which you'll only see in the Olympics, where physical contact is penalized. Men who play them are considered "sissies" but women who play them are welcomed into the American Parthenon, and their sports become respectable. Men follow on their coat tails (or skirt tails I guess.)

How is the fact that male sports are more popular than women's sports sexist? Concentrate on the meaning of the word "popular" and you have your answer.

I don't get either one.
I find pop music to be repetitive as hell, unimaginative, and where the music to the song is the same beat over and over and over with a lot of flashing lights and shiny outfits.
But then... there is Lady Gaga... equally dislike her pop songs... but she does a lot more than just that. That gal can freaking sing! And play instruments very well. And act as well.
Only reason Swift is more popular than Gaga is her looks... IMO.

I never comment on music I don't like. Nothing good comes from it: you just offend people.

You could redeem yourself now, by linking to your favorite song (or piece under 25 minutes long).

Back
Top Bottom