• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Caitlin Clark Popularity

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Caitlin Clark's fandom has vaulted the women's tournament to popularity I have not seen in a long time, maybe ever. I have seen just as many women's brackets being filled out as men's brackets.

Is this a short-term phase due to a popular white straight girl from the Midwest capturing the zeitgeist, or a permanent seismic shift in women's sports?

Caitlin Clark's fandom has vaulted the women's tournament to popularity I have not seen in a long time, maybe ever. I have seen just as many women's brackets being filled out as men's brackets.

Is this a short-term phase due to a popular white straight girl from the Midwest capturing the zeitgeist, or a permanent seismic shift in women's sports?
Short term, but what makes you thing she's straight?

WHATABOUT Taylor Swift. She's white, and last I heard, straight.

Being white/straight/midwest gives her mainstream appeal to fans and companies trying to endorse her.

I am just stating facts. A black lesbian female basketball player isn't going to attract as much attention or popularity.

It's not going to translate to the WNBA.

The surge in popularity of women's sports has to do with two things: the US being competitive in Women's Soccer, and right wing interest in keeping trans women out of women's sport.

Yeah maybe it's a seismic shift. But not for good reasons.

I am just stating facts. A black lesbian female basketball player isn't going to attract as much attention or popularity.
So, is that a good thing?

Yeah, she's great.

videoframe_62544.jpg

Being white/straight/midwest gives her mainstream appeal to fans and companies trying to endorse her.

Really? Any other American get released from a Russian jail?
And it was exactly because she was black, lesbian and played basketball.

Caitlin Clark, who is being celebrated on here for being white and straight.
Stop.

This young women blew me away when she spoke. I have heard her many times now. It's impossible not to both respect and like her
Her maturity is remarkable as is her skill

?? Seismic shift ?? Women's sports has been gaining ground across the spectrum for many years already. Just look at the coverage our women's soccer team has been getting since a couple of World Cup victories.

I am just stating facts.

A black lesbian female basketball player isn't going to attract as much attention or popularity.
:unsure: A blfbbp attracted global attention.

?? Seismic shift ?? Women's sports has been gaining ground across the spectrum for many years already. Just look at the coverage our women's soccer team has been getting since a couple of World Cup victories.

Soccer is a distant 4th to Football, Basketball, and baseball, regarding popularity in America.

Stop.

This young women blew me away when she spoke. I have heard her many times now. It's impossible not to both respect and like her
Her maturity is remarkable as is her skill
Have you been following the thread? You want ME to stop?
Then answer this:

It might behove you noonereal to follow the thread before you just jump to conclusions as soon as you see my name. See what I was RESPONDING TO before your desire to ridicule me overrides your reasoning.

I am just stating facts. A black lesbian female basketball player isn't going to attract as much attention or popularity
How do you know that? I thought this woman just broke the record books. You think that if she were a black lesbian, no one would pay attention to her?

Soccer is a distant 4th to Football, Basketball, and baseball, regarding popularity in America.

Youth participation in soccer is increasing, while participation in baseball is declining.

There will come a time in the not too distant future where Soccer is more popular than the other major sports in the US.

How do you know that? I thought this woman just broke the record books. You think that if she were a black lesbian, no one would pay attention to her?
One demographic in the US would be focused on her blackness and lesbianism rather than her accomplishments.

Have you heard of the Great White Hope Larry Bird?

One demographic in the US would be focused on her blackness and lesbianism rather than her accomplishments.

People were talking about the same thing when Larry Bird was playing.

I think you are totally wrong about this. The shear numbers, and the overall game that Clark has - she's a complete player - would certainly garner no less attention if she were a Black lesbian player. Beating Pistol Pete Maravich's scoring record would set anybody apart, and attract no less media attention.

It is, in fact, the rise of women's sports that has produced Caitlin Clark. Make no mistake, Clark is the inevitable product of Title IX.

Have you been following the thread? You want ME to stop?
Then answer this:

It might behove you noonereal to follow the thread before you just jump to conclusions as soon as you see my name. See what I was RESPONDING TO before your desire to ridicule me overrides your reasoning.

With all respect, I respond to posts, period
Most times I don't even look who posted them.
I have ZERO problem with you or your posts. You should not feel I do.

Also yes, I often read a post out of context.

Sorry you feel targeted, you are not. At least not by me.

Back
Top Bottom