• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BREAKING NEWS: Key Bridge Collapsed

Actually, the Toll Facilities have done away with all toll booths, EXCEPT the old Harbor Tunnel. The read your license plate and send you a bill. I’m sure the system is run by a consortium, as EZ Pass is.
I used to do the Philadelphia to DC trip on a Honda 175, a long time back. I got pretty used to the Holland Tunnel. The exhaust was pretty bad on a m/c. Then there was one time that one tube was closed for maintenance, two way traffic in one tube was way worse than the old 301 Potomac bridge!

Paywalled for me. Would have liked to read it.
Google bridge fenders
Ahhh consider this the 1st and only G search I will do
Paywalls can be bypassed, I will leave that up to you
Just Google it. Or is help needed???

Google bridge fenders
Ahhh consider this the 1st and only G search I will do
Paywalls can be bypassed, I will leave that up to you
Just Google it. Or is help needed???

Here’s an article explaining why the Francis Scott Key didn’t.

They’re required on newer bridges.

And earlier in either this (or the other thread on this incident), I posted where the decision was made sometime after a 1980 bridge collapse NOT to add them to the Francis Scott Key because of cost.

They may have helped. They may not have. And newer bridges will have fender and dolphins AND be designed with these gigantic ships in mind.

Unless you have Time Machine, it’s hard to blame people in the 70’s for this. And hard to blame people who decided not to add fenders, bumpers, etc after when they didn’t have the money TO do so.

This is a tragic situation. Lots of lessons will be learned and hopefully applied. (But pardon me for expecting it to completely be forgotten about by most people in general by the end of the week)

Here’s an article explaining why the Francis Scott Key didn’t.

They’re required on newer bridges.

And earlier in either this (or the other thread on this incident), I posted where the decision was made sometime after a 1980 bridge collapse NOT to add them to the Francis Scott Key because of cost.

They may have helped. They may not have. And newer bridges will have fender and dolphins AND be designed with these gigantic ships in mind.

Unless you have Time Machine, it’s hard to blame people in the 70’s for this. And hard to blame people who decided not to add fenders, bumpers, etc after when they didn’t have the money TO do so.

This is a tragic situation. Lots of lessons will be learned and hopefully applied. (But pardon me for expecting it to completely be forgotten about by most people in general by the end of the week)

They do help, the reason why they are installed. Yes on older bridges as well
Google it

They do help, the reason why they are installed. Yes on older bridges as well
Google it
Ok, and?

The decision was made a long time ago not to put them on the bridge.

When it’s rebuilt, they’ll be on it because 1. It’s required and 2. This happened.

NEWS FLASH

The ship " had suffered from a severe electrical problem for days before it lost power during its ill-fated trip out of the.."

"the massive container ship had sat in the port for two days suffering from “total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.”

That damn ship was having electrical problems for two days before the event while at it was docked at its berth in the harbor.

This changes everything. This was not a sudden surprise. Apparently, they thought it was fixed? This will be a major part of the investigation.

( For anyone who doesn't trust DB, I heard the same on CBS, original source was CNN)

Been done for about 6 months or so. No more tool booths, Easy Pass overhead receivers or they mail you a bill for the toll. Two lanes each way and not nearly the white knuckle trip it used to be.The old bridge had a little charm, but I always wondered if the Jersey barrier would hold a car on the bridge. We used to have a boat and seeing the bridge from below was neat.

On a tangent:
The missus and I were traveling to see her folks in DE, one year. I wasn’t paying attention and followed her through an Easy Pass Only lane. The authorities were quite decent, they sent me a photo of my plate and a bill for just the amount of the toll. I don’t see this policy lasting very long, the admin costs have to be huge.
Actually, the new Nice Bridge has been open since Oct 2022. Wholly owned by MD since the border is actually the south bank of the Potomac. Interesting that there is no toll to enter MD, only to escape.

Now, the General Assembly needs to get the Thomas Johnson Bridge over the Patuxent replaced.

A 2.6 km long bridge in Baltimore, Maryland (Francis Scott Key Bridge) is said to have collapsed after a ship ran into it during the night, local time. Witnesses state on social media that "many cars and people are in the water". Pictures from the scene show how the entire bridge plunges into the water.

The slide happened "after a cargo ship collided with the bridge", writes the Fox Baltimore news site. Traffic management "states that all lanes are closed in both directions. Traffic is being diverted," reports Fox further.

I keep thinking this headline should be "Port of Baltimore closed due to collapsed bridge".

Because I suspect that will have far more impact across more area.

We don't need an "infrastructure week" we need an accelerated time frame for the rebuilding of roads, bridges, highways, tunnels, railways and our sanitation systems.

We don't need an "infrastructure week" we need an accelerated time frame for the rebuilding of roads, bridges, highways, tunnels, railways and our sanitation systems.
We need an infrastructure decade, followed by yearly infrastructure months where we make sure all of the stuff is working right and plan upgrades if needed.

NEWS FLASH

The ship " had suffered from a severe electrical problem for days before it lost power during its ill-fated trip out of the.."

"the massive container ship had sat in the port for two days suffering from “total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.”

That damn ship was having electrical problems for two days before the event while at it was docked at its berth in the harbor.

This changes everything. This was not a sudden surprise. Apparently, they thought it was fixed? This will be a major part of the investigation.

( For anyone who doesn't trust DB, I heard the same on CBS, original source was CNN)
Here’s one with more details.

The NTSB is investigating that allegation and it has not yet been corroborated. But…Dali was in for 60 hours which is longer than she’s usually in port for.

Interesting, but let’s see what the NTSB says.

We need an infrastructure decade, followed by yearly infrastructure months where we make sure all of the stuff is working right and plan upgrades if needed.
Amen. We also need to not divide neighborhoods by interstate highways that destroy neighborhoods, school districts, hospitals, parks, cultural venues, public transit and shopping areas which leads to food deserts.

This incident will take at least 2 years of investigation according to the NTSB. There is more to come. It's time to think of the loss of those perished and to help the families who lost their loved ones.

Amen. We also need to not divide neighborhoods by interstate highways that destroy neighborhoods, school districts, hospitals, parks, cultural venues, public transit and shopping areas which leads to food deserts.
I mean...that kinda already happened?

Are you suggesting the infrastructure upgrades include methods of passing over or under the interstate highway?

I mean...that kinda already happened?

Are you suggesting the infrastructure upgrades include methods of passing over or under the interstate highway?
Neighborhoods have been divided by race and redeveloped by state and city planners to the detriment of racial and ethnic groups, urban sprawl, leading to the lack of affordable housing. They usually bypass middle and upper income areas.

Ok, and?

The decision was made a long time ago not to put them on the bridge.

When it’s rebuilt, they’ll be on it because 1. It’s required and 2. This happened.
Do you not understand that after past bridge hits these fenders were then installed
Did you miss that on your Goggle tour

Do you not understand that after past bridge hits these fenders were then installed
Did you miss that on your Goggle tour
I understand that just fine.

The Francis Scott Key bridge didn’t have them, wasn’t required to (grandfathered because of its age) and when they talked about doing it in the 80’s they decided it was too expensive.

It is what it is. There were no fenders. Standing here today going “they should have hand fenders” doesn’t change anything.

When the bridge is rebuilt, it will likely exceed all the current codes and requirements.

Now, will you stop with the snide posts about Google? Or am I going to have to effectively repeat myself again?

I understand that just fine.

The Francis Scott Key bridge didn’t have them, wasn’t required to (grandfathered because of its age) and when they talked about doing it in the 80’s they decided it was too expensive.

It is what it is. There were no fenders. Standing here today going “they should have hand fenders” doesn’t change anything.

When the bridge is rebuilt, it will likely exceed all the current codes and requirements.

Now, will you stop with the snide posts about Google? Or am I going to have to effectively repeat myself again?
Did, I say that they should have been
No
But critical ports should have them
In these days of JIT, it is a priority

Did, I say that they should have been
No
But critical ports should have them
In these days of JIT, it is a priority
Going forward we better do it to all bridges or terrorists will repeat the tragedy, but on purpose.

I keep thinking this headline should be "Port of Baltimore closed due to collapsed bridge".

Because I suspect that will have far more impact across more area.
The port wasn't closed when I starten the thread.:cool:

Actually, the new Nice Bridge has been open since Oct 2022. Wholly owned by MD since the border is actually the south bank of the Potomac. Interesting that there is no toll to enter MD, only to escape.

Now, the General Assembly needs to get the Thomas Johnson Bridge over the Patuxent replaced.
Time flies! I have lived just the other side, in VA for about 35 years. Then there were booths in both directions and as a cost saving measure, MD closed the south bound booths and doubled the toll. I used to crow that VA was worth paying to get into more than MD.

Back
Top Bottom