• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BREAKING NEWS: Key Bridge Collapsed

"Is a single engine on a 300K ton oceangoing vessel considered seaworthy?"

From what I can find, this class of ship 1 engine is typical. I believe the very large container ships can sometimes have 2.

I've been reading since you posted the question earlier about 1 vs. 2 and man...I didn't realize just HOW big these diesels are. Some of them are the size of a larger 2 story house...huge...100ft long, 40 ft tall.

Its insane if you think about it. Then the amount of DIESEL that these ships need to carry to fuel that engine. Wow. Some of the biggest ones are carrying 2.5 to 3.5 MILLION GALLONS? Consuming 63K gallons a DAY. I can't even wrap my brain around that to be honest.

(We have a Lugger 6140AL2 diesel on one of our boats and that thing is just simply an incredibly reliable workhorse. It'll burn a a couple hundred gallons of diesel in a day, depending on the trip, weather, speed they're running at, etc. and she always 500-600 gallons. Trying to wrap my brain around the multiples of that breaks my brain. I'd love to see the engine room of one of these gigantic cargo ships in person one day. Can you imagine?)

Last edited:
The tide was also going out, and there was a 15mph wind blowing out of the northeast. Both factors pushed the ship right into the pier.
Yep.

When she lost power, it was the end. And there was little to zero chance dropping the anchor was going to do anything.

I heard the pilot call telling them to get people off the bridge - they knew they were gonna hit but were doing anything they could to try to avoid it.

That's insane. He said it at 16 sec mark.
He did.

He messed up his bridges.

There are tons of bridges around and lots of them have trains as well as vehicle traffic.

Obviously this means he’s unfit to serve in office. No one has ever mixed things up before 😂🙄

A 2.6 km long bridge in Baltimore, Maryland (Francis Scott Key Bridge) is said to have collapsed after a ship ran into it during the night, local time. Witnesses state on social media that "many cars and people are in the water". Pictures from the scene show how the entire bridge plunges into the water.

The slide happened "after a cargo ship collided with the bridge", writes the Fox Baltimore news site. Traffic management "states that all lanes are closed in both directions. Traffic is being diverted," reports Fox further.

I hope they were insured for that much damage.

Probably closer to $500-600M for a bridge. I don’t think it will crack a billion.

Where did you hear $42B?

42 was a typo.

The Woodrow Wilson bridge over the Potomac came in at $1 billion, twenty years ago shorter span too), and the planned high speed rail bridge over the Susquehanna River is expected to cost a billion.

Both are shorter spans, and don’t have to clear nearly 200’.

Probably closer to $500-600M for a bridge. I don’t think it will crack a billion.

Where did you hear $42B?
The Woodrow Wilson Bridge crosses the Potomac, just south of DC, was replaced a few years ago and cost 2.3 billion WW is about 6k feet long. Key Bridge was 57k feet long.

42 was a typo.

The Woodrow Wilson bridge over the Potomac came in at $1 billion, twenty years ago shorter span too), and the planned high speed rail bridge over the Susquehanna River is expected to cost a billion.

Ok. I could see the $2B number then.

Thought you were smoking some good stuff over there with a $42B number 😂

The Woodrow Wilson Bridge crosses the Potomac, just south of DC, was replaced a few years ago and cost 2.3 billion WW is about 6k feet long. Key Bridge was 57k feet long.
Yeah, I can see that.

I was doubling the original cost of the FSKey in today dollars. And obviously that’s grossly inadequate

Yes we know you're a millimeter away from being a Sov Cit.
Hardly. It's you Lefties who take what the govt. says as Gospel. Us Right Libertarians don't trust a damn thing it says.

42 was a typo.

How much did the Woodrow Wilson Bridge cost?

Woodrow Wilson Bridge - Wikipedia

Starting in 2001 with a Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)-approved financial plan budget of $2.44 billion (equivalent to $3.88 billi

Yeah, I can see that.

I was doubling the original cost of the FSKey in today dollars. And obviously that’s grossly inadequate
Honestly, I think it will be closer to 42 billion than we think. About 10x the WW span. 2022 dollars was almost 4 billion.

They are talking about the economic fallout in the Port of Baltimore and I was reminded of season 2 of “The Wire,” that was played against the backdrop of the longshoremen at the port.

Houston is a long way from Baltimore and the East Coast so thx anyway. The East Coast has plenty of port resources to deal with this challenge. We anyway don't need people down over there who call us Yankees thx again.
A little thin-skinned Tangmo? No offense intended. How 'bout y'all north easterners - that's not offensive is it?

Now exiting stage south, walking gingerly on eggshells ....

Back
Top Bottom