• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your days are numbered

Damn! It looks like I should have died 4 years ago. And that doesn't even take into account the fact I've been hit by a freight train, shot, stabbed twice, flatlined twice while in a 4 day coma, had an industrial dumpster dropped on me, drug under water by a ski rope wrapped around my foot for at least a quarter mile, and have been in at least 8 or 9 vehicle accidents. ( two with multiple fatalities.) All gravy from here on out! Cheers!

Damn! It looks like I should have died 4 years ago. And that doesn't even take into account the fact I've been hit by a freight train, shot, stabbed twice, flatlined twice while in a 4 day coma, had an industrial dumpster dropped on me, drug under water by a ski rope wrapped around my foot for at least a quarter mile, and have been in at least 8 or 9 vehicle accidents. ( two with multiple fatalities.) All gravy from here on out! Cheers!

My, you've certainly lived an interesting life.
Proof positive that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

My, you've certainly lived an interesting life.
Proof positive that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Yeah...I've been told by many I should write a book. You kinda take it for granted until you get older ( now 66 ), but now as I look back, I just think WOW! I'm one lucky,resilient sunuvagun. I could put out the info and the train crash and the shooting ( which took place during a liquor store robbery/murder ) can be easily googled, but of course, that would entail my RL name being exposed....Can't be doing that.

From: "This calculator will guess how many healthy years of life you have left"

As the old saying goes, the only things certain in life are death and taxes. While death is inevitable, the quality of life you experience until death is often within an individual’s control.

This is what our team at the Goldenson Center for Actuarial Research chose to focus on by developing a rigorous measure of quality of life. How many healthy years of life do you have ahead before you become unhealthy?​

Try out the calculator and see how long you have left.

Note:
I'm not asking anyone to share their results. I'm not because I don't care how much longer anyone thinks you have left. I merely thought some folks may find the thing entertaining.​

It said I was already dead.

I'm sixty-two now, smoked since I was fourteen, never drink (except maybe once a year) I am about thirty pounds overweight and have Type 2 diabetes, but I get a wee bit of moderate exercise and I get lots of sleep.
This sleep business intrigues me. I'm 5 years older than you and I get lots of sleep too. Aren't us older folks supposed to have problems sleeping?

I recently quit smoking, but I am pretty sure the damage was done a long time ago.
Most likely some damage was done. However, if you're not having breathing problems, you might have dodged a bullet. If the LA air quality doesn't get you, the smokes may not getcha either. Now...get out there and pound that pavement, young man !!

PS: How are your wife and son doing?

Yeah...I've been told by many I should write a book. You kinda take it for granted until you get older ( now 66 ), but now as I look back, I just think WOW! I'm one lucky,resilient sunuvagun. I could put out the info and the train crash and the shooting ( which took place during a liquor store robbery/murder ) can be easily googled, but of course, that would entail my RL name being exposed....Can't be doing that.

I'm about your age and have some minor old-age creakiness, but nothing serious.
So, I'm curious as to what sorts of aches and pains you have.
That freight train collision and dumpster drop sound pretty rough.

You definitely have me beat by a mile!

I got shot once, but it was just a graze in the shoulder, but I've never been hit by a train, stabbed, never flatlined or had a dumpster dropped on me or been dragged underwater.
The worst accident I was ever in was at a dragstrip when a Camaro smacked the car I was driving (a 1962 Ford Falcon with a tube frame, fiberglass hood, trunk and front and rear quarter panels, and a blown 440 big block) into a wall at 175 mph.

The rest of the accidents I've been in I didn't really get hurt in unless I count being rammed into the metal dashboard of my Dad's 1957 Olds at age six.
My fault, I was kneeling on the back seat and leaning on the front seat and he had to slam on his brakes suddenly. A 1957 Olds didn't have seat belts and it did not have locking front seatbacks so I just sailed right over and into the dashboard face first. Broken nose and dislocated upper jaw.

I have gotten the crap beat out of me, once by NINE guys and once by three guys, but I remained conscious the whole time both times.
I've fallen down embankments probably eight or nine times covering car accidents for the news.
That's why my knees and ankles are shot to Hell now.

My Results:
Results​

• [*=1]Your predicted future healthy years is 40.7 Years
    [*=1]Your Relative Healthy Life Expectancy is about 67.7% above Average
    [*=1]Your predicted future unhealthy years is 2.1 Years
    [*=1]Your predicted future total years of living is 42.8 Years, i.e. Your predicted age at death is 60 + 42.8 (Current Age + Life Expectancy) = 102.8 Years
    [*=1]Your predicted future unhealthy years, if disabled by a cognitive disease, is 2.7 Years

How does my lifestyle affect my Healthy Life Expectancy?​

• [*=1]You are doing a great job exercising, keep up the great work
    [*=1]At the moment your BMI is looking good, but make sure you keep an eye on it
    [*=1]By sleeping more each night you can increase your healthy life expectancy by 2.55% which is about 12.5 months
    [*=1]Your alcohol consumption has little effect on your healthy life expectancy
    [*=1]Not smoking has a positive impact on your healthy life expectancy

I will say this: that point-eight crap's gotta go. 102.8 is too close to 103 to not be 103. I've never been the type who was good with 80%. I'm the sort who operates on the principle of "if doing what you've been doing got you to 8 of 10, then you can do a little bit more and get to 10 of 10.
  • 1.0 to 1.6 ==> I'm happy to have gotten to 1 and I can make my peace with not getting to 2.
  • 1.7 ==> Are you sure you can't work hard and get 2?
  • 1.8 to 1.9999999 ==> You better figure out what to do to get to 2, and then do it.

I'm really not expecting to make it to 100-anything, let alone 102.8, although, if only two of the years (cumulative or variously) between then and now are unhealthy, maybe living that long wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. That said, however great be it to live that long, there's one downside I hadn't thought about planning for that prudence suggests I should: the risk that I outlive my life insurance policy, thus finding myself faced with a huge taxable event rather than providing my kids with non-taxable events. As if estate taxes' very existence isn't insulting enough, having a huge tax bill for having lived too damn long is even worse.

Last edited:
This sleep business intrigues me. I'm 5 years older than you and I get lots of sleep too. Aren't us older folks supposed to have problems sleeping?

Most likely some damage was done. However, if you're not having breathing problems, you might have dodged a bullet. If the LA air quality doesn't get you, the smokes may not getcha either. Now...get out there and pound that pavement, young man !!

Yeah..I hope my good friend CHEX-man dodged that bullet. My wife ( also 66 ) was a heavy life long smoker until about 5 years ago. She now has a very serious case of COPD and can barely climb a flight of stairs without dropping. Take all kinds of meds, inhalers, etc.

I guarantee you I have COPD at this point.
Son is doing great. He's not following orders to the letter but he IS getting a bit more exercise and most importantly he IS taking his meds religiously now.

Wife has about three more weeks to go, stuck and immobilized in that "Clinitron Bed" while her flap surgery heals.
She is going stir crazy and wants to come home in the worst way.
She misses her kids, her dog, her kitty cats, and even me.

It's very lonely not having her here, but at least the VA is treating her very well, as they always do.
Did I tell you that they actually FIGHT over which ward gets her as their patient when she gets admitted?
I swear to God, one of the nurses said it matter of factly, as if we both knew.
They really love Karen very much, and it shows.

I have learned to WAKE UP and GET UP when I first wake up no matter how many hours it has been because if I go back to sleep again I feel like pure crap.

I got my preparations in place.

That^

I figure once one passes 40, it's time to start planning for expiry because no matter how healthy and fit one is, as far as one's body is concerned, one's best years have passed. One's brain cells may say "I feel fine," but one's body cells know better.

Yeah..I hope my good friend CHEX-man dodged that bullet. My wife ( also 66 ) was a heavy life long smoker until about 5 years ago. She now has a very serious case of COPD and can barely climb a flight of stairs without dropping. Take all kinds of meds, inhalers, etc.

I am not that bad but put it this way, I used to be able to do voice over work and read an entire paragraph on one breath whereas nowadays I have to stop and get a breath every other sentence. I don't get winded climbing stairs and I don't take any inhalers or anything else.
It's just that I have the lung capacity of a small soap dish compared to what I used to have and I can tell.

Moving and losing weight kind of complement each other.

According to a report on world obesity from 2017:

At least we aren't number 1.

Well, yes, but given the length of the list as a whole, being in the top 20 sucks just as bad, particularly seeing as the US is a nation wherein, short of a physiological condition that directly makes one be so, there's really no good reason for people's being obese. I mean, really. The US is the only OECD nation in the the to 19 you listed.

You definitely have me beat by a mile!

I got shot once, but it was just a graze in the shoulder, but I've never been hit by a train, stabbed, never flatlined or had a dumpster dropped on me or been dragged underwater.
The worst accident I was ever in was at a dragstrip when a Camaro smacked the car I was driving (a 1962 Ford Falcon with a tube frame, fiberglass hood, trunk and front and rear quarter panels, and a blown 440 big block) into a wall at 175 mph.

The rest of the accidents I've been in I didn't really get hurt in unless I count being rammed into the metal dashboard of my Dad's 1957 Olds at age six.
My fault, I was kneeling on the back seat and leaning on the front seat and he had to slam on his brakes suddenly. A 1957 Olds didn't have seat belts and it did not have locking front seatbacks so I just sailed right over and into the dashboard face first. Broken nose and dislocated upper jaw.

I have gotten the crap beat out of me, once by NINE guys and once by three guys, but I remained conscious the whole time both times.
I've fallen down embankments probably eight or nine times covering car accidents for the news.
That's why my knees and ankles are shot to Hell now.

I was in athletics since 5th grade, Chex...track and field, football, boxed, wrestled, baseball,basketball, some martial arts later on, and never a broken bone and no arthritis issues yet. ( knock on wood ). I still have a fairly active workout shedule for an old fart, ( mostly extreme stretching these days ), light weight lifting, and plenty of sit-ups and push-ups, as well as a 3 mile walk/jog 4 to 5 times a week. Don't know how much longer I can keep it up ( no pun intended ), but I'm riding this horse til it gives out. Still have all of my teeth and no vision aids..LOL!....You'll be fine,buddy. You're tough as nails. C'est la Vie!

My wife ( also 66 ) was a heavy life long smoker until about 5 years ago. She now has a very serious case of COPD and can barely climb a flight of stairs without dropping. Take all kinds of meds, inhalers, etc.

My girl has COPD. 67% lung function, which isn't too bad. She's on the med and inhaler regimen. She wasn't a heavy smoker---maybe 4 or 5 per day.
But she's a small framed person so having such a slight build probably contributed.
The worst of it is this: She had quit smoking for +/- 10 years and then re-started, and smoked for 10+ years. Bad decision.

I'm about your age and have some minor old-age creakiness, but nothing serious.
So, I'm curious as to what sorts of aches and pains you have.
That freight train collision and dumpster drop sound pretty rough.

Never a broken bone and still no arthritic issues. The train thing was a broadside right in my drivers door back in 1969. Had seat belt laws been in effect, I'd probably be dead. I just remember walking up underneath the front of the locomotive with a big gush of blood shooting from a huge gash around my eye. The train was going pretty slow they say. Maybe that was why I got off so easy. The dumpster was more of a graze shot, as I saw it at the last nano-second, and was able to jump out of the way except for a good knee and ankle sprain.Two inched the other way it would have been very ugly.. The truck driver never saw me....oh,btw, I was ticketed for 'failure to yield right of way to a train.' :)

Last edited:
I am not that bad but put it this way, I used to be able to do voice over work and read an entire paragraph on one breath whereas nowadays I have to stop and get a breath every other sentence. I don't get winded climbing stairs and I don't take any inhalers or anything else.
It's just that I have the lung capacity of a small soap dish compared to what I used to have and I can tell.

Sounds like it could be a lot worse Chex. It really did a number on my wife, but shes only 5 foot tall and about 115 lbs. I assume her smaller lungs must have come into play.

This calculator is too generous.

For fun just put in that you rarely exercise, health level is poor, diet is poor, sleep less than 5 hours a night, smoke and 8+ drinks a week. And it still gave me 77.7 years. Nah

The generosity may be positively motivational for some folks. The tool may inspire them to plan for living longer and thus spur them to do something more to ensure they don't outlive their retirement savings/investments.

Last edited:
My girl has COPD. 67% lung function, which isn't too bad. She's on the med and inhaler regimen. She wasn't a heavy smoker---maybe 4 or 5 per day.
But she's a small framed person so having such a slight build probably contributed.
The worst of it is this: She had quit smoking for +/- 10 years and then re-started, and smoked for 10+ years. Bad decision.

Yeah, my wife is only 5 foot, 115 pounds...high stress job and probably smoked a pack and 1/2 a day for 30 years. I'm sure those smaller lungs came into play with her also.

My wife passed when my last son was shifting from infancy to toddlerhood. That resulted in my, sort of in the back of my mind, being concerned about living, or more accurately, about not dying, before I was confident they'd be fine without me.

Now, three of the four have gotten themselves set on paths whereby if they just "follow the rules" and don't screw-up badly, they'll be just fine. I think my youngest will be fine too, but he's not finished college yet, so I have to hang around long enough to see him find his way too. Once he's done that, my time can end sooner or later; I'll be fine either way, for my most important goals will have been achieved. Everything that comes after he's set is, AFAIC, "gravy."

I made a vow to myself that if I ever get a terminal illness that would put me in constant pain, or be so old that I have to use diapers again, then I'll blow my brains out. :cool:

I was in athletics since 5th grade, Chex...track and field, football, boxed, wrestled, baseball,basketball, some martial arts later on, and never a broken bone and no arthritis issues yet. ( knock on wood ). I still have a fairly active workout shedule for an old fart, ( mostly extreme stretching these days ), light weight lifting, and plenty of sit-ups and push-ups, as well as a 3 mile walk/jog 4 to 5 times a week. Don't know how much longer I can keep it up ( no pun intended ), but I'm riding this horse til it gives out. Still have all of my teeth and no vision aids..LOL!....You'll be fine,buddy. You're tough as nails. C'est la Vie!

Frying pans for ears, floaters in both eyes and I'm missing so many teeth I look like a Tea Party guy....
Woooo-eee Uncle Jed!

My wife passed when my last son was shifting from infancy to toddlerhood. That resulted in my, sort of in the back of my mind, being concerned about living, or more accurately, about not dying, before I was confident they'd be fine without me.

Now, three of the four have gotten themselves set on paths whereby if they just "follow the rules" and don't screw-up badly, they'll be just fine. I think my youngest will be fine too, but he's not finished college yet, so I have to hang around long enough to see him find his way too. Once he's done that, my time can end sooner or later; I'll be fine either way, for my most important goals will have been achieved. Everything that comes after he's set is, AFAIC, "gravy."

I am so sorry about your wife.
I think I'll my wife and remind her how much I love her.

Apparently, I can expect to kick the bucket in my early seventies.

Not going to pay any mind to it. Too vague, not enough questions, and this doesn't seem to take family history into account.

Back
Top Bottom