• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yang: Climate Change May Require Elimination of Car Ownership

You're thinking too provincially. A true national high speed rail network would link every city in every state, exactly the same way that our highways do today. The difference is that high speed rail would be vastly more efficient in terms of energy consumption.

It would never get built, it would be HUGELY over cost, and would never make a profit. All for what?

It would never get built, it would be HUGELY over cost, and would never make a profit. All for what?

The same things were all said about the interstate construction program, yet here we are.

Oh I don't disagree that tech could change, but right now the path forward you suggest is:
More costly
Less reliable
More polluting in the long run
Less sustainable

Well played Helix, you really thought that through. "We'll just wait for magic future tech!!!"

/smh

I don't really agree with your assessment.

Yang: Fighting Climate Change Means 'We Might Not Own Our Own Cars'

What you drive, what you eat, where you live, what you live in, your healthcare... For your own good the Left wants to dictate these things for you.

Nothing says Freedom and Liberty like Democrat Tyranny!

Why do deniers always deep dive into stupid dishonesty?

You quote something where he speculates that by 2050, we "might" not own our "own cars". You stupidly and dishonestly squawk that such speculation is "Democratic Tyranny" and claim the left wants to dictate to you that you not own a car.

The US should have invested in a high-speed rail network decades ago to deal with this problem.

Cost overruns, union asshattery, a dozen bureaucratic-run "studies" having to be done and moaning environmentalists prevent that.

it's still relatively early in the large scale commercial and infrastructure tech. remember, there were plenty of people in the "get a horse" crowd back in the day, too. like it or not, cars are probably not going to be mostly gasoline only in one hundred years. also, getting off of oil might have some geopolitical benefits. not to mention that we're ****ing up the planet by burning too much carbon. i understand that some people like their club where they get together and don't believe that, but they can't wish it away in real life.

However, in a country like America, they can afford to ignore it for their own personal gain and let someone else's grandson pay the price.

If they'd only just now discovered smoking cigarettes causes cancer and Democrats were the first to accept the science, I guarantee you the vast bulk of the right would be insisting it's just a hoax designed to control them.

My assessment is reality.

Electric cars are more costly. They don't sell well when the Gov't tax breaks are removed.
They are less reliable. Mind you this is for long duration trips rather than a 30 mile run. You can't just hit the Gas Station and move on with an electric.
The pollution from the battery production from the mining to final product and finally disposal is ATROCIOUS.
Rare Earth Metals are called RARE for a reason, what happens when those mines start going bare?

Industry watchers now fear that battery production, unless it changes dramatically, along with electricity production will actually produce more atmospheric pollutants than the most efficient gas and diesel engines do at the moment. That's a sobering circumstance to contemplate, one not often mentioned by high-profile leaders of electric car makers.

Still, there will be plenty of benefits to EVs that will be readily felt in hyper-polluted cities like Beijing even if battery production itself ultimately increases the amount of pollution going into the atmosphere. Such cities, therefore, will reap the benefits of less air pollution on a local level while putting out more atmospheric pollution elsewhere. It's a strange tradeoff to consider, but EVs contributing to cleaner city air may produce a kind of mirage on a local level, as factories running on coal produce the batteries and more pollution.
Are EV battery plants creating more pollution than EVs eliminate? | Get the latest car news, car reviews, auto show updates, and racing news from Autoweek. News for the auto enthusiast.

Just a snippet of how I arrive at my assessment that you don't want to address. I have a feeling this is going to go like our SP healthcare debats, where you are certain that all the bad outcomes will be "better this time because" and I'll disagree with you. Love ya Helix, I do , I enjoy our chats, but sometimes.. it get's, difficult.

What you drive, what you eat, where you live, what you live in, your healthcare... For your own good the Left wants to dictate these things for you.

The price of electric cars are coming down all the time and they use reusable energy that can be locally and cleanly generated. With the advent of self-driving cars, then we can make ubers very cheap and many people won't see the point of owning and having to maintain cars. If I could uber over a self-driving car in 4 minutes and pay $3 for it, why would I own a car of my own?

You quote something where he speculates that by 2050, we "might" not own our "own cars". You stupidly and dishonestly squawk that such speculation is "Democratic Tyranny" and claim the left wants to dictate to you that you not own a car.

You might want to watch the video of Yang contained in the linked article from the Free Beacon. That way you wouldn't make such unfounded accusations.

You might want to watch the video of Yang contained in the linked article from the Free Beacon. That way you wouldn't make such unfounded accusations.

Good God is your statement ever stupid.

The person I responded to quoted this in a quote box:

Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang said the United States may have to eliminate private car ownership to combat climate change during MSNBC's climate forum at Georgetown University Thursday morning. He told MSNBC host Ali Velshi that "we might not own our own cars" by 2050 to wean the United States economy off of fossil fuels, describing private car ownership as "really inefficient and bad for the environment." Privately owned cars would be replaced by a "constant roving fleet of electric cars."

And she did in fact say this is "Democratic Tyranny" and she did in fact say this is something they want to "dictate". If you think Yang said more and it is relevant, you should be trying to annoy the OP for failing to quote it, and not me for responding to the little she did quote. (Not that Yang matters).

Time for remedial trolling 101? Or is it remedial Trump Slurping 101?

My assessment is reality.

Electric cars are more costly. They don't sell well when the Gov't tax breaks are removed.
They are less reliable. Mind you this is for long duration trips rather than a 30 mile run. You can't just hit the Gas Station and move on with an electric.
The pollution from the battery production from the mining to final product and finally disposal is ATROCIOUS.
Rare Earth Metals are called RARE for a reason, what happens when those mines start going bare?

Your assessment is the typical "fight electric cars" knee jerk.

Good God is your statement ever stupid.

The person I responded to quoted this in a quote box:

And she did in fact say this is "Democratic Tyranny" and she did in fact say this is something they want to "dictate". If you think Yang said more and it is relevant, you should be trying to annoy the OP for failing to quote it, and not me for responding to the little she did quote. (Not that Yang matters).

Time for remedial trolling 101? Or is it remedial Trump Slurping 101?

Geeze, what a dip.

You didn't watch the video, did you?

The video proves exactly what the OP claimed.

But do keep "squawking", as you put it.

The price of electric cars are coming down all the time and they use reusable energy that can be locally and cleanly generated. With the advent of self-driving cars, then we can make ubers very cheap and many people won't see the point of owning and having to maintain cars. If I could uber over a self-driving car in 4 minutes and pay $3 for it, why would I own a car of my own?

That's great, not everyone lives or works in that sort of situation

Your assessment is the typical "fight electric cars" knee jerk.

Yours is the typical ignore reality because "you want something to be" rather than looking at what it IS.

Person isn't here to debate, or have rationale discussions, just skirts the rules and insults people with the consent and abetment of the moderators

That's great, not everyone lives or works in that sort of situation

I can see a few who pursue cars as a career and hobby and enjoy maintaining them. But if the prices of self-driving uber cars came down to the cost of maintenance and electricity, and the streets were full of them, so ordering one would get you an immediate pickup at maybe $2-3, then why go through the trouble to own one? You have to deal with fueling, possible robbery, insurance, maintenance, and eventually selling. If you didn't own a car, all you have to do is just ask for a ride and click the pay button. Some people might be tempted to rent a self-driving car for a few days, but that would result in extra overnight charges and charges while not driving which isn't worth it.

Yours is the typical ignore reality because "you want something to be" rather than looking at what it IS.

ah, a projection.

So you rage against Trump's views, but when Beto says he will take away people's guns or when Bernie says he's going to tax the hell out of everyone to pay for reparations you deny it?

Do you know what the word hypocrisy means?

I can see a few who pursue cars as a career and hobby and enjoy maintaining them. But if the prices of self-driving uber cars came down to the cost of maintenance and electricity, and the streets were full of them, so ordering one would get you an immediate pickup at maybe $2-3, then why go through the trouble to own one? You have to deal with fueling, possible robbery, insurance, maintenance, and eventually selling. If you didn't own a car, all you have to do is just ask for a ride and click the pay button. Some people might be tempted to rent a self-driving car for a few days, but that would result in extra overnight charges and charges while not driving which isn't worth it.

That's great for people that can. I live in a city that takes near an hour to cross, with no traffic. My wife drives some 90 miles a day just to get to and from work. Hell just to get to the bowling alley on Wed and Fri for league is... hold on
it's 17.1 miles. On weekends we like to go to out and about. It's easily an hour drive just to get away from San Antonio proper and get anywhere. Electric cars, won't meet the needs of people like us, and San Antonio is a rather big city.

I'm not saying there are not people for whom such an idea would be an excellent plan for, but it won't work for many.

Person isn't here to debate, or have rationale discussions, just skirts the rules and insults people with the consent and abetment of the moderators

I understand.

However, it's fun to draw out responses from the worthless, so the waste of space can be illuminated.

ah, a projection.

No Helix, it's not. Please tell me where I am actually wrong instead of snarky claiming otherwise?
Let's Talk Norway, the biggest EV Market in the world in terms of numbers bought. What's the cost and reason behind that? Is it because they are the best practical choice or is it something else?
Busting The Myth Of The World’s Hottest Electric Car Market | Markets Insider

orway has been hailed as a model for electric vehicles adoption with EV sales exceeding 57% of new car sales in June of this year. This accomplishment stands at odds with the rest of the world, where despite substantial subsidies, EV sales have lingered in the low single digits. The reality of Norway’s EV sales success is rooted in the simple fact that Norway has created an extremely distorted car market.

Norway’s cold weather makes the country one of the least suitable markets for electric cars since freezing temperatures tend to reduce an EV range by up to 40%. This fact alone makes Norway a less likely market for wide EV adoption. EVs high price tag, range limitations, slow charging time and limited second market makes them a niche product in many markets, said another way, EVs practical inferiority to internal combustion engine (ICE) cars has discouraged their adoption at a wide scale. To counter EVs inherent inferiority, the Norwegian government has introduced a host of market distorting - stick and carrot - initiatives to force EVs adoption:

It's a VERY good read that will open your eyes to the costs involved to make this happen and the downsides to it too.

Back
Top Bottom