• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yang: Climate Change May Require Elimination of Car Ownership

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Yang: Fighting Climate Change Means 'We Might Not Own Our Own Cars'

Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang said the United States may have to eliminate private car ownership to combat climate change during MSNBC's climate forum at Georgetown University Thursday morning.
He told MSNBC host Ali Velshi that "we might not own our own cars" by 2050 to wean the United States economy off of fossil fuels, describing private car ownership as "really inefficient and bad for the environment." Privately owned cars would be replaced by a "constant roving fleet of electric cars."

What you drive, what you eat, where you live, what you live in, your healthcare... For your own good the Left wants to dictate these things for you.

Nothing says Freedom and Liberty like Democrat Tyranny!

Last edited:
When they pry your cold dead fingers from the steering wheel, amirite?

What you drive, what you eat, where you live, what you live in, your healthcare...

This is the real reason the political left luvs the issue of climate change - it makes a nice pretext to control just about every part of your life.

Make no mistake, inside every leftist is a tiny Pol Pot trying to get out.

What you drive, what you eat, where you live, what you live in, your healthcare... For your own good the Left wants to dictate these things for you.

We'd better have Yang confiscate our cars quick. I live near Boston and the ocean is about to crest Bunker Hill. Cape Cod is half the size it was last year. Oh, and I can grow oranges up here too.

the US won't build enough high speed public transport because we'd rather give most of the money to five old guys and wait for them to give it back. cars aren't going anywhere. perhaps we can convert to electric cars charged by renewable energy, though.

the US won't build enough high speed public transport because we'd rather give most of the money to five old guys and wait for them to give it back. cars aren't going anywhere. perhaps we can convert to electric cars charged by renewable energy, though.

More costly, Short range, slow recharge, powered by expensive and less reliable energy using rare earth metals for batteries that must be replaced...

Ya'll sure all for the short term feel good yet pointless solutions.

You do know they already do right: licensing and ownership restrictions, the FDA, any kind of zoning law, again zoning, FDA again, respectively.

Yeah, it is logical to ban POV's and force everyone into fleet vehicles... makes sense...

More costly, Short range, slow recharge, powered by expensive and less reliable energy using rare earth metals for batteries that must be replaced...

Ya'll sure all for the short term feel good yet pointless solutions.

it's still relatively early in the large scale commercial and infrastructure tech. remember, there were plenty of people in the "get a horse" crowd back in the day, too. like it or not, cars are probably not going to be mostly gasoline only in one hundred years. also, getting off of oil might have some geopolitical benefits. not to mention that we're ****ing up the planet by burning too much carbon. i understand that some people like their club where they get together and don't believe that, but they can't wish it away in real life.

it's still relatively early in the large scale commercial and infrastructure tech. remember, there were plenty of people in the "get a horse" crowd back in the day, too. like it or not, cars are probably not going to be mostly gasoline only in one hundred years. also, getting off of oil might have some geopolitical benefits. not to mention that we're ****ing up the planet by burning too much carbon. i understand that some people like their club where they get together and don't believe that, but they can't wish it away in real life.

Oh I don't disagree that tech could change, but right now the path forward you suggest is:
More costly
Less reliable
More polluting in the long run
Less sustainable

Well played Helix, you really thought that through. "We'll just wait for magic future tech!!!"

/smh

The US should have invested in a high-speed rail network decades ago to deal with this problem. Private car ownership is one of the reasons that American citizens produce far more emissions per capita than most other nations.

Oh boy, I'm gonna like this game. When I find a really stupid statement from a conservative to dump in your lap can I do it in this thread?

No, that would be trolling and against the rules, you are more than welcome to create a new thread and high light something you disagree with, but thank you for admitting you agree that a Dem Candidate for President said something really stupid.

The US should have invested in a high-speed rail network decades ago to deal with this problem. Private car ownership is one of the reasons that American citizens produce far more emissions per capita than most other nations.

We're too spread out for that to work....

We're too spread out for that to work....

The vast majority of people who drive only do so for at most a few hours each day. That is not by any means too spread out for high speed rail, and even over long distances modern trains can be faster than most cars.

This is the real reason the political left luvs the issue of climate change - it makes a nice pretext to control just about every part of your life.

Make no mistake, inside every leftist is a tiny Pol Pot trying to get out.

And inside every rightist is the kind of idiot that believes the human race would have died off long ago except for rape and incest. The whole right wing is morally bankrupt.

The vast majority of people who drive only do so for at most a few hours each day. That is not by any means too spread out for high speed rail, and even over long distances modern trains can be faster than most cars.
High Speed Rail is such a GREAT IDEA! Why Look at what happened when Cali tried that! It's been such a great success... It's like you people don't' care about the reality of the idea, just the false promise.

And inside every rightist is the kind of idiot that believes the human race would have died off long ago except for rape and incest. The whole right wing is morally bankrupt.

Not at all, the problem is you choose not to understand conservatives, thus your portrayal is laughably pathetic, and that you state such earnestly shows how intellectually dishonest you are as a person.

No, that would be trolling and against the rules, you are more than welcome to create a new thread and high light something you disagree with, but thank you for admitting you agree that a Dem Candidate for President said something really stupid.

Trolling? If I get the wording right I'll get away with it. Was it trolling when you said I want to dictate the details of your life in your OP?

High Speed Rail is such a GREAT IDEA! Why Look at what happened when Cali tried that! It's been such a great success... It's like you people don't' care about the reality of the idea, just the false promise.

Why would you discount the idea completely just because Cali had problems with it? I happen to have ridden high speed rail in Europe and I know for a fact that it works, you just have to put in the time and money to build the infrastructure, which the US has not yet done.

Not at all, the problem is you choose not to understand conservatives, thus your portrayal is laughably pathetic, and that you state such earnestly shows how intellectually dishonest you are as a person.

This... "For your own good the Left wants to dictate these things for you.", is you being intellectually honest and understanding liberals, is it? Are you familiar with the concept of hypocrisy?
Laughably pathetic.

Why would you discount the idea completely just because Cali had problems with it? I happen to have ridden high speed rail in Europe and I know for a fact that it works, you just have to put in the time and money to build the infrastructure, which the US has not yet done.

Because it's a dumb idea, that's why. In some areas, in some places it could be a useful thing, but take Texas, where are you gonna run it? Between SA and Austin maybe? maybe something to cross the DFW Metroplex? Maybe...

70595909_10157824890817042_2168694640344039424_n.jpg

Because it's a dumb idea, that's why. In some areas, in some places it could be a useful thing, but take Texas, where are you gonna run it? Between SA and Austin maybe? maybe something to cross the DFW Metroplex? Maybe...

You're thinking too provincially. A true national high speed rail network would link every city in every state, exactly the same way that our highways do today. The difference is that high speed rail would be vastly more efficient in terms of energy consumption.

Back
Top Bottom