• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who does America "belong to?"

When one says America belongs to this group or that group, which group should be included?

• 2. White Christians. America was build on white Christianity and should remain thus.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Any European.

• 5. Anyone who speaks American, those who don't, aren't American.

• 6. America "belongs" to the righteous, those with conservative values.

• 8. America belongs to those who are "Woke."

• Total voters

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Quick poll to gauge who deserves to be an America. Who (or what group of people) does America belong to?

Choices in the poll above.

Multiple choices available.

Quick poll to gauge who deserves to be an America. Who (or what group of people) does America belong to?

Did you mean to ask who The U.S. belongs to? By your snarky poll choices, looks like that was your intent.

Did you mean to ask who The U.S. belongs to? By your snarky poll choices, looks like that was your intent.
I wonder if he cares about his own country as much as he cares about ours.

All US citizens. And all green card holders who intend to become citizens and are on track to doing so.

All US citizens. And all US nationals who intend to become citizens and are on track to doing so.
If they're not US citizens why would it belong to them?

If they're not US citizens why would it belong to them?
If someone holds a green card and intends to complete the process to become a citizen, they've shown a level of commitment that most natural-born citizens have not.

These people are some of the very best Americans IMO. Because they chose this.

If someone holds a green card and intends to complete the process to become a citizen, they've shown a level of commitment that most natural-born citizens have not.

I'm not questioning their character; I'm questioning their right to say they "own America".

Who does America "belong to?"

We the people...

Quite simple.

But if you ask who manipulates America, buys and sells her worth, takes her resources etc., bleeds her people, well that bigly changes the answers you will get.

Citizenship or not, nobody owns America. America belongs to nobody. The O/P is a failed premise.

It's just another opportunity for him to troll Americans.

I'm not questioning their character; I'm questioning their right to say they "own America".
Eh, maybe I interpreted the OP's question differently. Strictly speaking, I'm not sure anyone owns a country. I guess the land-owners own their individual parcels of land, and the voters own the government, and any participant owns the cultural and intellectual institutions. But I'm not sure any of those things add up to "owning America."

Citizenship or not, nobody owns America. America belongs to nobody. The O/P is a failed premise.
Yeah I'm not really sure what he means by owning America. That isn't a phrase I'd ever think to use, but maybe it's a more common mindset in Canada where he's from. Sounds odd to my American ears.

Eh, maybe I interpreted the OP's question differently. Strictly speaking, I'm not sure anyone owns a country. I guess the land-owners own their individual parcels of land, and the voters own the government, and any participant owns the cultural and intellectual institutions. But I'm not sure any of those things add up to "owning America."
"We the People" control the country, so with that control, seemingly, ownership is implied.

Yeah I'm not really sure what he means by owning America. That isn't a phrase I'd ever think to use, but maybe it's a more common mindset in Canada where he's from. Sounds odd to my American ears.

Well, my friend, I'll make us some popcorn while we wait for @SNOWFLAKE's response.

I'm also wondering if and how he will answer the poll questions below when the tables are turned.

Who does Canada "belong to?"​

• 2. White Christians. Canada was built on white Christianity and should remain thus.
  • 3. Any European.
  • 4. Actually Canada "belongs to" the Natives, we are the interlopers.
  • 5. Anyone who speaks Canadian, those who don't, aren't Canadian
  • 6. Canada "belongs" to the righteous, those with conservative values.
  • 7. Canada belongs to the Dreamers, the poor and hungry, the forgotten.
  • 8. Canada belongs to those who are "Woke."
  • 9. Canada belongs to the powerful, the rich, the entitled.
  • 10. Everyone except Americans

On a practical level it belongs to those who have power, whether through political affiliation, to those connected to those with political power, and to those who have the wealth to influence those with political power.

I wonder if he cares about his own country as much as he cares about ours.
No. Canadian “nationalism” is based on hating Canada’s history and traditions

That super gay national anthem and dumb Peruvian knock off flag were only invented in the 1960s to strip Canadians of British identity.

Before 1965 this was Canadas flag

00F5B1D2-A5F9-4AA0-A8A7-186E38947BC3.png

And this was the national anthem

I’ll let you guess which political aisle changed these

Well, my friend, I'll make us some popcorn while we wait for @SNOWFLAKE's response.

I'm also wondering if and how he will answer the poll questions below when the tables are turned.

Who does Canada "belong to?"​

• 2. White Christians. Canada was built on white Christianity and should remain thus.
  • 3. Any European.
  • 4. Actually Canada "belongs to" the Natives, we are the interlopers.
  • 5. Anyone who speaks Canadian, those who don't, aren't Canadian
  • 6. Canada "belongs" to the righteous, those with conservative values.
  • 7. Canada belongs to the Dreamers, the poor and hungry, the forgotten.
  • 8. Canada belongs to those who are "Woke."
  • 9. Canada belongs to the powerful, the rich, the entitled.
  • 10. Everyone except Americans
👏 Nice way of turning it back on him.

On a practical level it belongs to those who have power, whether through political affiliation, to those connected to those with political power, and to those who have the wealth to influence those with political power.

That will be after the fight...

That was one of the choices in the poll.

You left off one.

O None of the above.

AMERICA is a Continent, specifically to your discussion NORTH America.

This nation is the UNITED STATES of America. If I am on a forum and am asked where I'm from I put US or USA, I don't say America.

Yes, I know, I'm being picky, BUT other countries in the Americas get upset when people from the US claim America as the nation name. Everyone from the tip of South America to the North Pole are "Americans". This is typical US arrogance, which I am surprised you participate in.

And I know people in the US say, "I'm an American". So can people from Canada to Chile

Back
Top Bottom