• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should be the outcome of the Passenger being forcibly removed from UAL

What should be the outcome of the forcible removal of a passenger from UAL

• Total voters
The Doctor is gay.

The doctor is married. Whether he is gay or not is unknown and entirely irrelevant to anything. Why do you feel the need to interject irrelevant claims like that?

The doctor is married. Whether he is gay or not is unknown and entirely irrelevant to anything. Why do you feel the need to interject irrelevant claims like that?

I apologize Redress,

I am responding to the poster you quoted.

I apologize Redress,

I am responding to the poster you quoted.

Your post was entirely irrelevant to what he posted too.

Unless you get a jury with people like me who have no sympathy for whiney little bitches that think they are more important than the other passengers. He lost the lottery, man up and exit the plan and wait for the next one like the other 3 passengers.

Judging from the internet outrage, I think there will be a sympathetic jury for him if it gets to trial, but I think the airline will settle before it happens- this is assuming that the victim sues.

Not a damn thing. The airline is a private business. They have no obligation to do business with him and he has no right to a flight without their consent. So long as his money was refunded, he has no case.

wrong-look up the concept of detrimental reliance.

I like United. I've gotten tons of those little vodka bottles for free with them. Still, I don't see this ending up as anything other than a lawsuit. Also....

"What beats you up slightly less than the turbulence? Our employees." #newunitedairlinesmottos

I'm hip.

The airline and security personnel (I don't think they were police officers) will settle with him. Regardless of who did what wrong, it's caused a big enough stink that they'll pay him to try and make it go away.

I don't see where the airline did anything wrong

Really? I see where they did several things wrong.

1. They should not have prioritized their deadheading employees over their paying customers. Especially when those employees could have driven to Louisville from Chicago and gotten there in about the same amount of time as the flight took considering it was delayed over two hours after this happened.

2. They should never have let the passengers board the plane and then tried to kick them back off. If they were going to get bumped involuntarily they should never have been allowed to board.

3. They should have continued increasing their offer for volunteers to take a later flight to avoid having to involuntarily bump people. The involuntarily bumped passengers would get $1300 cash, so it was stupid to stop the offer at $800 in vouchers.

There's at least three things the airline did wrong.

That this guy has a past is irrelevant to his right to be compensated for this injustice. What the hell were both United and the police thinking?!

That this guy has a past is irrelevant to his right to be compensated for this injustice. What the hell were both United and the police thinking?!

They are thinking that someone has to get off the plane or it isn't going anywhere.

I voted the airline should settle, but not through legal action.

Most passengers are aware that there's a chance your flight could be overbooked and when it occurs you'll probably be asked to leave your flight. I know most passengers don't want to exit the plane especially on a flight that was hard to book in the first place, but in such situations the airline will ask for volunteers first and then randomly selection someone if no one volunteers to leave.

About the only thing the airline should assure a passenger in such a situation - whether the passengers gives up the seat or is asked to leave - is prompt booking on the next flight and a complimentary flight (or one at a discount) the next time the passenger travels via that carrier.

I'm going to modify my above response (but not change my vote) based on new information that's come out about this incident.

United Airlines will settle - out of court. My understanding is their request was for 4 passengers to voluntarily disembark the plane to allow 4 United Airlines crewmembers to board. The justification that was given - that the flight was overbooked - turned out to NOT be true. So, when it's all said and done unless United Airlines had a damned good reason that 4 of their crew urgently needed to get on that flight, they'll likely pay through the nose on this one.

The guy will likely receive a pretty good settlement, and he'll be a media darling, and cash in that way for a while.

If it were to go trial, he'd likely win, but there WOULD be some mitigating factors.

Wronged as he was, he STILL had a legal duty to act reasonably at all times, and, well, he didn't. It was not reasonable for him for scream and cry and carry on like he did, and part of his injuries stem from that. So, his take would/will be lessened because of that.

Imagine if everyone who got kicked off a flight refused to leave and just went limp when police came. I bet they would change the policy pretty quickly. :)

The police shouldn't come. They have no role in settling a contract dispute. Eithe UAL employees should have removed him or he should have been left alone and if United thought they had a case they could have sued him after fact.

It is a private matter between t o private players. There is no legitimate role for LE here.

The airline and security personnel (I don't think they were police officers) will settle with him. Regardless of who did what wrong, it's caused a big enough stink that they'll pay him to try and make it go away.

They were Chicago Airport PD. Sworn LE officers.

The police shouldn't come. They have no role in settling a contract dispute. Eithe UAL employees should have removed him or he should have been left alone and if United thought they had a case they could have sued him after fact.

It is a private matter between t o private players. There is no legitimate role for LE here.

Section 21 of there contract gives them the right to remove the person from the plane. When a confrontation is happening who do you call? The police and they hear both side of the story and go ok well United has the right to kick you out so out you go buddy. He resist then he gets hit.
All ok in my book legally and morally

He will get a big, cash settlement from the airline, he will marry one of the sky waitresses on the flight (who a) felt sorry for him but mostly b) is a gold digger).

They will get married, but he will develop a huge gambling problem and within 22 months - will have blown all of the settlement.

And his golddigging wife will leave him for another woman.

He will write a book over his whole ordeal...but it will not sell very well - mostly because he is a lousy author.

But then, a Hollywood producer will read the book and turn it into a movie that will end up making the original doctor (who lost his medical license for performing 'unnecessary' operations) millions.

Then his wife will leave her wife and go back to her former husband (strictly because he is rich again).

And since this time he does not blow the money...they live relatively, happily ever after...for a while.

Until she gets really fat and he will leave her (because he is very superficial) and ends up living common law with his wife's ex-wife.

And they will live relatively happily ever after until they both die in a plane crash.

But since he neglected to change his will after he left his wife AND they never actually got divorced, his fat, gold digging wife will inherit all his money which she will parlay into tens of millions by opening a successful college that teaches women (and men) how to marry for money.

And she will then live happily ever.
Hate to burst your bubble but he is already married and he is gay

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I don't see where the airline did anything wrong, somebody had to be removed, he got selected, refused, the police get involved, and he resists the cops.

although I don't know the state of regulation around this kind of thing, but to me it should be an issue of refusing to obey an order to depart someone's private property and being detained for the trespass.
Is a ticket equivalent to a contract? I dont think its as cut n dry as one side being right and the other wrong

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The airline will settle, but thats only because its a PR nightmare for UA.
Legally I dont think UA (and the cops who removed him) did anything wrong

So today, I am starting to see more and more reports like this one. (I don't know anything about the source but they are citing TMZ's report and this was also on the AOL news feed this morning.)

According to TMZ, the 69-year old doctor who refused to give up his seat on this now-infamous United flight is named David Dao.

In 2005, Dao was charged with 98 felony drug counts for illegally prescribing and trafficking painkillers.

Prosecutors claimed at the time that Dao fraudulently and illegally filled prescriptions for hydocodone, Oxycontin and Percocet.

Dao, who a decade later is best known for having his face bloodied (see images above and below) by members of the Chicago Police Department, was also convicted on six felony counts of obtaining drugs by fraud and deceit.

He was given five years probation for these crimes.

But this wasn't all: Dao was also convicted for writing prescriptions and checks to a patient in exchange for sex . . .
United Airlines Passenger Convicted of Drug Trafficking, Sex Crimes | Pioneer News

And while this does not justify the perceived treatment of the man in the UAL incident, it perhaps gives credence to UAL's assertion that the man was abusive or whatever they accused him of.

I wonder if UAL's lawyers aren't distributing this information to reduce UAL's liability exposure?
Thats the wrong Dao. The media confused another doctor with this guy who has the same last name

Section 21 of there contract gives them the right to remove the person from the plane. When a confrontation is happening who do you call? The police and they hear both side of the story and go ok well United has the right to kick you out so out you go buddy. He resist then he gets hit.
All ok in my book legally and morally

Section 21 lists 19 specific reasons to remove the person. Which did he violate?

There was no confrontation. He asserted his right under the contract to remain in the seat he paid for. The police are in no position whatsoever to judge who is right or wrong. They had no business being called. UAL essentially used them as taxpayer funded muscle.

I've heard mixed reports on it. Most are saying it was security personnel, not police.

UAL's chairman stated yesterday or the day before that UAL will no longer call the police to remove passengers in similar circumstances. That would seem to confirm that UAL did call the police and not their own security people.

Thats the wrong Dao. The media confused another doctor with this guy who has the same last name

That's always possible. The media certainly has not been stellar in accuracy for some time now.

Want to ask everyone a question??? is it the norm that if you don't obey a police command they have a legal right to beat you or inflict bodily harm to make you follow a command. and as far as the airline goes all they had to do was pay someone to get off the plane they could have start a cash bid with a free next flight ticket until someone took it. but now its going to cost a hell of a lot more.

The airline will settle, but thats only because its a PR nightmare for UA.
Legally I dont think UA (and the cops who removed him) did anything wrong

Morally they did though... that is why they will settle.

Back
Top Bottom