• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What should be the outcome of the Passenger being forcibly removed from UAL

What should be the outcome of the forcible removal of a passenger from UAL

• Total voters

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Most of you know about the incident where a doctor was dragged off a United Airline flight after the airline overbooked the flight and demanded he leave the flight.

He will get a big, cash settlement from the airline, he will marry one of the sky waitresses on the flight (who a) felt sorry for him but mostly b) is a gold digger).

They will get married, but he will develop a huge gambling problem and within 22 months - will have blown all of the settlement.

And his golddigging wife will leave him for another woman.

He will write a book over his whole ordeal...but it will not sell very well - mostly because he is a lousy author.

But then, a Hollywood producer will read the book and turn it into a movie that will end up making the original doctor (who lost his medical license for performing 'unnecessary' operations) millions.

Then his wife will leave her wife and go back to her former husband (strictly because he is rich again).

And since this time he does not blow the money...they live relatively, happily ever after...for a while.

Until she gets really fat and he will leave her (because he is very superficial) and ends up living common law with his wife's ex-wife.

And they will live relatively happily ever after until they both die in a plane crash.

But since he neglected to change his will after he left his wife AND they never actually got divorced, his fat, gold digging wife will inherit all his money which she will parlay into tens of millions by opening a successful college that teaches women (and men) how to marry for money.

And she will then live happily ever.

Last edited:
He will get a big, cash settlement from the airline, he will marry one of the sky waitresses on the flight (who a) felt sorry for him but mostly b) is a gold digger).

They will get married, but he will develop a huge gambling problem and within 22 months - will have blown all of the settlement.

He will write a book over his whole ordeal...but it will not sell very well - mostly because he is a lousy author.

But then, a Hollywood producer will read the book and turn it into a movie that will end up making the original doctor (who lost his medical license for performing 'unnecessary' operations) millions.

Then his wife will leave her wife and go back to her former husband.

And since this time he does not blow the money...they live relatively, happily ever after...for a while.

Until she gets really fat and he will leave her (because he is very superficial) and end up living common law with his wife's ex-wife.

And they will live relatively happily ever after until they both die in a plane crash.

But since he neglected to change his will after he left his wife AND they never actually got divorced, his fat, gold digging wife will inherit all his money which she will parlay into tens of millions by opening a successful college that teaches women (and men) how to marry for money.

And she will then live happily ever after.

I don't have anything to add after that.

Then his wife will leave her wife and go back to her former husband.

Until she gets really fat and he will leave her (because he is very superficial) and end up living common law with his wife's ex-wife.

And she will then live happily ever after.

You ever think of working as a Harlequin romance novel writer? :lol:

The "cops" were employed by the airline and thus the airline is the only one that has to settle with the man.

:2usflag:

Most of you know about the incident where a doctor was dragged off a United Airline flight after the airline overbooked the flight and demanded he leave the flight.

I don't see where the airline did anything wrong, somebody had to be removed, he got selected, refused, the police get involved, and he resists the cops.

although I don't know the state of regulation around this kind of thing, but to me it should be an issue of refusing to obey an order to depart someone's private property and being detained for the trespass.

What ever it takes to get airlines to not board people they refuse to fly for seat reasons.

This to me becomes a much more serious matter after boarding has been granted.

There needs to be a new penalty added.

And not coupons either...

CASH ON THE SPOT.

I think this video goes with the incident?

Yes, airlines routinely overbook flights, because they would prefer to delay overbooked passengers than to lose any profits on any flight.

This goes hand in hand with adding more and smaller seating, shortening leg space and back space, and just all-around asshole service from flight attendants.

I haven't flown on an airline since I ended up on an overbooked flight 13 years ago; got moved to the back of the plane in order to seat an overweight person so fat they needed both their seat and the seat I paid for; and ended up in that last seat where you can't lean back because the lavatory wall is flush with the seatback.

Bad enough you have to go through all that TSA security.

Screw :censored airlines.

Last edited:

At a guess, the airline will settle. Not because they necessarily would lose in court, but there is a real chance they would, and because it is simply easier and puts the bad publicity behind them the fastest. I do not know the rules and whether UA violated their rules or the law removing the passenger, but it sure looks bad, and a jury could be swayed by the emotional argument even if the airline did not do anything exactly wrong, so why risk having it go before a jury.

I suspect the guys wife would object to his marrying a waitress...

What really needs to happen is that it needs to be illegal to overbook plane flights. Imagine if you spent 100,000 on a SuperBowl ticket and when you get there they say, "Oh sorry, we already sold your ticket to someone else. We didn't think you would show up." Ridiculous.

The airline's liability carrier will fork over a quarter million or so at mediation. No way this is going in front of a jury.

The airline's liability carrier will fork over a quarter million or so at mediation. No way this is going in front of a jury.

yep if I was United Trial Counsel I would say-write a check, make it go away

Because of the you tube video and the publicity, they can argue technicalities all they want, but the insurance company will demand they settle. And the police are defenseless for excessive use of force.

So much for Fly the Friendly Skies.

The airline will settle quickly to avoid huge legal costs and more bad publicity. Hopefully. the laws/rules that allowed such nonsense will also get changed.

You ever think of working as a Harlequin romance novel writer? :lol:

Harlequin romance novels are never as sophisticated as all that. The plot is much better suited for a daytime soap opera. Do they still have those?

It's not his fault United overbooked the flight. That's on United. Once his ticket was given over and his butt was in the chair, it's his chair (barring emergency or etc of course).

Otherwise, if no one volunteers to get off, I guess the last-arriving passengers are SOL. First come first served.

This sort of thing is on United ... THEY screwed up and overbooked. THEIR problem, not his.

As for the situation, unless there are extenuating circumstances of which we have no knowledge, I do foresee the airline forking over a huge settlement to this guy. Too many witnesses on that plane will not be taking the airline's side.

I heard somebody say this evening that the people they were wanting to put on the plane were United crew? If that is the case, this just gets worse and worse for United.

If they are overbooked, they better allow those who arrive first with valid tickets and boarding pass to board. Then they offer enough money to entice people to sell their seats so the late arrivals on overbooked flights can be seated. If there are no takers, the late arrivals are out of luck and should be taken very good care of by the airline.

Back in the days when airline tickets were more fluid, exchangeable, refundable, pr were paid for upon arrival at the airport, overbooking made more sense so that the airline would not lose money on the no shows. But you can't reserve a seat these days without giving them your credit card number, so overbooking is really inexcusable.

yep if I was United Trial Counsel I would say-write a check, make it go away

The video of the guy all bloody and saying "just kill me" over and over again...not what you would want a jury to see...

It's not his fault United overbooked the flight. That's on United. Once his ticket was given over and his butt was in the chair, it's his chair (barring emergency or etc of course).

Otherwise, if no one volunteers to get off, I guess the last-arriving passengers are SOL. First come first served.

This sort of thing is on United ... THEY screwed up and overbooked. THEIR problem, not his.

United's overbooking policy: The reason they can kick you off your flight - Apr. 10, 2017

If airlines can't get passengers to switch of their own volition, they're allowed to bump fliers involuntarily.

In 2015, 46,000 travelers were involuntarily bumped from flights, according to data from the Department of Transportation.

Airlines set their own policies when it comes to the order in which passengers are bumped. The terms are sketched out in "contracts of carriage" that passengers agree to when they buy their tickets.

That last sentence is the key one. When you buy the ticket, you agree to their rules.

More: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contract-of-carriage.aspx#sec25

Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:

Passengers who are Qualified Individuals with Disabilities, unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 years, or minors between the ages of 5 to 15 years who use the unaccompanied minor service, will be the last to be involuntarily denied boarding if it is determined by UA that such denial would constitute a hardship.
The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.

It's up to the guy. This could go into the tens of millions. These are some deep pockets.

There are pictures of him with blood all over his face. There's video of him repeating "just kill me." Video of him being dragged out. The Chicago police claim his face was bloody because he "fell." United calls him "disruptive and belligerent."

And what did he do wrong? Refuse to give up his seat?

Yes, airlines routinely overbook flights, because they would prefer to delay overbooked passengers than to lose any profits on any flight.

From what I understand it wasnt an overbooked flight, the airline wanted to get 4 passengers off so they could fly employees to another location

Hey Mr. Lawyer: does Illinois(or wherever the case would be heard if it went to trial) cap damages for this type thing? I see that for personal injury, they do not, but would that include this?

Back
Top Bottom