• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is Gender

Simpletruther

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It seems the idea of gender is vague. And that there is inherent contradiction within progressive thought on this issue.

On the one hand, gender stereotypes are frowned upon and equality is emphasized, on the other hand, the very idea of claiming to be a gender infers some kind of stereotype.

So what does it mean to be a male, or female gender?

It seems any description one would give, could be seen as an insulting stereotype to someone else claiming that gender, but lacks that quality just claimed.

For instance if someone claims they are female in gender, becasue they feel strong e emotions, or like the touch of a strong man, it seems to deminish someone else who claims female gender yet isn’t emotional and doesn’t like men.

It seems the logical conclusion is gender is purely construct, and subjective.

but if it’s subjective, why make a big deal about it when others disagree?
Tags:

It seems the idea of gender is vague. And that there is inherent contradiction within progressive thought on this issue.

On the one hand, gender stereotypes are frowned upon and equality is emphasized, on the other hand, the very idea of claiming to be a gender infers some kind of stereotype.

It seems any description one would give, could be seen as an insulting stereotype to someone else claiming that gender, but lacks that quality just claimed.

For instance if someone claims they are female in gender, becasue they feel strong e emotions, or like the touch of a strong man, it seems to deminish someone else who claims female gender yet isn’t emotional and doesn’t like men.

Tags:

Just quoting this to preserve the evidence you pasted this from elsewhere.

Tags:

Meanwhile, I sometimes wonder if there's some poor bastards out there who are both.

Because either you're spamming this nonsense across multiple platforms or you're stealing someone else's (really stupid) posting and passing it off as your own.

Either amuses me.

Because either you're spamming this nonsense across multiple platforms or you're stealing someone else's (really stupid) posting and passing it off as your own.

Either amuses me.

Enjoy your jollies. A good heads up on who to ignore.

Gender is becoming a personal choice like race or ethnicity.

Tags:

Gender norms don't mean anything. My grandfather thought I was weird because I would cook dinner for my ex wife (I preferred it to starving, but it was fun). I was a stay at home father for a short time. Everybody has to live their own truth. My truth isn't your truth, and your truth isn't someone else's truth.

Gender norms don't mean anything. My grandfather thought I was weird because I would cook dinner for my ex wife (I preferred it to starving, but it was fun). I was a stay at home father for a short time. Everybody has to live their own truth. My truth isn't your truth, and your truth isn't someone else's truth.

Well, ok. And Thst seems to be a progressives idea on the one hand.

And yet they seem to contradict Thst idea, by celebrating trans, as if those things actually mean something.

If <man> and <woman> don’t really mean anthing objective, but are just constructs, what is the point of coming out as a construct? Or the idea of being born a construct?

Gender is becoming a personal choice like race or ethnicity.

*sigh* I look towards a future where it doesnt even matter. People just consider it in casual conversation.

But that hasnt even happened with racism yet, so....

Humanity is not nearly as advanced as we would like to believe :(

Tags:

This is not a political topic. You're on the wrong forum.

Well, ok. And Thst seems to be a progressives idea on the one hand.

And yet they seem to contradict Thst idea, by celebrating trans, as if those things actually mean something.

If <man> and <woman> don’t really mean anthing objective, but are just constructs, what is the point of coming out as a construct? Or the idea of being born a construct?

Honestly, I have no idea what it's like to be transgender. I have never wanted to be a woman, or felt like I really was a woman. It's not part of my truth.

But why should I or you or the government get to determine what somebody else is?

Who should get to determine who you are if not you?

Should we allow adding age and income to those self-defined traits? So long as laws are applied differently based on a trait then their need to be established standards which can be used by others (all?) to determine them. I think you may be confusing what I (or any person is) am with who I am (or any person is).

*sigh* I look towards a future where it doesnt even matter. People just consider it in casual conversation.

But that hasnt even happened with racism yet, so....

Humanity is not nearly as advanced as we would like to believe :(

I think the point of the OP is that if such labels (definitions?) did not matter then why seek to change them?

Honestly, I have no idea what it's like to be transgender. I have never wanted to be a woman, or felt like I really was a woman. It's not part of my truth.

But why should I or you or the government get to determine what somebody else is?

Well, why would you determine what an Apple is? Or a toaster?

Are you saying Thst gender doesn’t really mean anything?

If it means something, then what?

We should<get to> determine what things are because it’s we live in a free country.

If I am feeling particularly old today, do I get the senior discount? What kind of rank bigot would deny me my discount?

Should we allow adding age and income to those self-defined traits? So long as laws are applied differently based on a trait then their need to be established standards which can be used by others (all?) to determine them. I think you may be confusing what I (or any person is) am with who I am (or any person is).

It used to mean boy or girl until they changed it to mean "the way you feel".

Some people feel like god but I dont see SJW's bowing to them.

Jerusalem syndrome - Wikipedia

Jerusalem syndrome is a group of mental phenomena involving the presence of either religiously-themed obsessive ideas, delusions or other psychosis-like experiences that are triggered by a visit to the city of Jerusalem. It is not endemic to one single religion or denomination but has affected Jews, Christians, and Muslims of many different backgrounds. It is not listed as a recognised condition in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems.

The best known, although not the most prevalent, manifestation of Jerusalem syndrome is the phenomenon whereby a person who seems previously balanced and devoid of any signs of psychopathology becomes psychotic after arriving in Jerusalem.[citation needed] The psychosis is characterised by an intense religious theme and typically resolves to full recovery after a few weeks or after being removed from the area.

There are. Google "hermaphrodite."

SJW's dont care about hermaphrodites. They only care about their own feelings. These tantrums over wanting to be the other sex must be a kick in the nuts/cooch to real hermaphrodites.

I think the point of the OP is that if such labels (definitions?) did not matter then why seek to change them?

Well as others have posted, it obviously means something to them.

It used to mean boy or girl until they changed it to mean "the way you feel".

Some people feel like god but I dont see SJW's bowing to them.

Jerusalem syndrome - Wikipedia

SJW's dont care about hermaphrodites. They only care about their own feelings. These tantrums over wanting to be the other sex must be a kick in the nuts/cooch to real hermaphrodites.

Does it mean whatever one wants it to mean? Or is it objective?

Your last couple sentences really hit the nail on the head.
Why anyone wants to try and dictate how others live their lives is beyond me.
If a guy wants to marry another guy or a woman wants to live her life as a man then who the hell's concern is it but theirs. As long as they are not interfering with others rights then people need to mind ther own business.

Yep, but does that mean that one should be able to self-identify as a senior (or youth) to get a discounted meal? How about claiming social security benefits when one feels that they should be able to retire - after all, age is just a number on a government document just as gender is just a word (or letter) on one. Should anyone (everyone?) be able to self-declare as a minority to get special treatment on a government contract by having a minority owned business?

Back
Top Bottom