• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What happened to the white players in the NBA?

Porzingis - From Latvia
Jokic - From Serbia
LaVine- Not Caucasian
Ilyasova - From Turkey
Rubio - From Spain

None of these players are "white."

:shock:

There will only be one "Larry Bird" that comes along once every 3-4 generations.

It must be pretty disheartening for a young white player when you think about it.

There will only be one "Larry Bird" that comes along once every 3-4 generations.

It must be pretty disheartening for a young white player when you think about it.

White people in the US are pretty short. So, if you stopped growing at 5'11"...you might want to give up on that NBA dream.

White people in the US are pretty short. So, if you stopped growing at 5'11"...you might want to give up on that NBA dream.

Off-topic; are you keeping up with this Alaska 8.2 earthquake? fairly shallow in Gulf of Alaska; tsunami warnings such as for British Columbia; 30 foot rise at first buoy? Breaking

Off-topic; are you keeping up with this Alaska 8.2 earthquake? fairly shallow in Gulf of Alaska; tsunami warnings such as for British Columbia; 30 foot rise at first buoy? Breaking

First waves expected to hit the coast right about now, per the radio reports I heard driving in this morning.

First waves expected to hit the coast right about now, per the radio reports I heard driving in this morning.

Smaller one at 6.0 hit Jakarta about the same time ...

Smaller one at 6.0 hit Jakarta about the same time ...

Although over 6000 miles apart, they probably lie on the same fault line. Just guessing.

Basketball is an American sport, thus, have an advantage over many countries.

Why hasn't the United States won gold in ice hockey since 1980, in a game called a 'miracle?'

Why hasn't the United States won gold... EVER in futbol?

Now, the women have had a lot of success in futol because they actually are dedicated to the game and learn it. Futbol imo is more advantageous to American women compared to women of other countries because women in America have better training and opportunity than women of other countries.
Basketball was literally invented in Canada.

Sent from Donald Trump's Twitter account using Vladimir Putin's computer.

IMO, you have to consider:

The NBA is littered with European basketball player yet few white American basketball players. What I think the problem with the NBA and basketball in High School and College is that these players have more focused on pure athletic ability rather than skill-set. In Europe, basketball is more focused on developing a players skill-set rather than in America, where players are more focused on dunking, trick shots, fancy passes, etc..

Is it a coincidence that all of the white players (like 5) in the NBA can shoot 3-pointers?

Basketball imo is more attractive for young athletes that want to showcase their pure athletic ability whereas a sport like MLB showcases your skillset.

Race is and issue but social and economic issues are more the basis these days..

European basketball players play the game because they love it. It is a passion, and as with any passion, you become better and better at it because you train and all that. It is often not a "way out" of a social or economic setting.. since basketball relatively speaking is not exactly a money maker in Europe.

American basketball players .. well there are two types and here race comes into play. You have black players.. who might have the passion, but the ability to become a sportsman is often one of the only avenues out of the poverty they grew up in. White players, who also have the passion or/and skill.. frankly have more avenues out of poverty that black players.

As for skill.. has absolutely nothing to do with race. Why? because if blacks were more athletic, then they would dominate all sports.. they dont. Ice Hockey? Nope. Baseball? not so much. Here both economic and social issues and raw talent have a far bigger influence.

France is a good example. Most talented French footballers the last 20 years come from minority background families. Zidane, the second most famous French player is Algerian. Pogba, the best French player at the moment has Guinean ancestry. If you look at the French national team and even the French league... the over representation of minority players is massive. Why? Economic and social... like the US. Minorities have a harder time in France to go up the social and economic ladder in business and politics, and hence many turn to going through sports.

Now you can call it racism and it is in many ways, but it is also the reality out there. The social and economic pressures on minorities in all countries, push these people to try to get up the social and economic ladder by any means possible... may it be crime, or may it be sports. Sure go via the academic way, but more than often ancient racism blocks minority people from jobs. We have seen this time and time again, where Jose got 100 rejected applications, but if he changed his name to John then he got tons of interviews. We have seen it with Ahmed who changed his name to Adam. We saw it when Jews changed last names before 1939, just to get jobs in government or even get into universities.

So racism matters.. just not when it comes to skills in sports. Sports is such a great anti-racism platform... no one really cares if you are black, white, green or blue.. if you have the skills of Pogba or Messi or LeBron.. who the hell cares!

I don't know...but, the best basketball players in my lifetime were certainly black. A few exceptions: Bird, West, Barry. But, what is that? One a generation? Sure, there are a few more who maybe came across my radar: Nash, Dirk, Havilecek, Collins, Cowens, and Walton for sure. But, all in all, when you go Michael, Magic, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Oscar, et al...you're talking at least 95% of the top 25 are black.

Thing is. I do not have a problem with that. In fact, just the opposite. Black men over 6'5" are simply better athletes than your average tall white dude.

Basketball was literally invented in Canada.

Sent from Donald Trump's Twitter account using Vladimir Putin's computer.

Actually in the US by a Canadian

Race is and issue but social and economic issues are more the basis these days..

European basketball players play the game because they love it. It is a passion, and as with any passion, you become better and better at it because you train and all that. It is often not a "way out" of a social or economic setting.. since basketball relatively speaking is not exactly a money maker in Europe.

American basketball players .. well there are two types and here race comes into play. You have black players.. who might have the passion, but the ability to become a sportsman is often one of the only avenues out of the poverty they grew up in. White players, who also have the passion or/and skill.. frankly have more avenues out of poverty that black players.

As for skill.. has absolutely nothing to do with race. Why? because if blacks were more athletic, then they would dominate all sports.. they dont. Ice Hockey? Nope. Baseball? not so much. Here both economic and social issues and raw talent have a far bigger influence.

France is a good example. Most talented French footballers the last 20 years come from minority background families. Zidane, the second most famous French player is Algerian. Pogba, the best French player at the moment has Guinean ancestry. If you look at the French national team and even the French league... the over representation of minority players is massive. Why? Economic and social... like the US. Minorities have a harder time in France to go up the social and economic ladder in business and politics, and hence many turn to going through sports.

Now you can call it racism and it is in many ways, but it is also the reality out there. The social and economic pressures on minorities in all countries, push these people to try to get up the social and economic ladder by any means possible... may it be crime, or may it be sports. Sure go via the academic way, but more than often ancient racism blocks minority people from jobs. We have seen this time and time again, where Jose got 100 rejected applications, but if he changed his name to John then he got tons of interviews. We have seen it with Ahmed who changed his name to Adam. We saw it when Jews changed last names before 1939, just to get jobs in government or even get into universities.

So racism matters.. just not when it comes to skills in sports. Sports is such a great anti-racism platform... no one really cares if you are black, white, green or blue.. if you have the skills of Pogba or Messi or LeBron.. who the hell cares!

You also need to factor the number of people playing a particular sport

In baseball the number of young black players (ages from say 7-18) is dropping from what it was as a % of population from that in the 80's. As such fewer black players in pro baseball

Very few black people play hockey in the US in comparison to white players (same in Canada) as such fewer black players in the NHL

For basketball, in the US white players do not play to the same level of dedication that black players do, so they get pushed out at the top levels of play and as such fewer white americans in the NBA. In europe the white players get to top levels in their country and as such can find themselves in the NBA.

For a long time heavyweight boxing was dominated by black boxers, now eastern europeans and the british are at the top.

In baseball the number of young black players (ages from say 7-18) is dropping from what it was as a % of population from that in the 80's. As such fewer black players in pro baseball

Very few black people play hockey in the US in comparison to white players (same in Canada) as such fewer black players in the NHL

For basketball, in the US white players do not play to the same level of dedication that black players do, so they get pushed out at the top levels of play and as such fewer white americans in the NBA. In europe the white players get to top levels in their country and as such can find themselves in the NBA.

For a long time heavyweight boxing was dominated by black boxers, now eastern europeans and the british are at the top.
There are also other factors. Primarily, IMO, it's the simplicity of playing the game. Basketball, like soccer, requires almost no resources. A ball, 10 guys and a couple goals are all you need. Anyone can participate.

Compare that to, say, lacrosse. Now there is a game only the better to do can afford. Hockey, in most US states, same thing. You need expensive equipment, facilities, travel, the whole nine yards. But, basketball, hell any playground will do.

So, 10-year old kids get weeded out on the school yard. The better ones make the school team. Of those, a few go on to play in high school, aspiring to reach college ball. In the end, a dozen or so every year reach and stick in the NBA.

Lacrosse guy? He's going to college to be an engineer, financier, lawyer or doctor.

There are also other factors. Primarily, IMO, it's the simplicity of playing the game. Basketball, like soccer, requires almost no resources. A ball, 10 guys and a couple goals are all you need. Anyone can participate.

Compare that to, say, lacrosse. Now there is a game only the better to do can afford. Hockey, in most US states, same thing. You need expensive equipment, facilities, travel, the whole nine yards. But, basketball, hell any playground will do.

So, 10-year old kids get weeded out on the school yard. The better ones make the school team. Of those, a few go on to play in high school, aspiring to reach college ball. In the end, a dozen or so every year reach and stick in the NBA.

Lacrosse guy? He's going to college to be an engineer, financier, lawyer or doctor.

For a 12 -15 year old in Alberta to play hockey at the top levels (for that age group) costs between $3000-5000 a year with all the gear, travelling for tournaments are included. With 2 or three kids playing at that level it is at $15000 and the parents have no time for anything else.

Baseball, as has been mentioned needs gloves, and baseball field in reasonable condition to play. Something I expect the inner cities do not have in significant amounts.

Back in grade 7, we played soccer during lunch, and most of my class also played on league soccer teams. So we were not horrible. One of the kids had a cousin from Italy come over, same age and somewhat overweight. But he schooled our entire school in ball control (up to grade 9).

Last edited:
For a 12 -15 year old in Alberta to play hockey at the top levels (for that age group) costs between $3000-5000 a year with all the gear, travelling for tournaments are included. With 2 or three kids playing at that level it is at $15000 and the parents have no time for anything else.

Baseball, as has been mentioned needs gloves, and baseball field in reasonable condition to play. Something I expect the inner cities do not have in significant amounts

We honed our baseball skills playing fast pitch against a wall with a box drawn on it for a strike zone. A bat, a glove and a 99 cent rubber ball was all we needed. Eventually we joined the little league. Baseball became much more expensive in Jr high school. I remember my Babe Ruth league costing hundreds of dollars a season back in 1977. So, today, it's probably thousands.

Hockey was always expensive. Just the skates alone were 50 bucks back in 1972. Sticks were pretty expensive too. And, once you bought all the pads, you were in for about a $1000, even back then.

Absolutely... British sub-continent people dont play real football.. but they are way overrepresented in cricket :)

Here it is the social aspect.. historically the black community has not embraced baseball... because it was a white mans sport. As for Ice Hockey... well here it is also historical, since there were not that many slaves in "ice hockey" areas of the planet.

For basketball, in the US white players do not play to the same level of dedication that black players do, so they get pushed out at the top levels of play and as such fewer white americans in the NBA.

Because, as I said... white players have more sports to compete in, but also have more opportunities outside sports. Black players not so much. It is rare that you have a black player coming from upper or upper middle class America... most come from poor areas. Basketball and American football are ways out of those hell holes..

In europe the white players get to top levels in their country and as such can find themselves in the NBA.

Well there are reasons for that. First off, the black population aint that large in the countries where basketball is big. Secondly, sports is not a way out of poverty for most of Europe.

Bad example.. boxing is so corrupt, that it has more to do with marketing of the boxer than actual skill. The reason that Mayweather was so "good", was not that he was a good boxer, but his marketing ability and picking the right opponent was better. Ever wonder why most of the biggest boxers in history have mostly been American or British? That Klitcho could break the mold, well.. lets just say the Eastern European mob is powerful.

I was thinking Almonte, Ontario - not Perth.
Either way, you are correct. I was mixing my facts up.

I just like that 3 major spectator sports were either invented in Canada (what would become Canada) or by Canadians

That does seem to be a common problem. I've been watching hockey since age 5 or 6, and probably a decade on snowy, blurry black and white tvs with rabbit ear reception. So, I'm probably trained to watch player movement, which then automatically directs me to puck location. Like I said, it takes skill to watch hockey.

Years ago didn't 1 of the networks experiment with puck 'trails' ? A color trail would show behind the puck as it was moving, so it was easier to follow the puck?

What ever happened to that?

Years ago didn't 1 of the networks experiment with puck 'trails' ? A color trail would show behind the puck as it was moving, so it was easier to follow the puck?

Triggered too many epileptic attacks?

I don’t remember trails, but I remember they had the glowing/highlighted puck on televised games. I liked it, but all of the die hard hockey fans I know hated it.

"Fancy passes" What is a "Fancy Pass"? I mean, we still have the law of physics to obey when considering how a basketball gets from player A to player B.

Or did you mean Fancy Pants? Yes, I think that is what he meant. Fancy Pants.

He missed that insane no look behind the back cross court pass by Ginobli the other day.

IMO, you have to consider:

The NBA is littered with European basketball player yet few white American basketball players. What I think the problem with the NBA and basketball in High School and College is that these players have more focused on pure athletic ability rather than skill-set. In Europe, basketball is more focused on developing a players skill-set rather than in America, where players are more focused on dunking, trick shots, fancy passes, etc..

Is it a coincidence that all of the white players (like 5) in the NBA can shoot 3-pointers?

Basketball imo is more attractive for young athletes that want to showcase their pure athletic ability whereas a sport like MLB showcases your skillset.

yeah, because Stephen Curry isn't the best 3 pointer in history? (black(). Ray Allen? Reggie Miller? Dale Elliis? Jason Terry? All great 3 point shooters, equal and some better, much better than "white" players.

For some sports, like sprinting, NFL, NBA, long distance running, other athletic events, black athletes are better than white athletes. This may have something to do with genes but I think it is more a case of hunger for a better life. For a lot of black youths sports is a way to better themselves and they are very gung ho about it and they practice and practice and play among their other black friends at basketball to a level that a lot of "white" kids do not achieve.

That gives them so much skills and hunger for success that they succeed in beating white players in getting on the team, further enlarging their superiority over the white players dropped from the team, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

This is a very difficult to understand and to study issue that we will not solve it. But where black athletes are better at some things, white athletes are better than black athletes in skiing, speed skating, a lot of winter sports, some athletic events, ice hockey, field hockey, swimming etc. etc. etc.

That is just the way it is, in some sports blacks are better, in other whites.

Regarding unofficial, schoolyard/neighborhood activities in the developmental years (important early development), poor people play soccer and basketball as children. Middle class and rich people play baseball and football. That's because of the equipment required and the size of the field required. Poor kids can afford, collectively, a ball and a net. They can't afford for everyone to buy a glove, or everyone to enroll in a program with pads. Black people are disproportionately poor.

This is also part of the reason why soccer is so popular in poor countries. It's what kids can afford to play.
So, you are saying that blacks are poor and whites are rich?

Back
Top Bottom