• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

Northern bean soup with extra cilantro and a dash of habanero sauce.

bean burrito with mild sauce
tortilla chips with queso

It's a description, I.E. there are underlying issues I'd rather not discuss, but leave it at "my ability to lose weight is greatly hampered, and surgical options are the best path forward.

My post was not intended to be argumentative, merely informative. You are never obligated to explain anything personal to me or anyone else. Your choices are your own to make, and as long as they harm neither you nor anyone else, not even a response to anyone's critique is required. All you need to do is whatever you deem best for you.

I've a close friend since childhood, an anomaly who is 240lbs overweight. He's always been huge, and bigger. Today at 72, other than knee complaints most of us have in our latter years, he's in good health. He still jogs 10 miles almost every morning. They wouldn't take him in the military, because they couldn't fit him in a uniform (or two), same with the NYPD, he ended up a high school principal, and never feared challenging the fastest kids to races he won. Then he'd challenge the stronger kids in his schools to beer keg tossing. They could barely pick them up, he'd toss them 30-40 feet. The kegs were full, and if they managed to toss one, the deal was they could keep one. None ever got that keg. I'd show when he did this, just to watch the kegs he tossed explode. Same with the non-competing kids, always with hope one contender might win. :)

His kids loved him, he was always fare with them, always reasonable. One of the gentlest men I've ever known. No one else in his family, his siblings, parents, not even his own three children, are anything like him.

vegetarian Mexican pizza
side of seasoned rice

Subway Spicy Italian with all the veggies and a few bites of walnut milk chocolate for dessert.

I don't how much of it I'll be able to eat, but I've put up a slow cook in the oven lamb cassoulet. I picked up about 2lbs of early spring lamb leg, deboned, and trimmed by the local butcher. This is the lowest fat content cut of lamb next to the shank. In a 6 quart glass lid ceramic casserole dish, I placed layers of lamb, mushrooms, 4 lbs dry of presoaked in saltwater navy and white beans, gleaned for rocks and pebbles, assorted herbs, fresh thyme, parsley, marjoram, crushed garlic, a pint of skinned pearl onions, 2 oz of real maple syrup, a pint of fresh red currants, and two 12 ounce packages of crimini mushrooms, sliced, two well cleaned and thinly sliced leeks, white parts only. Added about 24 ozs of cold water. I preheated the oven to 275 degrees, put this up at about 11:30 am, and it will stay in the oven until about 5:30-6 pm, removed for about a 1/2 hour with the lid on to cool down before serving. It will continue cooking out of the oven. The beans will absorb most of the water that doesn't steam off.

My wife is preparing a huge green salad, and preparing dough for flat breads she'll bake once the cassoulet is out of the oven. We're expecting 3 adults and six of the grandkids for dinner. I put up about a gallon each of fresh iced tea and lemonade yesterday. Plenty of ice cream in the freezer, to have with fresh sliced fruit and coffee for desert, chocolate milk for the kids, made with U-Bet syrup, and a spritz of seltzer for those who desire egg creams.

This is first cassoulet for my twin 3-1/2 year old twin boys. They're happiest when eating, whatever is put in front of their faces unless it is green, with the exception of mint chocolate chip ice cream. :)

I don't how much of it I'll be able to eat, but I've put up a slow cook in the oven lamb cassoulet. I picked up about 2lbs of early spring lamb leg, deboned, and trimmed by the local butcher. This is the lowest fat content cut of lamb next to the shank. In a 6 quart glass lid ceramic casserole dish, I placed layers of lamb, mushrooms, 4 lbs dry of presoaked in saltwater navy and white beans, gleaned for rocks and pebbles, assorted herbs, fresh thyme, parsley, marjoram, crushed garlic, a pint of skinned pearl onions, 2 oz of real maple syrup, a pint of fresh red currants, and two 12 ounce packages of crimini mushrooms, sliced, two well cleaned and thinly sliced leeks, white parts only. Added about 24 ozs of cold water. I preheated the oven to 275 degrees, put this up at about 11:30 am, and it will stay in the oven until about 5:30-6 pm, removed for about a 1/2 hour with the lid on to cool down before serving. It will continue cooking out of the oven. The beans will absorb most of the water that doesn't steam off.

My wife is preparing a huge green salad, and preparing dough for flat breads she'll bake once the cassoulet is out of the oven. We're expecting 3 adults and six of the grandkids for dinner. I put up about a gallon each of fresh iced tea and lemonade yesterday. Plenty of ice cream in the freezer, to have with fresh sliced fruit and coffee for desert, chocolate milk for the kids, made with U-Bet syrup, and a spritz of seltzer for those who desire egg creams.

This is first cassoulet for my twin 3-1/2 year old twin boys. They're happiest when eating, whatever is put in front of their faces unless it is green, with the exception of mint chocolate chip ice cream. :)

O. M. G.

That sounds amazing but Maple Syrup....Really?

Does anyone ever do that?

Did it work?

My post was not intended to be argumentative, merely informative. You are never obligated to explain anything personal to me or anyone else. Your choices are your own to make, and as long as they harm neither you nor anyone else, not even a response to anyone's critique is required. All you need to do is whatever you deem best for you.

I've a close friend since childhood, an anomaly who is 240lbs overweight. He's always been huge, and bigger. Today at 72, other than knee complaints most of us have in our latter years, he's in good health. He still jogs 10 miles almost every morning. They wouldn't take him in the military, because they couldn't fit him in a uniform (or two), same with the NYPD, he ended up a high school principal, and never feared challenging the fastest kids to races he won. Then he'd challenge the stronger kids in his schools to beer keg tossing. They could barely pick them up, he'd toss them 30-40 feet. The kegs were full, and if they managed to toss one, the deal was they could keep one. None ever got that keg. I'd show when he did this, just to watch the kegs he tossed explode. Same with the non-competing kids, always with hope one contender might win. :)

His kids loved him, he was always fare with them, always reasonable. One of the gentlest men I've ever known. No one else in his family, his siblings, parents, not even his own three children, are anything like him.

No no, I wasnt' offended, I just didn't and wont go into all the details. That's all.

O. M. G.

That sounds amazing but Maple Syrup....Really?

Does anyone ever do that?

Did it work?

Boston Baked Beans are beans and maple syrup, sometimes molasses, and brown sugar, plus bacon or fatback, Dijon mustard and ground cloves. Both are sweeteners, I prefer the flavor of maple syrup. I tried a taste about a half hour ago, making sure it didn't need more water. It didn't. But it is working nicely. The amount of syrup doesn't make it very sweet, but it takes the edge off the bitterness of cooking the herbs for such a long period of time. My mother used to use brown sugar instead of maple syrup or molasses when slow cooking beans. Another dish you might want to look up, Cholent, a Sabbath dish for Jews who observe the no cooking on the Sabbath rules. Not lighting a fire. Beans, short ribs, carrots, potatoes, onions,honey, smoked paprika, placed in the bank ashes of a fire on a Friday morning, read to eat for Saturday lunch after morning prayers. These days slow cooked in the oven.

Boston Baked Beans are beans and maple syrup, sometimes molasses, and brown sugar, plus bacon or fatback, Dijon mustard and ground cloves. Both are sweeteners, I prefer the flavor of maple syrup. I tried a taste about a half hour ago, making sure it didn't need more water. It didn't. But it is working nicely. The amount of syrup doesn't make it very sweet, but it takes the edge off the bitterness of cooking the herbs for such a long period of time. My mother used to use brown sugar instead of maple syrup or molasses when slow cooking beans. Another dish you might want to look up, Cholent, a Sabbath dish for Jews who observe the no cooking on the Sabbath rules. Not lighting a fire. Beans, short ribs, carrots, potatoes, onions,honey, smoked paprika, placed in the bank ashes of a fire on a Friday morning, read to eat for Saturday lunch after morning prayers. These days slow cooked in the oven.

Ya Ya but the point is this: Are you allowed to add Maple Syrup and then still call it by its French name?

I mean I am fine either way but in this day of "cultural appropriation" who can ever know without asking I ask you....

Welcome Back Friend

:2wave:

Last edited:
Ya Ya but the point is this: Are you allowed to add Maple Syrup and then still call it by its French name?

I mean I am fine either way but in this day of "cultural appropriation" who can ever know without asking I ask you....

Welcome Back Friend

:2wave:

The French use brown sugar in their cassoulets. Before American cane sugar and tomatoes arrived, the French used dried chopped apricots and dates to caramelize the crust of cassoulets, and included duck confit (fried duck fat), bacon, sausage, other pork cuts including skin, lamb and even fish in their early recipes.

Thanks.

Kielbasi with garlic shrimp and rice.

To OldFatGuy...jelly beans saved from Easter so I have five bags left and they will go through the year.

fake chicken sandwich with mayo, pickles, and lettuce
BBQ kettle chips with ketchup.

Good morning all. We had some leftover roasted potatoes, some corn and frozen peas left. I browned some lean ground wild boar meat, jalapenos, seasoning of course, added the leftovers, and along with a salad, that turned out to be a great meal.

Last night, I made steamed mussels and I NAILED the cook time. They were that perfect texture of "just done" and the seasoning was spot on.
1/2 cup chicken stock
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cubes of frozen basil
2 cloves of garlic crushed
teaspoon black pepper
tablespoon.. well just under a tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup riesling wine
1/4 cup water
1/2 stick butter

Get it to a hard boil, toss in 2 lbs of cleaned and checked mussels

once they pop open, (shake pan several times, use a glass lid if you have one) let cook for 30 seconds or less and serve.

So good.

Last night, I made steamed mussels and I NAILED the cook time. They were that perfect texture of "just done" and the seasoning was spot on.
1/2 cup chicken stock
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cubes of frozen basil
2 cloves of garlic crushed
teaspoon black pepper
tablespoon.. well just under a tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup riesling wine
1/4 cup water
1/2 stick butter

Get it to a hard boil, toss in 2 lbs of cleaned and checked mussels

once they pop open, (shake pan several times, use a glass lid if you have one) let cook for 30 seconds or less and serve.

So good.

Good bread, you forgot good bread and a sprinkle of chopped italian parsley.

pizza with spicy marinara / sun dried tomatoes / onions / black olives
couple small cheesy breadsticks

Tonight it is the wife and me. I'm making cauliflower and eggs in a preheated pan at a low temperature. Two 1" thick slices of cauliflower from the center, in olive oil, with crushed and chopped garlic, flipped over after two minutes on the first side, then with thinly sliced yellow onion and tomato, fresh shredded basil, oregano, and parsley, 3-4 minutes covered. Then four cracked eggs, 2 over each cauliflower slice, a dash of smoked Hungarian paprika on each egg, a sprinkling of fresh grated reggiano on each egg, covered for 3-4 minutes. Served with assorted Greek olives on the side, lightly toasted fresh sliced bakery rye bread, the kind Deli's use to call silk, for the chewy crusts, silky soft interiors, for sopping up the excess olive oil. Cold brewed iced tea sweetened with a tbsp of pear brandy in each tall glass.

We'll munch some mandarin oranges first, and have whipped plain frozen yogurt with blueberries and coffee for desert.

Nothing goes to waste. I cubed the balance of the cauliflower, boiled (2 lbs) quartered mixed red and yellow small potatoes, blanched the cauliflower by draining the boiled potatoes (12-13 minutes) into a colander with the cauliflower at the bottom, drained it well before transferring to a large ceramic bowl to cool down. (remember it keeps cooking until cooled) Made some fresh mayo with dijon mustard, chopped chives, more parsley, green onions, some shredded left over bok choy, fresh ground black pepper and tossed until all was well coated with the mayo and the herbs and veggies were evenly distributed. Covered, stuck in the fridge for the weekend as a side. (my wife cheated and took a taste, so did I, needed a touch of salt, but that will be up to each diner at the table)

Life is good. Wishing you all, good eating.

my wife made us grilled cheese sandwiches. mine was on rye. she makes them at a lower heat setting and they're better than mine, so i'm going to have to try that.
sweet potato and corn chowder.

We got a new barbecue grill last year.... I believe it was near the end of Fall. Bought it online half price. It is all stainless steel except for the drip pan which is porcelain. We used it for the first time today. Hubby isn't a grill master but he wants to learn. I shared with him how to pick out good steaks, just the right amount of marbling and no chunky fat and an inch thick or so. He went to the market and bought the steaks and all the trimmings. He did good.

But that isn't the only thing he did quite well. He made a salad and I was so impressed with his knife skills. Everything was perfectly cut. He had asked earlier about marinating the meat and I suggested with a good steak the best thing is to rub both sides with kosher sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper and a little bit of garlic powder. And with his sautéed baby bellas and onions it wasn't going to need anything else. I suggested next time we get skirt steak or chicken and we could work on marinades then. I have a few cookbooks on grilling and marinades. I am going to put them next to his reading chair and he can browse and find what sounds good to him.

His steaks, the entire dinner he prepared was excellent. The steaks were so big we split one. The other will be used in a beef, broccoli, onion, mushroom stir fry for tomorrow.

Life is good.

Last edited:
1/2 avocado veggie sandwich
1/2 mac and cheese
club crackers
bit of pie

Back
Top Bottom