• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What did you have for dinner? -Part dois

The wife did a london broil. Wasn't by choice - can't always get the best cuts in a meat share. It was good, but we agreed to just use cuts like that in a stew. They tend to get a lot more tender that way than something like broiling.

I have found that london broil needs to be marinated for a day or two, and grilled. Sliced really thin it is OK.

Oh and I've been meaning to post a pic. I'd mentioned that the wife and I like to finish the mixed juice and blood from a roast after we eat it (I usually cook it so the very center is rare, most of the meat we eat medium-rare to medium). I was told that it cannot be blood but is broken protein because of the way meat is bled out here before sale. So, I took a photo of the still-packed roast from our meat share:

Bloody meat.jpg

Broken down protein? Or blood that hasn't been exposed to much in the way of oxygen yet?

Also, here are some ribs I apparently cooked on March 13, 2018:

Ribs.jpg

I've been undergoing some chemo for the past week. Can't hold much down. I hated jello before this week. I've been relearning why I hate jello this past week. At least today, I've been eating some light ice cream. The small things we take for granted. 2 more treatments, and then in a few days slowly back to real food. Light food, but real food.

Tonight, some scrambled eggs. No bread, but iced tea. My wife is going out to dinner with her sister. I'm going to try and sneak a beer. A friend smuggled in a bottle of light beer. I never drink light beers. Right now, the thought is one of Nirvana. :)

i hope that you are feeling better soon and that your appetite returns to normal. enjoy the beer on the sly.

grilled cheese
couple onion rings
fries

went out with my wife and father in law, and it was really fun.

grilled cheese
couple onion rings
fries

went out with my wife and father in law, and it was really fun.

Love grilled cheese with tomato soup.

I've been undergoing some chemo for the past week. Can't hold much down. I hated jello before this week. I've been relearning why I hate jello this past week. At least today, I've been eating some light ice cream. The small things we take for granted. 2 more treatments, and then in a few days slowly back to real food. Light food, but real food.

Tonight, some scrambled eggs. No bread, but iced tea. My wife is going out to dinner with her sister. I'm going to try and sneak a beer. A friend smuggled in a bottle of light beer. I never drink light beers. Right now, the thought is one of Nirvana. :)

Hugs and good thoughts and no jello coming your way.

Love grilled cheese with tomato soup.

same here. i didn't like tomato soup as a kid, but i really enjoy it now. it's interesting how tastes change.

same here. i didn't like tomato soup as a kid, but i really enjoy it now. it's interesting how tastes change.

Have you tried some melting cheese and a bit of julienned basil in the soup for added flavor? It really makes it exciting.

Have you tried some melting cheese and a bit of julienned basil in the soup for added flavor? It really makes it exciting.

not yet, but that sounds like a great idea. thanks!

Damn Man......

:(

Sounds much worse than it is. Thyroid cancer is the easiest to cure when found early. Went in for an annual battery check on the pacemaker, stayed for a sonogram of the carotid arteries, if clogged, RotoRooter. The sonogram turned up a nodule on the thyroid and relatively clear arteries. More tests, a biopsy, and they decided to remove it. They removed it in ten minutes, half the time waiting for the local to kick in, with a robotic arm programmed to use 6 needles one after the other to suck it out. Those needles are thinner than those they use when you go for a blood test. Amazing technology. I felt nothing, spent more time traveling back and forth than at Sloan Kettering. No need for radiation, chemo to be on the safe side. 3 treatments this past week, 3 more next week and then I'm done. Should be back to normal 3-4 weeks. People go through much worse in this life.

:( I hope it goes well and ends soon. :( Chemo sucks (I know, the alternatives are worse... shhhhh)

This is the fifth time. Twice had tumors removed from the muscles in my left leg. Already a mess, kept me out of the loop for about 6 weeks each time, and kept the pain away with prescribed morphine, later Demerol, followed by Vicodin. (the dreams were intense :) ) 3 times, skin cancers, no pain, no chemo, and a bit of radiation. Left some nice scars on my face I can lie about to impress kids. "This one is a dueling scar, me and Errol Flynn were going at it......" Then I find out they have no idea who Errol Flynn was. :doh

Broken down protein? Or blood that hasn't been exposed to much in the way of oxygen yet?

Broken proteins and water. Store bought American meats are bled out, often packed in salts when not being frozen for shipment, which drain the meat of all fluids, then soaked with water before carving into cuts for consumers. The blood is used in pet food, animal feed, fish farming feed and fertilizer.

Hugs and good thoughts and no jello coming your way.

My two oldest granddaughters showed up at my door 15 minutes after my wife left. They brought lemon flan and 6 bottles of craft beer. 5 minutes later two of my grandsons showed up with a 6 pack from dad who is working tonight. Then 4 of the fellows and the owner of a local bar my wife and I have been known to habituate, showed up with 2 pitchers of draft and a case of bottled pale ale. My wife showed up 20 minutes ago, and unceremoniously gave them all the boot. I drank a glass of the draft, and one of the pale ales. Most of it. I have no complaints. I couldn't take any more of the singing from the bar guys. I have no doubt the neighbors appreciate that they are gone.

Thanks very much for the no jello.

Broken proteins and water. Store bought American meats are bled out, often packed in salts when not being frozen for shipment, which drain the meat of all fluids, then soaked with water before carving into cuts for consumers. The blood is used in pet food, animal feed, fish farming feed and fertilizer.

It's not store bought.

It's not store bought.

Doesn't matter. The bleeding process is a health requirement by Federal law, even meat share coops have to follow the law. I have no idea why that law exists.

I used to hunt for venison. Field dressed the kill, and bled out the corpse on the spot. If we didn't, the meat would turn before we got it home. Also, doing so lightened the load for carrying out from the field, tho sometimes we'd clean out the stomach and bladder, use them to carry some of the blood out with us. Not for human consumption, but cheap protein for the animal feed at home. Especially good for the chicken feed. The British and the Germans do like their blood sausage.

Hoagie and wedding soup. Jelly beans for dessert.

Hoagie and wedding soup. Jelly beans for dessert.

Hmmm, jelly beans. Can't recall when I last had jelly beans. Now I can't get jelly beans off my mind.

Lamb shoulder chops, in a sort of stew-like braise, red wine/carrots/mushrooms/onion...

Braised cabbage with toasted quinoa

Hmmm, jelly beans. Can't recall when I last had jelly beans. Now I can't get jelly beans off my mind.
I bought extra bags for Easter and put them away for later. I store them in a cold dry place in the Cellar and of course in a container. The ones I have has the good pectin. Not the 100 percent sugar and color dye from the grocery stores during the year. So when the 4th of July rolls around I have the good Easter jelly beans we know and love.

sesame Asian salad with wonton strips and sliced almonds
vegetable egg roll

I am so very sorry to hear you are going through Chemo. Too many friends and family members have had to endure such a treatment and it is a hard one. But one thing that has stood out with all of them is when their ability to eat and their taste buds are all off, they say orange sherbet, orange soda tastes great to them. Just thought I would pass that on incase it might help you.

Tonight for dinner I went Olive Garden. Food wasn't bad. Service was good. Company sucked.

I am so very sorry to hear you are going through Chemo. Too many friends and family members have had to endure such a treatment and it is a hard one. But one thing that has stood out with all of them is when their ability to eat and their taste buds are all off, they say orange sherbet, orange soda tastes great to them. Just thought I would pass that on incase it might help you.

Tonight for dinner I went Olive Garden. Food wasn't bad. Service was good. Company sucked.

Thanks. Throughout this experience I've been sucking and chewing on fresh orange sections, mint leaves and pomegranate juice ice cubes. Dry mouth has been one of my responses to the chemo. Plain water doesn't do the trick, tho I'm drinking more water than usual. Hydration is another issue.

Thanks. Throughout this experience I've been sucking and chewing on fresh orange sections, mint leaves and pomegranate juice ice cubes. Dry mouth has been one of my responses to the chemo. Plain water doesn't do the trick, tho I'm drinking more water than usual. Hydration is another issue.

If I were mean I'd suggest orange jello.

Back
Top Bottom