• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Website Labeled ‘Fake News’ Threatens To Sue WaPo For Defamation

Could be. Or it could be lipstick, a cellphone, car keys, a mic pack, a crack pipe, a thumb drive (holding either deleted Benghazi e-mails or Donald Trump's tax returns), a mind control device, colostomy bag clip. All which have been peddled..

But can we get back on subject?

Sure....I think that most people reading headlines like what you put up there would come to the same conclusion that you and I can admit, and that is that those were not "hard news"..... The problem is that the people feel as though they are not getting hard news from what should be "trusted" to give us the truth without opinion, unless it is clear that opinion is what they are giving in an op ed section....We don't get that today, so ironically, it is the very papers like NYTimes, and WaPo that in a way gave rise to these other sites.

Sure....I think that most people reading headlines like what you put up there would come to the same conclusion that you and I can admit, and that is that those were not "hard news"..... The problem is that the people feel as though they are not getting hard news from what should be "trusted" to give us the truth without opinion, unless it is clear that opinion is what they are giving in an op ed section....We don't get that today, so ironically, it is the very papers like NYTimes, and WaPo that in a way gave rise to these other sites.

So your point being is this. People go to fake news conspiracy website like InfoWars and other places that peddle the story of Pizzagate because they are not getting what they want to hear. I guess your kinda proving my point. That fake news does exist.

So your point being is this. People go to fake news conspiracy website like InfoWars and other places that peddle the story of Pizzagate because they are not getting what they want to hear. I guess your kinda proving my point. That fake news does exist.

Maybe, kind of....And yes "Fake news" does exist, but not in just internet sites with dumb titles or known conspiracy theorists, but in the pages of NYTimes, and WaPo as well....It's called bias. Now, in other discussions on bias we are always told that yes bias exists, but that rational people can discern fact from editorial content and make the decision for themselves. Why not here? No, to argue that some sort of government entity needs to make that call for us, is to advocate censorship.

Maybe, kind of....And yes "Fake news" does exist, but not in just internet sites with dumb titles or known conspiracy theorists, but in the pages of NYTimes, and WaPo as well....It's called bias. Now, in other discussions on bias we are always told that yes bias exists, but that rational people can discern fact from editorial content and make the decision for themselves. Why not here?
Fake news is generally used to confirm ones bias via deception and/or to create irrational outrage.

No, to argue that some sort of government entity needs to make that call for us, is to advocate censorship.
Are you stating that I think the government should "make the calls" on what "news" should be published? Because I have stated twice I do not advocate that....

Fake news is generally used to confirm ones bias via deception and/or to create irrational outrage.

You don't think that supposed "accepted" news sites do this as well?

Are you stating that I think the government should "make the calls" on what "news" should be published? Because I have stated twice I do not advocate that....

So then, what is your proposal for dealing with them?

You don't think that supposed "accepted" news sites do this as well?
For the most part no. Maybe in an op-ed section, but those are ran as opinion pieces and not "news". But for the most part they dont publish stories that Hillary Clinton is involved in a child sex ring at a pizza joint. Or they dont publish stories that Barack Obama is involved in a satanic ritual. Or that chemtrails exist to control our brains. Or Bush did 9/11. Or Hillary Clinton has a secret "seizure doctor" who is on the ready to stab her with some pen. Or that their are Muslim prayer rugs all over the border. Or that Barack Obama told undocumented immigrants to go vote.

So then, what is your proposal for dealing with them?
Like I said earlier. There is not "solution" which involves the government. The only thing that can be relied upon is people's own objectiveness, researches, "fact checkers", just a tiny bit of research, etc.

For the most part no. Maybe in an op-ed section, but those are ran as opinion pieces and not "news". But for the most part they dont publish stories that Hillary Clinton is involved in a child sex ring at a pizza joint. Or they dont publish stories that Barack Obama is involved in a satanic ritual. Or that chemtrails exist to control our brains. Or Bush did 9/11. Or Hillary Clinton has a secret "seizure doctor" who is on the ready to stab her with some pen. Or that their are Muslim prayer rugs all over the border. Or that Barack Obama told undocumented immigrants to go vote.

For the most part? Really?

Like I said earlier. There is not "solution" which involves the government. The only thing that can be relied upon is people's own objectiveness, researches, "fact checkers", just a tiny bit of research, etc.

So then have a little faith in people then would ya? Good grief, it sure wasn't conservatives that started bitching about supposed "fake news".....

Ok, noted, but this up and coming attack of internet sites that are competing with established news outlets like NYTimes, and WaPo, threatening their readership in the wake of recent uncovered, unabashed bias during the election and in fact up to the present, I think is an attempt by a gasping, failing structure that can no longer compete with the likes of internet journalism, social media, and citizen watchdogs that expose their agenda's....

Or these sites that you are complaining about actually has the journalistic integrity to call out these perpetrators and peddlers of fake news. If one was to do a cross reference check of the stories posted on Nakedcapitalism vs Washington Post, which one do you truly think will be the most objective there? Further I have yet to see much in the way of this so-called fake news that the Washington Post is supposedly peddling. Care to point it out to me?

For the most part? Really?
Yes

So then have a little faith in people then would ya? Good grief, it sure wasn't conservatives that started bitching about supposed "fake news".....
You're the one bitching about the study and article on the study about fake news :lamo
Im simply saying it exists and then you get all your panties in a bunch

Uh this news site in the article is no better than my blog the difference is I try to remain objective...
Now you're melding fakery and self-deception.
Both are difficult to prove.

Now you're melding fakery and self-deception.
Both are difficult to prove.

I think when you name your site Nakedcapitalism, the agenda there is all too clear, don't you? The bias is in the title.

Yes

You're the one bitching about the study and article on the study about fake news :lamo
Im simply saying it exists and then you get all your panties in a bunch

Sure it exists.
And using accusations of fakery can be used to discredit actual events.

They even have an agenda: chronicles the large scale, concerted campaign to reduce the bargaining power and pay of ordinary workers relative to investors and elite technocrats: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Capitalism

"The site has had over 60 million visitors since 2007, and was cited as among CNBC’s 2012 top 25 "Best Alternative Financial Blogs", calling Smith "a harsh critic of Wall Street who believes that fraud was at the center of the financial crisis."[2]

Hmmmm....Seems your so called main stream truth tellers liked them a whole lot, until they didn't eh?

"The site has had over 60 million visitors since 2007, and was cited as among CNBC’s 2012 top 25 "Best Alternative Financial Blogs", calling Smith "a harsh critic of Wall Street who believes that fraud was at the center of the financial crisis."[2]

Hmmmm....Seems your so called main stream truth tellers liked them a whole lot, until they didn't eh?

Are you telling me that CNBC and Wash Post have different opinions??? Wow.

So, here's the question....What constitutes a "fake" news site? Is it just because a heavy hitter like the NYTimes, or WaPo says so? We are all about to find out.....What say you?

If a random sampling of their stuff is researched and turns out to be fake, then they qualify. It's time for the "entertainment only" label.

Are you telling me that CNBC and Wash Post have different opinions??? Wow.

No, I am saying that all this "fake news" crap is about MSM losing their hold on readership/viewership and they are scared to death since this last election showed them to be the lying hacks they are.

If a random sampling of their stuff is researched and turns out to be fake, then they qualify. It's time for the "entertainment only" label.

You need a label to tell what is BS and what isn't? Really?

You need a label to tell what is BS and what isn't? Really?

Well people obviously NEED a label or fake news wouldn't be a problem now would it.

Well people obviously NEED a label or fake news wouldn't be a problem now would it.

It's not a problem....You mean you can't tell the difference between say PrisonPlanet, and NYTimes?

No, I am saying that all this "fake news" crap is about MSM losing their hold on readership/viewership and they are scared to death since this last election showed them to be the lying hacks they are.

You still haven't shown this to be true.

I don't have to show anything to hold an opinion....This is my opinion....You don't like it? so what?

You are acting like it is a fact and are telling me like I should know it. You couldn't have formed this opinion on your own, I was just trying to see where you got it from, if you don't want to share that, then there is no point in discussing this any further.

You are acting like it is a fact and are telling me like I should know it. You couldn't have formed this opinion on your own, I was just trying to see where you got it from, if you don't want to share that, then there is no point in discussing this any further.

I couldn't have formed this opinion on my own? why not? I assure you as a 54 year old man that has seen quite a bit in my life, I can form my own opinions.....

Back
Top Bottom