• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:123]ANTIFA goons plan protest at Covington Catholic High

Re: ANTIFA goons plan protest at Covington Catholic High

Fantastic. Now the same idiot leftists that have attacked a bunch of teenagers for standing and smiling while being confronted by an asshole agitator can continue to support the ****ing assholes that they have previously cheered on while they attacked people in public. Theres a whole lot of 'win' in this for the idiot leftists.

Nice avatar!

Totally agree with your assessment. AN TIFA is fringe and insane. They represent nothing of the Democratic party

Wow.

DSpO0wSXcAMPvjw.jpg

Keith Ellison on Twitter: "At @MoonPa
Really?

At least antifa hasn't sexually abused thousands of little boys like the Catholic Church. But, hey. If you want to defend the Catholic School...:shrug:

At least Keith Ellison doesn't beat women.

Oh...wait...

"Right wing continues to play the persecution card based on this story"

Jesus christ, your guys act is so old and played out

Jeeees, man, it's blackout, not blackface.
It goes back about 10 years.

In 2008 the NYT run an article on that "new phenomenon". I don't have a subscription to the NYT, but if you do, google: NYT basketball blackout Johnny Cash.

Check a little further into that photo. Also look where most of those students eyes are directed. Not on the black player.
Apparently that's for their 'black out' tradition, to show support during games. But that's pretty tone-deaf and tacky if I'm gonna be totally honest.
Alright then, thanks all for the heads-up and my enlightenment.

But that white highlighting of the mouth & eyes would definitely seem to be blackface, to me. I suppose there might be plausible denial, in that kids that young may be naive and not aware of what they're doing? But that doesn't explain where's the teacher & parent supervision? And against an African-American team, of all things?

At best it looks ignorant, uneducated, and tone deaf. At worst, it looks uncaring or exhibiting a problematic cultural problem.

But that white highlighting of the mouth & eyes would definitely seem to be blackface, to me. I suppose there might be plausible denial, in that kids that young may be naive and not aware of what they're doing? But that doesn't explain where's the teacher & parent supervision? And against an African-American team, of all things?

At best it looks ignorant, uneducated, and tone deaf. At worst, it looks uncaring or exhibiting a problematic cultural problem.

Nobody cares what it seems to you ... as eating a chocolate-covered doughnut would seem racist to you.

Thats why I said it was pretty tacky and tone-deaf, regardless of the intention.

Thats why I said it was pretty tacky and tone-deaf, regardless of the intention.
Yeah. All in all, the entire situation (at the Lincoln Memorial) is looking like a mess from all sides. But the hardcore a-holes in my opinion, are the Hebrew Israelites. And they skated.

Also, the Covington parent-chaperons could have made better decisions - without a doubt! I'm sure the school will instate training or more specific guidelines for chaperons, whom are usually not just teachers but often parent-volunteers (for the day). There's no way they should have allowed a 17 yo student to place himself in conflict with any adult (or any other person). And singing and chanting the school fight song? Geezus, what idiots.

Fantastic. Now the same idiot leftists that have attacked a bunch of teenagers for standing and smiling while being confronted by an asshole agitator can continue to support the ****ing assholes that they have previously cheered on while they attacked people in public. Theres a whole lot of 'win' in this for the idiot leftists.

I calculate that if you tell 5.2 more extremely stupid lies about "leftists", reality will warp around your lies and make them true.

OMG, let's hope none of the smirk at anyone!

I calculate that if you tell 5.2 more extremely stupid lies about "leftists", reality will warp around your lies and make them true.

Someone is a little bit obsessed. Flattering I suppose...but a little bit...creepy.

:lamo

I see. Hmmm...fairly strict. So should I call you "Brother Chomsky" from now on? ;) j/k

Well I never went to Catholic School, although I knew kids who did and I do know they always complained about how very strict it was.
Then there was the Blues Brother's movie. So there is that too. ;)

As a Non-Catholic I was raised to respect women and elders, but I was also raised to respect myself too. While I will open doors, and otherwise assist the elderly, I do not see the need to always move aside simply because they try to walk through me absent obvious disability (blind, wheelchair, etc.).

I still hold (non-Catholic that I am) that the Drummer could have meandered around like he was already doing and simply walked past the kid to either side rather than walking directly at him and then (as stated) trying to intimidate the kid to move aside.

IMO it takes TWO to create a confrontation, and if the kid was at fault, then IMO the Activist was at least equally at fault if not more so since he made false claims about the incident when reporting on it later.

Still, I'll give you that as a student of a Catholic School, he might be held to a higher standard than I would have held him to.
Yes. Catholic schools are strict, and were even more strict when I attended. And there is constant introspection and examination of one's values and performance, particularly in terms of ethics & morals.

This examination is done personally and spiritually through personal prayer and the sacrament of reconciliation (confession), but also extensively in a group environment in the classroom during theology and other classes. In fact, this ethical & moral inspection and debate often permeates other non-theological and non-ethics based classes.

Catholic Schools actively promote that as a student & Catholic you're expected to perform in all areas - but especially areas involving ethics & morals - at higher levels than base society. Being "legal" is not good enough. One needs to be "right", and to do the "right thing", regardless of society and its legal or other standards.

Obviously Catholic education had a lasting influence on me, since I feel strongly about these ideals until today. Strongly enough, that I wanted the same instilled in my kids.

Anyway, I hope I've provided some insight.

Someone is a little bit obsessed. Flattering I suppose...but a little bit...creepy.

Why don't you go find some posts you think indicate "support" of ANTIFA instead of making up bull about "leftists"?

You can make all the personal attacks you won't. It won't change the fact that no, "leftists" - whatever that made-up term is - do not support them. We both know that, which is why you didn't provide the long list of posts that would exist if you weren't lying. And also because we know that, it's why you chose to make your response personal, rather than defend your false substantive claim.

Impeding the old man's progress, and staring him down. It was idiotic and confrontational. It was absolutely out-of-line. Also, the tomahawk hand gestures were 100% wrong and unequivocal, in my opinion. And singing the fight song? Geezus, talk about doing the wrong thing at the wrong time.

My old school would not allow these behaviours, and neither would my kids' (I believe).

If I were the school:

1] I'd discipline the MAGA kid and all the tomahawk kids with JUGs (detentions). JUG is not on the kids' school records, and does not suspend them. It simply gives them a time-out where they have to report outside of school hours for either 4 or 8 hours to a detention classroom. They sit in desks with absolutely no talking allowed, but they may read or do homework if they so desire. JUG is a rolling thing, so further (or previous) JUGs are cumulative in determining the length of detention. Too many JUGs could be cause for dismissal, though.

2] I'd really question the teacher about the fight song, and he or she better really impress upon me that in his or her stress they chose it as some form of ill-advised safety measure. I mean better REALLY impress this upon me.

3] Obviously there's going to be a ton of education on social awareness coupled with safety training.

Oh, and "JUG" = "Justice Under Good".

now see to me this is the whole problem with the way leftists think. The kid doesn't owe deference to anyone by default. it's not up to him to "get out of the way" when he is standing waiting and it isn't him invading other peoples space. "staring down " also known as " looking at "someone isn't a crime either and smiling surely isn't.

he owes a modicum of respect to others yes, but in no way did he cross any line. if others do not reciprocate his respect then he doesn't even owe them that, no matter who they are.

Why don't you go find some posts you think indicate "support" of ANTIFA instead of making up bull about "leftists"?

You can make all the personal attacks you won't. It won't change the fact that no, "leftists" - whatever that made-up term is - do not support them. We both know that, which is why you didn't provide the long list of posts that would exist if you weren't lying. And also because we know that, it's why you chose to make your response personal, rather than defend your false substantive claim.
I dont play stupid games...but you go ahead and feel free to look up the numerous past threads where McConnel, Sanders and others were assailed in public and the idiots that defended those actions.

Yeah. All in all, the entire situation (at the Lincoln Memorial) is looking like a mess from all sides. But the hardcore a-holes in my opinion, are the Hebrew Israelites. And they skated.

Also, the Covington parent-chaperons could have made better decisions - without a doubt! I'm sure the school will instate training or more specific guidelines for chaperons, whom are usually not just teachers but often parent-volunteers (for the day). There's no way they should have allowed a 17 yo student to place himself in conflict with any adult (or any other person). And singing and chanting the school fight song? Geezus, what idiots.

Agreed.

I do agree that even if the students weren't aware of the controversial blackface, I find it pretty slim odds that teachers and parents were clueless. Which just adds a second scenario where they didn't step in to explain how it could be taken by the other team or people looking at it now.

One chaperone is claiming they couldn't have done anything different at the memorial. That is a complete bus load of crap. Move the students away from the verbal assault, breakup the stare down between Sandmann and Phillips. That's exactly what could have and should have been done to stop the whole thing in it's tracks.

Honestly the parents don't seem to have any common sense at all.

I do agree that even if the students weren't aware of the controversial blackface, I find it pretty slim odds that teachers and parents were clueless. Which just adds a second scenario where they didn't step in to explain how it could be taken by the other team or people looking at it now.

One chaperone is claiming they couldn't have done anything different at the memorial. That is a complete bus load of crap. Move the students away from the verbal assault, breakup the stare down between Sandmann and Phillips. That's exactly what could have and should have been done to stop the whole thing in it's tracks.

Honestly the parents don't seem to have any common sense at all.
OMG, this is hilarious! Now this leads me to believe there indeed may a cultural problem at this school.

I have chaperoned, myself. It's what the parents do. Today the schools depend upon parent lay chaperones, that augment the teaching staff just for the day of the field trip. Do you know what would have happened to me if I had allowed a 17 yo I'm chaperoning, to get into a physical staring contest on my watch? I wouldn't be invited back to chaperone again, that's for sure!

And don't even get me going on their telling the kids to sing the school fight song! :doh

Even if we ignore the ethical and public relations concerns, these chaperones put these kids at risk for their personal safety. And that should be priority #1.

I'm 100% unequivocally sure this school will be drawing-up social-interaction and safety policy guidelines, and instituting them throughout their organization. It sounds like they are either long overdue, or were ignored by those in charge.

now see to me this is the whole problem with the way leftists think. The kid doesn't owe deference to anyone by default. it's not up to him to "get out of the way" when he is standing waiting and it isn't him invading other peoples space. "staring down " also known as " looking at "someone isn't a crime either and smiling surely isn't.

he owes a modicum of respect to others yes, but in no way did he cross any line. if others do not reciprocate his respect then he doesn't even owe them that, no matter who they are.
I can't speak to what "leftists" "think", but I can tell you what general values are promulgated by Catholic Schools. In fact, I just did in that post.

But as to the bigger picture of MAGA and society at large, which is the overarching conflict here, the line of defense "we can act like a-holes because it's not illegal" - isn't cutting it any more.

This is one of the dangers with zealot reactions generating false stories or misrepresentations of alleged racism, sexism, etc..

It start's with "fake news" followed by, or founded on "twitterstorms" designed to scapegoat a target. This creates the proper levels of mass "anger" and "outrage" leading to "righteous action" against said target.

It is one of the things I fear most about our "information age" society, dependent on "Likes" and "Dislikes" to determine what is right and wrong; never realizing they can thereby be led by the nose like any old-school lynch mob.

The ONLY thing this event has proven is that, like most of America, video clips are lies. Never trust a viral video.

It has been my experience, beginning as a reporter that most such incidents are wrongfully interpreted at the outside and with instant social media, anyone can add their own spin and do.

And it shows exactly how much the country is wired to hate. Instant hate.

I have parsed videos since the early 70's and believe me, they are NOT always a convincing argument,

Here, I see no saints, only blame. Everyone deserves some attention.

They did not have to promote Trump, the chopping motions may be a school cheer but to Koootenay, Blackfoot and others it is a death gesture saying "I will kill you"

So amid all that clash of culture in roll the idiots and claim "see, we were right all along...those (insert hated type here) started it...quoting exactly Donald Trump during one of the debates.

It's hate people, you're being fed it on a platter every hour

Yes. Catholic schools are strict, and were even more strict when I attended. And there is constant introspection and examination of one's values and performance, particularly in terms of ethics & morals.

This examination is done personally and spiritually through personal prayer and the sacrament of reconciliation (confession), but also extensively in a group environment in the classroom during theology and other classes. In fact, this ethical & moral inspection and debate often permeates other non-theological and non-ethics based classes.

Catholic Schools actively promote that as a student & Catholic you're expected to perform in all areas - but especially areas involving ethics & morals - at higher levels than base society. Being "legal" is not good enough. One needs to be "right", and to do the "right thing", regardless of society and its legal or other standards.

Obviously Catholic education had a lasting influence on me, since I feel strongly about these ideals until today. Strongly enough, that I wanted the same instilled in my kids.

Anyway, I hope I've provided some insight.

I agree, I did K-12 Catholic school, it was strict. Now my high school wasn't as strict as the Jesuit High School, but that was just for really rich kids. I think the tragedy of Catholic school today is that it is mostly made up of wealthy families, whereas when I was there, it was a good mix of middle class and blue collar families, and we had a fairly high Hispanic population (I live in Phoenix). It got less strict as I got older, as there were less and less nuns and priests, but, I don't miss the nuns, they tended to attract some really sadistic people into service. We had a great priest in High School, he was a Green Beret in Korea and Vietnam, while still being a priest, but he was the nicest guy. He got terribly embarrassed having to teach us sex ed though!

Moderator's Warning:
Cut the personal sideswipes and remarks folks. Stick to the topic and JUST the topic. If you can't then you will be booted from the thread with possible infractions added on.

Certainties in life - death, taxes, and partisan inspired stupidities.

Back
Top Bottom