• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:104:1192]Iran state TV: Tehran fires at Iraqi base housing US troops

Re: [W:104]Iran state TV: Tehran fires at Iraqi base housing US troops

Well, it is starting to look like Iran's leadership fired off missiles into the sand to appease the citizenry. So hopefully Trump cools his jets, and it all ends here.
If so, that’s why they used ballistic missiles, because they are highly accurate.

The agreement was lousy. It wasn't even a signed treaty.
And let's move on from that. Many presidents have abandoned agreements from a previous admin.

I stand by what I wrote above. Iran has clearly acted as the provocateur. They poked the bear when they decided to attack our embassy and kill an American citizen... Stop pretending that you don't know the facts.

eta:
Friday, Dec. 27: Attack near Kirkuk
Militia group Kataib Hezbollah attacks the K1 military base near the Iraqi city of Kirkuk with rockets, killing an American contractor and wounding several American and Iraqi personnel. Kataib Hezbollah has ties to Iran. It has denied orchestrating the attack.

Timeline Of Trump Airstrike On Iran General Soleimani : NPR

Says who? You and Trump? Every signed onto the agreement and every international monitoring organization said it was working just fine. Maybe other agreements have been abandoned in the past by others but I don't know of any as consequential as this. And it's not like anyone hadn't warned that withdrawal would prove to consequential and indeed it has.Also do you have any idea how many embassy 'attacks' there have been? Here's a list for you.

List of attacks on diplomatic missions - Wikipedia

Now did any of those end up with the offended party subsequently committing an act of war in response? Did any result in the offended nation taking military action on the sovereign territory of the host nation without their approval or prior notification? And really are we willing to go to war over the death of a single "contractor"? Which is really just a more palpable word for a mercenary soldier.

Last edited:

The United States contrived a situation to force a war that didn't have to happen.

They were shooting at us. We didn't contrive that **** - they chose to engage in violence.

I truly hope that’s the case. Still nothing official yet though in terms of casualty reports.

If a U.S. troop is killed, Trump's going to send ordnance into Iran and make those bastards choke on it. We all know that.

To project our superiority. That's why. Remind Iran that were the big dog. Tonights halfassed attack proves they don't want a taste of this. We need to exploit their fear and use it to control them.

Tonight’s events proves there’s no taste to be had. They called Trump’s bluff, crossed the red line again, and confirmed it to be an idle threat.

Yep solemaini and the Iranian government has no responsibility for the hundreds of US citizens they killed. None what so ever.

Do you even hear the crap you say or has TDS completly ruined your ability to think rationally.

Soleimani armed Shia militias in the region as a counterweight to the Sunni insurgency groups armed by the Saudi's and the Americans back, way before Trump's time in office. That seems to be the bulk of the accusations, correct? You do know that arming Sunni insurgency groups tends to make Shia nervous?

I'm seriously hoping that we don't have casualties and that it doesn't go into further escalation.

I hope we don't send any troops on the ground, airstrikes is just as good.

The correct response to this, given the lack of American casualties, is "nothing at all."

We don't even acknowledge that it happened. Just GRIN into the camera and waggle your eyebrows. Dude can sleep with one eye open for the next few weeks.

After hearing from several sources on the ground in Tehran that Iraq has claimed it's retaliation is over...unless the U.S. retaliates the retaliation, I'm hoping that's exactly what happens. We do nothing, and this all kinda blows away.

But Trump... he always wants the last word, the last tweet, the last explosion. I hope someone hides his phone until his fuzzy brain forgets this ever happened.

The Iraq War was 2003. Are you really suggesting that Trump decided to kill Soleimani last week for what he did in 2003?

You think the Iraq war ended in 2013. And if you think the US military hasn't been interested in targeting him for a long time you are clueless.

People don't usually forget someone who took part in killing hundreds of your brothers and sisters.

Because he directed terrorist attacks.

Just because some on the left want to pretend he wasn't so they can blame Trump for killing him doesn't mean it's not true.

I've never heard of him before this.

Well, looks like maybe we can all sleep easy tonight, hopefully to wake-up to intact 401Ks.

So other than an unknown defense official claiming little to no casualties there is still no real known on the result of the missiles. However the advosor to the iranian presiden and the head of communications in iran both said any retalliation by the us will be an all out war.

At this point this means any decision trump makes will be a difficult one, going to direct war with iran knowing they use attrition and urban combat combined with their terrain to make any invasion or direct war bloody and costly, ehilr not doing such might make the us govt look weak.

At this point it looks like iran is baiting us to either come to direct negotiations or face a war worse than vietnam. I think they are hoping for negotiations, as even if iran wins their costs will be high, if america wins the cost will be high, and losing everything in a gamble is not much of a win just because you lost less than the other guy.

Well, looks like maybe we can all sleep easy tonight, hopefully to wake-up to intact 401Ks.

If you had money in oil futures, you wouldn't need that 401K. First thing I did was look at the market.

No, I don't have money in oil futures, either.

Tonight’s events proves there’s no taste to be had. They called Trump’s bluff, crossed the red line again, and confirmed it to be an idle threat.

We scored a kill. They didn't, intentionally. All they did was put on a show for their people.

Out here in the real world, they got bitch slapped with a pork rib.

You got it!

Please do some research so you don't look so clueless. And so should the posters who liked this ignorant post.

You could do that but he didn't start it.
The Iranian militias did by attacking a U.S. embassy, days before we took out Iranian's most beloved terrorist.

I wish some would stop leaving out the details.

Leaving out details: details like English and American attempts to take over Iranian oil starting in the 1920's. The interference in Iranian government, politics, secret coup d'erat, the over throw of Mosaddegh by the CIA. The installations of the Shah by the CIA American control of Iranian oil to the financial disadvantage of Iran. The protections of the Shah and his SAVAK police and torture of citizens. Bush's declaration of Axis of Evil and economic sanctions, harassment of shipping through the Straights of Hormuz. Trumps reneging on the Iran Nuclear Treaty and stream of insults. You mean little details like that?.

After hearing from several sources on the ground in Tehran that Iraq has claimed it's retaliation is over...unless the U.S. retaliates the retaliation, I'm hoping that's exactly what happens. We do nothing, and this all kinda blows away.

But Trump... he always wants the last word, the last tweet, the last explosion. I hope someone hides his phone until his fuzzy brain forgets this ever happened.

His tweet tonight was "all is well."

Here's the plan. Get some americans killed, claimed we were attacked, boost of nationalist fervor and approval ratings, ignore impeachment and try to won re election.

The timing is so... weird.

You do understand that you making things up is not proof of anything right?

They were shooting at us. We didn't contrive that **** - they chose to engage in violence.

The United States engineered a response from Iran. Trump violated the nuclear agreement and then sanctioned Iran for no reason, including the blocking of medicine from entering Iran. The American national security state knowingly put American lives in danger, hoping that they would be killed so that they could start a war with a country where diplomacy was working.

Please do some research so you don't look so clueless. And so should the posters who liked this ignorant post.

Good news here is Trump had the sense to STFU tonight. But, before all is said and done, he will be the most hated man in the country regardless.

In wars, there are always contingency plans.

So you think the military doesn't have those. And any reason you are unable to answer my second question.

I've never heard of him before this.

I"m not positive that is a great selling point for your argument.

Back
Top Bottom