• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US in energy landmark as renewables produce more electricity than coal

[h=2]Climate Scam Collapse Continues[/h][FONT="]Posted on [URL="https://realclimatescience.com/2019/07/climate-scam-collapse-continues/"]July 11, 2019[/URL] by tonyheller[/FONT]
China’s solar industry had been dependent on the US Government transferring US taxpayer money to China via solar panel subsidies, but apparently that isn’t working any more.
Meanwhile, they are building hundreds of new coal fired power plants, in a “dramatic step to fight climate change” – as NPR describes it.

I think Solar power can stand on it's own, if a viable storage methodology is used.
We have to fix the problem of net metering first, and then they need to adjust the marketing of home solar power.
With today's prices, solar has merit on it's own, but the current laws generate pushback from the utilities.

[h=2]Climate Scam Collapse Continues[/h][FONT="]Posted on [URL="https://realclimatescience.com/2019/07/climate-scam-collapse-continues/"]July 11, 2019[/URL] by tonyheller[/FONT]
China’s solar industry had been dependent on the US Government transferring US taxpayer money to China via solar panel subsidies, but apparently that isn’t working any more.

Meanwhile, they are building hundreds of new coal fired power plants, in a “dramatic step to fight climate change” – as NPR describes it.

The cost of renewable energy and energy storage countinue to drop so you can get a lot more renewable energy for the same amount of investment.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/this-is-how-much-renewable-energy-prices-have-fallen/

Also as Media Truth mention in another thread China have exceeded their 2020 goal for solar power.

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2017/08/25/china-raises-solar-power-target/

Also it may be possible to stop many of the coal plants that China plan to help to build in other countries. Like for example plans for building a Chinese backed plant in Kenya have been stopped for now. There it was both China and the US goverment that promoted the building of the coal plant.

'The US ambassador to Kenya, Kyle McCarter, has been widely criticised by activists for wading into the debate to argue that coal is environmentally sound, that the plant would boost the country’s economy and that a critical analysis of the project by a US thinktank amounted to the work of “highly paid protesters”.'

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...oal-plant-construction-paused-climate-victory

The cost of renewable energy and energy storage countinue to drop so you can get a lot more renewable energy for the same amount of investment.

Renewable energy prices have fallen - this is how much | World Economic Forum

Also as Media Truth mention in another thread China have exceeded their 2020 goal for solar power.

China has already surpassed its 2020 solar target - Unearthed

Also it may be possible to stop many of the coal plants that China plan to help to build in other countries. Like for example plans for building a Chinese backed plant in Kenya have been stopped for now. There it was both China and the US goverment that promoted the building of the coal plant.

'The US ambassador to Kenya, Kyle McCarter, has been widely criticised by activists for wading into the debate to argue that coal is environmentally sound, that the plant would boost the country’s economy and that a critical analysis of the project by a US thinktank amounted to the work of “highly paid protesters”.'

Kenya's first coal plant construction paused in climate victory | Global development | The Guardian

The coal power plant would be good for Kenya.,

The coal power plant would be good for Kenya.,

Interesting that the Trumpists find it appropo to try to interfere in Kenya's politics. From the link --->

Activists say the plant could trigger breathing problems for locals and acid rain as well as increase Kenya’s total greenhouse gas emissions by 700%. The plans lie in contrast to Kenya’s existing commitment to fighting the climate emergency, including generating two-thirds of its electricity by renewable sources and reducing its carbon footprint by a third by 2030.
“Coal is the cleanest, least costly option,” the Trump-appointed former Republican senator in Illinois wrote on Twitter, ahead of the ruling on the 26 June. He also cited his experience with coal in his home state as evidence that fossil fuel would work well in Kenya.
“What interest does the US have in the coal-fired project?” Mwenda said in a statement. “How will the economy grow if the Kenyan taxpayer is going to be subjected to hugely unsustainable debts, even before we can start producing power?”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Isaiah10:1-3 --- "Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees to deprive the poor of their rights and rob my oppressed people of justice."

You didn't actually read beyond the first few lines did you? :lamo

"For the last five years the old lattice towers built by Vestes are being decommissioned dismantled and recycled as they reach the end of a very productive life cycle, over thirty five years. modern wind turbines pay for them self in approximately 5 to 7 years, with an average life span average life span 35 years. many times at that point owners will opt to upgrade to a new generating platform making use of the original tower extending the usable life of the tower by another thirty years."

Not to eagles, and other large endangered birds.

An eagle will eat a cat.

Eagles are no longer endangered thanks to very many regulations that Nixon put into place and Republicans have been fighting ever since.

**** they are trying to bring back DDT!!!

Yes eagles kill cats, witch is great as cats are invasive species and kill far more song birds than any other known threat other than maybe tall glass buildings...

Yes, it is. Plus, we already have older ones left to rot.

I have said before, wind is not viable in most places. It will die, and the structures left to rot.

Even without considering their limited life in the grand design, they are still too expensive to compete with other power that can deliver 24/7/365 electricity. I don't expect battery storage to be viable for some time to come still.

Battery storage is growing at the same rate that computer, memory, and technology has grown, it is coming fast...

Interesting that the Trumpists find it appropo to try to interfere in Kenya's politics. From the link --->

Activists say the plant could trigger breathing problems for locals and acid rain as well as increase Kenya’s total greenhouse gas emissions by 700%. The plans lie in contrast to Kenya’s existing commitment to fighting the climate emergency, including generating two-thirds of its electricity by renewable sources and reducing its carbon footprint by a third by 2030.
“Coal is the cleanest, least costly option,” the Trump-appointed former Republican senator in Illinois wrote on Twitter, ahead of the ruling on the 26 June. He also cited his experience with coal in his home state as evidence that fossil fuel would work well in Kenya.
“What interest does the US have in the coal-fired project?” Mwenda said in a statement. “How will the economy grow if the Kenyan taxpayer is going to be subjected to hugely unsustainable debts, even before we can start producing power?”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Isaiah10:1-3 --- "Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees to deprive the poor of their rights and rob my oppressed people of justice."

Our aid and development programs "interfere" all the time.
I've spent a lot of time in Kenya and other African countries. The "activists" concerns are laughable in that context.

Eagles are no longer endangered thanks to very many regulations that Nixon put into place and Republicans have been fighting ever since.

Yes eagles kill cats, witch is great as cats are invasive species and kill far more song birds than any other known threat other than maybe tall glass buildings...

Don't worry, in some urban areas where wolves, bears and mountain lions have been nearly eradicated the lowly coyote is now the apex predator, and they think loose house cats are very tasty, along with the occasional poodle.

About 100,000 birds in the Germany are killed by rotor blades each year.
But to put this figure into perspective: Environmental organisation Friends of the Earth Germany says that about 18 million birds in Germany die every year by crashing into windows.

Additionally, some studies are suggesting the possibility that some birds might be learning to avoid wind turbines.

Maybe we should build the wall out of tires?

Or better yet roads that fricken actually last. We had that knowledge for years. Just lay the tires down on the partial roadbed tied together and finish the roadbed by filling and then covering the tires with the bed stone. Roads get potholes because rain water and moisture gets under the concrete and asphalt and causes the stones to displace eventually. The tires hold the stones together, helps alleviate that problem.

Is DDT really that bad when properly used?

Regulate the hell out of it, but allow it.

Battery storage is growing at the same rate that computer, memory, and technology has grown, it is coming fast...

You haven't the faintest clue what you are talking about.

Moore's Law

I was spent several years in engineering when CMP (Chemical Mechanical Planarization) revolutionized the semiconductor industry in the 90's. We were doing "rapid research and development."

I would love to see battery storage, and other aspects of green energy ramp up in capacity that fast.

Sorry.... It doesn't...

Now the alarmists here think I don't have a clue about the climate sciences, but trust me. So much knowledge between fields is compatible. It makes it really easy to comprehend by just a little application of one's time.

When I moved on to different jobs, and surpassed the people training me... When they were baffled at how fast I picked things up, I simple told them... "I did all this before. It was just put together a little differently."

Last edited:
Our aid and development programs "interfere" all the time.
I've spent a lot of time in Kenya and other African countries. The "activists" concerns are laughable in that context.

So, despite the rhetoric, Trump is allowing the coal industry to die in the US, but he is giving aid to the coal industry of Kenya? Sounds logical:roll:

So, despite the rhetoric, Trump is allowing the coal industry to die in the US, but he is giving aid to the coal industry of Kenya? Sounds logical:roll:

He is allowing it to die naturally, instead of assisted suicide.

Coal power anywhere supports the coal industry everywhere.

Coal power anywhere supports the coal industry everywhere.

Keep telling yourself that as U.S. coal companies continue to wither away. It appears that Republicans do like subsidies, except to other countries.

Keep telling yourself that as U.S. coal companies continue to wither away. It appears that Republicans do like subsidies, except to other countries.

That's politics of a different nature. We often try to help other countries to have them as allies instead of enemies. Now I don't like the idea of coal if better options are available, but maybe they aren't. Maybe other options are not viable for the countries wanting to use coal.

You have championed China for building less coal plants than planned for, but as rich as they are now, why aren't you complaining that they shouldn't build any coal?

Hypocritical, you are!

While at the same time their could be great benefit for developing countries to invest in renewable, there renewable also already startiing to outcompete fossil fuels.

Pardon Our Interruption

India Coal Power Is About To Crash: 65% Of Existing Coal Costs More Than New Wind And Solar

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[h=1]“New Solar + Battery Price Crushes Fossil Fuels, Buries Nuclear” Until You Do the Math[/h][FONT=&quot]Guest Excelling by David Middleton Jul 1, 2019, 12:03amNew Solar + Battery Price Crushes Fossil Fuels, Buries Nuclear Jeff McMahon ContributorGreen TechFrom Chicago, I write about climate change, green technology, energy. Los Angeles Power and Water officials have struck a deal on the largest and cheapest solar + battery-storage project in the world, at prices…
Continue reading →
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom