• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Update to windows 10?

...But the campaign against Microsoft and Windows 10 is already being waged by the usual suspects...

Those usual suspects are called users, or customers. Most businesses try and give the customer what they want. Microsoft with Windows 8 tried to give customers what Microsoft wanted, and then you told people they where wrong for wanting Windows to work comfortably.

Is anyone else getting these annoying MS pop-ups in their system tray? I run 7 Ultimate and I’m fine with it. If I did update I don’t think its reversible and so I’d have to do a clean re-install with all the hassle that involves . . . Has anyone updated and in what respect is it better than 7 or 8?

I have Windows update turned off so I googled and went to MS site. It says you have to have Win7sp1 AND the Win8.1 updates, so apparently if you're still on Win7 and didn't pay for the Win8 upgrade you cannot get Win 10..??? Do you or anyone know otherwise, are they misusing the term 'and"? I'm still on Win7, so it looks like I'll have to stay put or pay for and temporarily upgrade to Win8.

Our lawyers made us say this:
Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. Security and features are kept automatically up-to-date which is always enabled.

Since I didn't find the FAQ I was curious about, I went to their forums to find out if one could roll back to their Win7 or Win8 if they don't like Win10 or it doesn't jive with some hardware/driver aspect of your computer, ... and it appears the answer is no. Also reading through some other forum posts it appears that Win10 will tell you all hardware will/is working fine when it clearly isn't... could be an issue depending on the age of your computer.
Upgrading Windows From Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit to Windows 10 - Microsoft Community
Andre Da Costa replied on

MVP Community Moderator Wiki Author MCC: Content Creator MCC: Content Curator Conversationalist Most Recommended Discussion Wiki Master

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from an OEM base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry this type of licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

This will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous based qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license.
Best regards,
Andre
techingiteasy.wordpress.com
Windows Expert - Consumer

Found this helpful
Andrew Daugherty 0 replied on

When you state the license is consumed into it, I assume that means I can no longer can install Windows 7 onto my hard drive or another hard drive with this motherboard which has the OEM version of Windows (ASROCK B85 Anniversary) and I am forced to use Windows 10. Is this what you mean by consume? A simple yes or no will do.

Andre Da Costa
Found this helpful
Answer
Andre Da Costa replied on

MVP Community Moderator Wiki Author MCC: Content Creator MCC: Content Curator Conversationalist Most Recommended Discussion Wiki Master

When you state the license is consumed into it, I assume that means I can no longer can install Windows 7 onto my hard drive or another hard drive with this motherboard which has the OEM version of Windows (ASROCK B85 Anniversary) and I am forced to use Windows 10. Is this what you mean by consume? A simple yes or no will do.

Yes
Best regards,
Andre
techingiteasy.wordpress.com
Windows Expert - Consumer

Last edited:
Those usual suspects are called users, or customers. Most businesses try and give the customer what they want. Microsoft with Windows 8 tried to give customers what Microsoft wanted, and then you told people they where wrong for wanting Windows to work comfortably.

No, the usual suspects are the very vocal very small minority consumers and the paid journalists. When Windows 8 came out there was a campaign against the product by certain websites and journalists. The classic was a reporter on CNET that claimed that there was no search function in Windows 8 and the file system was a mess...

When a button that used to be there is not, and when the way the button worked is no longer there, and instead you have to do things in a different way, saying it was never gone is pretty ****ing stupid.

It was never gone. The physical "button" yes, in Windows 8.. it is back in Windows 8.1, but the functions it had was never gone. Taking the mouse to the lower left corner and click would give the exact same functions as in Windows 7.

It was never gone. The physical "button" yes, in Windows 8.. it is back in Windows 8.1, but the functions it had was never gone. Taking the mouse to the lower left corner and click would give the exact same functions as in Windows 7.

Bull****. There is no handy, easy to scroll through, compact and useful start menu. It is gone. Your problem, other than trying to sell a product to people who know better, is that you assume that if it is how you like it, that means it is how every one will like it. Some of us use mice though, and for that, the start menu pre Windows 8 was vastly superior.

Still can't just can't admit that ordinary users hated Windows 8 huh?

Based on what? "Ordinary users" use limited things on a PC and always have. They dont use the start button at all, and yet the nr. 1 complaint has been the lack of a physical start button and when that came back, then the "it does not look like Windows 7" or "it is too big a start menu" or "I cant find anything on my screen". How do I know this? Because I service "ordinary" users and when I ask them to press the Start Button, they often ask.. whats the start button? My clients spread from the late 30s to early 80s, but they are all similar users.. non professionals that use their computer for surfing, sending emails and similar things.

So why all the complaints and where do they come from? Most come from journalists on websites and media that are sitting on the Macs and writing crap about Windows and non Apple brands. This spreads to those that read the articles and are not that critical of what they read and question the motives of the reviewer. And that is the problem these days.. bias in the media against and for certain tech companies and operating systems.

I know I keep going on about the Apple bias, but it does exist and it influences peoples opinions based on the biased journalists reviews.

For example with Windows 10, Microsoft has had to come out and explain over and over again on social media this "free for one year" and the pricing. Some biased journalists then jumped on it by claiming that it was not free for all in headlines.. which is true, but 99% of those running Windows 7 and 8 it is free. But they went with the headline "not free for all"..? And then they complained over the 130 dollars Windows costs after the first year of free upgrades, while mentioning that Apple gives away its OS for free but failing to mention that you need to buy a 1000 dollar computer to get it "free".

So yes, I question the whole "ordinary users" hated Windows 8 stuff.

But Windows 10 "fixes" most complaints by the so called ordinary users so Windows 10 should be a massive hit... even the biased media are having a hard time finding negative stuff to write about Windows 10, which is funny to watch.. they are trying though.

Bull****. There is no handy, easy to scroll through, compact and useful start menu. It is gone.

That is not what you said. You said the start menu was gone.. it was not, it has always been there. It is easy to scroll through if you have to scroll, and it is FAR more useful than the Windows 7 start menu. The only thing it is not, is compact. Guess that is what you are complaining about then? Well then you gonna hate Windows 10 cause while much much smaller it is not as compact as Windows 7 menu.. at least as default. However you can make it even more compact than Windows 7 menu if you want. Oh yea, there is choice!

Your problem, other than trying to sell a product to people who know better, is that you assume that if it is how you like it, that means it is how every one will like it. Some of us use mice though, and for that, the start menu pre Windows 8 was vastly superior.

My problem? I dont use the Start menu other than to search for stuff. For me the start menu has not been relevant since early Windows XP. For the ordinary user, the start menu has been irrelevant since they figured out how to make shortcuts on the desktop. That is why Microsoft changed it!

And saying that the pre Windows 8 start menu is vastly superior is beyond funny. The pre Windows 8 start menu can not be easily customized and going through pop out window after pop out window to find stuff is a waste of time. Take finding Microsoft Word... conditions it is not pinned anywhere.

In windows 7 you have 2 methods.. people dont use method 1 much.

1) Press start, press search box (if there) and write Word. Press word to run it.
2) Press start, press all programs, scroll to find Microsoft Office, expand by clicking, press Word.

In Windows 8 you also have 2 methods.

1) Press start, press wor and then press Word to run it.
2) Press start, press arrow for all programs, scroll over to Office and press word.

No matter how you slice it, it is easier to do in the Windows 8 start menu than in Windows 7. Of course most people have Word hotkey on the desktop or the launch bar, so they never go into the start menu.

Based on what? "Ordinary users" use limited things on a PC and always have. They dont use the start button at all, and yet the nr. 1 complaint has been the lack of a physical start button and when that came back, then the "it does not look like Windows 7" or "it is too big a start menu" or "I cant find anything on my screen". How do I know this? Because I service "ordinary" users and when I ask them to press the Start Button, they often ask.. whats the start button? My clients spread from the late 30s to early 80s, but they are all similar users.. non professionals that use their computer for surfing, sending emails and similar things.

So why all the complaints and where do they come from? Most come from journalists on websites and media that are sitting on the Macs and writing crap about Windows and non Apple brands. This spreads to those that read the articles and are not that critical of what they read and question the motives of the reviewer. And that is the problem these days.. bias in the media against and for certain tech companies and operating systems.

I know I keep going on about the Apple bias, but it does exist and it influences peoples opinions based on the biased journalists reviews.

For example with Windows 10, Microsoft has had to come out and explain over and over again on social media this "free for one year" and the pricing. Some biased journalists then jumped on it by claiming that it was not free for all in headlines.. which is true, but 99% of those running Windows 7 and 8 it is free. But they went with the headline "not free for all"..? And then they complained over the 130 dollars Windows costs after the first year of free upgrades, while mentioning that Apple gives away its OS for free but failing to mention that you need to buy a 1000 dollar computer to get it "free".

So yes, I question the whole "ordinary users" hated Windows 8 stuff.

But Windows 10 "fixes" most complaints by the so called ordinary users so Windows 10 should be a massive hit... even the biased media are having a hard time finding negative stuff to write about Windows 10, which is funny to watch.. they are trying though.
So it isn't really free at all then. If you can't roll back after a year to an earlier Windows7 or 8 and at the end of the year you have to pay for upgrades, and I have no doubt some serious upgrades will be withheld til the year is up..... bogus, bs.

So it isn't really free at all then.

Yes it is.

If you can't roll back after a year to an earlier Windows7 or 8 and at the end of the year you have to pay for upgrades, and I have no doubt some serious upgrades will be withheld til the year is up..... bogus, bs.

Eh? Not following you there. After the first year of free upgrade of existing Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 installation, you will have to pay for the upgrade. What is wrong with that?

Based on what? "Ordinary users" use limited things on a PC and always have. They dont use the start button at all, and yet the nr. 1 complaint has been the lack of a physical start button

You honestly think most ordinary home users of Windows 7 knew about pinning software shortcuts to the task bar or that they honestly knew to press the Windows key and a numeric pad to get software started from the taskbar by priority?

I suppose it's easier to continue blaming the great white "Apple boogieman..."

You honestly think most ordinary home users of Windows 7 knew about pinning software shortcuts to the task bar or that they honestly knew to press the Windows key and a numeric pad to get software started from the taskbar by priority?

Knew? No, but they got someone to do it or learned it because most home users have hotlinks on the desktop to start their stuff up. They do NOT go into the start menu.

Plus hotkeys in Windows are not used by ordinary home users for the most part. Most dont even know about Ctrl A, C or V, which are basic tools.

Knew? No, but they got someone to do it or learned it because most home users have hotlinks on the desktop to start their stuff up. They do NOT go into the start menu.

Plus hotkeys in Windows are not used by ordinary home users for the most part. Most dont even know about Ctrl A, C or V, which are basic tools.

Exactly, what you're simply talking about are shortcuts - either software shortcuts or keyboard shortcuts. You keep blaming apple for somehow convincing PC users not to love Windows 8 but more realistically, Windows 8 was too radical a step forward for most ordinary users who couldn't even see their desktop under the Metro interface to begin with.

Yet somehow that is all the fault of the small minority of buyers who own an Apple desktop....

Exactly, what you're simply talking about are shortcuts - either software shortcuts or keyboard shortcuts. You keep blaming apple for somehow convincing PC users not to love Windows 8 but more realistically, Windows 8 was too radical a step forward for most ordinary users who couldn't even see their desktop under the Metro interface to begin with.

But you cant see the desktop under the start menu either... so that excuse beyond idiotic. Plus press one button and there is the desktop again. In fact I dont use the metro interface at all (other than to search for files). With 8.1 you dont have to interact with the metro interface unless you want too.

Yet somehow that is all the fault of the small minority of buyers who own an Apple desktop....

Where did I say that it was all owners of Apple desktops? I said Apple and the Apple friendly media. Most Apple owners are people who have been conned by the company into buy an overpriced status symbol.

Moderator's Warning:
Let's tone down the aggressiveness. I'd hate to have to take moderator action in a thread about Microsoft of all things.

Yes it is. Eh? Not following you there. After the first year of free upgrade of existing Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 installation, you will have to pay for the upgrade. What is wrong with that?
Perhaps I'm conflating updates with upgrades. I misunderstood.... thinking of service packs as upgrades, probably they are updates, not upgrades, right?

Knew? No, but they got someone to do it or learned it because most home users have hotlinks on the desktop to start their stuff up. They do NOT go into the start menu. Plus hotkeys in Windows are not used by ordinary home users for the most part. Most dont even know about Ctrl A, C or V, which are basic tools.
Then I've never been ordinary because I use mine all the time, always have. Have my favs pinned, my list of recently opened or installed show up, and of course the entire list.... I really do use the start menu, start menu list, I have MyComputer set up to expand, as are my videos, ControlPanel, my jigsaw puzzle program, Word/Works, NotepadPlus, and many more so instead of opening the program I can open the program with the specific doc or video or game already up and running.... I don't know how you can say MOST Win7 users never used the Start Menu or button. If they didn't, they were surely missing out on one of the best parts of the Windows.

On edit: Are you talking about the image at the lower right corner of the screen or the start button on the keyboard or both? I have to admit, I don't use the keyboard button, but I do use the start menu icon with the mouse very extensively.

I'm getting it, I hate windows 8, and use 7. My copy of 7 is the first time I've legitimately owned a version of windows, I build my own computers. I want DX12, ability to play Xbox games, and the beloved start key.

Is anyone else getting these annoying MS pop-ups in their system tray? I run 7 Ultimate and I’m fine with it. If I did update I don’t think its reversible and so I’d have to do a clean re-install with all the hassle that involves . . . Has anyone updated and in what respect is it better than 7 or 8?

Anything is better than Windows 8. I hate Windows 8...

Classing myself as ‘average user’, I’m sticking to my tried and tested 7 Ultimate until I’m dragged over burning coals and forced to submit. Being Microsoft, I’m sceptical about anything ‘free’ landing in my system tray and instinctively assume a catch later on. I’m in the camp of, why would someone spend millions on developing an OS to give it away and it does sound rather like a trial offer that you can’t reverse without a reinstall.

The main thing that probably we should all remember is that the deal is for downloads through June 2016, so we can wait a bit a see if people like it better than 7 for us 7ers and 8 for those that got caught with the last upgrade.

As with Win8 which I could've gotten for free because me OEM laptop was one of the last 7s sold and the upgrade was free but also somewhat new, I waited a bit, and glad I did. This Win10 free upgrade isn't such a short window (pun intended) that any of us need to decide before we have more facts and more user reviews.

I haven't seen any pop-ups for it. Where do I sign up?

You should have a little windows icon on your tool bar, right hand side.

Click it, and reserve it, it will most likely download over many days.

I haven't seen any pop-ups for it. Where do I sign up?

Is your Windows Update turned off? Apparently that's how it's showing up. Otherwise....

I've put a couple of links above that go directly to the Windows 10 site.

Back
Top Bottom