• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Update to windows 10?

John V

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Is anyone else getting these annoying MS pop-ups in their system tray? I run 7 Ultimate and I’m fine with it. If I did update I don’t think its reversible and so I’d have to do a clean re-install with all the hassle that involves . . . Has anyone updated and in what respect is it better than 7 or 8?

Is anyone else getting these annoying MS pop-ups in their system tray? I run 7 Ultimate and I’m fine with it. If I did update I don’t think its reversible and so I’d have to do a clean re-install with all the hassle that involves . . . Has anyone updated and in what respect is it better than 7 or 8?

I went ahead and signed up for the free upgrade. There is no way I can hate it more than Windows 8, and it is free. Our Microsoft sales-bots will be along shortly to explain why you are an ignorant mouthbreather for not having immediately upgraded to 8 and now 10, but just ignore them. Do realize though that at some point you just about have to upgrade, so might as well get it done while it is free. They have semi-fixed the Start button/menu so it is at least usable again, and it is a whole ****ton faster.

I didn't know it was out yet.

I went ahead and signed up for the free upgrade. There is no way I can hate it more than Windows 8, and it is free. Our Microsoft sales-bots will be along shortly to explain why you are an ignorant mouthbreather for not having immediately upgraded to 8 and now 10, but just ignore them. Do realize though that at some point you just about have to upgrade, so might as well get it done while it is free. They have semi-fixed the Start button/menu so it is at least usable again, and it is a whole ****ton faster.

I’m a bit of a luddite in that respect; ‘if it ain’t broken don’t try to fix it’.
It’s my little laptops’ fifth birthday soon and it started life as a Thailand XP but I insisted it grow up into 7; I insisted we communicate in English, we’ve travelled the world together, fallen out on occasion and I’ve had to indoctrinate it with a re-install, even stuck its tongue out at me once with a blue screen . . . but I love it nonetheless, warts and all. We’re both getting as senile as each other, but as long as it doesn’t get Bolshie and start to go on strike with crashes, I think I’ll let it head for retirement gracefully the way it is. :)

Is anyone else getting these annoying MS pop-ups in their system tray?

It is not a popup. It is an icon. Hardly annoying.

I run 7 Ultimate and I’m fine with it. If I did update I don’t think its reversible and so I’d have to do a clean re-install with all the hassle that involves . . . Has anyone updated and in what respect is it better than 7 or 8?

Windows 10 is not out yet, so no. But Windows 10 is a step forward..

If you've reserved the free upgrade to Win 10, MS will d/l the new OS to your hard drive on or after July 29. You will be notified by email of the d/l and can then install whenever you wish.

I’m a bit of a luddite in that respect; ‘if it ain’t broken don’t try to fix it’.
It’s my little laptops’ fifth birthday soon and it started life as a Thailand XP but I insisted it grow up into 7; I insisted we communicate in English, we’ve travelled the world together, fallen out on occasion and I’ve had to indoctrinate it with a re-install, even stuck its tongue out at me once with a blue screen . . . but I love it nonetheless, warts and all. We’re both getting as senile as each other, but as long as it doesn’t get Bolshie and start to go on strike with crashes, I think I’ll let it head for retirement gracefully the way it is. :)

I too am a Luddite, and I grieved at the loss of XP at home. I've been very happy with 7, but I really do have to replace my computer soon, and I'm going to lose it too. :(

I too am a Luddite, and I grieved at the loss of XP at home. I've been very happy with 7, but I really do have to replace my computer soon, and I'm going to lose it too. :(

First the loss of XP and then Obama . . . it can’t get any worse :lol:
It takes me a while to get comfortable with all this stuff; I’ve even kept my old battered Nokia 6300 mobile. I’ll wait till the last minute before I change, but that’s progress :)

The free upgrade is a limited time offer. And it is an upgrade, not a full install. So essentially you will upgrade to Windows 10, everything is fine, your computer starts to have issues either based off of software and hardware, so you have to re-install your native OS and then.....

Wait...

You have to pay for Windows 10.

Why are they making it free?

Because they know there is no real incentive to switch to 10, especially if you use Windows 7. Windows XP went to 3 service packs, there is only 1 on 7. Microsoft realized they screwed up 8, not as bad as Vista, but kinda bad. So they released 10 with a start button. But really, there is no need. For example, one of the additions to Windows 10 is a help "bot." They are trying to make the computer talk to you on your search results so you don't have to read.

Windows 7 is Windows XP except it doesn't blue screen. I made a lot of money back in the day with XP breaking. I'm not saying 7 doesn't break, I'm saying it breaks a lot less than XP. If it does break, then I am willing to put money on the fact it was the user's fault, and not the system files just becoming corrupt because they felt like it. Windows 7 is just going to get leaner with the system resources.

The model microsoft is doing, is to maximize money. Because you have to realize, in IT, there are certifications for each OS. Each certification costs money and goes to Microsoft. You buy study materials from Microsoft. You keep buying OS disks that are 150 bucks from Microsoft.

I wish...

I could pay a subscription fee for the security and OS updates for Windows 7 so I can use it for a much longer time. It can run any game. And it is going to take less resources than 10. It's stable. I just don't have the need, even though it is going to be phased out. So I just wish I could give windows like 60-100 dollars a year, they keep the upgrades coming to 7, and I don't have to worry about 10. I'm going to get 10 just so that I have some idea how to troubleshoot in 10 if the option comes up that I go back into IT.

My two cents.

The free upgrade is a limited time offer. And it is an upgrade, not a full install. So essentially you will upgrade to Windows 10, everything is fine, your computer starts to have issues either based off of software and hardware, so you have to re-install your native OS and then.....

Wait...

You have to pay for Windows 10.

Wrong. There will be ISOs you can download or you can create your own. Once you upgrade then you will be able to install Windows 10 on that machine as many times as you want.

Why are they making it free?

It will be free to upgrade from the 29th of July 2015 to the 29th of July 2016. After that you will have to pay to upgrade your old windows.

Because they know there is no real incentive to switch to 10, especially if you use Windows 7. Windows XP went to 3 service packs, there is only 1 on 7. Microsoft realized they screwed up 8, not as bad as Vista, but kinda bad. So they released 10 with a start button. But really, there is no need. For example, one of the additions to Windows 10 is a help "bot." They are trying to make the computer talk to you on your search results so you don't have to read.

What are you talking about. Operating systems have moved toward the free model for years. Apple did it a few years ago, and Microsoft went dirt cheap when it launched Windows 8.. you could upgrade for 30 dollars. Now it will be free to do so. And what "help bot"? Are you talking about Cortana? LOL

Windows 7 is Windows XP except it doesn't blue screen. I made a lot of money back in the day with XP breaking. I'm not saying 7 doesn't break, I'm saying it breaks a lot less than XP. If it does break, then I am willing to put money on the fact it was the user's fault, and not the system files just becoming corrupt because they felt like it. Windows 7 is just going to get leaner with the system resources.

Windows 8.1 and 10 run better than Windows 7.. you would know that if you used them.

I could pay a subscription fee for the security and OS updates for Windows 7 so I can use it for a much longer time. It can run any game. And it is going to take less resources than 10. It's stable. I just don't have the need, even though it is going to be phased out. So I just wish I could give windows like 60-100 dollars a year, they keep the upgrades coming to 7, and I don't have to worry about 10. I'm going to get 10 just so that I have some idea how to troubleshoot in 10 if the option comes up that I go back into IT.

My two cents.

Have you even tried 8.1 or 10?

It is not a popup. It is an icon. Hardly annoying.

Windows 10 is not out yet, so no. But Windows 10 is a step forward..

Are you upgrading?

Have you even tried 8.1 or 10?

I have 8.1 on my lap top. It sucks the big one compared to my win 7.

That said, I will be getting the upgrade to win 10. Microsoft has a habit of every other OS they come out with being complete crap. So win 10 should be alright.

I have 3 laptops and I will upgrade 2 of them - I bought one off ebay and had to wipe the hard disk when I foolishly downloaded a video editor from downloads.com which seemed to open a doorway to virus hell.
My licence key for that machine didn't work when I tried re-registering it so I've been using an "unregistered copy" on that one laptop - microsoft are making the free upgrade available to pirate and non legit owners so it makes sense for me to upgrade.

I have 8.1 on my lap top. It sucks the big one compared to my win 7.

That said, I will be getting the upgrade to win 10. Microsoft has a habit of every other OS they come out with being complete crap. So win 10 should be alright.

Win 10 is more like Win 7 in the way it is setup.. aka it has the start button. It is not exactly the same but close enough. Of course people will moan about it, just as they did when they went from Win 98 to Win Xp and Win XP to Vista/7.

For me there is not the big difference between Win 7 and 8.1 or 10 other than some small refinements and under the hood improvements.

But be warned the whole settings system has been radically revised and will continue to be revised. Almost all basic function are now part of the new settings menu but there still is the "old" control panel for certain things. I suspect that Microsoft would have loved to get rid of the Control Panel but cant because of legacy issues. But saying that, the new Settings area has almost everything you need and it is far better organized than the control panel was/is for the basic stuff.

The Start menu is back to being Windows XP/VISTA/WIN 7 like, just flat design wise and much more customizable. Much easier to remove and add apps/programs and even webpages in the system and more clever (most used list for example) than it use to be... that is for the 5-10% of Windows users that actually use the Start button and menu. Many will also of course complain that it is not exactly the same and bla bla bla.. most of them being journalists employed by Apple most likely.

But the campaign against Microsoft and Windows 10 is already being waged by the usual suspects. Like the miss-information that Windows 10 will be subscription based after the first year. Or that no all Windows 7 and 8 can upgrade for free.. like 98% will get it if they have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1. It is amazing how fast this miss-information spreads and people start complaining.

However the good thing is that most journalists that are not totally Apple fanatics (and even a few of those) are praising Window 10 big time and how Microsoft has been handling beta and consumer requests. There are quite a few consumer requests that have been programmed into the new OS.

Win 10 is more like Win 7 in the way it is setup.. aka it has the start button. It is not exactly the same but close enough. Of course people will moan about it, just as they did when they went from Win 98 to Win Xp and Win XP to Vista/7.

For me there is not the big difference between Win 7 and 8.1 or 10 other than some small refinements and under the hood improvements.

But be warned the whole settings system has been radically revised and will continue to be revised. Almost all basic function are now part of the new settings menu but there still is the "old" control panel for certain things. I suspect that Microsoft would have loved to get rid of the Control Panel but cant because of legacy issues. But saying that, the new Settings area has almost everything you need and it is far better organized than the control panel was/is for the basic stuff.

The Start menu is back to being Windows XP/VISTA/WIN 7 like, just flat design wise and much more customizable. Much easier to remove and add apps/programs and even webpages in the system and more clever (most used list for example) than it use to be... that is for the 5-10% of Windows users that actually use the Start button and menu. Many will also of course complain that it is not exactly the same and bla bla bla.. most of them being journalists employed by Apple most likely.

But the campaign against Microsoft and Windows 10 is already being waged by the usual suspects. Like the miss-information that Windows 10 will be subscription based after the first year. Or that no all Windows 7 and 8 can upgrade for free.. like 98% will get it if they have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1. It is amazing how fast this miss-information spreads and people start complaining.

However the good thing is that most journalists that are not totally Apple fanatics (and even a few of those) are praising Window 10 big time and how Microsoft has been handling beta and consumer requests. There are quite a few consumer requests that have been programmed into the new OS.

The start menu is back? Well good. At least that's a step in the right direction.

Now, if we can revert the stupidity of the Office ribbon menu, the user community would be further ahead, again returning to the more productive and screen space conserving days of previous versions of Office.

The start menu is back? Well good. At least that's a step in the right direction.

It was never gone, so saying it is "back" is a bit much.

Now, if we can revert the stupidity of the Office ribbon menu, the user community would be further ahead, again returning to the more productive and screen space conserving days of previous versions of Office.

That aint gonna happen. Ribbon been around since 2006-7 and if they had wanted to get rid of it, then it would have happened. Personally I think the ribbon menu system is better than the old fashion stuff.. easier to see and much more functional. But yea, I have had this discussion with my 77 year old father who absolutely hates the ribbon system and still insists that I install Office 2003 for him regardless that it does not work fully in Windows 8.

That aint gonna happen. Ribbon been around since 2006-7 and if they had wanted to get rid of it, then it would have happened. Personally I think the ribbon menu system is better than the old fashion stuff.. easier to see and much more functional. But yea, I have had this discussion with my 77 year old father who absolutely hates the ribbon system and still insists that I install Office 2003 for him regardless that it does not work fully in Windows 8.

My bitch about the ribbon is twofold.

First, the conversion from 3:4 ratio screens to the 16:9 ratio wide screens. Yes, I know, driven by a commonization of the HD TV and computer display technologies. So through this, you lose some of the height of the display.

Then, along comes the ribbon, and eats yet more vertical screen real estate, so from what I can see, a bad user interface design choice.

The end result is that the user loses vertical display space twice, leaving a vertically challenged amount of workspace within the application.

~ most of them being journalists employed by Apple most likely ~

~ However the good thing is that most journalists that are not totally Apple fanatics ~

Still can't just can't admit that ordinary users hated Windows 8 huh?

When a button that used to be there is not, and when the way the button worked is no longer there, and instead you have to do things in a different way, saying it was never gone is pretty ****ing stupid.

Back
Top Bottom