• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unionized police?

If that is the case then the choice you have is either a democracy or a tyrannical union oligarchy. Because you can't have both.

Why do you hate freedom?

Tell that to the sanitation worker who picks up your trash, or used to pick up your trash. Publicly employed sanitation workers also vote and pay taxes.

It applies to every public union at every level. Their only purpose is to subvert the will of the people. Public unions are anti-democracy. Even FDR opposed all public unions for that reason.

It is the exact same thing. The exact same thing. It is a conflict of interest you have no problem with.

Fix that first and get back to.me about public unions.

The public has a check on public unions.....the ballot

Except of course that union contracts tend to last for a lot longer than one election cycle. Especially those provisions around pensions and the like.

Corporations are constituents of the politicians they give money to just like you and I. That is fundamentally from the employee - employee relationship that exists between unions and politicians.

We have to agree to disagree here. As far as I’m concerned they aren’t even remotely related. You see it differently. Fair enough.

Last edited:
Come back down to reality for a moment.

There are major differences between private sector unions and public sector unions. Let me know when you are ready to really discuss this.

Unions are required. Period. I disagree there is a difference. There is a massive disparity in the voice corporate entities have compared to workers but you already knew that.

Unions are required. Period. I disagree there is a difference. There is a massive disparity in the voice corporate entities have compared to workers but you already knew that.

Public unions are only required if the goal is to establish a tyrannical communist oligarchy. Those who value freedom and democracy have no use for public unions.

Except of course that union contracts tend to last for a lot longer than one election cycle. Especially those provisions around pensions and the like.

Corporations are constituents of the politicians they give money to just like you and I. That is fundamentally from the employee - employee relationship that exists between unions and politicians.

We have to agree to disagree here. As far as I’m concerned they aren’t even remotely related. You see it differently. Fair enough.

A union contract only lasts as long as they they agree to. It is the exact same thing

There is no difference

i don't support privatizing law enforcement.

I hope no one in their right mind does.
You know, Robocop was not, despite its packaging, a story about a mechanized police officer. It was a story about Omni Consumer Products, a megacorp that owned practically the entire "free market" and its ambition to take over law enforcement.
In Robocop 2, an eerily familiar bit of dialogue happens between the mayor and the CEO of OCP.

Holzgang: Let me refer you to our contract. "In the event of default, OCP shall have the uncontested right of foreclosure on all city assets."
Poulos: [reading contract for himself, then to the Mayor] You SIGNED this.
Mayor Kuzack: So you're saying we miss one payment and you can foreclose.
The Old Man: We can and we will. We're taking Detroit private.

Naturally a certain criminal element gets a free pass, because human nature proves that you can't serve two masters.
If we privatize law enforcement, law enforcement will serve the profit motive, not law and order.

It applies to every public union at every level. Their only purpose is to subvert the will of the people. Public unions are anti-democracy. Even FDR opposed all public unions for that reason.

Horse manure.

Public unions are only required if the goal is to establish a tyrannical communist oligarchy. Those who value freedom and democracy have no use for public unions.

Those who value true freedom and democracy would not restrict the rights of the people to assemble in a means they see fit. Quite the opposite of conservative policies of today.

I hope no one in their right mind does.
You know, Robocop was not, despite its packaging, a story about a mechanized police officer. It was a story about Omni Consumer Products, a megacorp that owned practically the entire "free market" and its ambition to take over law enforcement.
In Robocop 2, an eerily familiar bit of dialogue happens between the mayor and the CEO of OCP.

Holzgang: Let me refer you to our contract. "In the event of default, OCP shall have the uncontested right of foreclosure on all city assets."
Poulos: [reading contract for himself, then to the Mayor] You SIGNED this.
Mayor Kuzack: So you're saying we miss one payment and you can foreclose.
The Old Man: We can and we will. We're taking Detroit private.

Naturally a certain criminal element gets a free pass, because human nature proves that you can't serve two masters.
If we privatize law enforcement, law enforcement will serve the profit motive, not law and order.

i'm not a big fan of private prisons, either.

i'm not a big fan of private prisons, either.

I'm a big proponent of private prisons. Most of the long-term prisoners in Alaska are shipped to private prisons in the lower-48. Primarily to Arizona and Colorado.

Not only is it considerably cheaper, but if they escape nobody in Alaska will care. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom