• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Uber’s C.E.O. to Take Leave Amid Inquiry Into Workplace Culture

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
SAN FRANCISCO — Travis Kalanick, Uber’s chief executive, will take a leave of absence from the ride-hailing company, according to an internal email sent to employees. Mr. Kalanick’s announcement came as recommendations to change the company were released on Tuesday. The recommendations were the result of an investigation into Uber, conducted by former Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. and his law firm, Covington & Burling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Hopefully this gives Travis the time to grief his mother's death and changes the misogynistic culture that exists in Uber.

I've never used Uber or Lyft and never will. I'm adamantly against the business model and concept.

Any recommendation from Holder needs to be ignored.

Holder recommended not drinking or using drugs in the office. Also avoiding sexual relationships between co-workers.

How can any of these recommendaitons be ignored?

I've never used Uber but some day i might if the situation is needed.

But in any event, for sure, NOBODY is ever getting me in one of those driver-less cars. I'll walk first. :)

But in any event, for sure, NOBODY is ever getting me in one of those driver-less cars. I'll walk first. :)

Could you explain why? I understand as the technology stands that it could be a bit scary, but if(more realistically, when) it reaches the point that it is safer and more efficient than human-driven vehicles why would you be against it?

That's what a lot of people said about the internet in the 80s and early 90s.

Could you explain why? I understand as the technology stands that it could be a bit scary, but if(more realistically, when) it reaches the point that it is safer and more efficient than human-driven vehicles why would you be against it?

<<< Could you explain why? >>>

Fear of death by riding in a driver-less car. ;)

Uber is awesome. I will never ride another cab if I can avoid it.

Can I bother you to explain why?
Two reasons. I was taught as a child to never get in a strangers car and I've no interest in doing that as an adult. And secondly, If I need to utilize a ride, I'd rather support the cab industry just as I'd rather support barbers rather than a plumber who wants to cut hair on the weekend to make a few extra bucks.

From a Chicago Liberal? I'm shocked...

Tell me, what working business model do you like?
This "Chicago Liberal" tips the cab driver when I utilize their service. Something that the patrons of Uber know nothing about.

I've never used Uber or Lyft and never will. I'm adamantly against the business model and concept.

I have used it but only in Manila, Philippines.
There they have tons of taxis and public transportation options. Regular cabs there will jack up the price on you if you are wanting to go to a destination that takes them out of downtown.
Companies like Uber there don't do that. There regular fare is a bit higher than the taxis normal fare but the agreed upon price is the price. Which is nice.
However the Uber driver there may agree to come pick you up then decide not to. Happened to me once after waiting 45 minutes at my hotel and then when the driver was only like 2 blocks away he cancelled it. so it has its plusses and minuses.

In the USA I'm not sure. I am generally for less regulation, taxis seem to be over regulated which is part of why something like Uber or Lyft etc has been popular. Taxis have bonds and licenses etc that Uber etc doesn't have to get.
However there have been a lot of issues regarding companies like Uber. We will see how it goes.

I have used it but only in Manila, Philippines.
There they have tons of taxis and public transportation options. Regular cabs there will jack up the price on you if you are wanting to go to a destination that takes them out of downtown.
Companies like Uber there don't do that. There regular fare is a bit higher than the taxis normal fare but the agreed upon price is the price. Which is nice.
However the Uber driver there may agree to come pick you up then decide not to. Happened to me once after waiting 45 minutes at my hotel and then when the driver was only like 2 blocks away he cancelled it. so it has its plusses and minuses.

In the USA I'm not sure. I am generally for less regulation, taxis seem to be over regulated which is part of why something like Uber or Lyft etc has been popular. Taxis have bonds and licenses etc that Uber etc doesn't have to get.
However there have been a lot of issues regarding companies like Uber. We will see how it goes.
I'm against taxi over regulation as well. Which is why I prefer to put money in the hands of a cab driver who's struggling as it is trying to make ends meet and I'm free to tip him however much I want.

Leave of absence = getting the hell outta dodge before the spam hits the fan.

Two reasons. I was taught as a child to never get in a strangers car and I've no interest in doing that as an adult.

So you know personally all your cab drivers that you get into a cab with?

And secondly, If I need to utilize a ride, I'd rather support the cab industry just as I'd rather support barbers rather than a plumber who wants to cut hair on the weekend to make a few extra bucks.

The requirements to drive a car are to have a driver's license, not even a valid comparison there. Now if a plumber also has a barber's license, why wouldn't I want him to cut my hair?

It already is safer and more efficient.

It already is safer and more efficient.

That's just not true as the technology stands today. If you're on an interstate, or a city street in good weather, with no construction or other complicating events, etc. then it's possibly safer, but all the real world tests I've seen still require frequent 'human intervention' to avoid potential disaster, even in relatively tiny urban areas that are completely and accurately mapped by Google or whoever.

That's just not true as the technology stands today. If you're on an interstate, or a city street in good weather, with no construction or other complicating events, etc. then it's possibly safer, but all the real world tests I've seen still require frequent 'human intervention' to avoid potential disaster, even in relatively tiny urban areas that are completely and accurately mapped by Google or whoever.

I have read the opposite, the self-driving cars are usually better at seeing and reacting to potentially dangerous situations when driving autonomously. Self-drivings cars are not just limited to information they can see in front of them like people, they can see all around and take the best course of action.

Back
Top Bottom