• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. government posts $49 billion surplus in January

Obama could have done much more had he not faced record obstruction from the Right.

"I don't believe in the "sour grapes" thing, because for me it's country over party."

Hmmm....That didn't take long for you to debunk your own bunk....lol

"I don't believe in the "sour grapes" thing, because for me it's country over party."

Hmmm....That didn't take long for you to debunk your own bunk....lol

Wow, that is some amazing mental contortionism.

What's there to celebrate? That the sun came up again? That a routine cycle happened again on schedule? Really? That's what the Suckers are grasping at?

You really want a forum where people only agree with each other?

Not at all....But, go back and re read the beginning of the thread...Every post in opposition was not only rude, but insulting....I don't have any problem with opposition to what I think, but I do have a huge problem with arrogant, slack jawed dip****s calling me "stupid" because I don't agree with them.

Not at all....But, go back and re read the beginning of the thread...Every post in opposition was not only rude, but insulting....I don't have any problem with opposition to what I think, but I do have a huge problem with arrogant, slack jawed dip****s calling me "stupid" because I don't agree with them.

Fair enough, after I re-read it I saw it was more about tone than disagreement.

What's there to celebrate? That the sun came up again? That a routine cycle happened again on schedule? Really? That's what the Suckers are grasping at?

For once in 8 years I am reading an article where the Fed doesn't have to keep lending rates at 0. For the first time in 8 years I am reading about a surplus in expected receipts at Treasury....I'm hearing of higher wages, I am hearing of companies giving bonuses....I am hearing of companies bringing their offshore money back, and of expanding operations in the US creating real jobs...Need I go on?

It's good news.

Got it, you have no answer to positive economic news and why you cannot celebrate it. Tell me exactly what a mainstream liberal is that cannot celebrate good economic news? My side? My side is pro growth, pro jobs, pro national security and that makes it PRO AMERICAN. Tell us all what main story is being suppressed?

Are you having short term memory problems? It's all there in the thread. You read my responses.
Go take some gingko biloba or something if you can't remember.

Oh FFS...SNOWFLAKE defense.

Ehhh, it improved moderately.
But, that said, when observed in comparison to the prior free fall, and in comparison to what would have happened had Obama done nothing, it does INDEED LOOK like it improved greatly.

When you see a graph with a gigantic red "hockey puck" pointing downward into the negatives, the slight blue bump going to positive in the next few years spells a huge sigh of relief!!

I'm pointing that out because Obama could have done much more had he not faced record obstruction from the Right.

And, due to youthful arrogance he failed to heed the advice of Canada's then Governor of the Bank of Canada, David Dodge, through the Ambassador to the US at the time. That advice was about how to ensure the $ actually ends up in the pockets of those who need it most. The Obama administration ignored the advice and was "in a hurry to spend money" according to one insider.

The result was a huge failure to actually "create" jobs; in one example a Seattle NGO proposed to have poor neighborhoods have their insulation upgraded using workers from that neighborhood, a variation of Vancouver's Olympic building program (a disaster itself). In the end, they used 90% of the $ on meetings, luncheons and lobbying local and state governments. Not one new job, not even one person day was ever created.

Canada has burned a **** load of money over the years in stupid crap like that, I made my living reporting on it. We've learned about accountability and other **** politicians don't want to hear about because it delays the $ and thus credit to them and they, like most coffee junkies want immediate gratification.

Obama was hoodwinked by his own party in the beginning of the first term, his own fault as he had to be "the smartest guy in the room".

America's best president in my opinion saw it differently, "there is no limit to what a man may accomplish in his life if he is prepared to give another the credit."

The rudeness started in your OP with this:

More good news that the usual suspects will ignore.

Clean up your own back yard ...

"U.S. government posts $49 billion surplus in January"

Now all of a sudden you want to ADD "higher wages, companies giving bonuses, bringing their offshore money back, and expanding operations in the US creating real jobs."

People you don't agree with, myself included, started off responding ONLY TO THE "government posts $49 billion surplus in January" part.
I have different responses for each and every one of those OTHER items.

But you probably don't want to know that.
If you do, TRY ME. We could start with the "expanding operations in the U.S. creating real jobs" part, if you like.
I'm not completely poo-pooing that, there is some good news in that area, and I'm happy about it.

Stop moving the goal posts, stop acting butt hurt, start sticking to the original subject, or at least stop pretending that there is some vast conspiracy to "make Trump look bad" by the liberals.
There doesn't need to be one, he does a bangup job all by "his self" without any help from us.

But Chrysler is moving an engine assembly plant from Mexico to Michigan? Yeah, I heard about that a MONTH AGO and I was glad about it when they announced it too. Only one minor detail. They had announced the same plan in January 2017 anyway, they were just pointing out now that they were happy about the tax deal.

The CEO of Fiat-Chrysler isn't stupid, of course he should say he is happy about the tax cut deal.
If I were the CEO of FCA I would say the same thing.

So, do you still want to talk about the "$49 billion surplus" or do you want to jump around and keep acting like "all LEFTISTS wanting to make Trump look bad?"

Your thread, your choice.

More good news that the usual suspects will ignore.

I have to agree with a lot of the people here, it's not really good news. It's a smaller surplus than the last 2 Januaries. We've broken the record for taxes collected in January four years in a row, and year's actually fits slightly under the trendline for the last seven.

Now this doesn't mean it's bad news either, but I don't see anything positive from this.

If anyone believes there is any meaning in a monthly surplus or deficit figure, they are fooling themselves. These numbers go up and down based upon when people and corporations pre-pay their estimated taxes and when they pay their taxes.

There were months that had surpluses during Obama's term but they understood that fact as meaningless and didn't use it as an opportunity to brag, like the orange-twit. Moreover, trying to take credit for January 2018's surplus while ignoring the deficits since April 2017, is like the Vegas gambler who only counts her winnings and not her losses.

None of this will have any effect on the annual deficit that has estimated to be a trillion dollars.

fredgraph.png

And in other good news today, nobody on Trump's staff murdered anyone. Just more good news the libs will ignore. You only care about good news when your guy is in the office. When nobody on Obama's staff murdered anyone you were all like "OH YEAH GOBAMA!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!" But when Trump is in the White House all you libs have are crickets. SAD!!!!

Originally Posted by j-mac
"More good news that the usual suspects will ignore."

the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects

Boo hoo hoo waaaaahhh, mumble mumble vast left wing commie conspiracy mumble mumble mumble why don't you leftist commies want to celebrate good news mumble mumble....bla bla bla quack quack quack.

And you wonder why people don't take your threads seriously.

Oh please....Certainly wasn't calling people stupid....Would you have felt better if I had inserted 'liberals' instead? Either way, you couldn't help yourself in proving me right could you....But next time, try not to walk straight into it....

I have to agree with a lot of the people here, it's not really good news. It's a smaller surplus than the last 2 Januaries. We've broken the record for taxes collected in January four years in a row, and year's actually fits slightly under the trendline for the last seven.

Now this doesn't mean it's bad news either, but I don't see anything positive from this.

It's not HORRIBLE news either.
The horrible news has nothing to do with the revenue coming in for January, it has to do with the long term effects of the tax cuts further down the road.
But for the short term, it's better than hearing that January was a shortfall, but in the long run it doesn't amount to anything more than a 49 billion dollar blip against the backdrop of a 1.5 trillion dollar hole being dug.
It's like a BB rolling around in the belly of an oil tanker.

Originally Posted by j-mac
"More good news that the usual suspects will ignore."

the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects
the usual suspects

Boo hoo hoo waaaaahhh, mumble mumble vast left wing commie conspiracy mumble mumble mumble why don't you leftist commies want to celebrate good news mumble mumble....bla bla bla quack quack quack.

And you wonder why people don't take your threads seriously.

You've been in it for about 5 pages now...So you obviously do....Oh, and poor baby, someone referred to "usual suspects" and you just felt that meant you? So tell me why you have this complex son....Maybe I can help you.

Oh please....Certainly wasn't calling people stupid....Would you have felt better if I had inserted 'liberals' instead? Either way, you couldn't help yourself in proving me right could you....But next time, try not to walk straight into it....

Moral relativism.
You guys got all incensed when Hillz used "deplorables" so now you're poo pooing the fact that "the usual suspects" is mildly annoying...or even a bit rude.

Know what? I've decided I don't give a rat's ass.
I know what to do when I encounter troll bait.

I'm outta here. Enjoy whining about "the usual suspects" and weaseling away when you get caught, it's a waste of my time.

Well, to each his own....;)

Moral relativism.
You guys got all incensed when Hillz used "deplorables" so now you're poo pooing the fact that "the usual suspects" is mildly annoying...or even a bit rude.

Know what? I've decided I don't give a rat's ass.
I know what to do when I encounter troll bait.

I'm outta here. Enjoy whining about "the usual suspects" and weaseling away when you get caught, it's a waste of my time.

As I said to you before....have a nice night.

What is it about liberalism that cannot allow celebration of good economic news? Your ideology is a failure and we are seeing that in the actual results we are seeing right not, record employment is generating more FIT revenue as well as SS and Medicare money but that reality escapes you. Full time employment generates more revenue than the part time employment Obama generated.

I have a question: Is it possible for to EVER create a post that doesn't start with an ad hominem personal attack?

Everything after the first sentence, which is said attack, is irrelevant to the thread at hand.

The debt is lower in the first four months than at any time under Obama? That statement is at odds with the actual numbers.

fredgraph.png

Why are you using facts to rebut the "good news?" Do you hate good news? Did you and "good news" have a messy break up? Look, if you insist on ruining "good news" with facts, and these...these...CHARTS??? I don't even know, I assume those are charts with money number stuff, just go somewhere else and post about your "bad news" with your fancy economic talkyness.

MAGA!!! #covfefe

P.S. I can't help myself, I just can't. I try, I read what they say, and I wanna not make a sarcastic comeback to them because they think I'm mean and that I put too many words on their screen. So I have to use you. I am sure trolling by proxy is not a good thing, but it just feels right.

Why are you using facts to rebut the "good news?" Do you hate good news? Did you and "good news" have a messy break up? Look, if you insist on ruining "good news" with facts, and these...these...CHARTS??? I don't even know, I assume those are charts with money number stuff, just go somewhere else and post about your "bad news" with your fancy economic talkyness.

MAGA!!! #covfefe

P.S. I can't help myself, I just can't. I try, I read what they say, and I wanna not make a sarcastic comeback to them because they think I'm mean and that I put too many words on their screen. So I have to use you. I am sure trolling by proxy is not a good thing, but it just feels right.

Please take a civics class and stop buying the headlines and ignoring the actual data. there are TWO PARTS to the debt, Public and Inter-Government Holdings. You cannot seem to grasp that reality. Inter Government Holdings include SS and Medicare and both have been used to show lower public debt which distorts reality. You cannot seem to help yourself buying the liberal line and ignoring reality. I have posted the link over and over again showing Treasury data and both debt but of course that is irrelevant to people like you but the reality is the chart doesn't show what you think it shows

Obama had trillion dollar deficits 4 years in a row. to date total DEBT is 250 billion dollars for fiscal year 2018 so show me the Treasury Data to support your claims on TOTAL DEBT???

Back
Top Bottom