• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. government posts $49 billion surplus in January

Will the deficit increase over the next 4-8 years?

No idea, depends on the economic activity, job creation including full time jobs, reduction in discouraged workers and how Congress spends money

What is it about liberalism that cannot allow celebration of good economic news? Your ideology is a failure and we are seeing that in the actual results we are seeing right not, record employment is generating more FIT revenue as well as SS and Medicare money but that reality escapes you. Full time employment generates more revenue than the part time employment Obama generated.
No, it's about bald bragging about a meaningless metric. It's no different than Trump bragging that there weren't any Plane Crashes in 2017 -- something Trump had nothing to do with. In fact, no commercial jet has crashed in the U.S. since 2009.

As I said earlier, some months always have surpluses -- such as January and April. These numbers are not an indication of anything other than that's when checks come in.

No, it's about bald bragging about a meaningless metric. It's no different than Trump bragging that there weren't any Plane Crashes in 2017 -- something Trump had nothing to do with. In fact, no commercial jet has crashed in the U.S. since 2009.

You have a serious credibility problem and are more of a Communist than a liberal as you have a problem with promoting good news as that flies in the face of your ideology for bigger govt. and more created dependence. You still call tax cuts an expense, you still believe it is the role of the Federal govt. to solve social problems and you ignore that every dollar leaving the state and local economies affect their ability to solve their own problems. We currently have lower debt in the first four months of fiscal year 2018 than at any time during the Obama Administration.

I used to argue that Trump isn't really draining the swamp as he promised. It took me awhile to realize that Trump supporters defined the "swamp" very differently from the way I did. I simply misunderstood what they meant, and I think a lot of us liberals do.

I had thought the "swamp" was about self-dealing insiders who profited from their connections in government by pulling strings for their own private benefit or profit. But I now realize that's not what they meant at all. They meant "government officials who help people I don't like."

That's why it doesn't faze Trump supporters at all when he fills the government with lobbyists and corporate executives who'll directly benefit from their regulatory decisions, or when he relaxes or simply ignores ethics laws and regulations.

That's not the swamp to them. Instead, the swamp is government employees who write regulations to help "Those People," or prevent discrimination, or make people use energy-efficient light bulbs. It doesn't matter whether those are civil service employees who'll never earn an extra dime due to the decisions they make. They're still the "swamp." And Trump is absolutely clearing THAT swamp -- and we will be all worse off because of it.

Welcome to the madness.

You have a serious credibility problem and are more of a Communist than a liberal as you have a problem with promoting good news as that flies in the face of your ideology for bigger govt. and more created dependence. You still call tax cuts an expense, you still believe it is the role of the Federal govt. to solve social problems and you ignore that every dollar leaving the state and local economies affect their ability to solve their own problems. We currently have lower debt in the first four months of fiscal year 2018 than at any time during the Obama Administration.
I have a question: Is it possible for to EVER create a post that doesn't start with an ad hominem personal attack?

Everything after the first sentence, which is said attack, is irrelevant to the thread at hand.

The debt is lower in the first four months than at any time under Obama? That statement is at odds with the actual numbers.

fredgraph.png

Last edited:
No it doesn't happen regularly but keep buying the leftwing spin.

The U.S. treasury Dept.'s pdf of federal receipts is not "leftwing spin".

Edit: The dates that Estimated Taxes are paid on and the date year-end final taxes are due are not "leftwing spin" either.

Last edited:
Oh, so you only want to civilly engage people that you agree with....Ok, there's already a site that may suit you better, here's the link....

If you think I violated the rules, report me.

I'm allowed to explain why your post is stupid and dishonest.

Oh, so you only want to civilly engage people that you agree with....Ok, there's already a site that may suit you better, here's the link....

https://www.dailykos.com/

Are you kidding??

You just said that EXACT THING a moment ago!

Then don't post if you think it's stupid....replies like this are what's wrong with DP lately.

OMFG, I need to go scream into a towel.

If you think I violated the rules, report me.

I'm allowed to explain why your post is stupid and dishonest.

Sure you are, but just like in society, I don't have to waste the spit it takes to fill a bucket on you either...Have a great evening.

You have a serious credibility problem and are more of a Communist than a liberal as you have a problem with promoting good news.....SNIPPED for BREVITY

A) That's impossible because, according to 99% of the responses you give to any liberal, ALL of us ARE ALREADY Communists, simply because we're liberals.

B) So called "promoting good news" when it serves the purpose of propaganda?
I thought I saw a lot of that in the old Soviet "crop reports".

Vremya1975.jpg

You make yourself look stupid by posting this and simultaneously supporting policies that double the budget deficit. I don't know how you can't understand how dumb that makes you look.

A surplus is not a deficit. You really need to bone up on your economics.

A) That's impossible because, according to 99% of the responses you give to any liberal, ALL of us ARE ALREADY Communists, simply because we're liberals.

B) So called "promoting good news" when it serves the purpose of propaganda?
I thought I saw a lot of that in the old Soviet "crop reports".

View attachment 67228507
Give me a freaking break, are you telling me that record employment strong economic growth record revenue generated is propaganda?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Took the words out of my mouth. Wait for the deficit numbers along with interest rate increases to come.

Interest rates are going up because the economy is doing too well.

Give me a freaking break, are you telling me that record employment strong economic growth record revenue generated is propaganda?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That is not what you were originally referring to.
The responses to you are about a specific news item and you know what that item is.
When the Chernobyl reactor went kaboom, Vremya kept plowing ahead with reports of bumper crops.
What's wrong with promoting good news? Not a thing.
What's wrong with "promoting good news" when the main story is being suppressed?

You figure it out. After all, your side has been crowing with glee about how you're using extreme left wing tactics to defeat the Left, only it IS the Left who are pointing out to you the fact that they know full well how their own extreme end (the Communists) failed, and it is the mainstream Left who have been warning your side not to get too trigger happy in using those tactics the wrong way.

You see, this all fits in with the problem some of you have in insisting that all liberals are supposedly radical extremists and Communists. We're not, we're mainstream liberals, so we of all people recognize the faults of the extreme fringe on our own side.

You? Your side doesn't. You've found a new drug and you're smoking it night and day.
And we see it, and the effects it is having on society, particularly at your end of the swimming pool.

The economy improved rather greatly under Obama, and you can find these types of numbers in the same tax receiving months under Obama.

No, the economy struggled under Obama.

The FED doesn't zero out its discount rate in good economies, and it was zeroed for through Obama's presidency, so yes its nice to finally have some good economic news

We were told the Obama economy was the new normal by partisan hacks that put party over Country.
Its so nice to see that talking point debunked under Trump

The economy improved rather greatly under Obama, and you can find these types of numbers in the same tax receiving months under Obama.

Ehhh, it improved moderately.
But, that said, when observed in comparison to the prior free fall, and in comparison to what would have happened had Obama done nothing, it does INDEED LOOK like it improved greatly.

When you see a graph with a gigantic red "hockey puck" pointing downward into the negatives, the slight blue bump going to positive in the next few years spells a huge sigh of relief!!

I'm pointing that out because Obama could have done much more had he not faced record obstruction from the Right.

That is not what you were originally referring to.
The responses to you are about a specific news item and you know what that item is.
When the Chernobyl reactor went kaboom, Vremya kept plowing ahead with reports of bumper crops.
What's wrong with promoting good news? Not a thing.
What's wrong with "promoting good news" when the main story is being suppressed?

You figure it out. After all, your side has been crowing with glee about how you're using extreme left wing tactics to defeat the Left, only it IS the Left who are pointing out to you the fact that they know full well how their own extreme end (the Communists) failed, and it is the mainstream Left who have been warning your side not to get too trigger happy in using those tactics the wrong way.

You see, this all fits in with the problem some of you have in insisting that all liberals are supposedly radical extremists and Communists. We're not, we're mainstream liberals, so we of all people recognize the faults of the extreme fringe on our own side.

You? Your side doesn't. You've found a new drug and you're smoking it night and day.
And we see it, and the effects it is having on society, particularly at your end of the swimming pool.

Got it, you have no answer to positive economic news and why you cannot celebrate it. Tell me exactly what a mainstream liberal is that cannot celebrate good economic news? My side? My side is pro growth, pro jobs, pro national security and that makes it PRO AMERICAN. Tell us all what main story is being suppressed?

Have fun?
You're the one who got caught.

Got caught what exactly? Being happy that there is finally some positive news to consider? Listen friend, you want to go through life waking up pissed at the world everyday, that's on you. Don't involve me in your misery.

No, the economy struggled under Obama.

The FED doesn't zero out its discount rate in good economies, and it was zeroed for through Obama's presidency, so yes its nice to finally have some good economic news

We were told the Obama economy was the new normal by partisan hacks that put party over Country.
Its so nice to see that talking point debunked under Trump

Back
Top Bottom