• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. court voids 3 Texas congressional districts

Why do you say in this post, Conservative, among the many several personally insulting smears, that I didn't take personal responsibility of my life a long time ago, when in fact I began teaching chemistry and physics in 1976 and am now happily retired on insurance for life and watching you flail away with another post content free of the OP ?

Then why do you support liberalism that hasn't created any meaningful jobs, economic growth but added 9.4 trillion to the debt and over 100 million dependent on the federal taxpayers for some kind of assistance? Apparently you have a good heart however wish you would think with your brain. Healthcare is a personal responsibility issue best handled by the states just like minimum wage but you want to make it a federal issue because you care. If you cared you would want quality results not just throwing money at the problem

So another smear post from Conservative calling me selfish and refusing to speak on topic.

You must be very afraid of what's coming the next two terms if elections, AND THEN THE ENSUING REMAPS .

You are the one talking about remaps but never the issues. All the remaps in the world won't win the battle on the issues. There is no value to support any liberal today as evidenced by the Obama economic record. There is no guarantee that when you redraw the districts you change the power in DC and change it to what? What exactly are you looking for since jobs, economic activity and national security don't seem to be of concern to you

Gerrymandering and the issues you divert and deflect to aren't the content of this OP, but you already knew that, Conservative .

three districts in TX is the issue, one has a Latino Republican in a predominantly Latino district so what do you hope to gain? What exactly is your problem with TX politics? we have a part time legislature, no state income taxes, a balanced budget requirement, strong economy and employment. What is your problem with the state?

Then why do you support liberalism

Your first six words in this off-topic post were: Then why do you support liberalism

Which has ZERO to do with the OP of gerrymandering in Texas .

Your first six words in this off-topic post were: Then why do you support liberalism

Which has ZERO to do with the OP of gerrymandering in Texas .

You have yet to explain how eliminating Gerrymandering is going to win the war of issues and ideas or even return the Democratic Party to its roots. You claim it has nothing to do with the thread but it actually has everything to do with it as liberalism ignores the issues to focus on the non issues like Gerrymandering

Re: Panel voids 3 Texas congressional districts

The teeth of the act is government mandated gerrymandering.

Are you sure we're talking about the same Civil Rights Act?

It's fine when Democrats do it. It's UNPRECEDENTED RACISM when Republicans do it.

I suppose it depends upon one's perspective, eh? ;)

Per the court, Republicans intentionally drew district lines to water down Hispanic and Black representation. This was so blatant that SCOTUS will easily uphold the decision.

Court voids 3 Texas congressional districts

Ahh good ol' gerrymandering. Both sides love it when they work it to their advantage.

I wonder why we don't just have a computer do it, and make squares (or close enough to it), not irregularly shaped polygons.

Last edited:
Hmmm, are zip codes voting blocks? I get enough Omega-3, I don't need your Red Herring.

But if it makes you feel better, we can redistribute those too.

It makes life easier (for mass mailings) if one uses them when forming election districts.

It makes life easier (for mass mailings) if one uses them when forming election districts.

'Ya know, that's an idea. That's a great idea, except for one detail. Populations are not evenly distributed in zip codes, wheras population must be distributed evenly in Congressional districts. That was one hell of an idea though. :)

'Ya know, that's an idea. That's a great idea, except for one detail. Populations are not evenly distributed in zip codes, wheras population must be distributed evenly in Congressional districts. That was one hell of an idea though. :)

That terrible math problem can be overcome by simply combining them. ;)

it certainly does, but I'm not sure it exclusively does. The election map gets redrawn from time to time, I'm not sure how often the ZIP gets updated.

But it's irrelevant to your red herring from before. Irregularly shaped zip codes are not gerrymandering, and gerrymandering relates to drawing up election districts in such a way as to influence the results. Since zip isn't the primary designation of that, an irregular zip can be annoying to the post service, perhaps, but not congressional districts.

it certainly does, but I'm not sure it exclusively does. The election map gets redrawn from time to time, I'm not sure how often the ZIP gets updated.

But it's irrelevant to your red herring from before. Irregularly shaped zip codes are not gerrymandering, and gerrymandering relates to drawing up election districts in such a way as to influence the results. Since zip isn't the primary designation of that, an irregular zip can be annoying to the post service, perhaps, but not congressional districts.

That (bolded above) is exactly what the court wishes to do - just in a different manner. I have yet to see a court not base their gerrymandering "findings" on how folks voted rather than simply on geography.

Still unworkable. I will use Texas as an example.

1) Congressional districts must all contain approximately the same number of people. At this time, it is about 711,000 people per district. That sets the limit on district size.

2) Look at the zip +4. That will tell you that the maximum number of addresses in a zip code cannot be more than 10,000 people. That sets the constraint on the upper limit for zip codes.

3) Therefore, you would combine about 71 zip codes to make a district.

3) To get 71 zip codes in Houston, you can use a relatively small area.

4) To get 71 zip codes in a rural area of, say, west Texas, you would need to combine thousands of square miles of area.

5) Since so many zip codes comprise an area, they could still be gerrymandered quite easily, by cherry picking which zip codes to use when drawing a district, and even more easily in a large area, such as west Texas. True, gerrymandering would be made more difficult, but not that much more difficult. And, in an area such as west Texas, there would be almost no impact at all.

6) Therefore, this is not a good solution at all.

Yet zip codes must touch each other to be combined into a district so it still poses geographic limits. What this argument boils down to is not stopping gerrymandering but to use a different method of drawing districts to acheive a desired outcome. I have yet to see a court demand that a majority minority district be abolished "to be fair" but I have seen the reverse.

That terrible math problem can be overcome by simply combining them. ;)

Still unworkable. I will use Texas as an example.

1) Congressional districts must all contain approximately the same number of people. At this time, it is about 711,000 people per district. That sets the limit on district size.

2) Look at the zip +4. That will tell you that the maximum number of addresses in a zip code cannot be more than 10,000 people. That sets the constraint on the upper limit for zip codes.

3) In Houston, you can obtain the max limit on zip codes quite easily.

4) In a rural area, say, west Texas, there would be fewer people per zip code, so more zip codes would have to be combined to make a district. Making zip codes out of a larger area is not a solution either, as that would mean that postal workers would not be able to deliver the mail there as efficiently as in Houston, but I am digressing at this point.

5) Therefore, you would combine about 71 zip codes to make a district in Houston, and more than 71 in west Texas.

6) The key here is 71, the absolute minum number of zip codes needed to create each district.

7) To get 71 zip codes in Houston, you can use a relatively small area.

8) To get the number of required zip codes to meet the 711,000 requirement for a district in west Texas, you would need to combine thousands of square miles of area.

9) Since so many zip codes comprise an area, whether urban or rural, they could still be gerrymandered quite easily, by cherry picking which zip codes to use when drawing a district, and even more easily in a large area, such as west Texas. True, gerrymandering would be made more difficult, but not that much more difficult. And, in an area such as west Texas, there would be almost no impact at all.

10) Therefore, what you are suggesting is not a workable solution to end gerrymandering, although it would help a little.

Last edited:
Yet zip codes must touch each other to be combined into a district so it still poses geographic limits. What this argument boils down to is not stopping gerrymandering but to use a different method of drawing districts to acheive a desired outcome. I have yet to see a court demand that a majority minority district be abolished "to be fair" but I have seen the reverse.

Sorry about this. I expanded my logic in another post, and deleted the first one, and the post I deleted is the one you responded to. Bad timing here. LOL.

That is not possible with sparsely populated areas. The shape may be more "circular" but the distance between the farthest points is greater.

I do not understand your objections. Depends upon how you measure distance; in the worst districts as shown in the link I provided, driving from one end to the opposite while staying within the boundaries of the district, you might have a long drive. In using the term "sparsely populated areas" we are generally speaking of rural districts. Districts which may be georgraphically large, yet those living within the district probably have similar political views owing to the fact they are living the same lifestyle - even when two contitutents live 100 miles apart.

I do not understand your objections. Depends upon how you measure distance; in the worst districts as shown in the link I provided, driving from one end to the opposite while staying within the boundaries of the district, you might have a long drive. In using the term "sparsely populated areas" we are generally speaking of rural districts. Districts which may be georgraphically large, yet those living within the district probably have similar political views owing to the fact they are living the same lifestyle - even when two contitutents live 100 miles apart.

Densely populated areas may follow major roadways or rivers and are often surrounded by less densely populated areas. Rural areas are often quite close to cities an/or their suburbs and can be tossed in to make a district's shape less odd looking but those rural voters have no real chance of affecting the elections. I mostly agree with your last point.

Ahh, right. So if Republicans win an election, it's ok to have clear racial bias in the fundamental blocks of our democracy.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but if the observer is a racist, they see a racial motivation in everything.

and your point is . . . ?

Not too difficult to get this point.

The party that won the election controls the process.

What in this leaves you confused?

Back
Top Bottom