• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Job Losses Will Exceed The Great Recession’s

What Trump job losses? Did Trump shut down the states or did the governor's do that?

Trump. According to trump, he has absolute power to shut down and reopen the economy. So if he didn't like any of the shutdowns he could have ended them at anytime. At least that's what he said.

I've haven't seen anything that shows Trump directly ignored warnings. Yet I have seen these governors do so and I wouldn't be surprised that they did so out of spite.

I hope you are kidding about this. There is ample evidence that trump ignored warnings.

Trump. According to trump, he has absolute power to shut down and reopen the economy. So if he didn't like any of the shutdowns he could have ended them at anytime. At least that's what he said.

Who shut down the economy? Trump or the Governors?

No, I'll readily say that Trump could've done thing differently. But he in no way ****ed this up, like what the left is trying to claim.

I've haven't seen anything that shows Trump directly ignored warnings. Yet I have seen these governors do so and I wouldn't be surprised that they did so out of spite... .

I think that likely. Trump has literally caused some to lose their mind.

I hope you are kidding about this. There is ample evidence that trump ignored warnings.

I've asked for such evidence before and have received nothing but insults.

You're free to supply your evidence.

I think that likely. Trump has literally caused some to lose their mind.

If I'm to give my honest opinion. I think their minds have been lost, since he came down that escalator.

I do not currently blame Trump for the unemployment numbers being where they are. It is my view that we had a Sophie’s choice in that we either lockdown the economy to save lives and end up in recession or we let many die to keep the economy strong. Locking down and risking the economy was the correct solution.

Where I do blame Trump is that lockdown came extremely late due to his lack of action and we BOTH ruined the economy and lost too many innocent lives due to COVID-19.

That being said if we have to go back into lockdown soon, which I believe we will, due to him continuing to act half assed throughout the entirety of the pandemic, I will blame him for the economy’s fall out then. Testing is still not where it needs to be because he doesn’t want cases to spike. I predict another lockdown within 3 weeks, unfortunately, and this one was preventable had he acted appropriately.

So for now, the UE rate, IMHO is not on Trump. But if we go back into lockdown it will be.

...Did he [President Trump] ever deliver on his 27M test promise?

No, he did not. What we have seen in the United States is a partnership between government (at all levels) and the private sector that has tested 20.8 million people as of 8 June. To put some perspective here, that is more than the five other top countries combined.

Now, is that all President Trump's doing? Of course not. Just like it isn't the administration's fault that we are dealing with the pandemic in the first place. Moreover, it is incredulous to argue on one hand that a political figure is to blame for the economy's woes that are 100% due to shutting down the economy to avert overwhelming our medical care system, and then blame the same political figure for not doing anything about the pandemic (which is also false).

Unlike most recessions, we should see a swift recovery (although it will take probably 2 years to reach the same level of economy that we had pre-COVID). That is, however, unless the government makes the same foolhardy decisions that it did during our last major financial crisis--which was to raise taxes on job creators along with arduous regulations that made our last recovery the longest and most feeble recovery in modern history.

Last edited:
...Where I do blame Trump is that lockdown came extremely late due to his lack of action and we BOTH ruined the economy and lost too many innocent lives due to COVID-19...

To put things in perspective here a bit...outside of Asia and Italy, not a single country in the world made decisions to recommend locking down their population either nationally or locally before 1 March--14 days before the US did so. Further, the vast majority that did begin locking down did so only a few days before the US.

And while yes, there were experts that called for actions earlier in the crisis, the idea that the scientific community has been fully in lockstep on the best way to proceed is fantasy...especially when we look at the great uncertainty that existed in the early months January-March, of the pandemic.

Back
Top Bottom