• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump signs executive orders on coronavirus economic relief (1 Viewer)

The dems like to point out that the house has "power of the purse" but they don't point out they can't seem to come to a compromise that can get passed by Congress.

The Democrats offered a compromise yesterday. The Republicans didn't even counter.

"If I'm victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax," Trump said.

Of course he did. What an absolute piece of ****.

I remember all of those conservatives who said "those damn Dems think that they can bribe the voter to win" the last decade.

Those who protest a bit too much are often the first to go there.

I've read one of the EO's and it does, in fact, cite existing laws, as well as the disaster declaration from earlier this year.

There are other citation of existing law sprinkled throughout that EO.

But, of course, we'll see what happens if someone decides to challenge this in court.
Exactly. Referencing legal basis is different than a court accepting & ratifying it. Of course Trump cites law. He must, to satisfy the technicalities of an E.O. It's part of the legal requirement.

You are a "libertarian" that is supportive of the president decreeing spending all on his own that exceeds 2% of GDP, and that is just with the unemployment benefits increase. That is about the most un-libertarian imaginable a president could do, yet you defend it because you aren't a libertarian. The constitution means nothing at all to you, you are a Trumpist.

You need to learn to read. I didnt say I supported anything. Think before you type.

And when this goes to court, I expect a ruling declaring it unconstitutional by mid-October...

Will the unemployed people have to return their money back????

I remember all of those conservatives who said "those damn Dems think that they can bribe the voter to win" the last decade.

Turns out those conservatives were right and your just pissed because they are beating you at your own game.

Will the unemployed people have to return their money back????

Will they be taking advantage of the payroll tax deferment? I would imagine the unemployed have a very low payroll tax burden...

Well, i guess that blows the **** out of every Leftist argument in this thread. Huh?

This isn't about left v right anymore

The people who support the kinds of things Trump is doing now aren't on the right.

The people who oppose what Trump is doing right now aren't leftists.

It's really about whether or not you believe in the Republic, the whole idea of America, the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, the thing, this experiment the founding fathers helped to create. And it's quite apparent now that Trump supporters hate America. They hate the Constitution.

Trump and his supporters are now fascists thugs. That is the ugly truth.

Obama understood our Constitution.
Yet Obama still did a bad E.O., that he publicly stated would likely not stand. I'm not with Trump here, and I won't buy the 'Obama equality' here. There is no comparison in terms of degree. But it is true Obama pulled the same crap.

Turns out those conservatives were right and your just pissed because they are beating you at your own game.

/voted mostly Republican until 2016.

Do you even know what payroll taxes are? :lamo

dude. he's doing this in an attempt to buy votes.

tell the truth, you were never a constitutionalist, correct?

Yep. After fugging everything up and blowing everything off for nearly four years, he now realizes he's got to try to appear legit - or it's all over.

You're generous.
I think he's spinning right to the very end and that this latest ploy either has some kind of grift attached or it's some kind of exploding cigar.
He's just interested in APPEARING as if he's trying to be legit.

Nice redirect trump

Moscow Mitch couldn't even get enough of his republican senators to pass even his reduced funding bill to open the negotiations with the democrats.

Those tea party republicans refuse to fund any relief bill.

Now once.again trump has overreacted and his executive orders will be struck down. Meantime republicans in the Senate get a reprieve
"temporary reprieve"

If that.

DACA was a prosecutorial discretion executive order. Now one could certainly argue that it went beyond the president's prosecutorial discretion purview, and that would certainly be a reasonable argument, but that is what it fell under.

In contrast, this is a president decreeing on his own additional spending amounting to around 2% of GDP, and that is just for the additional unemployment benefits. It is not even in the same ballpark of any other president's EOs.

False. DACA set up systems and procedures for the relevant folks to apply.
None of it was supported by law.

I don't particularly like the substance of what Trump is doing here , or the means by which he does it.
But when the usual suspects have no problem when the Democtat does the same... Uh uh.

No kidding. With the exception of guns and abortion, Republicans have abandoned every single "principle" they used to fake they had. They criticize Democratic tactics and then a year later say, "But we did it better."

Hey, you spineless, soulless, lying Republicans, at the end of Obama's first term, he had signed 147 executive orders. It's still August and Trump has signed 177.

And when this goes to court, I expect a ruling declaring it unconstitutional by mid-October...

You think liberals on the courts are going to rule this sort of thing to be unconstitutional??

The people who support the kinds of things Trump is doing now aren't on the right.

It's really about whether or not you believe in the Republic, the whole idea of America, the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, the thing, this experiment the founding fathers helped to create. And it's quite apparent now that Trump supporters hate America. They hate the Constitution.

Well go to court and have these executive orders reversed.

Let us know how it turns out for your side.

Cue the violins.
Obama did the same and the usual suspects cheered.
Sorry-- it's not suddenly fascism when a Republican does it as well.

You're generous.
I think he's spinning right to the very end and that this latest ploy either has some kind of grift attached or it's some kind of exploding cigar.
He's just interested in APPEARING as if he's trying to be legit.

i give him credit for being a really good con man.

Why are you opposed to government helping those in need all of the sudden? Oh wait, its Trump doing it. Thats why you are against it. My bad.
No, it's doing it (likely) illegally, rather than Constitutionally-Legislatively. This is no different than Obama's DACA E.O., and we saw what that did. In fact, I believe this will be far worse.

Well go to court and have these executive orders reversed.

Let us know how it turns out for your side.

The House could muddy the waters by ceding a payroll tax holiday, which would be much more generous than the President's EO. It would, naturally, be blocked by McConnell who, in addition to having previously not wanted a payroll tax cut, would have no interest in handing a Democratic House a victory.

You think liberals on the courts are going to rule this sort of thing to be unconstitutional??

it's just more challenge to see if our institutions can stand up to the scum Trump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom