• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump budget: $800 billion in Medicaid cuts

While not wanting to start a debate on spending more than the govt. brings in, the USA is borrowing approximately 0.46 for every dollar it spends. Our national debt continues to rise each year. Health care is a vital program. Medicaid should be funded. Social Security is important and should be funded as well as other non discretionary obligations.

People need to start looking at the whole budget. Somewhere reductions have to be made if health care and other social programs are to be funded to the level some want.

The problem is no one pays any attention to the line items in the budget or the funding for each line item. SS and Medicare are funded by payroll taxes. Roads and infrastructure are funded by gasoline and other use taxes. The unified budget created by LBJ started this entire mess and put SS and Medicare in the hole because money was spent on items other than those items creating an IOU that still has to be funded.

Right now the budget is 60% entitlement spending and that never was the intent of our Founders in creating this country

The problem is no one pays any attention to the line items in the budget or the funding for each line item. SS and Medicare are funded by payroll taxes. Roads and infrastructure are funded by gasoline and other use taxes. The unified budget created by LBJ started this entire mess and put SS and Medicare in the hole because money was spent on items other than those items creating an IOU that still has to be funded.

Right now the budget is 60% entitlement spending and that never was the intent of our Founders in creating this country
Please don't speak for Mr. Jefferson, Adams and Madison. You have no idea what they would of approved of in 2017. I don't find anything wrong with our federal government being an insurance company with an army.

While not wanting to start a debate on spending more than the govt. brings in, the USA is borrowing approximately 0.46 for every dollar it spends. Our national debt continues to rise each year. Health care is a vital program. Medicaid should be funded. Social Security is important and should be funded as well as other non discretionary obligations.

People need to start looking at the whole budget. Somewhere reductions have to be made if health care and other social programs are to be funded to the level some want.
Where does that .46 number come from? The govt revenues are about $3.5 trillion and the deficit is between $500-600 bil. My math says that's .17.

800 Billion is a start , Trump needs to gut the money pit !!!! :roll:

Its a complete fantasy that cutting medicaid by $800B means that $800B is saved. More likely, it costs more to make the cuts than the savings to be had. No healthcare for the poor shifts the burden. The problem will re-appear much more expensive fashion, starting with upward pressure on the pricing of private insurance.

The problem with most Republican approaches to problems is that the Republicans want to treat symptoms and never consider the disease. Its fantasy.

Please don't speak for Mr. Jefferson, Adams and Madison. You have no idea what they would of approved of in 2017. I don't find anything wrong with our federal government being an insurance company with an army.

Defense is a requirement in the Constitution thus the VA is an authorized expense as it should be. suggest you read the original constitution and tell me where our founders said provide for domestic welfare and where it found no problem with Federal Govt. usurping state rights and responsibilities? Seems you have a vested interest in big govt. massive debt, and more entitlements. I am sure throwing money at the problem makes you feel good but it doesn't change human behavior and has led to the current debt something apparently that still isn't big enough for you.

Its a complete fantasy that cutting medicaid by $800B means that $800B is saved. More likely, it costs more to make the cuts than the savings to be had. No healthcare for the poor shifts the burden. The problem will re-appear much more expensive fashion, starting with upward pressure on the pricing of private insurance.

The problem with most Republican approaches to problems is that the Republicans want to treat symptoms and never consider the disease. Its fantasy.

The problem will indeed reoccur exactly where it belongs as the state and local levels. Why is it always the Federal taxpayer responsibility to fund state and local issues and responsibilities?

I find it ironic that you talk about treating symptoms which is all the left does fueling class warfare and entitlement spending vs. actually solving a problem and changing human behavior. I know all this spending makes you feel good but it serves little purpose in that it never solves a problem

Like many budget proposals, this is a "10 year plan" which is a clever trick used to get a "nice" CBO score with the "cuts" occuring in future budget years. Basically, it allows continued deficit spending now to be "paid for" by the (fictional?) premise that future congress critter actions are bound by this batch of congress critters "promise" to make cuts in 2020 or even 2026. In essence, this is Trump "promising" that his deficit spending now will be "paid for" later.

Rest assured that the party for a bigger federal government is not about to shift costs to the (their?) states and districts - the basis for Trump's future (promised?) "savings". Trump needs these future savings "promises", plus some more from AHCA future savings "projections", to have the CBO assure us that his tax cuts (comming soon - remember?) are fiscally responsible.

The bottom line is that Trump and our merry congress critters will pass yet another "budget" with a deficit, call it temporary and managable, and get back on the campaign trail telling us how much they saved us (from 2020 to 2026).

So he's becoming like any other politician. That sucks.

So he's becoming like any other politician. That sucks.

Well, did you really think that Trump was going to sit down and prepare his own detailed federal budget? Yep, by tradition he let others do the deed with some clever Trumpisms uttered as general guidance.

Most President budgets are DOA when it get turned into Congress. It is a wish list. Congress actually prepares the spending bills. The President can either sign or veto.

I voted for Trump. Now he wants to cut the aid I need

Shockey is on Supplemental Security Income (SSI), a program to help low-income Americans who are disabled. The monthly payment is just over $700 a month.
"It's my only income," Shockey told CNNMoney in the fall, when we first met her at Diner 23 in Waverly, a small town in southern Ohio that's seen better days. "I couldn't live" without it.

I voted for Trump. Now he wants to cut the aid I need - May. 24, 2017

The amazing thing is that some of these folks still support the Liar n Chief.

I believe you are probably looking at the folks who have a low IQ, people who do not have that ability to think for themselves. These are the people Trump likes. And there are many.

Which is precisely why it's such a slimey thing to do. He lied to their faces. Got their votes, then stabbed them in the back.

That article from the (cough) Washington Times is from 2012.

(cough) Yes, it was old data. Bet the feds are still spending more than they bring in.

Back to the OP. I can agree health programs like medicare needs to be supported. The feds still need to trip the spending.

CNN appears to be the lying snake. Trumps budget INCREASES medicaid spending year after year. As well as all other spending.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/budget.pdf

View attachment 67217958

It nearly doubles in 10 years.

So the leftist fishwrap Fox News is lying too then? :roll:

Trump budget to cut Medicaid, food stamps -- put 'taxpayer first,' officials say | Fox News

The White House plan leaves Social Security and Medicare untouched, but calls for $800 billion in cuts to Medicaid and a $193 billion reduction in food stamps over the next ten years.

You do understand many of those increases are eaten by inflation right? Ten years is about 33% Medicaid was set to expand, so those numbers are 800 billion short.

The name of the budget...

A New Foundation ForAmerican Greatness :lamo

And now this about TrumpDoesntCare

23 million fewer Americans insured under House GOP bill, says CBO

23 million fewer Americans insured under House GOP bill to repeal Obamacare, says CBO - May. 24, 2017

Last edited:
As someone who works daily with poor seniors and poor disabled people, (including veterans in remote area who depend on Medicare and/or Medicaid) , I certainly hope not.

The Medicaid system has its warts,. But most right wing nuts don't realize that it can protect your assets when your spouse gets sick.

The single biggest threat to your estate, is the cost of Long Term Care.

I see able bodied scum in the super markets with multiple tats , diamond ear rings , piercings , $200 sneakers , gold chains and their handy food stamp card . The very same ones that head to the emergency room when the get a headache from too many drugs , they have no co-pays , no deductibles , and NO worries ! It's the taxpayers that foots the bill !!

I see you failed accounting ! :lol:

Defense is a requirement in the Constitution thus the VA is an authorized expense as it should be.

That's pretty elastic logic. In fact, it's similar to the argument used by the Truman administration and its allies in the '40s when they were pushing the W-M-D bill for universal health care.

At the very least anyone draft-eligible needs to be healthy enough to fight, ergo we need a national health service as a simple matter of national defense.

That's pretty elastic logic. In fact, it's similar to the argument used by the Truman administration and its allies in the '40s when they were pushing the W-M-D bill for universal health care.

At the very least anyone draft-eligible needs to be healthy enough to fight, ergo we need a national health service as a simple matter of national defense.

We have 50 sovereign states with 50 different costs of living and approximately 330 MILLION Americans making healthcare an individual responsibility best handled by the states. All you are doing with a single payer system and a unified budget is giving bureaucrats more clout and more money to spend just like it is now with SS and Medicare on budget

We have 50 sovereign states with 50 different costs of living and approximately 330 MILLION Americans making healthcare an individual responsibility best handled by the states. All you are doing with a single payer system and a unified budget is giving bureaucrats more clout and more money to spend just like it is now with SS and Medicare on budget

Do you believe Medicaid (state-run) is a better program than Medicare (federally-run)? There is an argument to be made there, you just don't hear it much. But it would you seem you have to believe that, given your premise.

Do you believe Medicaid (state-run) is a better program than Medicare (federally-run)? There is an argument to be made there, you just don't hear it much. But it would you seem you have to believe that, given your premise.

I worked for 35 years in the business world, had private insurance until I turned 65 paying into that system. I was forced into Medicare and found my doctor of 25 years didn't take Medicare so had to buy a supplement to keep him thus driving up my costs and that wouldn't be any different with a Universal Healthcare system

As for Medicaid is it funded mostly by federal tax dollars and controlled more by the federal govt. than the states. I believe in states' rights and responsibilities thus let the state decide whether or not they want to participate in Medicaid. When the federal taxdollars stop as they would with ACA then the state has to pick up the costs which means the taxpayers of the state. let them decide before hand if they want Medicaid, some didn't choose to take the expanded Medicaid program including TX

TX has many of its own programs for the uninsured which is what other states can do as well but aren't forced into making those decisions because of the Federal programs. If the federal govt. was going to give me money I would take it to but federal dollars come with federal strings. I prefer giving that power to elected officials in the state that are subject to term limits

Back
Top Bottom