• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Asks for Personal Business Favor During Phone Call With Foreign Leader

Umm I do not believe those laws go into effect until after they are sworn in. Do it too much as President and you will find yourself on the outside looking in, the American People will only turn a blind eye so often before they get pissed.

I am not surprised by the news. I expect him to enrich himself as the president. All the people who wanted an outsider anti elistst were fools.

President-Elect Trump was using his new influence in order to ask for the favor. This is not about Hillary. You can no longer honestly deflect to Hillary.

Yep, best to ignore precedent - sometimes. ;)

He hasn't been sworn in yet, does that law still apply?

And either someone very close to Trump is running to the media with every questionable word he utters, or they're shamelessly making **** up.

A lot of the allegations are based on foreign media, and they're not actually in dispute. Here's a "Storify" on it (series of tweets, lots of them with links to foreign press): https://storify.com/pr01etar1at/getting-started

The basic facts are a venture that Trump's companies are a partner in have been trying to get permits to build a project in Argentina. The lead partners are part of Trump's innner circle and were with his group on election night. For months there have been delays getting the required approvals. A few days after the election, he has a call with Pres. Macri, and what do you know, the next day the Trump group announces they'll break ground in 2017!!

That much appears certain. The only thing missing is a tape recording of Trump asking Macri for this 'favor', from Pres. to Pres, you know, mutual interests, Trump and Argentina.

What office did Trump hold at the time of the call for that clause to apply?

It's good to know you don't care about conflicts of interest as long as it is Trump at the helm that has those conflicts of interest. If you can't see the unethical actions involved with what Trump did as president-elect, you are just going to excuse ANYTHING Trump does.

It's good to know you don't care about conflicts of interest as long as it is Trump at the helm that has those conflicts of interest. If you can't see the unethical actions involved with what Trump did as president-elect, you are just going to excuse ANYTHING Trump does.

OMG Tump got a building permit - impeach him.

BREAKING: Trump Asks For Personal Business Favor During Phone Call With Foreign Leader Say Sources

From the article: If true, Trump could be found guilty of violating the U.S. Constitution under the Emoluments Clause

I'm sure this is either untrue or perfectly OK. At least we'll be told that. Or the source isn't as reliable as Conservative Tree house. Or something. At least we didn't elect the old lady with AIDS.
Do you have any proof or just an unsubstantiated report by a discredited media organazation?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Trump is definitely not my guy but all sorts of "special deals" with foreign nations yield campaign cash to congress critters and other federal "servants" - I doubt they will be quick to throw that first stone. The "just us" system is not likely to get all worked up over Trump getting his fair share special favors.

But it's not campaign cash.... The permit will directly accrue to Trump's personal benefit.

And Trump just spent a year calling Hillary "crooked" for allegedly doing nothing more than that. I guess that was all just for show and Trump didn't have any problem at all with any of what Hillary and Bill are alleged to have done with the Foundation.

And using his position as President Elect for personal gain....but as long as it's Trump, that's ok.
If he did break the law im sure he did not intend too. No reasonable prosecutor would prosecute this case.

And we don't know that it's actually true. But it should concern you.
I cant say i get concerned when the boy who cried wolf continues to call wolf. The media has Lost the benefit of doubt

Conflict of interest: IF president Trump says something like....If you don't approve of "x building with y tax-breaks you will not receive z U.S. AID".

Not a conflict of interest: anything Trump does before or after he is sworn in. Make sense? Also most things his family does as they are not and will not be government employees.

I'm glad I could educate you on how our laws work. You'll be pleased to know that thanks to the Republican controlled HOUSE and Senate/ insider trading is no longer allowed. You should be thanking Republicans for their hardwork and dedication towards bringing ethics to CONGRESS.

Your laws? Conflict of interest is a universal thing. It is irrelevant if Trump pushes for his business before or after he takes office.. it is a conflict of interest regardless. It is especially a conflict of interest if one of his kids who run the company was on the call.

I understand that US right wingers have no clue on what conflict of interest is.. as they keep making stupid assine excuses for their own people who are in conflict of interest. Like it or not, Trump will benefit now and in the future for the call made.. and that is a conflict of interest and frankly borderline breaking the US constitution.

OMG Tump got a building permit - impeach him.

Again, the point goes over your head. Do you understand conflict of interest? Or is that concept to difficult for you to understand while excusing all of Trump's actions?

Okay the article is from a leftist webnews page called "news.groopspeak", quoting Talking Points Memo as a source. Why are we even discussing this?

According to a report in the Argentinian paper La Nacion, as well as sources at Talking Points Memo, they say such a phone call did, indeed, take place.

BREAKING: Trump Asks For Personal Business Favor During Phone Call With Foreign Leader Say Sources

From the article: If true, Trump could be found guilty of violating the U.S. Constitution under the Emoluments Clause

I'm sure this is either untrue or perfectly OK. At least we'll be told that. Or the source isn't as reliable as Conservative Tree house. Or something. At least we didn't elect the old lady with AIDS.

If only you leftists had cared when the corruption was taking place in the Clinton camp you might have some credibility. But you didn't, so you don't.

Okay the article is from a leftist webnews page called "news.groopspeak", quoting Talking Points Memo as a source. Why are we even discussing this?

For the same reason there a threads using DailyCaller and Breitbart. It's the age of bad sources.

He hasn't been sworn in yet, does that law still apply?

And either someone very close to Trump is running to the media with every questionable word he utters, or they're shamelessly making **** up.
That's a good question. One I am confident will be resolved fairly soon. You are going to be seeing a lot about this line of attack, the usual suspects have already issued the marching orders!
Donald Trump and the Emoluments Clause, explained - Vox

Do you have any proof or just an unsubstantiated report by a discredited media organazation?

Is the source discredited, or is it just that they said something negative about your Messiah?

If only you leftists had cared when the corruption was taking place in the Clinton camp you might have some credibility. But you didn't, so you don't.

And if only you rightists cared when it wasn't the Clintons, you might have some credibility.

But I understand that you must deflect anything negative about His Holiness.

Your laws? Conflict of interest is a universal thing. It is irrelevant if Trump pushes for his business before or after he takes office.. it is a conflict of interest regardless. It is especially a conflict of interest if one of his kids who run the company was on the call.

I understand that US right wingers have no clue on what conflict of interest is.. as they keep making stupid assine excuses for their own people who are in conflict of interest. Like it or not, Trump will benefit now and in the future for the call made.. and that is a conflict of interest and frankly borderline breaking the US constitution.

They understand conflict of interest. They just think it only applies to liberals.

But it's not campaign cash.... The permit will directly accrue to Trump's personal benefit.

And Trump just spent a year calling Hillary "crooked" for allegedly doing nothing more than that. I guess that was all just for show and Trump didn't have any problem at all with any of what Hillary and Bill are alleged to have done with the Foundation.

As if campaign cash is not for personal benefit. ;)

It may turn out not to be true. But if we don't believe any news source simply because they say something bad about Trump, we'll never get actual news.

And using his position as President Elect for personal gain....but as long as it's Trump, that's ok.

what position did he hold to break the law.
president elect is not a position in government.

what position did he hold to break the law.
president elect is not a position in government.

So as President, he'll be a totally different person?

Back
Top Bottom