• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces the US won't go after Assad and he gasses his own people to thank him

Re: Trump announces the US won't go after Assad and he gasses his own people to thank

Look at all the folks beating the war drums.

Why don't some of you march right on down to the recruiting office while you are at it, and then demand follow up orders to Syria after boot camp.

Re: Trump announces the US won't go after Assad and he gasses his own people to thank

He did nothing except get rid of Assad's sarin stockpiles. Just think how much worse it would be if he still had them. Chlorine gas is horrid but Sarin is much worse.

That's your Obama defense and justification to attack Trump? Really?

McCain is a patriot above all and you know it. Trump is selling us out to Putin and he is calling him on it.

Well, you had your opportunity to vote in McCain as president and you didn't take it, so your praise for him now doesn't hold much water. Plus, I doubt you would support McCains military prescription for Syria anyway. Finally, I am pretty sure that Trump said during the campaign that he had no intention of ousting Assad and preferred leaving the Syrian mess to the Russians.

I admittedly feel dirty having just read the Kos. But putting aside the usual "Ooooh fake partisan news!" **** that no doubt the citizens of Trump nation will share, this is certainly concerning. I didn't know Trump said that about Assad and I don't know that I understand his reasoning. And as always, my heart goes out to those people who are living under the regime of a monster who by comparison makes Saddam Hussein look nice.

On the other hand, Assad is only a secondary nastiness and a Euro-Arabian problem. The real thugs are in Moscow and Téhéran.

And that is why Trumpsters do nothing but bad mouth McCain, real Republicans know the score on Comrade Trump.

Real Republicans didn't support Trump. No real Republican would support a man who was a major contributor to people like Chuck Schumer, a man who supported Hillary Clinton's bid for the Presidency in 2008, a man who until he decided to dupe the easily duped into voting for him held beliefs that were in line with the Democrats, a man who said after Sandy Hook that President Obama "spoke for" him when he called for strict gun control, a man whose brain (aka Steve Bannon) is a Leninite who wants to destroy the Republican infrastructure. I can go on and on.

The Trump devotees are not Republicans and are not conservatives.

Yeah...they are all confused on that. Obama is the step-daddy of ISIS and a contributor to one of the biggest humanitarian disasters in modern history.

Ah, glad to see you embrace Trump so sharply. Trump proclaimed that he knew "more about ISIS than the generals". Interestingly enough, nobody has seen any evidence of this incredible knowledge of ISIS. Of course, none of you will call him on that either.

This is fun. It's 2009 all over again, when the Obamabots blamed George W. Bush for every single thing that was wrong in the world, and didn't want their guy to take any responsibility for anything. History repeats itself, only the Obamabots have been replaced by the Trumpbots.

Right and Hillary the "war monger" is backing him up. You sound like another Russian troll. Putin is the aggressor here not us. He needs to back down or be put down. Oh and you just got "outed"....

1,000 Paid Russian Trolls Spread Fake News On Hillary Clinton, Senate Intelligence Heads Told | The Huffington Post

And what are your thoughts on these revelations?

Democrat Propaganda Group Shareblue Has Ties To Chinese Government, Host Of Foreign Special Interests | Zero Hedge

It's not an affinity for Trump. It's an affinity for reasonable and considered discussion on the topic at hand.

In answer to your question, yes, when Trump says I'm not going to tell my enemy when and where I'm going to attack them I figure he means it. The guy has a penchant for exaggeration and self aggrandizement. That doesn't mean he's a liar or a cheat or a sexual predator or a racist or a xenophobe or crazy or even erratic. He's also got a ****load of people between him and US tanks on the streets of Damascus so let's all settle down, really, honestly, consider the situation and then, if everyone still feels the need to **** themselves I say they go for it.

With regard to Assad gassing people, let's see what Trump does. The last guy didn't do a damned thing so, bottom line, Trump can't do any less than that.

That doesn't mean he's a liar? So do you consider Donald Trump more or less honest than an average politician or the same? Do you think when he says he has a great plan and has really carefully considered his best strategy in Syria that he means it or do you think he's just going to do whatever the generals around him say?

And then Spicer blames Obama. You can't make this stuff up. Trump just gave Assad the green light to use chemical weapons and can't do a thing about it because it will upset his boss Putin. The sooner we get Trump out of office the better. Pence will be just a placeholder until 2020.

Trump announces U.S. won't go after Assad, Assad thanks him by gassing his own people

So you want war, the problem is, the rebels, are islamic extremists, many of them, and would then become part of isis. While the gassing is horrendous, arming people who also want to kill you is how we get into trouble in the first place. Trump, and the US actually had the same reaction as the rest of the western world. what more should be expected of us?

Should we send in troops into that environment, to help pro fundamentalist islamicists overthrough a brutal dictator? what then? what should we do?

LOL Obama got Assad to get rid of his Sarin stockpiles. Trump says the Syrian people will decide on Assad. Who sounds weaker?

Assad is still there. Is still in power. Still gassing his own people, though in a civil war theoretically his own people could well be the enemy. The red line. however, has blown away.

It would seem the last President didn't do all that well either.

And Vox carries on.

Jeez people...do you even think before you decide? Or do you just believe whatever the MSM says (question is rhetorical - the answer is obviously the latter).

Just as the BIG gas bombing by Assad before that almost brought Obama into the war was clearly not by him (despite what some international group said - there was TONS of evidence that pointed to the rebels did it to try and drag America directly into the war...and it almost worked).

Now this one...which the Russians say was an airstrike hit a terrorist/rebel weapons manufacturing facility...though they cannot prove it.

Whatever the truth...why in God's name would Assad do this? Especially now?

BTW, I think Trump is a buffoon...but he is dead right here, imo. Trump backing off overthrowing Assad is the right move...the people of Syria should decide that for themselves...no matter how much of a jerk/asshole/beast he is. At least Trump seems to be wise enough on this to realize that overthrowing Saddam and Gaddafi were MASSIVE mistakes as it ended up leaving their countries as fractured, complete messes...one he is wisely not willing to repeat on Assad.
Or maybe he just owes Putin a favor...I dunno. But it is the right thing to do.

Anyway, many of you are saying that suddenly when Assad is in this better position - he is going to throw it ALL away by using chemical weapons on a small town? That gains him NOTHING tactically and loses him EVERYTHING strategically? Jeez people...THINK. He knows the international fallout that would bring. He knows it risks dragging Trump back into it. He knows it gains him NOTHING and costs him everything. Why the hell would he do that? Now of all times?
That makes zero sense...ZIP.
What does make sense is that the rebels - once again - caused this on their own people to try and drag Trump/the international community back into the war against Assad. They know that without America they will eventually lose (Turkey and Saudi Arabia - who hate Assad - cannot match Russia's contribution unless they ramp their involvements WAY up; which is doubtful). And if they did, it is - so far - working as everyone is freaking out about it and assuming Assad MUST have done it...despite any proof yet.

This whole thing makes no sense whatsoever that Assad did it...none. A crime needs a motive. And there is none here - not for Assad.

Assad is a scumbag...but he is a relatively smart scumbag. To think that he would suddenly decide to gas a small town - knowing the gigantic international backlash it would bring - just when things look there brightest for him in years - is beyond illogical. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

I am convinced that either the rebels did this deliberately (again) or Assad's planes hit a chemical weapons factory...but there is no way I am believing Assad did it without an unbiased and intelligent source that factually proves it.

And save your theories why Assad did it...I probably have heard them all before...and none of them wash here. NONE.

Last edited:

That doesn't mean he's a liar? So do you consider Donald Trump more or less honest than an average politician or the same? Do you think when he says he has a great plan and has really carefully considered his best strategy in Syria that he means it or do you think he's just going to do whatever the generals around him say?

My guess is that Trump is going to be more prone to assess the military reality of what's happening in places like Syria than politicians before him were. I believe that his objective will be peace, not a political "win".

My guess is that Trump is going to be more prone to assess the military reality of what's happening in places like Syria than politicians before him were. I believe that his objective will be peace, not a political "win".

Meaning?

And btw, you ignored most of the questions.

Meaning?

And btw, you ignored most of the questions.

You mean the "liar" stuff?

Trump exaggerates and uses metonymy a lot. That's not the same as lying. Does he lie? I'm sure he does. We all do. Does he do it more than other politicians? I really don't think so. Most politicians are professional liars.

You mean the "liar" stuff?

Trump exaggerates and uses metonymy a lot. That's not the same as lying. Does he lie? I'm sure he does. We all do. Does he do it more than other politicians? I really don't think so. Most politicians are professional liars.

So far what I've gathered is that you don't think that trump lies anymore than other politicians, it's merely "exaggerating", and that we shouldn't worry about how erratic he is because he doesn't have complete 100% authority over starting wars.

So far what I've gathered is that you don't think that trump lies anymore than other politicians, it's merely "exaggerating", and that we shouldn't worry about how erratic he is because he doesn't have complete 100% authority over starting wars.

That's a fair assessment except that I figure you should worry about whatever you feel a need to worry about...no matter how useless that worry is.

Given that nobody has a crystal ball, I don't think anybody knew the weapons were going to end up in the wrong hands.

Then they aren't paying attention to the reality that has existed for 15 years now.

And yet, no strongman has ever been able to do anything but kick the can down the road for a few years. Eventually brutality catches up to you.

Well, they did pretty well for a long time and most of the problems were made worse by western intervention. Syria would have been done and over with in months, with significant less death and suffering if we had stayed out of it.

The difference is that the international community is a lot more committed to Syria than they were to Libya.

By international community you mean the U.S. military spending another decade+ in occupation and fighting an insurgency that will still have a bunch of people killed and then start falling apart as soon as we leave?

The side of human decency which is not Putin's or Assads side.

Ah...so you prefer ISIS. Good to know.

Again with the Putin talking points. Putin is the one going to war and is counting on Trump and his buddy Tillerson to look the other way. Not going to happen, this country is far bigger that they are. We will not stand for more annexation.

You aren't going to stand up to ****, unless you're going to volunteer to stand on my left or right. Sorry, but I don't like being your prosthetic penis.

That's a fair assessment except that I figure you should worry about whatever you feel a need to worry about...no matter how useless that worry is.

Well, to say I disagree is an understatement, but ok. Exaggeration sounds like a nice term for "he's lying, but he agrees with me politically so I'll call it exaggeration". How you can be so cavalier about the president spreading misinformation so readily and quickly without ever questioning the veracity of anything is pretty amazing to me.

Well, to say I disagree is an understatement, but ok. Exaggeration sounds like a nice term for "he's lying, but he agrees with me politically so I'll call it exaggeration". How you can be so cavalier about the president spreading misinformation so readily and quickly without ever questioning the veracity of anything is pretty amazing to me.

Really? We just came through 8 years of a president who constantly exaggerated about race issues, economic class issues, Middle East issues, etc. We've got people freaking out over gender identity issues and "homophobia" because someone doesn't want to bake a cake for a gay couple. We've got the most massive outbreak of politically induced Russophobia I've ever seen and the fact that you're worried about Trump so much is part and parcel of a media induced, lying temper tantrum about the guy.....yet it's always the other guy who's crazy.

People need to back off this **** before something irreversible happens. It's one thing to question Trump's opinions and/or actions but it's another thing entirely to believe that he, personally, is dangerous.

Ah, glad to see you embrace Trump so sharply. Trump proclaimed that he knew "more about ISIS than the generals". Interestingly enough, nobody has seen any evidence of this incredible knowledge of ISIS. Of course, none of you will call him on that either.

Trump doesn't know anything, either, and he doesn't have anything to do with it, so I don't see why you brought him up.

This is fun. It's 2009 all over again, when the Obamabots blamed George W. Bush for every single thing that was wrong in the world, and didn't want their guy to take any responsibility for anything. History repeats itself, only the Obamabots have been replaced by the Trumpbots.

Sorry, this wasn't something that just popped up at the end of Obama's term. This was ongoing and it has been criticized by many for a while. Obama created the environment for ISIS to thrive and then armed and supplied very questionable groups of people.

A 2012 DIA report even predicted the rise of an Islamic State if the region was destabilized and what did we do? We contributed to it's destabilization.

Trump doesn't know anything, either, and he doesn't have anything to do with it, so I don't see why you brought him up.

Sorry, this wasn't something that just popped up at the end of Obama's term. This was ongoing and it has been criticized by many for a while. Obama created the environment for ISIS to thrive and then armed and supplied very questionable groups of people.

A 2012 DIA report even predicted the rise of an Islamic State if the region was destabilized and what did we do? We contributed to it's destabilization.

I brought Trump up because his name is in the subject line. :roll:

Really? We just came through 8 years of a president who constantly exaggerated about race issues, economic class issues, Middle East issues, etc. We've got people freaking out over gender identity issues and "homophobia" because someone doesn't want to bake a cake for a gay couple. We've got the most massive outbreak of politically induced Russophobia I've ever seen and the fact that you're worried about Trump so much is part and parcel of a media induced, lying temper tantrum about the guy.....yet it's always the other guy who's crazy.

People need to back off this **** before something irreversible happens. It's one thing to question Trump's opinions and/or actions but it's another thing entirely to believe that he, personally, is dangerous.

Lol, to attack Obama you bring up a cake that he had nothing to do with. It sounds like you're struggling to really compare the two. It's so different as to be laughable. I have no idea how anyone can really think that Obama and Trump are on equal footing in terms of exaggeration and lying.

https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera/videos/10155390990138690/?pnref=story

I know some other people refrained from posting videos of the attacks but screw that I think people should watch this to grasp the enormity of it.

Honestly, the situation over there is FUBAR, I don't really think there is much Obama could have done or Trump can do to affect the socio-political situation.

What we can and should be doing is providing refuge to as many of these people as we can. The terrorist threat to us from refugees is practically non-existent. We have the resources to help these people and shame on us for not doing so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom