• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump announces the US won't go after Assad and he gasses his own people to thank him

iguanaman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Re: Trump announces the US won't go after Assad and he gasses his own people to thank

And then Spicer blames Obama. You can't make this stuff up. Trump just gave Assad the green light to use chemical weapons and can't do a thing about it because it will upset his boss Putin. The sooner we get Trump out of office the better. Pence will be just a placeholder until 2020.

Trump announces U.S. won't go after Assad, Assad thanks him by gassing his own people

I admittedly feel dirty having just read the Kos. But putting aside the usual "Ooooh fake partisan news!" **** that no doubt the citizens of Trump nation will share, this is certainly concerning. I didn't know Trump said that about Assad and I don't know that I understand his reasoning. And as always, my heart goes out to those people who are living under the regime of a monster who by comparison makes Saddam Hussein look nice.

Re: Trump announces the US won't go after Assad and he gasses his own people to thank

The time to have influenced the outcome of this civil war was in or around 2012 or so. Then we had a shot without committing or putting our soldiers lives on the line there. That time has passed. Since the use of chemical weapons was apparently within the last 24 hours, I think it might be a little early for the response some seem to be looking for. And I'm giving myself a star for not mentioning Obama. Wait. :doh

And then Spicer blames Obama. You can't make this stuff up. Trump just gave Assad the green light to use chemical weapons and can't do a thing about it because it will upset his boss Putin. The sooner we get Trump out of office the better. Pence will be just a placeholder until 2020.

Trump announces U.S. won't go after Assad, Assad thanks him by gassing his own people

It's becoming painfully obvious that Trump admires tyrants.

Yep. They sensed the weakness in the Trump regime, and took advantage of it.

The time to have influenced the outcome of this civil war was in or around 2012 or so. Then we had a shot without committing or putting our soldiers lives on the line there. That time has passed. Since the use of chemical weapons was apparently within the last 24 hours, I think it might be a little early for the response some seem to be looking for. And I'm giving myself a star for not mentioning Obama. Wait. :doh

McCain had the best response...
Republican Sen. John McCain told CNN's Alisyn Camerota there was more than enough blame to go around for Obama and Trump.
The Arizona Republican compared Trump's lack of action to that of the Obama administration, saying neither president took the situation seriously enough.
"We've seen this movie before, when Barack Obama said they would have a red line and they crossed it and he did nothing," he said on "New Day."
But McCain also had scathing criticism for Trump, saying: "Bashar Assad and his friends, the Russians, take note of what Americans say. I'm sure they took note of what our secretary of state said just the other day that the Syrian people would be determining their own future themselves -- one of the more incredible statements I've ever heard."
"I'm sure they are encouraged to know the United States is withdrawing and seeking a new arrangement with the Russians," he added. "It is another disgraceful chapter in American history and it was predictable."

Spicer: Syrian chemical attack a 'consequence' of Obama 'weakness' - CNNPolitics.com

I admittedly feel dirty having just read the Kos. But putting aside the usual "Ooooh fake partisan news!" **** that no doubt the citizens of Trump nation will share, this is certainly concerning. I didn't know Trump said that about Assad and I don't know that I understand his reasoning. And as always, my heart goes out to those people who are living under the regime of a monster who by comparison makes Saddam Hussein look nice.

Trump's reasoning: Assad is an ally of Putin. Everything leads back to Russia.

Instead of Trump, think of it as Putin in the White House. It's becoming increasingly the reality.

I think Trump has been pretty clear regarding not broadcasting his military strategies. I'd also suggest that those readers who choose to view this kind of thing objectively peruse the Newsweek article which covers, essentially, the same issue. - Are Trump and Tillerson Letting Syria?s Assad Off the Hook?

I think Trump has been pretty clear regarding not broadcasting his military strategies. I'd also suggest that those readers who choose to view this kind of thing objectively peruse the Newsweek article which covers, essentially, the same issue. - Are Trump and Tillerson Letting Syria?s Assad Off the Hook?

Except in this case he did. With other countries like North Korea, you are right, he didn't take anything off the table. So why do it in the case of Syria? It just emboldens them.

That was written before the gas attack and the lack of any coherent response except blaming it all on Obama. At least Obama got rid of the regimes Sarin gas stockpiles so now they are using industrial chlorine gas instead. Will Trump respond to this result of HIS weakness or is he even weaker than Obama? When it comes to standing up to Assad (and Putin) I suspect he is weaker.

Last edited:

Give me a break. DailyPuk?

So this is what the widdle Proglibs are being instructed to believe.

"Just days ago, Donald Trump announced that the U.S. no longer had any problem with the regime of Syrian president, and Russian ally, Bashar Assad​

What a complete line of fabricated BS. No longer has a problem?

Absolutely astonishing that anyone would believe the ooze Kos squeezes out of its cesspool

I have to ask Luther. You seem intelligent on most topics though we disagree on many, but I just don't understand your affinity for Trump.

Do you honestly think, and I'm being sincere here, do you honestly think that when Trump says "I have a great plan, but I can't tell you, because I don't want the enemy to know, but I have the best plan", do you really think he's being sincere or do you agree with me that it's the same as what he did with health care? Claim he had an amazing plan that would make everything better, then never tell anyone anything about his plan and tried to let someone else come up with a plan, supported it by saying it's great, and then distancing himself when it was an absolute failure. I just don't understand how anyone could honestly think he sincerely has a grand plan regarding things like Syria but he just won't tell anybody.

Give me a break. DailyPuk?

So this is what the widdle Proglibs are being instructed to believe.

"Just days ago, Donald Trump announced that the U.S. no longer had any problem with the regime of Syrian president, and Russian ally, Bashar Assad​

What a complete line of fabricated BS. No longer has a problem?

Absolutely astonishing that anyone would believe the ooze Kos squeezes out of its cesspool

Yawn...Here's the same story on CNN

Despite the attack, the Trump administration has said that it is up to the people of Syria to pick a leader and that their priority is not getting Assad out of office.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on a trip to Turkey that the "longer-term status of President Assad will be decided by the Syrian people."
And in New York, US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley was even stronger about the Trump administration's decision not to push for Assad's departure.
"Our priority is no longer to sit and focus on getting Assad out
," Haley told wire reporters last week, according to AFP.
"Do we think he's a hindrance? Yes," she said. "Are we going to sit there and focus on getting him out? No."
Spicer: Syrian chemical attack a 'consequence' of Obama 'weakness' - CNNPolitics.com

Remember when Obama drew his red line in the sand, Assad gassed his people, and Obama went in and kicked ass because leftists demanded it?

Yeah...me neither.

Remember when Obama drew his red line in the sand, Assad gassed his people, and Obama went in and kicked ass because leftists demanded it?

Yeah...me neither.

Obama got Assad to give up his Sarin at least. Trump thinks Assad can stay...

For those who attempt to engage larger portions of their brain, the reason for the shift in policy is obvious. But without going through the whole thread, I'm sure that has been pointed out multiple times already.

For those who depend on alt-left outlets like DailyKos, they're instructed to believe the change in focus means "no longer has any problem with the regime of Syrian president". I can't imagine what it takes to believe that.

Having signed up for their email notices, I've been following the gutter tripe of Kos for years. I am not surprised at any of the lies they attract the minnows with. I'm just surprised at how many people are willing to admit they get their sustenance from them.

I'm shocked that McCain didn't have something good to say about Trump or his evil minions.

McCain is a patriot above all and you know it. Trump is selling us out to Putin and he is calling him on it.

Obama got Assad to give up his Sarin at least. Trump thinks Assad can stay...
whoooooo boy...apparently that was all kinds of effective, wasnt it? I mean...red lines...that usually means someone is getting their ass kicked, but in Obamas case, Assad is still there (are you missing that part?) AND apparently using chemical weapons.

And you didnt say dick back then when it was Obama. Now...its..."TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUMPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!"

For those who attempt to engage larger portions of their brain, the reason for the shift in policy is obvious. But without going through the whole thread, I'm sure that has been pointed out multiple times already.

For those who depend on alt-left outlets like DailyKos, they're instructed to believe the change in focus means "no longer has any problem with the regime of Syrian president". I can't imagine what it takes to believe that.

Having signed up for their email notices, I've been following the gutter tripe of Kos for years. I am not surprised at any of the lies they attract the minnows with. I'm just surprised at how many people are willing to admit they get their sustenance from them.

Yawn...Funny but I think the exact same thing about Breitbart and Bannon. I gave you a mainstream link that said the same thing and you go on and on about nothing.

In all fairness Assad is probably going to say when its all said and done.
But Trump just sitting around and bitching about Obama and blaming it all on Obama shows he essentially doesnt have a policy on Syria.
Also Syria has been a proxy war since the beginning. Probably would like the same as it is today with any other President.

whoooooo boy...apparently that was all kinds of effective, wasnt it? I mean...red lines...that usually means someone is getting their ass kicked, but in Obamas case, Assad is still there (are you missing that part?) AND apparently using chemical weapons.

And you didnt say dick back then when it was Obama. Now...its..."TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUMPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!"

LOL I bet you complained about Obama being weak and now Trump is even weaker and you are in heaven. Can you say hypocrite?

I have to ask Luther. You seem intelligent on most topics though we disagree on many, but I just don't understand your affinity for Trump.

Do you honestly think, and I'm being sincere here, do you honestly think that when Trump says "I have a great plan, but I can't tell you, because I don't want the enemy to know, but I have the best plan", do you really think he's being sincere or do you agree with me that it's the same as what he did with health care? Claim he had an amazing plan that would make everything better, then never tell anyone anything about his plan and tried to let someone else come up with a plan, supported it by saying it's great, and then distancing himself when it was an absolute failure. I just don't understand how anyone could honestly think he sincerely has a grand plan regarding things like Syria but he just won't tell anybody.

It's not an affinity for Trump. It's an affinity for reasonable and considered discussion on the topic at hand.

In answer to your question, yes, when Trump says I'm not going to tell my enemy when and where I'm going to attack them I figure he means it. The guy has a penchant for exaggeration and self aggrandizement. That doesn't mean he's a liar or a cheat or a sexual predator or a racist or a xenophobe or crazy or even erratic. He's also got a ****load of people between him and US tanks on the streets of Damascus so let's all settle down, really, honestly, consider the situation and then, if everyone still feels the need to **** themselves I say they go for it.

With regard to Assad gassing people, let's see what Trump does. The last guy didn't do a damned thing so, bottom line, Trump can't do any less than that.

It is far from clear what President Trump could do about Assad. Syria is in a civil war, and it should not be surprising that involves the regime's forces killing other Syrians. The fact they used poison gas to do the killing does not necessarily mean they caused more suffering than they would have if they had used conventional explosives to burn people to death or blow them to pieces.

The U.S. has gotten rid of most of its chemical weapons, not because of squeamishness about using them, but largely because they were not considered useful enough to justify keeping a stockpile of them. This country has chosen to rely on conventional and nuclear weapons to serve its military needs. Syria's military does not have particularly strong conventional forces, and Assad apparently does not have enough confidence in them to rely on them alone to defend his regime.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom