• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump’s Attempt to Circumvent Congress Leaves Uneasy Senate Republicans With Hard Choice

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump’s Attempt to Circumvent Congress Leaves Uneasy Senate Republicans With Hard Choice

th

2/16/19
WASHINGTON — Senator Shelley Moore Capito, Republican of West Virginia, spent the last two weeks hammering out a deal on federal spending and border security with colleagues from both parties, reassured by a sense that Congress was finally asserting itself as a civil, stabilizing force. The feeling did not last. On Friday, President Trump mounted one of the most serious executive branch challenges to congressional authority in decades, circumventing Congress with an emergency declaration. It would allow him to unilaterally divert billions of dollars to a border wall and presented his Republican allies on Capitol Hill, who labored on a legislative compromise, with the excruciating choice of either defending their institution or bowing to his whims. The president’s move left Senate Republicans sharply divided, and it remains to be seen whether they will act collectively to try to stop Mr. Trump or how far into uncharted territory they are willing to follow a headstrong president operating with no road map beyond his own demands. The Republican resistance to Mr. Trump’s emergency declaration was much more pronounced in the Senate than in the House. After threatening to kill the spending compromise needed to keep the government open, Mr. Trump opted to cite a national emergency to pry loose additional funding to build a wall longer than the 55 miles in the bipartisan agreement. It was the divisive step that Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, Ms. Capito and most other Republicans in the Senate had forcefully urged him not to take, because it would establish a precedent they feared future Democratic presidents would use against them.

The decision left Mr. McConnell, a professed guardian of the Senate’s prerogatives and power, joining with Mr. Trump in supporting an executive branch end run greater than any of the incursions into the legislative process he often accused President Obama of pursuing. Some top Republicans, led by Mr. McConnell, pivoted quickly to say they supported the president’s action because it was the only option left to him after Congress failed to meet his demands for wall funding. But Mr. McConnell is also warning Mr. Trump of the damage it could inflict on the party heading into the 2020 elections. Other Republicans portrayed it as a gross violation of the constitutional separation of powers, a blatant disregard by the president for Congress’s fundamental role in determining how federal dollars are spent. “He is usurping congressional authority,” Senator Susan Collins of Maine, a veteran member of the Appropriations Committee, said in an interview. “If the president can reallocate for his purposes billions of dollars in federal funding that Congress has approved for specific purposes and have been signed into law, that has the potential to render the appropriations process meaningless.” Ms. Capito said she would spend the holiday weekend weighing what to do next. She encouraged Mr. Trump to do the same. “He’s got to ask himself, ‘What are the ramifications of what I’m doing?’” she said. “If the resolution comes from the House to the Senate, where are those votes going to fall? What does that do to my momentum? He’s got to be considering that, I’m certain. Maybe he’s willing to take whatever could happen, maybe that’s not bothering him.”

Caring only about his own political optics, Trump has put the GOP in the onerous position of degrading their own Constitutional powers.

Will the GOP suddenly discover a spine? I highly doubt it.

th

Caring only about his own political optics, Trump has put the GOP in the onerous position of degrading their own Constitutional powers.

They'll wait to see if the hate of brown people can convince voters in their party to forgo the concern for constitutional protection of separation of power. I'd say that's a 50-50 proposition right now.

But, the more racism which is exposed on that side of the aisle the better.

th

Out of curiosity, do you believe that the Executive branch should be allowed to enforce the laws enacted by the Legislative branch or are you more of the opinion that the Executive branch should really have no power, aside from veto, and that the Legislative branch should hold all ability to write law, enforce law and interpret law?

th

I doubt it also. In the end, their obsequious loyalty to Trump will see them cede power to a wanna-be authoritarian. In addition, there exists the strong possibility that if the Courts side with Trump, this expansion of power will come back with a vengeance to bit Republicans in the posterior down the road when a Democratic President employs it in a cause despised and opposed by Republicans.

I would advise all to read FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley and see what happened when Victor created his pride and joy only to have it soon develop into a monster which kills his love and then tries to kill him. Eventually Victor is destroyed.

The Republicans are creating a monster and his name is not Frankenstein - but TRUMP.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, do you believe that the Executive branch should be allowed to enforce the laws enacted by the Legislative branch or are you more of the opinion that the Executive branch should really have no power, aside from veto, and that the Legislative branch should hold all ability to write law, enforce law and interpret law?

Ah, so you support impeaching him for not enforcing congressional imposed sanctions on Russia.

Foreign Affairs chair says Trump is ignoring sanctions on Russia for former spy poisoning

Welcome aboard the Derail Traitorous Don Train.

False choice.

This is going to be an interesting show. Let's just watch and enjoy to the extent possible. Rules will be bent, and that will make them more flexible in the future.:2razz:

Ah, so you support impeaching him for not enforcing congressional imposed sanctions on Russia.

Foreign Affairs chair says Trump is ignoring sanctions on Russia for former spy poisoning

Welcome aboard the Derail Traitorous Don Train.

I would suggest that there is a long standing and extensive history of the Executive branch implementing and enforcing the laws which the Legislative branch created. The prior administration was LAUDED for acting on that precedent (does the term DACA ring a bell?) while this administration is being excoriated for it.

I would suggest that the hypocrisy of the Democrat party and many of their supporters has reached epic proportions.

Wow!!!

Even for you that's a stretch.

From a challenge in ONE area, we move to an entire and complete obliteration of ALL laws.

Ahem, I am certain there are more than two all encompassing blanket directions

:lamo

Of the 30 declared presidential national emergencies still active since 1978, none involve national emergencies within the US.

circumvent Congress?
What is a president to do when Congress will not uphold their oath to the Constitution to secure our borders?

In 2017 more people died of drug overdoses mainly opiods such as heroin in the U.S. than all the Americans died during the Vietnam war.

Drug overdoses killed more Americans last year than the Vietnam War - CBS News

And these numbers continue to rise as how cheap heroin and fentanyl are on the street that is POURING through our southern border.

How many have to die before you morons admit it is a crisis we face as a nation? Right now many states are being forced to address legislation to disclose all housing once occupied by drug users and dealers as well as car rentals because the residue from fentanyl can be lethal. A grain no larger than salt can kill a person.

Have any of you viewed some of the fencing already along the border? If you have you would learn that there are a good number of miles that were erected to keep vehicles from driving across the border but they are certainly not adequate enough to keep people out. Arizona's border fencing is the worst in my opinion.

It costs taxpayers 100 billion state and federal over illegal immigration every year. When will you morons accept the fact that it is a crisis in cost? When it hits 200 billion, 300 billion?
It costs taxpayers billions every year over opiods pouring through the Southern border. But I have a feeling the morons on this forum don't pay much taxes and are more than happy to saddle the next generation with the tab because they are selfish arses.

The number of sex trafficking is way up in the past months. When will that become a crisis to you? Will it be if it is your daughter or granddaughter then you might find it to be a crisis then? What about gangs and bad people getting in? Will you only find that a crisis when they harm someone you love?

G-d help us.

Wait...

Am I supposed to care about butt-hurt Congressional Elites?
Everyone knew what Trump wanted and that garbage was what they offered him at the last minute. Frankly trump should not of signed anything until his staff fully read the whoe thing. Not that congress needs any help in mak8ng themselves look bad because they do a good job of thatvall on their own. Thats the part they dont seem to get. These stunts make themnlook bad not Trump.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

th

Still IN SHOCK over the POTUS BITCH SLAPPING Chuckie n' Nancy, we see.....

For the UMPTEENTH TIME...the President DOES NOT NEED Congressional approval to declare a National Emergency (like I've been saying here for WEEKS) . nor does he need it to RE-ALLOCATE EXECUTIVE BRANCH FUNDS.

Loving watching Chuck n Nancy ...as they realize that DESPITE THEIR EFFORTS to abet illegals entering our nation, all they can do about Trump's master stroke...is CRY.

kicking_screaming.jpg

Of the 30 declared presidential national emergencies still active since 1978, none involve national emergencies within the US.

And none involve the Congress turning down a financial request from a President and then him using the fig leaf of the Emergencies Act to get what Congress would not give him.

They'll wait to see if the hate of brown people can convince voters in their party to forgo the concern for constitutional protection of separation of power. I'd say that's a 50-50 proposition right now.

But, the more racism which is exposed on that side of the aisle the better.
Maybe they should all dress in blackface to show they are not racists like the democrats do

I doubt it also. In the end, their obsequious loyalty to Trump will see them cede power to a wanna-be authoritarian. In addition, there exists the strong possibility that if the Courts side with Trump, this expansion of power will come back with a vengeance to bit Republicans in the posterior down the road when a Democratic President employs it in a cause despised and opposed by Republicans.

I would advise all to read FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley and see what happened when Victor created his pride and joy only to have it soon develop into a monster which kills his love and then tries to kill him. Eventually Victor is destroyed.

The Republicans are creating a monster and his name is not Frankenstein - but TRUMP.
Complete and utter nonsense. The democrats already have a history of ignoring laws to force their political will onto everyone. Obama has a long record of thumbing his nose at congress. Trump isnt doing anything new.

What is a president to do when Congress will not uphold their oath to the Constitution to secure our borders?

Congress considered border security and passed funding CR's they were comfortable with. Funding is the prerogative of Congress, not Donald Trump.

I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Are you suggesting that it's only OK to declare a national emergency for events occurring outside the borders of the nation?

I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Are you suggesting that it's only OK to declare a national emergency for events occurring outside the borders of the nation?

I'm not suggesting anything. Just telling you fact.

Still IN SHOCK over the POTUS BITCH SLAPPING Chuckie n' Nancy, we see.....

For the UMPTEENTH TIME...the President DOES NOT NEED Congressional approval to declare a National Emergency (like I've been saying here for WEEKS) . nor does he need it to RE-ALLOCATE EXECUTIVE BRANCH FUNDS.

Loving watching Chuck n Nancy ...as they realize that DESPITE THEIR EFFORTS to abet illegals entering our nation, all they can do about Trump's master stroke...is CRY.

Realistically, while no other president needed congressional approval for this kind of thing we're dealing with Trump and the political reaction to him has been 180° different than with other presidents. There is a good chance that Roberts will side with the liberal wing of the Supreme Court and create a new rule that, essentially, nullifies this law (but just for Trump).

This just in-

Trump bellying up to the omelette station at National Emergency Headquarters in Mar-a-lago.

2f9306a42a15f2539cb7dba2cec23be5.jpg

Thank god he’s putting his all into this serious crisis.

Back
Top Bottom