• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This Is Medicare For All

Just like gun control, I get tired of both sides not getting to the root cause of the problems. I slap them both in the face and refuse to accept their stupid solutions which will do very little for both problems. I am 100% against taking millions of people's health insurance away that they are happy with and telling them they will have to accept a whole new ballgame.

I think that if we were going to do something with universal healthcare, it shouldn't be single payer. Hickenlooper talks about how this can be done so that people with insurance that like their insurance can keep their insurance. It's probably the better way to go if Universal Healthcare is where we go. Hickenlooper got Colorado's uninsured down to something like 6% when he was governor.

Many people do have very good health insurance, but the trend these days is for high deductible plans so that people end up paying for the privilege of paying for healthcare. I think the days of good employer-provided insurance may be limited.

And that and the fact that no one is looking at our root causes for healthcare prices is a major reason why so many are responding positively to calls for universal healthcare systems, even medicare for all. And because of the slacking insurance and because of the ever increasing costs, the response to it will only grow. If the Republicans want to fight it, then they have to do something other than just say "well that sucks". Because that's not going to be a winning strategy in the end. Something has to be done, and if the Republicans won't go after rood causes, then people are going to embrace the Democrats universal healthcare.

Am I speaking with a goldfish? Reread my posts from earlier in the thread if you don’t remember them. Work with the providers to fix the financial incentives underpinning care delivery and help them get a handle on their costs has been ongoing for years now under the ACA. The GOP has been working for years, up to and including the present day, to destroy the ACA and reverse that work.

The ACA does not work with providers to help decrease their costs.

I never claimed that it was perfect. It's a better system, though.

It's only a better system for those in the US who don't have as good as care as single payer would provide. Single payer would be a worse system for those who currently have it better. That's the trouble with the left. They want to destroy half the country in order to help the other half.

I think that if we were going to do something with universal healthcare, it shouldn't be single payer. Hickenlooper talks about how this can be done so that people with insurance that like their insurance can keep their insurance. It's probably the better way to go if Universal Healthcare is where we go. Hickenlooper got Colorado's uninsured down to something like 6% when he was governor.

Many people do have very good health insurance, but the trend these days is for high deductible plans so that people end up paying for the privilege of paying for healthcare. I think the days of good employer-provided insurance may be limited.

And that and the fact that no one is looking at our root causes for healthcare prices is a major reason why so many are responding positively to calls for universal healthcare systems, even medicare for all. And because of the slacking insurance and because of the ever increasing costs, the response to it will only grow. If the Republicans want to fight it, then they have to do something other than just say "well that sucks". Because that's not going to be a winning strategy in the end. Something has to be done, and if the Republicans won't go after rood causes, then people are going to embrace the Democrats universal healthcare.

I was watching Hickenlooper very closely in the beginning. I'm not against voting for Trump. Hell, I didn't vote for him in either the primaries or the general and I have voted a mix of Democrats and Republicans for many decades. I agree that the Hickenlooper plan for healthcare is a far superior idea than MFA while being theoretically a possible bipartisan thing, to a small extent while MFA is not. Unfortunately, we both know that his chances are not as good as a snowball in hell and I'm sure that goes for the VP slot as well. Anyway, Hickenlooper really disappointed me in backing a $15 minimum wage, something that will destroy my life.

It's only a better system for those in the US who don't have as good as care as single payer would provide. Single payer would be a worse system for those who currently have it better. That's the trouble with the left. They want to destroy half the country in order to help the other half.

It would be better for everyone, as costs would go way down and you'd no longer be paying for the uninsured to receive primary care at emergency rooms. It would also make medical bankruptcy a thing of the past. I'm sure that a tiny percentage of people who have health plans that are unbelievably better than the average person might piss and moan, but they'll get good care, too. You can't please everyone, but we can sure do a lot better.

That’ll be news to thousands of providers!

Do you mean giving providers money to defray their costs? That's not decreasing their costs, that's subsidizing their costs. We need to work with them on actually decreasing their costs.

It would be better for everyone, as costs would go way down and you'd no longer be paying for the uninsured to receive primary care at emergency rooms. It would also make medical bankruptcy a thing of the past. I'm sure that a tiny percentage of people who have health plans that are unbelievably better than the average person might piss and moan, but they'll get good care, too. You can't please everyone, but we can sure do a lot better.

It would be better for "everyone" in general averaged statistics. That's the trouble with you guys. You would rather stomp on millions of people who would have it better without single payer so that you can claim your average statistic that it would be better for "everyone". It would screw millions of people, whom you don't give a damn about.

I was watching Hickenlooper very closely in the beginning. I'm not against voting for Trump. Hell, I didn't vote for him in either the primaries or the general and I have voted a mix of Democrats and Republicans for many decades. I agree that the Hickenlooper plan for healthcare is a far superior idea than MFA while being theoretically a possible bipartisan thing, to a small extent while MFA is not. Unfortunately, we both know that his chances are not as good as a snowball in hell and I'm sure that goes for the VP slot as well. Anyway, Hickenlooper really disappointed me in backing a $15 minimum wage, something that will destroy my life.

Hickenlooper is running as a moderate, and I don't think the DNC is interested in putting forth a moderate right now. The 15 dollar min wage is also one of those short sighted band-aids that won't address root causes. First off, it doesn't go up the chain, sort to speak. Meaning, you raise the minimum wage but people not making min wage won't see a raise in their salary because of it. Second, it's inflated away over time. Third, it results either in layoffs or higher prices in some industries (low skill). I think that raising the min wage too much in the end actually ends up putting the squeeze on the middle class more than anything else. Simply raising the min wage does not address any of the fundamentals regarding wealth disparity or economic mobility.

It would be better for "everyone" in general averaged statistics. That's the trouble with you guys. You would rather stomp on millions of people who would have it better without single payer so that you can claim your average statistic that it would be better for "everyone". It would screw millions of people, whom you don't give a damn about.

There's always a bunch of naysayers every time society tries to progress. I'm ok with trying to convince them of the obvious for a while, but I think we're at the point where it's just better to start voting them out and fixing the problem even if they throw tantrums. In a generation, single payer would just seem normal and the kids will look back on this system and say, "wow, that's a ****ed up way to do it." One has to remember that if we always listened to the minority who keeps telling us that we can't accomplish progress, we'd probably still be living in caves and wiping our asses with leaves.

You mean as opposed to the tens of millions pre-ACA who had no insurance or were denied coverage or could be cancelled at any time or have coverage restricted and premiums totally controlled by the private insurers who's only purpose in life was to make a profit?

Hickenlooper is running as a moderate, and I don't think the DNC is interested in putting forth a moderate right now. The 15 dollar min wage is also one of those short sighted band-aids that won't address root causes. First off, it doesn't go up the chain, sort to speak. Meaning, you raise the minimum wage but people not making min wage won't see a raise in their salary because of it. Second, it's inflated away over time. Third, it results either in layoffs or higher prices in some industries (low skill). I think that raising the min wage too much in the end actually ends up putting the squeeze on the middle class more than anything else. Simply raising the min wage does not address any of the fundamentals regarding wealth disparity or economic mobility.

Another aspect is that many people making minimum wage get government benefits, so called corporate welfare. So, if you raise the wage up to a "living wage" then, theoretically, government benefits would cease, meaning that when you raise someone up from $10 per hour to $15 per hour they really wouldn't be making any more money at all. The only difference would be companies would be picking up the tab from the government's benefits programs, which of course that tab would just be passed on to consumers. So, the net effect would be workers would get zero dollars more and instead of the government paying benefits programs, consumers would pick up the welfare (etc) tab. Somehow the left seem to not want to let people know that if the minimum wage were to go up to $15 per hour, they really wouldn't be making any more money at all. It's just merely the left's war against corporations, which wouldn't wind up paying the price in the end anyway.

Last edited:
LOL, like the left never take advantage of every mass shooting for their political agenda. In this case, the left have been screaming for MFA, which actually sucks unless you buy several supplements to it. They want to force MFA on the entire country. This couple are not the only ones who were screwed by Medicare so much that they had to resort to this.

This thread isn't about guns. Did you forget your OP?

I have lived decades with good insurance and good healthcare though my various employers, even when I was poor for many years. That is my reality. I don't want to give up what I have for worse healthcare. The left want to take everyone's health care away.

Again you dishonestly leave out “and replace it with less expensive, better healthcare.” Why the lie?

This thread isn't about guns. Did you forget your OP?

I get that you are always wanting to change the subject. That's all you ever do. You never once want to talk about the issue of any thread.

Are we gonna ****ing pretend you give two ****s about medical bankruptcies?

What's that supposed to mean? You guys are the ones saying you want MFA and yet these people committed murder/suicide because Medicare wasn't so great after all. Are we gonna ****ing pretend you give two ****s about medical bankruptcies?

Again you dishonestly leave out “and replace it with less expensive, better healthcare.” Why the lie?

Won't be less expensive for me. Hell, even Bernie refuses to tell you how much it is all going to cost so how do you know? By the way, it won't be better healthcare and in millions of people's cases, it won't be less expensive either. Even you guys claim that medical outcomes in other countries match the outcomes in the US, so it isn't "better". Medicare sucks by itself. That's why there are so many supplements to buy in addition to it, because it sucks all by itself, you need several different supplements to go along with it. Why is that so hard to admit?

I get that you are always wanting to change the subject. That's all you ever do. You never once want to talk about the issue of any thread.

I didn't bring up guns. You did.

So is this thread about some old couple dying, which you are giddy about because you can exploit their deaths? Or is it about guns?

LOL. So, you think these people did a murder/suicide because they loved their Medicare?

If they did not have Medicare would their economic situation in regards to medical bills been better or worse? Simple question.

Then why do they sell several different kinds of supplements if medicare is so great?

So that you still of choice, of course.

I know you are just trolling. No one, NO ONE thinks Medicare is anything but the best insurance in the country.

Back
Top Bottom