• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Republican Party Is Imploding

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Republicans got it all wrong.

Republicans went into Tuesday's election fully confident that Mitt Romney would defeat Barack Obama.In the three months leading up to the election — and even in the dark days of the "47 percent" video leak — virtually every Republican strategist and conservative politico I spoke to was certain that Romney would pull off a victory. Arguments to the contrary were resoundingly dismissed as "a lot of Nate Silver spin."

Read more: GOP Implodes After Romney Loss - Business Insider

Heh, nate silver spin. I like that, especially given that silver was dead accurate.

Watching Jon Stewart atm.. man he nails it as usual.

maybe we should just start calling reality liberal spin, eh?

reality is neither liberal nor conservative, but just reality. Personally, I see it as a victory for science and math over gut feelings.

This is because of the changing demographics in America. The growing Hispanic and Black population are NOT going to vote Republican. That is a cold hard fact.

That's about the only thing that's working in Spain. :lamo

You should stop listening to Fox News... they are not exactly the most reliable source anymore.

Republicans got it all wrong.

Just to make the point: 4 years ago the GOP was imploding. Then 2010 came along and they dominated the midterms. Then the democratic party was imploding. Then 2012 came along and over 300 electoral votes. Might be a good time to stop saying the other guys are imploding.

Just to make the point: 4 years ago the GOP was imploding. Then 2010 came along and they dominated the midterms. Then the democratic party was imploding. Then 2012 came along and over 300 electoral votes. Might be a good time to stop saying the other guys are imploding.
Agreed. The GOP has a lot of soul searching on their todo list. But they have a couple of 2-year cycles of buffer left from 2010 gerrymandering and an amazing appetite for kool aid, so I don’t expect the full-on upheaval within the party for a while yet and even when it comes the 2 party system is so deeply entrenched that it’ll take more than a couple of Presidential loses for an “implosion” to occur.

I would not say the Dems were imploding after 2010. They took a big hit yes, but considering the country's situation at the time.. then well. People needed someone to blame and that was the Dems. Granted after that swing it is much harder for the Dems to regain power in the house because the GOP has gerrymandered so many districts ... look at Pennsylvania.. a blue state with a big majority of GOP house members and it will remain so because of the districts.

But the GOP is imploding this time around... we can just watch Fox News and see how they are blaming those blacks and minorities for their problems...

Since when would or should anyone going into an election predict or act like they have no chance? This is politics folks. If you don't give your base some hope then they just stay home on election day. Nobody wins until they count the votes. This is simply after election gloating and Monday morning quarterbacking. It is really not very profound.

This is because of the changing demographics in America. The growing Hispanic and Black population are NOT going to vote Republican. That is a cold hard fact.

I agree. The implosion within the GOP is partly caused by not wanting to stoop to the level of Democrats to get the Hispanic and Black votes. I think the only change is strategy that would have helped Romney get more Hispanic votes and not feel like too much sacrifice would have been running with Rubio. With Blacks, you're in for a long haul. Convince one of them to go GOP and you'll have an angry mob blurting racial slurs at that individual. They are the majority in the entitlements group.

I agree. The implosion within the GOP is partly caused by not wanting to stoop to the level of Democrats to get the Hispanic and Black votes. I think the only change is strategy that would have helped Romney get more Hispanic votes and not feel like too much sacrifice would have been running with Rubio. With Blacks, you're in for a long haul. Convince one of them to go GOP and you'll have an angry mob blurting racial slurs at that individual. They are the majority in the entitlements group.

A good place to start would be not gratuitously insulting blacks and hispanics. Not sure how Republicans don't get that you're not going to get the support of the groups that you demonize.

Actually I believe it goes back way further than that. The Dems were 'imploding' in 1980 and 2004. The GOP was imploding in 1996, 2008 and now 2012. There are now cries about the GOP failing to appeal to various minorities. ALL this is just ‘malarkey’. Consider in this election the GOP base realized a 14m reduction from the McCain in '08 (Pres. Obama won by merely 3m). Ultimately the political pendulum swings both ways continually. In THIS election President Obama ran as a populist, seemingly a pop culture star to some, who has presided effectively enough to get re-elected AND Romney ran as a traditional politician couldn’t appeal to a broader group of folks IN HIS BASE. IMHO the electorate this time leaned similarly to that in the Wisconsin recall; let him finish what he started over partisan beliefs. Upon viewing his keynote speech at the ’04 Democratic convention I told my wife he would be the next president AND he would get two terms. He is just too charismatic AND the GOP has none who had this appeal either then or NOW. Both parties had the same issue in 2000. The question both parties must ask now is who is electable in 2016.

Agreed. The GOP has a lot of soul searching on their todo list. But they have a couple of 2-year cycles of buffer left from 2010 gerrymandering and an amazing appetite for kool aid, so I don’t expect the full-on upheaval within the party for a while yet and even when it comes the 2 party system is so deeply entrenched that it’ll take more than a couple of Presidential loses for an “implosion” to occur.

Soul searching is right. They also need to stop representing the party with the fringe and come back to center. Then and only then, will they be taken seriously.

As far as them "imploding" I seem to remember R's and D's taking turns with mini-implosions.

I am in no way a fan of Bill O'Reilly, but he was correct in what he said.
O'Reilly said if Obama wins re-election, it's because the demographics of the country have changed and "it's not a traditional America anymore." He went on to say "The White Establishment Is Now The Minority" and an Obama victory would mean people "want stuff" and they know Obama will give it to them.

LiveLeak.com - Bill O'Reilly: "The White Establishment Is Now The Minority"
If the Republican party does not ''reach out'' to hispanics and blacks, don't expect to see a Republican president again. No matter how bad of a performance a Democratic president shows, they will always vote democrat no matter what.

A good place to start would be not gratuitously insulting blacks and hispanics. Not sure how Republicans don't get that you're not going to get the support of the groups that you demonize.

Sorry buddy, but I don't believe in sugar-coating statements. You look at calling the fat man fat as insulting him. I look at it as the first step in solving a problem, which is identifying the problem.

Sorry buddy, but I don't believe in sugar-coating statements. You look at calling the fat man fat as insulting him. I look at it as the first step in solving a problem, which is identifying the problem.

But the fat man sees you as the problem.

But the fat man sees you as the problem.

That's because the fat man is dilusional and needs to take a step back and look in the mirror. And realize why he has diabetes.

You mean like this:

“I’ll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” —Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”—LBJ

“The Democrats are playing you for a political CHUMP and if you vote for them, not only are you a CHUMP, you are a traitor to your race!” – Malcolm X
MALCOLM X: "You're A Political Chump!" - YouTube

Maybe one day their eyes will be opened...

Back
Top Bottom