• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Glenn Beck Boycott Gaining Traction - FOX News Losing Money

You sure seem interesting in raising taxes? Why? How do you benefit from increased taxes? why is it in the liberal world that people like you ignore the benefits of people keeping more of their own money?

when that issue is raised, you ignore it and run from it, why? Why would you take more money from the American consumer or increase taxes on business that is passed on to the American consumer?

The benefit is things get paid for. Again, historically, there is no evidence taxes hurt the economy at all. We've had economic growth with a high tax base, and without. We've had economic problems with a high tax base and without.

If we are to have services, we must pay for them. That's how it works. To quote a politician whose name I forget from long ago, "those who want government services often want taxes cut. There's a disconnect."

The benefit is things get paid for. Again, historically, there is no evidence taxes hurt the economy at all. We've had economic growth with a high tax base, and without. We've had economic problems with a high tax base and without.

If we are to have services, we must pay for them. That's how it works. To quote a politician whose name I forget from long ago, "those who want government services often want taxes cut. There's a disconnect."

Aw, BS, you are simply too naive beyond words and refuse to even acknowledge how taxes affect you and your family. That is the basic problem with your argument. You ignore that you are just like everyone else, keeping more of your money makes you less dependent on the govt. and that your spending helps create jobs. Workers pay taxes and that grows govt. revenue.

Of course we have to pay for what we NEED and NEED is the operative word. You believe it is the role of the govt. to provide you everything you need, that is not what I was taught nor believe.

You and far too many have been conditioned into believing the govt. is what it was never intended to be. Sad state of affairs when you buy the liberal rhetoric. We do not need a 3.8 trillion dollar federal govt. today and one that Obama is making bigger. It is unsustainable and when you are proven wrong we all suffer for the poor choices you helped make.

Aw, BS, you are simply too naive beyond words and refuse to even acknowledge how taxes affect you and your family. That is the basic problem with your argument. You ignore that you are just like everyone else, keeping more of your money makes you less dependent on the govt. and that your spending helps create jobs. Workers pay taxes and that grows govt. revenue.

Of course we have to pay for what we NEED and NEED is the operative word. You believe it is the role of the govt. to provide you everything you need, that is not what I was taught nor believe.

You and far too many have been conditioned into believing the govt. is what it was never intended to be. Sad state of affairs when you buy the liberal rhetoric. We do not need a 3.8 trillion dollar federal govt. today and one that Obama is making bigger. It is unsustainable and when you are proven wrong we all suffer for the poor choices you helped make.

Need? Not sure I used that word, I used the word services. You really should start addressing what is before you and not some shadowy strawman.

We may argue about what services we should have, which is where I think the argument concerning cuts resides. But if we have the services, need them or otherwise, we have to pay for them. It should always be part of the discussion.

Need? Not sure I used that word, I used the word services. You really should start addressing what is before you and not some shadowy strawman.

We may argue about what services we should have, which is where I think the argument concerning cuts resides. But if we have the services, need them or otherwise, we have to pay for them. It should always be part of the discussion.

What services does the Federal Govt. actually provide that the states and local govt. cannot? you often confuse need with wants and that is a problem. You have a different role for the govt. than I do or I was taught. Please keep running from what happens when you keep more of your own money and how that affects the size of the govt.

What services does the Federal Govt. actually provide that the states and local govt. cannot? you often confuse need with wants and that is a problem. You have a different role for the govt. than I do or I was taught. Please keep running from what happens when you keep more of your own money and how that affects the size of the govt.

I don't confuse anything. I never used either word, need or want.

Whether a state can or can't isn't so much the question. Largely states have asked for federal funds. This opens the door for a federal role. Take health care reform. No one has stopped states from tackling it, and yet, it hasn't been effectively addressed.

For me, it is about problem solving. If you have a better answer, step to the table. Not here on a discussion form, but out there. Have your leaders participate and not just obstruct. If obstruction and misinformation is all you have, get out of the way and let the real work be done.

Whether a state can or can't isn't so much the question. Largely states have asked for federal funds. This opens the door for a federal role. Take health care reform. No one has stopped states from tackling it, and yet, it hasn't been effectively addressed.

For me, it is about problem solving. If you have a better answer, step to the table. Not here on a discussion form, but out there. Have your leaders participate and not just obstruct. If obstruction and misinformation is all you have, get out of the way and let the real work be done.

Yes, unfortunately people like you demand govt. "help" and that has led to the 3.8 trillion dollar govt. we have now.

I am still waiting for obstruction and misinformation that I provide. Facts trump your rhetoric and always will. It isn't the role of the Federal Govt. to provide your healthcare because the Federal Govt. doesn't provide anything well, taxpayers do. If you need healthcare so badly go to the local charities or free clinics and get it. Stop expecting the taxpayers in other states to fund your own personal responsibility.

And where do those Federal funds come from? The states. The Federal government taxes people in the states, and then gives some of the money back to the states. This is ridiculous, and expensive too.

A good first cost cutting measure is to let the states have their own money, and decide what to do with it. With that done, a whole level of bureaucracy is thus eliminated, and a lot of money is saved.

And where do those Federal funds come from? The states. The Federal government taxes people in the states, and then gives some of the money back to the states. This is ridiculous, and expensive too.

A good first cost cutting measure is to let the states have their own money, and decide what to do with it. With that done, a whole level of bureaucracy is thus eliminated, and a lot of money is saved.

Yep, now you are getting it, taxes taken from the people by both the states and the Federal govt. Makes sense only to those who believe it is the role of the Federal govt. to do the things the states do, thus duplication and ineffeciencies.

Perhaps. Not automatically opposed to that, but would have to see more on what would be done. As noted before, states did little overall to tackle health care issues. In some cases, not all, some standards or standardization would benefit the entire country. So, I wouldn't be too dogmatic about it. But I'm not opposed to moving more to the states, especially with some standards as guidelines.

Yes, unfortunately people like you demand govt. "help" and that has led to the 3.8 trillion dollar govt. we have now.

I am still waiting for obstruction and misinformation that I provide. Facts trump your rhetoric and always will. It isn't the role of the Federal Govt. to provide your healthcare because the Federal Govt. doesn't provide anything well, taxpayers do. If you need healthcare so badly go to the local charities or free clinics and get it. Stop expecting the taxpayers in other states to fund your own personal responsibility.

Like I noted earlier, the same people wanting less taxes want services. There really is a disconnect on that.

As for help? I again see it as problem solving. We have a problem and can work together to solve the problem.

Like I noted earlier, the same people wanting less taxes want services. There really is a disconnect on that.

As for help? I again see it as problem solving. We have a problem and can work together to solve the problem.

Right, like one of the biggest lies, "I am from the Federal govt. and am here to help you?"

Right, like one of the biggest lies, "I am from the Federal govt. and am here to help you?"

Don't really know anyone who's ever said that, but it was a good line in its day (lord for some origniality).

Once you see that we are the government, you might begin to understand my point. It is about us, the people, solving problems.

Don't really know anyone who's ever said that, but it was a good line in its day (lord for some origniality).

Once you see that we are the government, you might begin to understand my point. It is about us, the people, solving problems.

We, the people, have spoken out against the healthcare bill and the polls are still negative towards what Obama did. Seems to me that you support We, the People only when the people support your point of view. Our Representatives ignored the will of We, the People, and will pay the price in November. We, the People, can solve the healthcare problem but are being ignored by the leaders in Congress.

We, the people, have spoken out against the healthcare bill and the polls are still negative towards what Obama did. Seems to me that you support We, the People only when the people support your point of view. Our Representatives ignored the will of We, the People, and will pay the price in November. We, the People, can solve the healthcare problem but are being ignored by the leaders in Congress.

Are you running for president of the student body or something?

Not how it works. How it works is we overthrow the government the next election cycle. We do not, and for good reason, vote on each issue. We elect representatives. They act in our interest. If they don't, we elect new representatives. Remember that whole not governing by polls argument republicans used to have? ;)

Not how it works. How it works is we overthrow the government the next election cycle. We do not, and for good reason, vote on each issue. We elect representatives. They act in our interest. If they don't, we elect new representatives. Remember that whole not governing by polls argument republicans used to have? ;)

Yep, and that is what is going to happen in November as more and more people come to realize that what you and your ilk did costs too much, doesn't improve the quality of healthcare, and puts further pressure on the ER's due to the lack of doctors.

More and more people realize that healthcare is a personal responsibility not the taxpayer responsibility and that the role of the govt. isn't to provide cradle to grave coverage.

Yep, and that is what is going to happen in November as more and more people come to realize that what you and your ilk did costs too much, doesn't improve the quality of healthcare, and puts further pressure on the ER's due to the lack of doctors.

More and more people realize that healthcare is a personal responsibility not the taxpayer responsibility and that the role of the govt. isn't to provide cradle to grave coverage.

And if it does, that's how it is suppose to work. I may disagree with the out come, but not the process.

And frankly, your ilk has cost us a lot over the years, unless you think two wars don't cost anything.

As for personal responsibility, who is responsible for using the er? For being uninsured? And who is paying today for those "responsible" people? Care to buy bandaids from me for $16.04?

Um, how will insuring more people put more pressure on ERs?

And if it does, that's how it is suppose to work. I may disagree with the out come, but not the process.

And frankly, your ilk has cost us a lot over the years, unless you think two wars don't cost anything.

As for personal responsibility, who is responsible for using the er? For being uninsured? And who is paying today for those "responsible" people? Care to buy bandaids from me for $16.04?

No one said that the two wars didn't cost anything but they have cost less than that one attack on 9/11. It is the role of the Federal govt. to protect this country not provide cradle to grave coverage.

Not sure where you went to school but if you believe it is the role of the govt. to provide healthcare for all then that school is badly broken.

As for bandaids. I prefer to buy my own not force you to buy them for me. Why do you continue to ignore that the insured are using the ER's because of the doctor shortage and inability to get into seeing one? How does adding 30 million more solve that problem?

No one said that the two wars didn't cost anything but they have cost less than that one attack on 9/11. It is the role of the Federal govt. to protect this country not provide cradle to grave coverage.

Not sure where you went to school but if you believe it is the role of the govt. to provide healthcare for all then that school is badly broken.

As for bandaids. I prefer to buy my own not force you to buy them for me. Why do you continue to ignore that the insured are using the ER's because of the doctor shortage and inability to get into seeing one? How does adding 30 million more solve that problem?

Those wars did nothing to protect us from 9/11, especially Iraq which was completely unrelated (At least OBL was in Afghanistan).

But we are buying them for many. That's why they cost that much. We are, right now, before reform, paying for everyone who isn't insured. What you say you don't want, you're doing right now, without reform.

As for the role of government, we are the government. We can decide what we do to solve problems. And we can use government as a tool to work our solution to the problem.

Boo Radley;1058659062]Those wars did nothing to protect us from 9/11, especially Iraq which was completely unrelated (At least OBL was in Afghanistan).

That is your opinion and right out of the liberal play book. Fact is after 9/11 it took us almost 1 1/2 years to attack Iraq. Since the attack on Iraq and Afghanistan we haven't been attacked since and thousands of al Qaeda have been killed or captured many in Iraq. Hindsight is 20/20 but it serves no purpose other than diversion to relive the reasons for going into Iraq.

But we are buying them for many. That's why they cost that much. We are, right now, before reform, paying for everyone who isn't insured. What you say you don't want, you're doing right now, without reform.

We are buying them for the insured, just like the uninsured. We are also buying them for illegal aliens and nothing in this bill solves that problem.

As for the role of government, we are the government. We can decide what we do to solve problems. And we can use government as a tool to work our solution to the problem.

Same old argument again when proven wrong. The American people voted for change they can believe in in November, not chang in everything they believe in. We live in a divided nation and have a President who promised like many to change the tone in Washington and to do the will of the people. The will of the people was to defeat this legislation that he jammed down our throats.

you like far too many have a passion for this legislation but ignore the possibility that you could be wrong. This is a multi TRILLION dollar mistake if you are wrong, but what the hell it is only money, someone else's? No, you are paying for this POS with the additional taxes you are going to pay.

That is your opinion and right out of the liberal play book. Fact is after 9/11 it took us almost 1 1/2 years to attack Iraq. Since the attack on Iraq and Afghanistan we haven't been attacked since and thousands of al Qaeda have been killed or captured many in Iraq. Hindsight is 20/20 but it serves no purpose other than diversion to relive the reasons for going into Iraq.

I think it is a little more than that as there is no real way it could logically have protected us from anything. None of the attackers came form Iraq. None were supported by Iraqi money. None were even from Afghanistan for that matter and they got no financial support from that country either. It's hard to argue you can beat Tarzan by attacking Jane.

And most those capture, especially in Iraq, had nothing to do with those who attacked us. They were Iraqis using the name. Kind of like saying girl scouts calling themselves the New Orleans Saints and you thinking you beat the world champions when you and your friends beat them in a football game.

And frankly, people knew this going in, and stated so. That's called foresight and not hindsight.

We are buying them for the insured, just like the uninsured. We are also buying them for illegal aliens and nothing in this bill solves that problem.

It solves a good part of the problem. The illegal problem will have to be addressed with something else. But saying fixing one thing means nothing is fixed is kind of silly, not to mention false.

Same old argument again when proven wrong. The American people voted for change they can believe in in November, not chang in everything they believe in. We live in a divided nation and have a President who promised like many to change the tone in Washington and to do the will of the people. The will of the people was to defeat this legislation that he jammed down our throats.

you like far too many have a passion for this legislation but ignore the possibility that you could be wrong. This is a multi TRILLION dollar mistake if you are wrong, but what the hell it is only money, someone else's? No, you are paying for this POS with the additional taxes you are going to pay.

The nation has been divided for some time. Bush took us to new levels of division long before Obama, and Bush even worked hard to foster that divide.

There is always a possibility of being wrong. You may be wrong. But that possibility doesn't mean we do noting. Nothing done can't be modified later. So, being wrong is hardly the end of the world. But doing nothing is irresponsible as we know the problem will continue to grow.

I think it is a little more than that as there is no real way it could logically have protected us from anything. None of the attackers came form Iraq. None were supported by Iraqi money. None were even from Afghanistan for that matter and they got no financial support from that country either. It's hard to argue you can beat Tarzan by attacking Jane.

And most those capture, especially in Iraq, had nothing to do with those who attacked us. They were Iraqis using the name. Kind of like saying girl scouts calling themselves the New Orleans Saints and you thinking you beat the world champions when you and your friends beat them in a football game.

And frankly, people knew this going in, and stated so. That's called foresight and not hindsight.

It solves a good part of the problem. The illegal problem will have to be addressed with something else. But saying fixing one thing means nothing is fixed is kind of silly, not to mention false.

The nation has been divided for some time. Bush took us to new levels of division long before Obama, and Bush even worked hard to foster that divide.

There is always a possibility of being wrong. You may be wrong. But that possibility doesn't mean we do noting. Nothing done can't be modified later. So, being wrong is hardly the end of the world. But doing nothing is irresponsible as we know the problem will continue to grow.

How does this POS legislation solve part of the problem when there aren't enough doctors or hospitals to handle the demand now without an additional 30 million on the roles?

How does this POS legislation lower costs of healthcare by increasing the number by 30 million. That is illogical and absolutely wrong.

How many of the people using the ER's are illegal? You say that is a problem that has to be addressed but hasn't been. So what you are going to do is add another 30 million to the healthcare roles but not address the shortage of doctors and hospitals nor the illegal immigrant problem. That makes the problem worse.

Here is what our founders thought of the commerce clause but that liberals ignore

"They are not to do anything they please to provide for the general welfare.... [G]iving a distinct and independent power to do any act they please which may be good for the Union, would render all the preceding and subsequent enumerations of power completely useless. It would reduce the whole instrument to a single phrase, that of instituting a Congress with power to do whatever would be for the good of the United States; and as they sole judges of the good or evil, it would be also a power to do whatever evil they please."
-- Thomas Jefferson

James Madison, the Father of the Constitution, elaborated upon the limitation in a letter to James Robertson:

With respect to the two words "general welfare," I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators. If the words obtained so readily a place in the "Articles of Confederation," and received so little notice in their admission into the present Constitution, and retained for so long a time a silent place in both, the fairest explanation is, that the words, in the alternative of meaning nothing or meaning everything, had the former meaning taken for granted.

"Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government."
--James Madison

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one...."
-- James Madison, letter to Edmund Pendleton, January 21, 1792

There are more than enough doctors to go around. Not to mention Physician assistants and Nurse practitioners. And more will be coming.

As for your quotes, I'm not entirely sure how you think they apply. Again, I see it as problem solving and not charity or right. Explain your purpose with the quotes.

Let me add this quote:

Each individual of the society has a right to be protected by it in the enjoyment of his life, liberty, and property, according to standing laws. He is obliged, consequently, to contribute his share to the expense of this protection; and to give his personal service, or an equivalent, when necessary. But no part of the property of any individual can, with justice, be taken from him, or applied to public uses, without his own consent, or that of the representative body of the people. In fine, the people of this commonwealth are not controllable by any other laws than those to which their constitutional representative body have given their consent.

John Adams, Thoughts on Government, 1776

Last edited:
There are more than enough doctors to go around. Not to mention Physician assistants and Nurse practitioners. And more will be coming.

As for your quotes, I'm not entirely sure how you think they apply. Again, I see it as problem solving and not charity or right. Explain your purpose with the quotes.

then why are insured using the ER's for routine services? Keep spinning and ignoring reality. You are an example of what is wrong with this country in that you cannot admit that you just could be wrong in addition to the fact that you cannot explain how this bill lowers healthcare costs and improves quality?

The quotes apply in that they address the liberal argument that it is the role of the govt. to provide healthcare to all citizens and have the ability to tax people to generate that healthcare.

Back
Top Bottom