• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 2018 Major Leage Baseball Thread

I think the Mariners are being runned by the browns.

Their gm struck out to his former team and they traded some good prospects for a weak hitting 2nd to play him at cf, a position he never played.

You can take Darvish and the horse he rode in on.

Looks like Ohtani is going to the Angels, via unconfirmed reports.

Cubs will probably go after Darvish, and/or Cobb.

Jeter is trying to unload stanton on the yankees. Nice try dj. To take on that contract the marlins would need to take ellsbury contract and perhaps throw in a few prospects.

And the West Coast it is.......

Shohei Ohtani agrees to sign with Los Angeles Angels

Japanese two-way sensation Shohei Ohtani will join forces with the greatest player on the planet - Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels.

Ohtani on Friday agreed to sign with the Angels, ending a weeklong bidding for his services that included seven finalists, including four of the five teams based in California.

In the end, it was the Angels who will for the next six seasons will enjoy the talents of Ohtani, 23, who was widely regarded as the hottest free agent in this year’s market even before officially being posted by the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters, which finally happened Dec. 1.

“We are honored Shohei Ohtani has decided to join the Angels organization," the Angels said in a written statement. "We felt a unique connectivity with him throughout the process and are excited he will become an Angel."

Often referred to as the Babe Ruth of Japan, Ohtani combines a 100-mph fastball and refined breaking ball as a right-handed pitcher with big power potential as a left-handed hitter. He was hampered by ankle and thigh injuries last season but was named the MVP of Japan’s Pacific League in 2016 after going 10-4 with a 1.86 ERA while batting .322 with 22 homers and a 1.004 OPS.

Ohtani’s bargain-basement price also made him appealing to all major league teams, even with the $20 million posting fee attached to him. Because of restrictions on the signing of international free agents, clubs could only offer Ohtani whatever they had left from their assigned bonus money, with the Texas Rangers holding the largest amount at about $3.54 million.

He took a discount to sign with the Angels, who wheeled and dealed to free up more international signing money and can offer him a package worth $2.3 million.

Said Nez Balelo, Ohtani's agent at Creative Artists Agency: “I want to thank the clubs and everyone else for respecting our intent to make this very important process as private as possible. We were resolved to having a fair, methodical process. Teams clearly put in a lot of work, and we are grateful for that.

"The past few weeks also further demonstrated Shohei’s incredible thoughtfulness, attention to detail and determination to make an informed decision. He read every page of every presentation and listened to every word in each meeting, and he was so impressed that it was not an easy choice. While there has been much speculation about what would drive Shohei’s decision, what mattered to him most wasn’t market size, time zone or league but that he felt a true bond with the Angels. He sees this as the best environment to develop and reach the next level and attain his career goals. More than ever, I believe this is not only a special talent but a man of special character, and like everyone else I’m excited to see him in Major League Baseball.”

Had he waited until turning 25, Ohtani likely would have commanded a nine-figure contract. He’s expected to make up much of that lost revenue in endorsements, rendering Ohtani’s choice of employers more about non-financial considerations than the size of his deal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/12/08/shohei-ohtani-agrees-sign-los-angeles-angels/920214001/

But short-term its an excellent deal.

What do the Yankees care about his insane contract, they've got money to burn

They might have money to burn, but I’ll bet this takes them out of any Bryce Harper or Manny Machado sweepstakes next year. Also, if Judge keeps up like last season, he will want a contract larger than Stanton’s.

They might have money to burn, but I’ll bet this takes them out of any Bryce Harper or Manny Machado sweepstakes next year. Also, if Judge keeps up like last season, he will want a contract larger than Stanton’s
Aaron Judge isnt arbitration eligible till 2020, and doesnt become a free agent until 2023.

The Yankees basically own him for next few years

Aaron Judge isnt arbitration eligible till 2020, and doesnt become a free agent until 2023.

The Yankees basically own him for next few years

Yes, but they’ll also have that Stanton contract until 2028, unless Stanton opts out after 2020.

Yes, but they’ll also have that Stanton contract until 2028, unless Stanton opts out after 2020
True, but I think we're looking a little too far ahead into the future. Judge could be injury-prone and have a few off-seasons which will diminish his value.

But I agree with the sentiment that these insane long-term contracts need to be stopped given to players. The Marlins are at fault here, and I really think MLB should pose some type of annual limit. It hurts baseball I think

True, but I think we're looking a little too far ahead into the future. Judge could be injury-prone and have a few off-seasons which will diminish his value.

But I agree with the sentiment that these insane long-term contracts need to be stopped given to players. The Marlins are at fault here, and I really think MLB should pose some type of annual limit. It hurts baseball I think

I don’t think the contracts need to stop, if that’s what a team wants to do, go for it. I just thought the Yankees would have learned better after the A-Rod deal that they regretted.

I think 13 years (which is what Stanton got) is too long.

Jeezus, its almost a decade and a half :shock:

Last edited:
Young aaron boone will have to come up with a solid lineup:

1. Gardner lf
2. Judge rf
3. Dirty bird 1b
4. Sir didi ss
5. Stanton dh
6. Sanchez c
7. Hicks cf
8. Headley 3b
9. Torres 2b

I hear even with stanton they will remain below the lux tax.

They should focus on trading ellsbury and packaging Betances with him.

Brett gardner and headleys contract end next year, so we can still get manny machado next year.

I hear even with stanton they will remain below the lux tax.

They should focus on trading ellsbury and packaging Betances with him.

Brett gardner and headleys contract end next year, so we can still get manny machado next year.

Won’t happen. Not even the Yankees are stupid enough to have close to $1 billion wrapped up on extremely long contracts for 2 players.

Won’t happen. Not even the Yankees are stupid enough to have close to $1 billion wrapped up on extremely long contracts for 2 players.

The yankees could have signed harper and machado. Stanton replaces harper at a discount rate.

Harper will probably get 300-40 million. The yankees got stantons contract and didnt even have to pay the full amount. They are only paying about 240 mil.

He's in his early 20's? Going to a completely different and for him strange country? I would go to where I would feel the most comfortable. And NYC or Boston ain't it.

I live in NY. I love it, I can afford to live anywhere I want. But I stay in NY..Because I like it so much.. BUT when I worked I met a TON of young kids out of college from Indiana, Kansas, Dakota, etc. who came here to work at the company where I worked. The cultural shock to 'SOME' of them was like being hit over the head with a hammer. Some loved it, some hated it and left within months. Some college 'recruits' refused to even come here because NY scared the hell out of them.

This kid is what? 23? I can understand him wanting to go to the West Coast where there are many more and much larger Japanese Communities.

After so many years if he gets comfortable then maybe he'll look elsewhere.

You see, that's the difference between a winner in Stanton, and a loser in Ohtani. An LA Kid declines a trade to prominent franchises in St. Louis and San Francisco so he can go to 'the' team in New York.

Ohtani didn't want to go to a team with another Japanese player. He wanted teams to submit proposals. He didn't want handle a high pressure situation. All this for a kid that has never proven anything in mlb.

And he picks Anaheim, California. The kid didn't have the grit or toughness to choice a sports town like Boston, NY, Chicago, etc..

I wouldn't be surprised if Ohtani has terrible road numbers.

You see, that's the difference between a winner in Stanton, and a loser in Ohtani. An LA Kid declines a trade to prominent franchises in St. Louis and San Francisco so he can go to 'the' team in New York.

Ohtani didn't want to go to a team with another Japanese player. He wanted teams to submit proposals. He didn't want handle a high pressure situation. All this for a kid that has never proven anything in mlb.

And he picks Anaheim, California. The kid didn't have the grit or toughness to choice a sports town like Boston, NY, Chicago, etc..

I wouldn't be surprised if Ohtani has terrible road numbers.

I’ll bet Ohtani puts up a higher batting average than Stanton.

Ohtani has yet to play one inning, how come you guys are so sure he won't flop??

His Japanese numbers are good, but they're not great

And I bet Stanton hits x2 the HR's that Ohtani does. Maybe x3.

For sure, but for as much as Stanton is paid, he should be batting .360 every year, not .260, with 60 home runs.

Back
Top Bottom