• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tacoma police officers acquitted

Yes, I don't think beating the shit out of someone whose taken an overdose for a bit of a potty mouth is a good look for the police.

These guys would instantly be fired in the UK and be on trial for their actions.
Again...without knowing shit about hit, you already have them condemned. they were put on trial...and they were acquitted. Probably because the trial involved more than a headline and 12 judgemental pricks with a personal axe to grind.

"Died in police custody" is a euphemism. Suspects spend a lot more time in a cell, under no physical duress at all, and the chance they will die of natural causes is proportionate to that time.

This guy died with cops kneeling on him and restraining him in various ways. That is not just "in custody." It's under physical duress.

Are cops really such snowflakes that even with superior numbers, they have to resort to chokeholds and compression methods that endanger the suspect's life? Maybe we should pay them more, or train them more, or I don't even know ... but why can't we have better cops?

Again...without knowing shit about hit, you already have them condemned. they were put on trial...and they were acquitted. Probably because the trial involved more than a headline and 12 judgemental pricks with a personal axe to grind.

"12 judgemental pricks with a personal axe to grind" you say. Why do you have such disrespect for the flower of US justice, which is trial by jury?

Did you watch the video? At what point do they have a sedate enough perpetrator to respond to a medical needs situation?
But aren’t you the one who says you don’t know enough but have all these opinions on how the arrested man is supposed to act while under the influence of drugs. You can’t have it both ways

Indeed. Ive already posted that. Most cooperative people dont get arrested and most that fight with cops do.

Funny how that works.
So the police just aren’t trained well enough. I agree. It was a bad arrest by bad cops

But aren’t you the one who says you don’t know enough but have all these opinions on how the arrested man is supposed to act while under the influence of drugs. You can’t have it both ways
Being voluntarily intoxicated is not an excuse for criminal behaviour.

"Died in police custody" is a euphemism. Suspects spend a lot more time in a cell, under no physical duress at all, and the chance they will die of natural causes is proportionate to that time.

This guy died with cops kneeling on him and restraining him in various ways. That is not just "in custody." It's under physical duress.

Are cops really such snowflakes that even with superior numbers, they have to resort to chokeholds and compression methods that endanger the suspect's life? Maybe we should pay them more, or train them more, or I don't even know ... but why can't we have better cops?
We permit this because of tough on crime ideology.

We permit this because of tough on crime ideology.

It's astounding what people are willing to accept from US police.
The US and UK police are nothing like each other and are trained completely differently.
UK police are trained to deescalate situations while US police are trained to eliminate any threat however they see fit.

The information from the OP Source makes it pretty clear that the officers are guilty.

The US and UK police are nothing like each other and are trained completely differently.
UK police are trained to deescalate situations while US police are trained to eliminate any threat however they see fit.
To be fair to cops... they are getting a lot better. A lot. I still watch the 1st Amendment Auditors videos and they find themselves dealing with bad cops less and less and chill cops more and more... who knows how the cops are out on the beat though... and too many departments are still out of control and do not have bodycams, etc.

Because we deliberately hire the least intelligent and pay them cheaply. Also we emphasize law enforcement rather than keeping the peace. An officer should know the law they are enforcing should they go that route, they should also shrive to NOT arrest people except were it is CLEARLY warranted as in the persons in question are a clear and present danger to others or by court order. Otherwise it should be cite and go if even that. Doing this along with a policy of supporting self defense aggressively will go a long way in bring support of the public back. Chaining people up should be for no less than VERY good substantive reason.

yep

learn to cooperate with authority and live to see another day
I am a cop. I know my fellow cops. Some of them have rage issues. Loads of adrenaline makes that worse. Those police officers should be moved to the property locker or community outreach.
Ok you do that the next time you get beaten by police.

Some people have been beaten even when cooperating so what were they supposed to do?
Sometimes there are moments where there are no guarantees. You get the police you put up with.
which people were you referencing who were cooperative and then beaten while cooperating
Philandro Castile.

I seem to remember an incident in Chelsea where a young man called the police on a trespasser. When they arrived they found that the trespasser had left, so they maced the young man who called until he died. This was about a week after the big London riots over police misbehavior.

I am a cop. I know my fellow cops. Some of them have rage issues. Loads of adrenaline makes that worse. Those police officers should be moved to the property locker or community outreach.

Sometimes there are moments where there are no guarantees. You get the police you put up with.

Philandro Castile.
Philando Castile did not live long enough to get beat up. the scared cop fired at nothing more than the fear castile might pull the gun out, which weapon castile announced to the cop he had in the car and that he was not reaching for it. the cop did not wait to see that he was not reaching for it

that was a bad shoot because castile did cooperate - in every way - and still got shot and the cop still got acquited. that was a miscarriage of justice

that noted, when examining police shootings, in almost every incident, the deceased was non-compliant with the police instructions

Philando Castile did not live long enough to get beat up. the scared cop fired at nothing more than the fear castile might pull the gun out, which weapon castile announced to the cop he had in the car and that he was not reaching for it. the cop did not wait to see that he was not reaching for it

that was a bad shoot because castile did cooperate - in every way - and still got shot and the cop still got acquited. that was a miscarriage of justice
Precisely.
that noted, when examining police shootings, in almost every incident, the deceased was non-compliant with the police instructions
Happens all the time.

Your claims suggest the opposite is true.

Being voluntarily intoxicated is not an excuse for criminal behaviour.
Who said it was. But an intoxicated person should not be abused by the police either

I seem to remember an incident in Chelsea where a young man called the police on a trespasser. When they arrived they found that the trespasser had left, so they maced the young man who called until he died. This was about a week after the big London riots over police misbehavior.

These acts are unbelievably rare and the police here don't have QI so they can be charged for breaking the rules.
The number of people killed by police in the UK is 11 this decade.

This is a case I’ve been following, and I’m thankful to say justice was served, these honorable policemen were trying to arrest a non cooperative suspect who unfortunately died in custody. Initially the use of force was considered ok, but when George Floyd had an overdose activists worked to reopen this case and railroad these officers.
Of course the left wing regime attempted to railroad them like Chauvin, but fortunately these officers had a good defense and were acquitted on all charges.
I too am glad that the lynch mob failed to harm these officers. But I think we need to curtail restraining suspects in a prone position. It appears that restraining people in a prone position can lead to them dying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very seldom?
They're the police it shouldn't be acceptable for them to ever attack people.
The fact that you think it's fine that some do is telling.
US police behaviour would not be acceptable in Europe as they act like an occupying force in a combat zone against your own citizens.
You don't even train them to know the laws they're supposed to uphold.
Nonsense. Sometimes police officers are required to use force.

Witnesses of the act said the police attacked the victim after he said something.
I don't believe them.

Now what?

Does it sound reasonable to you that a bunch of police should be so upset about something he said that they felt the need to beat him to death?
I don't believe that that is what happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How exactly should police officers confront people who violently resist them??

"12 judgemental pricks with a personal axe to grind" you say. Why do you have such disrespect for the flower of US justice, which is trial by jury?
Nothing wrong with complaining about an unjust verdict.

Police officers can't afford to wait and see if "what someone is reaching for" is a gun or not.

If a police officer tells you to stop reaching for something, stop reaching for it and keep your hands empty and visible.

Then communicate with them what you were trying to do, ask them how they want you to proceed, and follow their instructions.

That is incorrect. Philando Castile disregarded multiple commands, delivered with increasing urgency and intensity, to stop reaching for whatever object he was reaching for.

I said hen and still believe that Yanez...the cop that shot Castile..should have been convicted. Bad shoots are bad shoots. The fear of the officer doesnt negate the bad action.

These acts are unbelievably rare and the police here don't have QI so they can be charged for breaking the rules.
QI has nothing to do with charges. Don’t write if you’re ignorant of the topic
The number of people killed by police in the UK is 11 this decade.
Good for you. Then again your police basically shrug their shoulder at Paki grooming gangs and do nothing about them so maybe I don’t care to follow your example. Nor is it really a national tragedy when non compliant criminal suspects die in the course of resisting police

I said hen and still believe that Yanez...the cop that shot Castile..should have been convicted. Bad shoots are bad shoots. The fear of the officer doesnt negate the bad action.
Why should he have been convicted? People (police officers included) have the right to defend themselves from a credible threat.

The guy kept reaching for an unknown object while disregarding repeated commands (delivered with escalating urgency) not to do so.

That's why they were not able to fire the officer and had to pay him a ton of cash to voluntarily quit his job.

Why should he have been convicted? People (police officers included) have the right to defend themselves from a credible threat.

The guy kept reaching for an unknown object while disregarding repeated commands (delivered with escalating urgency) not to do so.

That's why they were not able to fire the officer and had to pay him a ton of cash to voluntarily quit his job.
Philando Castile did not present a credible threat. He was a law abiding citizen, a legal concealed carry holder, informed the officer that he was and gave the officer no reason to fear for his life. I'm very pro law enforcement, but being pro law enforcement does NOT mean we should absolve law enforcement of their responsibilities. Yanez killed a man not for the mans action but his own fears. That requires accountability...even from good people that **** up. .

Back
Top Bottom