• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court snubs Trump, keeps DACA immigration program in place for now

Meanwhile, it prevents the government from deporting DREAMers seven days from now.

It still isn't a blow. it will go to the appeals court then probably back to the supreme court.
they will rule on it eventually just not now.

That's true. What I meant is that the ruling effectively suspends the administration's termination of DACA.

Which is crazy since it is an EO and not the law as passed by congress. This is clearly judicial activism allowing a past EO to be "repeal proof" by the current POTUS.

It still isn't a blow. it will go to the appeals court then probably back to the supreme court.
they will rule on it eventually just not now.

The president can't terminate DACA next Monday like he wanted. That's called a blow. Kind of like all his imbecilic travel bans that still can't be enforced after a year.

Which is crazy since it is an EO and not the law as passed by congress. This is clearly judicial activism allowing a past EO to be "repeal proof" by the current POTUS.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but SCOTUS's refusal to hear this case indicates that the EO was not as egregious and unconstitutional an action as some people like to think.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but SCOTUS's refusal to hear this case indicates that the EO was not as egregious and unconstitutional an action as some people like to think.

The appeals process is ongoing.

The appeals process is ongoing.

all they did was refuse to hear the injunction appeal.
people are blowing this up out of the water.

The president can't terminate DACA next Monday like he wanted. That's called a blow. Kind of like all his imbecilic travel bans that still can't be enforced after a year.

Trump does not want to terminate DACA - he wants to use DACA as a bargaining chip to get demorats in congress to agree to borrow the funds ($25B?) to build the Great Wall Of Trump since he can't seem to get Mexico to pay for it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...daca-immigration-program-place-now/371730002/

"The action represents*a temporary victory for*the young adults brought to the U.S. illegally by their parents or guardians under*the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program established by President Barack Obama in 2012. And it represents a major setback for the Trump administration, which vowed*to continue the legal battle in the lower courts."

So the judicial system swats down another manufactured crisis. The March 5, deadline was always arbitrary, but Congress still needs to work expeditiously to resolve an issue that most Americans want solved and on which most of them agree.

The Supreme Court created a Constitutional crisis. The Obama Administration didn't have the power to inact DACA and the courts don't have the power to order it enforced.

President Trump should just ignore the ruling and end DACA.

Yes, he can and he should.

I don't know what gives you the impression that undocumented immigrants matter more to "left wingers" than US citizens, but I soundly reject that assertion. It certainly doesn't apply to me, even as a liberal.

The SCOTUS declined to hear the case. That sends a pretty loud and clear message.

Undocumented immigrants who were brought here as CHILDREN matter to us, because they are a part of the community and they should not be punished.

That is apart from the larger issue of illegal undocumented immigrants.

the travel bans are in effect.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/us/politics/trump-travel-ban-supreme-court.html

*sigh*

it isn't a blow at all. geez.

*sigh*

Not really. Everyone with ties to people living in the US was exempted from the ban. SCOTUS only agreed to delay a proper hearing until the spring, as yet another signal to the executive branch to figure out what it's trying to do in the absence of legislative direction.

I say the refusal to hear this case is a blow to the administration. You say it's not. Whatever. But consider who filed and lost the appeal. Oh, that's right. It was the administration.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2018/01/travelling-ban

*sigh*

Not really. Everyone with ties to people living in the US was exempted from the ban. SCOTUS only agreed to delay a proper hearing until the spring, as yet another signal to the executive branch to figure out what it's trying to do in the absence of legislative direction.

I say the refusal to hear this case is a blow to the administration. You say it's not. Whatever. But consider who filed and lost the appeal. Oh, that's right. It was the administration.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2018/01/travelling-ban

i can say the moon is made of cheese doesn't make it so.

The only thing they didn't here was the appeal on the injunction, because the case is still pending in the lower courts.
that is typical.

travel ban is in effect sorry to tell you.

I know, but consider who the OP is and his history....

Irrespective of the OP, it is strange that in the US one side of the political spectrum gets accused of some form of disloyalty. I may think that conservatives are wrong, or suggest they are ignoring the Constitution or our political traditions, but would never think them somehow disloyal, whatever that means. (Note that with all this Russia stuff, no one seems to suggest Trump is disloyal.) The theme goes back decades. I don’t think this happens in other countries.

Been reading a book, “High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of An American Classic.” Things have gotten better since the strange 1950s.

Last edited:
Trump does not want to terminate DACA - he wants to use DACA as a bargaining chip to get demorats in congress to agree to borrow the funds ($25B?) to build the Great Wall Of Trump since he can't seem to get Mexico to pay for it.

Oh, I know. Just like the Republicans held CHIP hostage for political advantage. Unfortunately for the moron president, he assigned an unenforceable deadline to a DACA resolution that the courts invalidated. So the then-candidate lied to all his voters about who would pay for the wall (Mexico said before the election that it would never pay), that fell apart, he wants to spend $25 billion of American taxpayers' money to sustain a failed campaign promise, and we're supposed to believe that he has any good intentions related to the DREAMers. Nah, I smelled a rat years ago.

The Supreme Court created a Constitutional crisis. The Obama Administration didn't have the power to inact DACA and the courts don't have the power to order it enforced.

The president of the US should ignore the judicial process of the country.

Every time I think you have posted the dumbest thing you can, you surprise me by posting dumber.

Still I scratch my head wondering why illegal aliens are so much more important to left wingers than their fellow American citizens.

This decision is not anything like a final decision on the matter. I have faith that the court will uphold the law. Otherwise, what is the point of having a country?

Otherwise, what was the point of electing Trump? It was all about keeping a SCOTUS nomination out of Democratic hands, wannit?

Oh, I know. Just like the Republicans held CHIP hostage for political advantage. Unfortunately for the moron president, he assigned an unenforceable deadline to a DACA resolution that the courts invalidated. So the then-candidate lied to all his voters about who would pay for the wall (Mexico said before the election that it would never pay), that fell apart, he wants to spend $25 billion of American taxpayers' money to sustain a failed campaign promise, and we're supposed to believe that he has any good intentions related to the DREAMers. Nah, I smelled a rat years ago.

Yep, just like Trump traded more defense borrowing for more domestic spending borrowing and called it a win. Trump is betting that a tax cut will counter any objection to the increase in the deficit required to "fund" it. That is why I refused to vote for Trump - cut taxes and increase spending is insane policy. At least we don't have major inflation - yet.

Undocumented immigrants who were brought here as CHILDREN matter to us, because they are a part of the community and they should not be punished.

That is apart from the larger issue of illegal undocumented immigrants.

Hard to understand why those people, who are functionally Americans, don't just go to the head of the line. The US is gonna accept a million or so immigrants this year. Why not them?

He can't and still hope to get funding to build the Great Wall of Trump. Trump was going to let the "good hombres" stay all along and the demorats know that - he simply can't deport 10 to 12 million folks no matter what. Trump will do just what Obama did - deport only the worst of the worst and brag about it.

But I don't have a problem with deporting the no-goodniks and very few people do. It's when they deport some doctor who has lived here for forty years because he didn't pay a parking ticket, that chaps my ass.

Back
Top Bottom